University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

I feel that the type of person that should not be attending the University of California-Riverside is the more fortunate kind. Fortunate in the sense of growing up middle class. I think location as where one has grown up affects how you view the school as well. Well off students, the ones that attended private schools and such are placed on a pedistool and are ultimately more competitive because of their upbringing and the schools they attended. And, because of this, their expectations are higher. Also, social butterflies should not be attending this school.

If someone wants a small, very personal environment the University of California in Riverside is not the school to attend. For a UC, UCR has a very diverse group of students, so one must be comfortable learning about other cultures and open to new ideas. The school forces students to interact with one another in order to get used to doing so in a work environment. UCR doesn't place a huge focus on sports, having no football team and an average basketball team. Therefore, if sports is a necessity for a person, UCR is not the school for them.

Don't come to UC Riverside expecting it to be easier than other UC campuses. It's a research powerhouse in many fields, and the university pushes all students to hold themselves to a higher standard. Many students here are the first in their families to go to college, and they're willing to work hard to make their educational dreams happen. If you're not driven to get the most out of your education, maybe UCR isn't the place for you. There are plenty of opportunities for fun, but there are even more for pushing your intellectual limits.

Students who are primarily interested in the social aspects of a college experience (i.e. greek life, weekend parties, etc.) may be disappointed. Such structures and activities are present but are distinctly secondary to the academic purposes of the campus. Students who are primarily interested in the cultural environment of a college town may also be disappointed as Riverside is less thriving in this respect than larger urban centers such as Los Angeles. University is very diverse; students should expect to work for their degree.

Those who are in search of the ultimate college experience, should not attend this school. The campus is somewhat small, so if a personal relationship with your professor is not what you're looking for this is not the school for you. The campus is indeed diverse, but it is full of 'clicks'. One major issus is do not attend UCR if you want to feel that sense of school pride. The campus is not united. Perhaps, if we had a football team, students would be more involved, and consequently prideful. UCR is a dry campus.

Someone who is very relaxed and freindly. Everone on campus is very chill and enjoys hanging out. The work load is variable depending on your major. Since i am a science major i have a much higher work load than some humanities majors. The work is not unreasonable however and if you stay on top of the material you can do fine. Also it is helpful to be well rounded and just generally out going. Being ready to go out and get things done is helpful, you need to go out and find things for yourself.

This is a very diverse school in many aspects. It is a more liberal than conservative school. UCR treats differences in students as a positive aspect. UCR is also a large campus. Most classes include a minimum of 300 students. Only a few classes are of 25 students. Therefore, someone who is not open-minded about other religions, cultures, ethnicities, etc. should not attend UCR. In addition, someone who would rather have closer one-on-one contact with teachers/students should not attend.

The kind of person that should no attend this school is someone that wants to get an education in or near the city or near the coast. Riverside is a little distant from the large cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, San Fransisco, etc. It is also not near the beaches or the coast. People who do not want classes with 499 other people should also attend UCR. It is a school near a desert type city where its either extremely hot or very cold.

If the university does not have the major the student is interested in he/she should not attend this university. A student who enjoys partying, the University of California, Riverside is not the right choice. A student that is not career oriented should not attend. In addition, a student that does not take his/her coursework seriously by not attending class regularly and/or not completing assignments should not attend this school.

Students that have chosen a major that the university does not offer should not attend this school. Students who have not visited the campus or obtained information about the school for example, the layout out of the campus including where it is located and the surrounding areas, the cost of tuition, sports offered, and other information that would be helpful in selecting a university best fit for the student.