University of California-Riverside Top Questions

Kamirah

Be mentally prepared. The course load is a lot lighter than high school, but to make up for a light load you have to do a lot of work on your own. GPA is calculated a lot differently than high school. If you have less than 4 classes you have to work just as hard to get a reasonable GPA.

Jorge

I would tell myself to be more focused on my academics. Not knowing all the possibilities and opportunities available to pay for my college tuition and the experience of attending a four year institution coming out of high school is something I regret not being informed about. Although I enjoyed my time in high school, I feel I wasted a lot of time doing unproductive things. I had always had the work ethic and ambition to pursue higher education but was sidetracked and lost focus during highschool and the couple years after I graduated. I would have been graduated with a Bachelors degree by now and been working on a masters or Phd degree at the moment. I also feel everything happens when you are ready for things to happen. At the time I was not ready, not mature enough to take my education seriously, more so make it a priority. Now I am. Now I have the confidence and determination to achieve whatever goal I set out for myself. Learning the value of hard work, and applying it to my education will only create a better future for myself and my community, and allow me to create social change.

Veronica

Not having realized how easy it is to get off track, I went into college with the same mind set as high school: do homework, pass tests, study. However, this soon proved to be not nearly enought to get me good grades like in high school. Knowing all I know now, I would advice myself to never take things for granted, yes my current GPA is lower than i would like, but if I work hard enough I can rase it and never be in this predicament again. I would have liked to advice my high school self against socializing so much and not paying attention to the important things. I wish I would have had better studying habits so I would not have to worry right now. Although I can improve my GPA, I wish i would have never fallen behind in the first place. To my past self I would like to fimally advice against not taking things seriously, and wishing I had taken a lot more AP classes to feel more prepared for college.

William

Do not be so hasty because you tend to overlook reality when you act in haste. Slow down and enjoy your final year of high school basketball instead of being angry at what you cannot control because the politics of college basketball will drive you insane if you lose focus on having fun. Always maintain focus on basketball, as it has took you to various new places and will continue to do so if you just maintain focus and remember to have fun. School is the easy part as you are intelligent. The diverse and 'adult' life experiences will be the difficult part of college life and making the transition to living on your own. Consequently, it will be extremely important for you to rely on what comes natural and easy to you, playing basketball and performing in school at a high level. All the distractions that come with excelling in school and sports will always be present in life but they will always remain distractions and never anything that will benefit your life. So again, stay focused on school and basketball and that is the life you have always wanted since your childhood. You can achieve great things.

Justin

Look, you shouldn't have been taking the easy road. I get that you wanted to help people and pursue your own interests, but if you look back, you could have done more. You shouldn't have been afraid to go into thee AP classes. Based on what the future holds for you, AP classes aren't so hard, at least for us. The difficulty isn't bad, it's just that there's more paperwork. You also shouldn't have been afraid to do some volunteer work. I know you're going to say "I'm too busy" but you really aren't. You'll only teach karate 2 days a week, rarely more than that,and you have the weekends to do volunteering. I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it if you gave it a chance. And for dealing with your dad, just tell him you're working hard like he wants you to. You're smart, you will figure out a way through this. I mean, you've done karate for 10 years. Howhard can this be?

Alexus

Lex. It's me, future Lex only four years older with a little peach fuzz on our bottom chin. Finally! I bring you advice as only your future inner self can bring you. Lex, remember that your dreams are something that nobody in this world can ever take away from you. Live them, breathe them, plan for them and strive for them. You are about to realize very soon that 19{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of African American males like you achieve this dream to attend an accredited university and graduate. Lex, you owe it to yourself, your sister, future children, and your community to GRADUATE. Believe it or not, as minimal and irrelevant as you might feel to this world, you are a symbol of hope to other African American youth that the "I could never go to college"saying is a myth. Your dreams of traveling, being an RA, achieving Dean's list and graduating are all at your finger tips. Never lose sight of your dreams for they shape the adventurous weird individual you are. Good luck Lex, no pressure but I am kind of depending on you. Oh yeah that computer science major just really isn't our thing. Ciao

