University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food is pretty good for the most part. It's a lot better than high school cafeteria food. The dining halls offer a variety of food, such as Thai, Chinese, Indian, Vegetarian, Mexican, and even regular American food like hamburgers and french fries. It all depends on what the students ask for. They serve delicious desert every night! The dining halls are very spacious, and a lot of socializing goes on there. It's a place to relax and eat with friends. There are also many cafes and campus restaurants on campus that are absolutely delicious. The Hub is a very popular place that students go to eat at. There is a Coffee Bean located on campus, as well as a Panda Express. Overall, I'd have to say the food is pretty satisfying.

There are a few options, before you go to the school you have a dining plan which you choose, which is the Tartan-150 100 dining dollars 5 guest passes Gold-100 meals 200 dining dollars and 3 guest passes, and blue-75 meals 225 dining dollars and no guest passes your dining dollars are distributed quarterly and whatever you don't use rolls over, you can use them at the Hub, or the campus stores. Lothian has the dining hall, along with Logos if you are on the run, bear necessities for late night snacks and spanellies if you like to eat late. Or you can go to A-I restaurant

UCR definitely does offer something for everybody dining wise. I would know because I work for the university's dining services. Besides the fact that almost every major fast food restaurant is within a mile of UCR, on campus there are several different options. The HUB offers a wide range of foods from sushi to italian food, the residence halls also offer something for everyone including vegetarian and vegan options. UCR offers food choices from different parts of the world and makes it available to students.

One of the dorms has its own dining hall, though not all of them do. On campus, there is the hub, which has pizza, Panda Express, a Sandwich place, sushi, and several other places. Just a bit off campus is a cafe and another sandwich place. If you don't mind the walk, just about 10 minutes can get you food from pretty much any nation or fast food chain except In-n-Out. There's also a grocer store nearby.

Food and dining is really good at UCR, especially for those who dorm. There are good vegetarian options that you wouldn't expect to find on a college campus, and overall something from all the categories so that you don't get bored eating the same thing every day. The HUB has good variety and is in the middle of campus, right next to Latitude 55 where you can play pool, darts, or XBOX while you eat.

1. Dining Halls (average quality dorm food) 2. Panda Express 3. The Barn (mainly burgers, pasta, sandwiches, and wings) - decent 4. La Fiamma (Pasta/Pizza) 5. Honor Roll (really bad sushi...) 6. Stacked (pretty much like a Subway) 7. Coffee Bean 8. El Sol (Soon to be Habanero - Chipotle style food) Just eat off campus. It's way better.

The good on campus are extremely expensive for commuting students, so its best to eat at nearby fast food restaurants.