University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

University of California Riverside doesn't neccessarily have anything that strikes a bad reputation. It is just like any other university but is credited less because of it is one of the newest universitites. It isn't deemed highly credible like other schools such as UCLA or UCSD because it is newer. It is still growing and and it still expanding to create a well established university like the latter. It's classes and education content attributes the same difficulty level and requires the same prowess for certain classes and majors as other schools, but lacks the prestigous reputation.

The least exciting aspect of my school is purely non-academic. Riverside is located in the region named Inland Empire, but is also in the east side of what is known as ?the Los Angeles Area?. Because of its location, Riverside relies for many activities on the near city of Los Angeles. The University of California Riverside is affected by this phenomenon as well. Most of its students often leave Riverside for the weekends seeking more sport and cultural events than Riverside can offer. This creates a vacuum of activities that I believe is fundamental for the university-life experience.

I consider the teaching system to be the worst thing about our school. Our school is known for research rather than the 4-year education. I've switched my major many times and have taken a lot of classes. I've noticed that sometimes the professor doesn't teach his own class but has office hours. Guaranteed, there are many teaching assistants who are relied on to judge and grade our performance for discussion (which is understandable), and, every once in a while, a teacher assistant conducting the lecture. It's not always the same as enthusiastic community college professors.

The location of the school has been a major concern for me because of the neighborhood. The surrounding homes are decent, but eateries and grocery stores in the area are often lingering with homeless men asking for money, loitering men and persistant solicitors. I don't feel safe off University grounds and avoid hanging out even within a block of the University unless there is a heavy flow of students. Crime in this city is also relatively high, even on campus so it's discomforting that I can't feel safe on my own campus.

There is very little to complain about at UCR, but class avaliability can sometimes be frustrating. The school is quite crowded (but with CA's budget crisis that's to be expected) and this can result in difficulties when trying to register for classes, because the most interesting and/or most important classes fill up very quickly. Luckily, the academic advisors are willing to enroll you in a class early if you approach them, this services is mostly for student's one or two quarters away from graduation of course.

The issue with this school primarily is that it is not a college town. In fact it was originally built after the city was already established. It made it hard since the residents did not particularly want the school to be built due to traffic, noise and congestion. Thus, the area around the school does not have much built around it other than fast food restaurants. I wish it had more activities for students to be attracted to, so it could have more life in the area. This way the students could be more prideful.

Being an athlete, I think the worst thing about our school is the lack of school spirit. This in part stems from not having a football team. Usually students from schools with a football team tend to be more aware and involved with sporting events and news. Having people care about your team or your success motivates you to have more pride in your school because you have more support. With the lack of school spirit at UCR there tends to be a disconnection between students, athletes and the community.

Well to be completely honest with you l would have to say the student population of the school is so high.During the school days,everything is so crowded and therefore one can barely get any food to eat and even if they do it takes alot of time by the time they are able to get it.Another thing is the public smoking at my school.l hate smoking or even the smell of it .l wish the school would implement some ground rules for people that smoke and make it illegal to smoke while on campus because it

The worst thing about my school would be the location. In Riverside, there is hardly anything to do. The only places you can probably go to is the University Village, which has places to eat, 7/11, and a movie theatre. There is no shopping mall nearby or a huge grocery store, like Vons. You can only find these if you have a car and drive 5-15 minutes. Also, Riverside is known for the homeless and criminals. I would get emails often about recent crime reports.

Thw worst thing about my school would have to be the fact that we had a period of unsafety. by this i mean that during a time perios it was realy uncomfortable to walk to and from my apartment from school because i had a fear of getting robbed or hurt. Situations like so were very common and students felt unsafe coming to school. fortunately our school police department partnered up with various programs to assure our safety, no i feel safe walking anywhere.