Bianca

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school freshman, I would tell myself not to underestimate my abilities both as a student and as a leader I would remind myself that I will be given many reasons not to believe in myself, however, I need to be strong and prioritize. I need to learn how to eliminate any negative energy or influences that would set me back from becoming successful and surround myself with people that love me for who I am and will support me. I would advise myself to use my passion for helping people to an advantage to commit to clubs and organizations that will aid me in furthering my journey towards my main goal, helping people. I would also encourage myself to challenge myelf academically by focussing my energy on my education. Ultimately, I would want myself to do everything with love and passion.

Ryan

If I could contact my senior self, I would encourage mtself to apply myself toward advanced placement classes, and to devotre more time and effort toward the SAT and ACT tests. I now understand that these tests and classes are one of the primary factors in determining ellegibilty for colleges. In high school, however, I viewed these as more of a chore than an opportunity to gain a competitive edge. I would encourage myself to focus on the future, and while work and and social activities are important, nothing will have a greater impact on a person's life than education. I also would have encouraged myself to become more involved in school, such as extra-cirricular activities and sports. I now understand that these activities are an excellent way to bridge the gap between education and socializing, often being a perfect combination fo the two. Most importantly, I would encourage myself to appreciate the opportunities that college presents.

Juan

In high school, one could realistically get straight A's in one's classes while not taking your classes or assignments very seriously. Given that, I would advise myself to take everything you are challenged with at the university level with a complete serious state of mind. The completion of assignments and readings hold a fundamental importance in your higher-learning. Moreover, I would advise my younger self to meet challenges head on and to never be intimidated by any assignments or individuals because it is important to practice and facilitate a mentality that will help accomplish one's endeavors and academic/career goals. Furthermore, I would advise my younger self to capitilize on every single opporuntity that crosses your path. For example, to not wait until your junior or senior year to get involved in research at your institution, but to get involved as a freshman or sophomore because those connections you make with professors will hold tremondous weight when seeking other research or career opportunities. Speaking of an early involvement, I would also advise to get involved in clubs of a particular interest to you because that is a phenomenal way to meet your future colleagues and friends.

Waldir

If I can go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell him to extensively research the college I decided to apply to. The faces of the college will always try to put their best out and it your job to find out how would you fit in at that college. Another piece of advice I would tell mysef is to appreciate his teacher relationships and build a better rapport with them. SInce i have graduated, I have asked so many favors from my high school teachers and I am very grateful for what they helped me accomplish. The last piece of advice I would like to give to myself is enjoy the moments you have with your friends at school and outside of school. Your friends were the ones who helped you through your struggles in high school so never take them for granted.

Alex

"Personalize" each application for each college if possible and know what college admissions officiers want out of people. Maybe go out and do more extra-cirricular activities and socialize more, and finally, get a better GPA.

Daniela

There is no perfect blue print to the perfect life know that. At age seventeen you will not have the world in your fingertips, in fact you never will, and its okay don’t stress over it. Everything you do, do for yourself never changes what you love to fit in. Life wasn’t meant for you to be like everyone else. Stay true to yourself, besides why would you act like someone you’re not, and be miserable inside for people who can’t love or appreciate you for who you are. Its okay to not be comfortable with doing new things but don’t let that stop you, because let’s face it change is amazing. High school is not everything and don’t let what people label you as be what you think of yourself. Most importantly learn to love yourself. As you enter a new chapter in your life insecurity can be your biggest down fall love yourself always and know your worth.

