University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

The classes are huge so if students don't go to office hours, their professor will never know them. My favorite class was Religious Myths and Rituals, the diversity at UCR is quite large so this was a really interesting class. Participation in class is quite common. People study often, most people really do try to keep up their grades. Although there is partying on Thursdays, for the most part, the other days are fairly quiet. There are many intellectual conversations outside of class, as random as they may be. Students are very competitive. I am a Neuroscience major and the advisors and everything about our Psychology program is amazing. I often go to my professors' office hours. Academic requirements are reasonable. Our school is really geared towards what you make it geared towards.

I'm not the type of student that raises my hand in a lecture of 300+ students to answer a question. We definitely have those students as well, I'm just not one of them. I like to sit in the second row and take my notes. I've only been to 3 office hours in my 3 years in college. The professors aren't likely to know your name just from seeing you 3 times a week, but if you make an effort they will get to know you. I am a 3rd year Biology major, so you could say I'm surrounded with very competitive students. Its not always a bad thing though. It pushes everyone to try their best. Every professor I've had so far has exhibited a passion for their subject. I think that is the most important and impressive thing.

Most of my professors didn't know my name but again, they still show that they care about your learning and want to get along with you. Class participation actually depends on the professor's lecturing skills. Engineering and Science students study considerably harder and more often than Business, Psychology majors. I have "intellectual conversations" when i'm studying/working with friends. I do not spend time with professors outside. I have no idea if UCR professors want to do that with their students. maybe? This school's academic requirements are not too high compared to other UCs. This school extends many internship/career/volunteer opportunities through your department's faculty advisors emails.

You'll get some good professors and some bad professors but the best part about it is you only have them for about 2 months and the good professors are so good, you will never forget them. We are a smart crowd here, we take education seriously and the school has many branches in which they help us to succeed and make our goals. My first year I took an entomology class. A class about INSECTS! Yes! Its was by far the most interesting thing I had ever done and professors are pretty much available all the time and are quickly responsive to emails and hold office hours a couple days per week. At UCR they try to give the students a voice and make sure that were accommodated to the best of their abilities.

The academics at this school are very good. For the most part I can honestly say I have taken very good teachers and have enjoyed all my classes here at UC Riverside. Like every college, there are a few teachers that probably belong more in a lab than teaching students but that is understood. I think a lot of the courses prepare you for what you want to do in life. If you are involved in creative writing you will have a ton of workshops to do to get peer input on your works, and if you are involved in the sciences, the teacher encourages study groups. The dynamics of academics here suit the student's needs very well and the teachers are extremely helpful in making your learning their top priority.

Faculty at UCR is awsome. While classes are somewhat big, they tend to be smaller than other universities and the faculty is always ready and willing to help. If anyone is interested in History, they should definately check out the history department at UCR. It is a small department, but the faculty is very involved with their students. In fact, they even give out awards to the students at the end of the year and have a end of the year History party! Classes at UCR are really unique and interesting. So far, the most interesting class I have taken in Juvenile delinquency. And as for the conversations that students have, what we learn transfers over from the class room to places like the commons.

I thought it would be more of a challenge. To be honest, I find the AP program at my high school tougher than the classes at UCR. I think this is partially because students in the AP program actually wants good grades and are of equal potential as their peers. On the other hand, in lower division classes, there are individuals who don't even care. All they think about is party and get F's in their classes. Another reason for UCR being too easy is that they don't expect much from students. The pace lectures are going is that of a child. I can self study a weeks worth of lecture in like an hour. However, there are some intelligent students here that makes class competition more interesting.

Fuck the classes with a pop of 5000+ The upper division classes are generally better at focusing on student proficiency. Dont give your professor shit on the first couple weeks of classes. A good many of them take a while for you to warm up to them. Go to class. The more you ditch in the wrong weeks the dumber you are. The best weeks to ditch are 4th week for 500+ classes and 8/9th week for 15-30 group classes generally need your participation at all times especially upper division workshops. Atmosphere within group classes and upDiv's in your major generally are more enjoyable as time goes on. All lowdiv classes usually are huge pains in the ass.

The professors at UCR are for the most part strong. The engineering professors are very open to undergraduate research opportunities, and are willing to serve as mentors to their student. The Academics in general at UCR are poor. The student body for the most part is very lazy, and cheating on homework is commonplace. The student body has a dual hump shaped distribution with students either being very intelligent and hard working, or very lazy and sometimes unintelligent. Some science classes attract more of the first type of student, and are very competitive, other humanities coursework may not be as competitive.

The classes are huge. Proficiency in written English (there is a great deal of writing) and mathematics is required for nearly everything worth studying. You may have professors that do not speak perfect English. but... The professors are some of the top researchers in their fields and can be contacted with ease. There is a plethora of decent things to study and the university offers almost any coursework you can conjure up. There many opportunities for research, both with professors and independently. Research facilities are some of the best in the country.