University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

What do students complain about most?

It's a toss-up between the weather, the food, and the insufficient amount of classes available during registration. It gets hot in Riverside - into the 100s at the most brutal times of the year. Bring sunblock, shorts, and a great sense of humor. You'll need all three to make it past the heat. The food in the dorms is improving - really, it is. Unfortunately, the selection isn't as diverse as some colleges with the actual college town atmosphere. Out of five stars, UCRiverside would probably rate a 3/5 in the food department. There isn't any good dim sum, filipino food, or kbbq near Riverside, which is something I personally found very irritating - you can get decent boba though. Class registration - it can be a huge hassle if you don't have priority registration. My advice is to join the Honors program, a sports team, a learning community, or any other avenue possible to secure you get priority registration. It makes a big difference in determining your chances of perfect-schedule success. I've heard horror stories of students being unable to take enough classes (they tend to dry up towards the end of registration) and having to take time of from school because of it. If you're in UCR without any sort of aid in the registration process, I suggest you're on your computer during the time your ready to register. Fast fingers - your classes depend on it!

A lot of students complain about the lack of school spirit, which is true because students compare UCR campus life to other campuses in the UC system (especially, UCLA, Cal, and Santa Barbara). UCR hasn't been able to establish the traditions that students at other campuses have. Without a strong athletics or Greek presence on campus, it is difficult for students to have that school spirit. However, clubs and school organizations have been working hard to establish new things that UCR students can call their own and it in these new programs and events that the school spirit is growing at a slow yet steady pace.

Because of the state's reduction in funding to universities in California, there has been a large decrease in class availability at UCR. Students complain mostly about not being able to enroll in the classes they want or not being able to graduate in time because the courses they need to take are not available. I'm a victim of reduced class availability. I'm supposed to be graduating this year, but depending on how things turn out, I might stay an extra year. My advice is PLAN AHEAD.

Most of the complaints I've heard are about classes. Usually that they can't get the classes that they want or need because of the budget cuts and there aren't enough spaces. Especially for English 1C, those in BCOE and CHASS don't really have to worry about this because they have other options, but those in CNAS deal with this a lot. Usually CNAS majors have to wait until Junior or Senior year in order to get into an open spot for ENGL1C.

I find that students complain about not having the perks that other UCs have. For example we do not have a football team, our basketball team is not spoken of as being on the same level as UCLA's or USC's, or simply that people don't recognize it as being as good of a school.

Definitely how hot it is during the first month or two of school, it gets maybe in the 90's-100's and it can be unbearable. some complain about the food, its not the best but its better then nothing

Money is the majority of what students complain about, but I think that's everywhere. The sushi place on campus is also something people complain about.

Campus is cheap and inhibits students from applying more than 16 units which causes some to delay in graduation