Chelsea

Treasure your time dancing and the wrestling season as much as you can. This will be the best year you'll ever have with time to dance and a coach to condition you. Every sprawl and cougar drill you do, smile; it will only get you stronger. There's no regret in that. Don't be afraid of anything, just go for it. Every meal that Mom cooks for you, treasure it; there is only so many things Mom can do for you before you have to do it completely on your own, and no one else can take care of yourself better. Whenever the weekend rolls around, go to as many jams as you can and go full out every set at the jam; it doesn't matter, vibe out and have fun...you paid the entrance fee, battle and cypher hard! If friends want to hangout, chill with them on the weekend or whenever you’re free. Enjoy every meal you eat, there is no regret in eating good food after a great practice!

adriana

Because my parents were immigrants, they had no knowledge of college admissions and procedures. If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell myself to speak to the career counselors at my high school. If I had made the attempt to be more involved instead of being overcome with anxiety because I was a first generation college student I would have fared much better. The career department or school counslors at my high school would have been well equiped and willing to offer advice. The biggest problem and thing I would change would be to be more vocal about my education goals and concerns and set a plan to achieve those goals. Also, because finances were the most detrimental aspect in my educational career, I would have told myself to actively pursue financial assistence through scholarships. The best definition about life I would tell myself and others as a high school senior is, "Life is tough, but stand your ground and be determined to achieve your goals at all costs because life is about how you pick yourself up and move forward. Let nobody tell you "you cant" and if they do use it as you motivating factor."

Connie

If I had the chance to talk to seventeen year old Connie, my main advice to her would be to take risks. When I was seventeen I was shy and afraid of making huge changes and that was especially present when I moved to Riverside in order to continue my education. While I had no idea, taking the risk to move away for my college education was the best decision of my life. I not only accomplished my goal of getting a BA in four years but I also grew as a better person as I took a lot of risks whether it be working part time along with my large schoolwork and my active involvement with various school programs including the LGBT Center as an LGBT Ally. Had I decided to stay the same shy girl who was nervous to go to a new place, I believe I wouldn't have become the strong individual who is moving to San Francisco for grad school as well as for my career objective of working in a non-profit organization.

Adriana

If I could go back in time and have a talk with my high school self on senior year, I would advice myself not to be afraid of trying new things, to seize the opportunities given to me and learn as much as I can from them. This is important because this is the only way I will know if I truly enjoy doing something; besides more opportunities to participate provide more life experience. Schools and scholarship officials are always interested in knowing the experiences that have shaped you into the individual that you are. I would tell myself to stop contemplating on whether or not I should join the French Club or run for a position; it is an opportunity to get to know faculty and to make friends, as well as impress college admission officers. I would also advice my high school self to challenge myself and take harder classes, and take it as preparation for college. Lastly, I would advice my high school self to spend as much time as I can with family and friends, because childhood ends at graduation and adult life takes over.

Corinne

For crying out loud, have some fun. There's no sense in telling you to ease up on the constant studying, since I know you won't listen, but you need to get out a little more. I'm not saying you should go wild and party, but join some clubs and make some friends. It makes the transition easier if you have people you can talk to on campus. That first year gets pretty lonely otherwise. Take some fun classes as well--don't wait until graduate school to take courses just because they sound like a kick. Like photography! Go take photography. Or animation. Or something random and having to do with bugs. It doesn't matter what, honestly; just go broaden your experiences and learn for the sheer joy of learning. Don't wait on this, because someday all you'll do is tick the coursework boxes, plodding from point A to point B, and while you'll never regret the fun courses you took (you'll get to take two courses on printing presses later, by the way), you'll certainly regret the ones you didn't take. Road less traveled and all that.

laura

If I could go back in time and give myself advice it would be that I should take school more seriously and learn how to set priorities straight . When i came to UCR I believed that I had it all under control but I didn't. I was paying enough attention just to pass my classes, my GPA was seriously hurt. Now I am paying for it, I learned how to manage my time and set what is important first. I'm paying for the price now, i was not available to join a sorority until my third year, a lot of on campus jobs demanded a high gpa to apply, and all scholarships were closed off to me. all of this made my situation hard my second year, i went through harsh financial problems almost to the point that i was considering to put off school to raise money. i was not enjoying my college experience because i was constantly stressed. So if i would have known to simply manage time and get my priorities straight I would have been living the true college experinece. gladly i learned this before it was too late.

