University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

The Science programs are definitely rigorous, but a lot of help is offered. Professors seem very inpersonable with the student body..almost robot-like. We pay so much to attend UC's you would think their would be more interaction. On that note, we are overpaying and we still manage to not get the classes we want or become wait-listed.

academic wise.... uc riverside has a lot of professors who use powerpoint and it is really damn boring also some professors you just cant understand. there are only a few professors worth taking and for anyone who is a business major TAKE REAL ESTATE BEST CLASS EVER WITH A GREAT PROFESSOR.

The academics at UC Riverside are great in my opinion. I am a double major (Film and Media Studies/Political Science) and UC Riverside was able to graduate me in four years while allowing me to pursue personal interest at the same time.

The students at Riverside are not challenged enough! The professors are too easy, so students know exactly what to do to get by in class.

The lower-division classrooms are generally a lot larger than upper-division. I've been in classrooms from 5 students to 500 students. This means professors generally don't know students by name the first two years unless you attend office hours (which I strongly suggest). However, in upper-division classes, most students get to work closely with professors and they begin to put names with faces. It's an awesome feeling knowing that you're not just another butt filling a seat in class. My favorite class at UC Riverside was a Creative Writing class with Professor Juan Herrera. This class was by-far my favorite because we were given interesting books to read including now one of my favorites, "Always Running," and got the opportunity to creative a short story of our own. Taking this class my freshman year made me want to major in Creative Writing. My least favorite class at UC Riverside would have to be History 20 because there was tons of reading material and, personally, I found most of it to be boring. But, then again, history has never been an enjoyable subject for me. Classroom participation isn't as common in large classrooms as much as it is in smaller classrooms. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with students that don't like to speak in front of large crowds, but that seems to be the case in my experience. Students tend to be more competitive within their field of study. As for the Breadth Requirements (lower-division classes), students aren't as competitive. My major is Creative Writing and I absolutely LOVE the Creative Writing department at UCR. UC Riverside is one out of two Universities in California that offer Creative Writing as a major. The Chair of the department is Andrew Winer, author of recently published novel, "The Marriage Artist." I have had the privilege of working closely with authors such as Susan Straight, Tom Lutz, Juan Herrera, Andrew Winer, and Goldberry Long, just to name a few. We have an incredible staff of novelists and UC Riverside. In the Creative Writing department, upper-division classes typically hold about fifteen students. Thus, students and professors work together on a first name basis and every professor I know is honored to work with students on their writing during office hours as well. There is an incredible satisfaction of walking into a Borders or Barns and Noble Bookstore and seeing your professors name plastered on the wall or copies of their recent book stacked high on the shelves. One of the best things about the University of California, Riverside is that it's a research school, meaning there are tons of research opportunities in a variety of fields. This gives students the opportunity to work one-on-one with a professor in their specific field of interest. At the University a professor have to publish a novel once every seven years and they always need extra help doing research. This is where students, if chosen, get the chance to research a specific topic with a professor. It's a great way to gain experience in your field and build up your resume. UC Riverside is geared toward setting up students for success after graduation.

I received a B.A. in English, with a minor in History, and an M.Ed. while at UCR. Each of my professors had something valuable to offer. They showed students how to learn for the sake of learning, and that if you did that everything else would fall into place. Many discussions would last well beyond the end of our designated class time, and their office doors were always open for "inquiry". The professors became a part of your life. The English department had an end of the year BBQ at the deparment head's home where faculty and students converged to enjoy each other's company as scholars and as individuals. My time as a graduate student was even more significant as I formed lifelong friendships with my peers and our professors. Some of our professors even attended our cocktail party when we graduated. To this day, if I needed professional assistance, I am quite sure I could call on any one of them.

Academics are good. Most professors do not know my name in the 200-600 person lecture halls, but in the smaller 20-50 person classes, they do. In terms of time spent studying, engineers, hard-science majors, and econ kids study harder than the rest, but that's expected at any university. Class participation in rather uncommon in the big classes as well as the required ones, but that improves as you go along. You'll hear a few intellectual conversations outside of class every so often at the coffeeshops or in lounges. Students aren't very competitive. Economics department is good and certainly growing. Academic requirements (GEs) are manageable if you budget your classes appropriately; we're on the quarter system, so you could reasonably expect to have them done by fall of your soph year. Education at UCR is somewhere between preprofessional and for its own sake, depending on your major and school.

I enjoyed my classes at Riverside. I was a Grad student and took mainly Colonial American History and Public History Classes. The problem was that many times teachers would go on sabbatical and you would be left with nobody to teach the classes for your major and/or the classes would get canceled. It is important before you chose any school, especially research/publish or perish schools that you find out if professors are going to be around throughout your time there and if people leave what can you do. I had been disappointed only once when I needed a class and the person teaching it was not a person who should have taught it because the person who was going to teach it left on sabbatical after only working there a year.

Like anything in life, academics at UC Riverside will give back to you what you put into it. I worked hard and asked as many questions as it took to get the answers I needed to succeed. UC Riverside like most schools and Universities will not necessarily prepare you for a job. UC Riverside prepares you for a career! I now have a very high paying job in the the high tech medical industry in the Bay area.

I loved the academics a ucr. the professors did know my name for the classes in my major. That would not be the case in the huge intro classes. My favorite class was an upper division class on the Andes and the various ethnographies about that area. there were only 15 people in the class and half were grad students. i loved it. i worked really hard, but it was worth it.