University of California-Riverside Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Dalayna

I have had classes with 20 people and classes with 300 people. Each class varies. The best thing about our school is the discussion class attached to the class. You have a chance to go over the material taught in class and get a heads up about what to study. Discussion classes also are an addition to your grade so a student who really earned a B can leave with an A.

Vicky

Since I'm a business major, my classes' lectures are huge (300+ students) while discussions are small (>30 students).

Jackie

Because UCR is on the quarter system, our classes change every 3 months (unless you're in something unusual like Organic Chemistry, which is a year-long course). I'll be starting my Winter Quarter in a couple of weeks, and I'm very pleased with my schedule! I'm taking 18 units: Political Science of the Underdeveloped World, Screenwriting, Linguistics, and Philosophy. There are so many options when it comes to classes! In your lower-division courses, you're very likely to be in a big lecture hall. Yes, it's exactly how your parents explained it. You'll have as many as 300 students in one class, all competing for a top grade. Given this statistic, you'll really need to be dedicated and focused in order to achieve the grade you want. For every hour of in-class work, you'll need to do an average of 3 hours of studying per week. Most lectures are held twice a week, and many lectures have an additional 50-minute "discussion" section in which small groups discuss the lecture material. Although it is very difficult to achieve a 4.0 in college, it's not impossible and with plenty of hard work and dedication, you can do it!

Jackie

Kayla

My breadth classes or my non-major classes have all been fairly interesting. I love almost all subjects so I've enjoyed most of my classes at UCR. Classes usually have a lecture that is two to three times a week with a discussion course. Most large lectures are just sitting and listening, but if you're able to take a class with less students, there's a lot more interaction between students and the professor. But all discussion courses are small so the students get a chance to ask questions and understand the material better. My major is creative writing and studio art. The creative writing classes are usually workshops. Workshops usually have fifteen students. Everyone has to submit two pieces of their own work and have a day where the class critiques his or her story or poem. I personally enjoy workshops because it helps you become a better writer. You need others to read your work and critique it so you can improve your story. When your work is being discussed, you must remain quiet until the end when you are given the chance to clarify and explain some of the confusion. It is sometimes an embarrassing process but one that you will learn a lot from. The studio art classes I have taken is usually working on an assigned project for a couple of weeks and on the due date, everyone has to critique each work. It is a similar process to the creative writing workshop.

Portia

My classes are amazing so far. My first quarter was very successful. I was enrolled in English 01A, Creative Writing 056, and Environmentalism. All of my professors were great. They were not boring. They were very engaging with all of their students. I was satisfied with my courses for Fall Quarter.

My classes are pretty fun at UCR. Some of them are hard, but the professors or TAs are always very helpful and the courses are exciting.

Kenneth

Classes are entirely dependant on the major. Most creative writing classes are a small group of somewhere around 15 students and we are all told to write 1 or 2 stories. Before we review them, we pass out a copy to each student and the following class everyone comes with a page or so about their thoughts on the piece and we discuss it as much as we can and the person who wrote the story just gets to listen and can't ask questions till the end. Japanese literature or culture is usually 30-75 students and there is some discussion. Most classes are bigger for lower division classes and shrink down a lot for upper division. The ones with the rougher teachers are actually fairly nice because they empty out pretty fast at the beginning of the quarter.

JAMES

Classes are very diverse, some are easier than others while others are extremely hard. I guess it all depends on your professor. Some classes are big, while others are small. So it just depends on which classes you take and which professor you get.

Joanella

Lower Division Classes The lectures are pretty big with 200+ students and one professor and the discussions that accompany the lectures have about 20-35 students with one teaching assistant. These sort of classes have many quizzes and tests with a couple short papers. Do your papers, read the readings and participate in discussion and your grade is golden. People form study groups to study for the tests so you are rarely left in the dust for these tests. Upper Division Classes There are still tests but now there are more papers. The teaching assistants/professors grade harder, the papers ask for more questions to be answered, and all in all there is more to be expected of you. However, if you study and do the work that is expected of you, you'll pull through.

Ausmila

Classes at UCR at good. The lectures are usually big. That being said, the size doesn't prevent any student from learning. The discussions are small, discussion size. The non-lecture classes are not too big; though they are slightly bigger than discussion sessions. Classes at UCR are appropriately tailored to each major or subject. The classes are ideal for college education.

Gabriel

Classes are all designed to be challenging in a different way. Some give you course work that keeps you practicing the concepts or testing the knowledge you're gaining in class. Or they're more comprehensive and you just don't have assignments as often. It really depends on the teachers and they set the tempo for each class.

Hanaa

My classes are enjoyable, intriguing, and insightful. My professors always give great advice on the craft of writing, and I find myself having light bulb moments each time we meet. They possess so much knowledge about writing, and I am continuously amazed. The professors often lead the discussions, and allow us all to give our opinions on the topics of discussion. We all share our ideas and learn from one another. Most importantly, our Professors also teach us their knowledge, ideas and experiences with the craft of writing. Lastly, we submit and critique each other’s work, and provide each other with thoughtful feedback that allows us to properly redraft our work.

Leticia

Classes depends on what class you are taking. My intro to creative writing class had about 270 people and the discussion had 16 people. so in larger classes if you want your professor to know you by name then definitely go to office hours talk to them. but in smaller classes you teachers no you by name and it's easier. You should also try to befriend your class mates have study sessions help each other with homework most people are nice and would love to help. When you get assignments, don't procrastinate, its really easy to fall behind and difficult to catch up and don't be afraid to say something in class

Arveen

Easy A