Stelle

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get mentally and emotionally prepared for the next four years of this new journey in my life. I would tell myself to cherish the memories made in highschool, as well as the teachers, friends, and all the lessons I have learned during my highschool career. I would tell myself to continue practicing time managment, and to continue to work hard in my studies.

Jenny

I would tell myself to go and take the classes that they give in high school so that I could get ahead because high school is free and college is not. You would be saving yourself time and money.

Dalayna

*** STAY STRONG. College is full of peer pressure and the freedom to do as you please. You are making your own decisions now without the supervision of anyone, let alone rules from your parents. Remember the morals and values your parents gave you and stand strong. Your true friends will accept you how you are and never pressure you to do something that will not benefit your future. ***EXPLORE.Expand your mind to different opinions, beliefs, and lifestyles. You will become a stronger person by learning about others and exploring the world. You will have more faith in yourself and your own beliefs if you understand the world around you. Life is full of tests and obstacles, thus the transition from high school to college is a time for you to learn and grow as a person and as a student. ***REACH OUT. Never be afraid to ask for help. In college you are surrounded by opportunities and resources to succeed, people who are paid to help you. When struggling seek guidance so knowledge can be passed from one person to another and you can help an incoming freshman someday as well.

regina

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be, that I should go to school right after I graduate school, because in the future I will end up getting pregant with a beautiful baby girl. I would also tell myself that the mistake that I made was not going to school right away and then finally when I did go to school it was after I had my daughter and ended up dropping out. The words I would tell myself would be, " Regina don't give up, you want to become registered nurse and even with a little one everything is possible and don't let anyone tell you wrong." Don't worry about who will take care of her, they're are ways and the most important thing you need to remember, that you are doing this for the both of you. Also make sure that you take all the classess needed and if you do not understand anything don't be shy, make sure to ask, its very important to have good grades in order to get into the nursing program.

Dalayna

STAY STRONG. College is full of peer pressure and the freedom to do as you please. You are making your own decisions now without the supervision of anyone, let alone rules from your parents. Remember the morals and values your parents gave you and stand strong. Your true friends will accept you how you are and never pressure you to do something that will not benefit your future. EXPLORE. Expand your mind to different opinions, beliefs, and lifestyles. You will become a stronger person by learning about others and exploring the world. You will have more faith in yourself and your own beliefs if you understand the world around you. Life is full of tests and obstacles, thus the transition from high school to college is a time for you to learn and grow as a person and as a student. REACH OUT.Most of all I would tell myself to never be afraid to ask for help. In college you are surrounded by opportunities and resources to succeed, people who are paid to help you. When struggling seek guidance so knowledge can be passed from one person to another and you can help an incoming freshman someday as well.

Janice

Make sure to pay attention in classes. I know the tranisiton can be exciting but it can also get in your way. Do not let the excitment of being far away from your parents take control of you. You may end up having too much fun. Know that school comes first. Also join clubs because they can help you and inspire you.

Fernando

If I had the chance to travel back in time and have the opportunity to actually advice the old me; I would tell him three words. I would tell him that knowledge is power. In this world we have to be realistic. Having the sufficient knowledge to actually apply oneself. The more knowledge an individual has the better off he/she will be. Those three words would litterally shift my perspective if I was aware of how powerful knowledge really is. I would of stop watching t.v. and picked up a book instead. I would read the newspaper instead of playing video games. At the end I would not be the same person I am now if I had the chance to live that life. I do not want to be another statistic coming from the ethnic background to what I pertain to. I want to change the perspective people have towards minorities. That we can also be productive and contribute to society and make a positive change. Economic and intellectual growth is my endeavor. This scholarship will not only help me, but the lower class by giving them hope that there are resources out there for them too.

Alejandro

Ever since I can remember I’ve always been the kid in the block with the worn out torn shoes. Having a job at a young age I never really had a childhood. Because of this I want to get an education so I can have the ability to provide a good life for my family and help under privileged youth in my community. I want the youth in my community to be able to just be kids and be able to go to school without them having to worry about a job at nine years old. Education is important and it’s the key to success and I need to succeed. My goal is to obtain my education so I can in turn help others succeed. That is why I want and need education in my life, so I need to keep that mindset.

