University of California-Riverside Top Questions

What do people really wear to class?

Kaitlyn

People kind of just wear whatever they want. You have some girls that like to always dress up and look good, some guys that do the same, but then you also have the girls and guys that don't really care that much and just kind of wear sweats or jeans and a t-shirt or something. I have personally showed up in pajamas before when I was late to class one morning, and I just didn't feel like getting dressed up, and nobody says anything. Since I dance a lot I will often show up in sweats and a big shirt, but nobody really minds what you wear. You're pretty much free to do your own thing!

Kenneth

That really depends on the season. People usually wear shorts or skirts in the late spring, summer, and early fall quarters, heavier clothes in the winter, late fall, and early spring. Usually the dress is casual, with the exception of the occasional formal wear. Even that, though, is voluntary. The only time there was something close to a formal dress rule was when a profess asked the girls to please not wear short skirts in her class because they were sitting at open desks and were on theater seating which meant that some of them were above her. She wasn't too comfortable with that.