Angella

If I could go back to 2009 to my senior year at Boston Collegiate Charter School I would tell myself to listen to my teachers when they spoke about finding what you want to do before you apply to college. I started my collegiate career at Massachusetts Maritime Academy I studied Marine Transportation, the business of driving ships, then joined the United States Coast Guard and truely learned how to run ships, and decided that, I did not feel I was making enough of a difference in the world. I then changed my major to biology with the goal of becoming a doctor. This is what I was meant to do. My teachers told me repititively to try to read up on other things and to keep an open mind. Which I did not do. I now regret that. I should be graduating college in 3 months. I should have a Bachelor's degree, instead I shall have only an Associates. The transition was one I thought I was ready for, but in fact was not at all. I wanted to study whatever would get me as far away as possible, which of course is not what I really wanted.

Carla

I would tell myself to cushion my gpa freshman year because it would really help in the long run, and never slack off. Even if it's an "easy" class, get that A because it'll help boost your gpa. I'd tell myself to put myself more out there, join the clubs and organizations I want to join and to not be scared. Most of the people on campus are friendly and welcoming. Try to balance your schedule with core classes and GE classes, don't try to take four core classes at once. Talk to your classmates so you can make friends in those classes, they might help you study or give you notes if you missed a lecture. Most importantly, don't let the pressure from family bottle up, talk to them about it or talk to your friends so you can let it out. The best way to stay focused on school is to have a good state of mind. Don't give up on yourself when things get difficult, I haven't yet so keep working towards your goal! Also, please don't procrastinate. Do things beforehand, not the day before.

Annabel

If i were to go back in time, knowing what I know now about college, I would give myself a plethora of advice. I would tell myself to keep my options open and not set my heart to one school and apply to a variety of schools. I would also tell myself to be wise with my money now and apply for a myriad of scholarships because they do make a drastic difference. One important thing I would tell myself is to think about what I do carefully, and do what makes me happy not what sounds better or what other people want. It is about what makes me happy and doing what is best for me and for me only. Lastly, I would tell myself to stay optimistic because one cannot succeed with a negative attitude no matter what the circumstances are. I would advize myself to not stay down. Even if I am not happy, I must do something about it to change it instead of complaining. If you want something you have to act, not speak.

Bonn

Dear future self, DO NOT WORRY SO MUCH about how your first quarter at college will be like. Well, first of all, your going to go to UC Riverside because you are attracted to the fact that they have a really good creative writing program over there; oh, and that is the major you are going to choose. You will meet a lot of people there who will become your close friends. The nerds who you hung with during highlander orientation is the group you will hang out with at college. The best thing I could say to you right now is that in your first quarter, JOIN KATIPUNAN, even if you don't really know what it is and are too afraid to find out DO IT! They are so far slightly exceeding your experiences as a BP Chamber Choir member, and not not mention it is only your first quarter. Oh and you and Nicole break up around October, you get over it really fast. Your creative writing professor in your first quarter will make you love the major you chose. My main advice to you is to always go for any opportunity that is there for you.

Trang

I would make the most out of my last high school years because the courses you take in college is more difficult. Time management is crucial in college and you have to devote a lot of time into studying and doing homework. This is why it is important to prioritize.

Janice

I would advise myself to always have a plan B. Not everyrthing goes as planned in college has so many opportunites and surprises. Now what you want to do with your life and find counselors and professors who will support you and help you achieve your goals. Be yourself and be open minded. Enjoy college to its fullest because before you know it you will be graduating.

Kent

Do the best I can in all tasks, assignments, and activities in high school. Even though my future plans involved a career in the US Army, I should take all educational opportunities that I am exposed to seriously. Never give a half-hearted effort in anything that I do. Maintaining a positive attitude in all educational experiences is of the utmost importance. There are always valuable lessons to be learned in life. I would advise myself to develop an alternate track of continuing education, in addition to my military plans. I would also advise myself to not goof off in math class, under the false assumption that I will never use math after high school. Life has thrown me a few curves and one of them is the fact that I am in school in pursuit of a degree in counseling. Getting back in school and excelling in all areas is not as difficult as my youthful self had imagined it would be. Making the transition to college, I would tell me to constantly look for opportunities to serve others and to do whatever I can to improve the human condition. Follow instructions, and learn to ask for help.

Linh

i am the first in my family to go to college, so I did not have anyone that could give me advice on college or guide me. I had no idea how tough it was going to be or what is was going to be like. And because of thisIf I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to never slack off. Procastination may work in high school but it does not in college. Another advice is to always try to get assignments done either on time or early. Because once you are behind it's hard to get back on track. Learn to balance everything out and get organized. In high school, there's a teacher would always remind when an assignment is due or when there is going to be a test. However, when you are in college you are on your own. Time management is the key to success in college.

Christina

College is not the sunny days of happily walking to class with friends and catching boys at the local coffee shop. College is the chance to make up for the past mistakes in high school and the disappointments you caused your immigrant parents who struggled with manual labor to bring you up in a country whose language they know as much as you’ve mastered Spanish—nothing beyond “Hi” and “Where’s the bathroom?” Do not get depressed about social issues. Put your everything into studies to cope. You’ll develop a passion for studying and that is worth much more than becoming friends with everyone. I don’t mean you’ll be alone; you’ll make life-long friends during your first year. Be happy with what you have. You can’t become center of attention the way you did in high school. Sacrificing grades isn’t worth it. You will have bigger problems to deal with later. Your maternal grandmother will be stuck in period where you’re still 18 and the other doesn’t remember your name anymore. So, I buried myself in my studies and now I love it like a drunkard does rum.

Frances

The advice I would give myself is as follows: 1) Talk to your advisor! Ask for degree checks regularly. And ask for favors, they are there to help you. 2) Get to know your T.A.'s. They are the ones handing out your grades, not the professors. 3) Keep up with the assigned readings. They are tough and long, but it will pay off during exam time. If not, playing catch up is awful and more work. 4) Dont be intimidated! Everyone at the university is just as shy and unsure as you at times. The best way to get over this fear is to become involved! The more people you know on campus the happier you will be. 5) Attend study groups. They are so much more helpful than you think. 6) Boys. They come and go. Dont stress!

Helen

Apply to as many scholarships as you can and stay on top of deadlines. In addition, believe in yourself, you were accepted for a reason and you will succeed as long as you try.

Jenny

If I could tell my high school senior some advice, it would be to research the colleges that you want to go to and not apply to the ones that you know you would get into easily but go for the ones that might be a little challenging becuase then you have better college choices without wasting the money.

Anthony

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself this. You must learn to manage your time, becasue the habits that you have in high school will only spend more than you can afford. Do not be ashamed to seek help from professors, and even your peers. Though school is important, don't forget to take a break once in a while, but make sure it is with other people; the friends you make in college may one day be the one who helps you get employed.

Ariana Jazmin

There are a lot of thing I wish I knew as a high school senior that I know now. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take senior year more seriously. While there are a lot of fun events going on that year such as prom and grad night, it's important to stay focused on your academics. I wish I could tell myself to study harder in the AP courses I took. If I would have tried a little harder, I would have started off with more college credit as a freshman, saving me thousands of dollars. I would tell myself not to take my free high school education for granted, because once you get to college, money frequently becomes a problem. As a high school senior, I only had to worry about paying for AP exams and extracurricular activities. Now, I have to worry about how I will be paying for my education, something I once took for granted.

Jillian

To go straight to college as soon as you graduate. Save your money. No credit cards. No boys and no partying. Focus on getting your education, it will pay off by the time you're my age.

Jordan

It is very important to ask questions the summer before your first quarter! Ask academic and financial aid advisors everything you can think of. Ask about money, classes, tutoring, dropping classes, adding classes, literally anything and everything you can think to ask. College is much more independant than high school; everything that is done for you now won't be done for you in college--you have to do it all yourself. Make sure you can! Asking questions at the start is especially important because it will set you up for success and make it easier to keep asking them. Too many students end up in bad situations (academic probation, dropping out, etc.) because they are too intimidated to ask question or to find out who knows something because they think they will look foolish, but this isn't the case. Employees at colleges are helpful and they want you to succeed, so please ask anytime you don't know something because it will make your college experiece easier, more enjoyable, and ultimetly more successful!

Lilliette

The one piece of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior is to learn how to study effectively and efficiently. It's different in college than in high school because in high school we barely had to study, and still managed to do well. While in college, you have dedicate a good amount of hours per class per week in order to do well. By learnig this skill early on, it would make studying for midterms and finals that much easier, and there would be much procrastination and pulling all nighters.

krystal

I would tell myself to open up to the experiences that were possible because I could have gained so mych by them. The students at UCR are diverse not only because of their race/ethnicity but because of the many things they have done. I would tell myself to be more social so I could have made friends easily. I would also tell myself to never procastinate. Procastination in college results in headaches, anxiety and sleep deprivation. I know now that when you recieve an assignment or when the professor announces there will be a test, the best thing to do is start studying or start the homework as soon as possible. These three things would have made the transition to college smoother.

Jamila

If I was a high school senior again first and foremost I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as you can because college is not cheap. I would make sure that I look into financial aid and do my research. I would tell myself not to procrasinate and apply to many colleges as well because nothing is out of your reach. I would visit the school and ask questions and make sure that I am making the best decision for me because I am the one that is going there for the next four years. I would also tell myself to have that attitude that I can do anything and strive for A's and do not have the type of attitude of I just want to pass. I would tell myself to get involved in things that interest you and make connections, network, and buil long time friendships. Do not be afraid to socialize and break out of your comfort zone because that is why your going to college to experience new experiences and be open to neww ideas and ways of learning.

Jamiel

Take some classes at a community college now, because it will save you time and money in the future.

celina

The advice I would give to myself is, do not sress too much on extra curricular activities in high school. It is okay to volunteer, but it is not a requirement to join sports or clubs to make yourself look smart. Colleges look at your grades, and how well you answered your personal statement. I would also tell myself, to not always listen to what my teacher recommended, but to my instincts. For example, sometimes it is not necessary to take out a loan on your first year, just because your teacher recommended. The truth is, I took out a loan and realized I did not need it. The same goes when you are recommended to reject any work study, just because your teacher says you wont handle a job and studying. I did not know that work study was financial aid. I would tell myself to research the possibility of passing a class without purchasing the book. There will be students who do better in class, and have not purchased the book. Find ways to reduce your study load. Studying a whole passage means studying the introduction, and conclusion. Finally, make sure your professor remembers your appointment to meet.

Justine

Be prepared for the change of your life! You've never once succumbed to wrath of procrastination. Keep that up because in college, there is no room for procrastination. The expectations are a lot higher. There will definitely be stumbles and obstacles in college but no matter what, never give up. Never let yourself fall. There may be times when you feel lost and contemplative about the future but remember... it is OKAY to make mistakes. It's okay to be imperfect. Learn from those mistakes and keep your head forward so the imperfection is path leading towards perfection.

Elaine

As a high school student, I was not as involved or as studious as I could have been. Being involved on campus could have prepared me for situations that I face now. I have never been the most outgoing student, but if I had commited to push myself to be involved during high school the college transition would have been easier. Now, as a college junior, I want to be more involved on campus and it becomes difficult, since I am not the best speaker, but I try my best to reach above and beyond my goals to overcome my challenges. My dream has always been to give back to the community, and knowing that I am not a born-extrovert I would have challenged myself more. However, it is never too late to create changes and it is never too late to surpass a full potential. I continue to stumble throughout college, but I just brush off whatever holds me down and get back on my feet. The necessary tools, before high school even starts, begin with a positive attitude and a constant reminder that progess and change are attainable.

Vicky

The tag / ID holder necklace is how the rest of the student body identify freshmen at school.