University of California-Riverside Top Questions

What's the Greek scene like?

Tonia

The Greek scene only represents about 2{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of all the students in UCR but it seems to be everywhere. I am not part of the Greek scene, but all students know that it is a very prevalent part of campus. I believe in their spare time they have many socials and sometimes formals and every now and then, community service. Students who are involved wear their letters proudly on sweatshirts, t-shirts, and other apparel around campus. Even for those who aren't in the Greek scene, Greek parties (mostly the Fraternities) are usually the biggest parties that many people (usually Sorority girls and non-affiliated girls) attend.

Vicky

The Greek scene is quite active. As a sorority member myself, we have many social events with other clubs, and also fundraising events for our charities. It is very easy to get to know all the members in the system.

Jackie

Once you go Greek, you never go back! Joining a sorority was literally one of the best decisions I could have possibly made when coming to UC Riverside. I was the only person from my graduating class who was attending UCR, so I knew that I didn't really have friends to turn to. I went through Formal Recruitment (or "rush") in the fall of 2011, and I accepted my bid from Delta Gamma sorority. I was immediately immersed into a beautiful & welcoming sisterhood that has offered me so many academic, leadership, and even athletic opportunities. My two best friends are actually in a different sorority, but this just demonstrates the bond that all the sororities have with each other here. Every Wednesday, each Greek fraternity & sorority gathers by the Bell Tower for "letters", in which the groups all mingle together while proudly displaying their Greek alphabet letters. Greeks always through parties on the weekends, but it's completely optional whether or not you want to go. Greeks are very accepting here, but it's sort of frowned upon to attend a Greek party when you aren't actually in a fraternity or sorority. We hold "Greek Week" in the Winter quarter where each Panhellenic group competes in activities, all commencing in "Pyramid", a 7-8 minute long dance/cheer routine. Every group also holds philanthropy events in the Spring quarter, ranging from karaoke to dances to car smashes!

Jackie

Leticia

Not all that into it, but The entire first quarter I saw a lot of the frats and sororities by pierce hall so I'm not all too sure. personally i think they are all stupid

Kenneth

They sit around the school's belltower on couches they seem to drag out there every day and play frizbee of football or something like that. That's all I know about them.

Dee

As a new member of the Greek system, I have endless praise. It's welcoming, inclusive, and represents what the Greek community should truly be like. Every Wednesday, the fraternities and sororities bring out large wooden replicas of their Greek letters to the center of campus and socialize. It's a great place to meet new people and decide whether or not Greek life is for you. At UCR, it definitely isn't dominant, but you will see letters on someone's shirt in every lecture hall. We're a small but proud bunch who emphasize the leadership and sister/brotherhood aspect of the experience. I would encourage anyone who's unsure to attend an info night about the recruitment process, which usually happens during the second week of classes. Every fraternity and sorority hosts a number of charity events with fun themes, like the Delta Queen Charity Pageant, Angel Idol, or 5K's. Philanthropy is much easier when 100+ of your friends are strutting, singing, or running alongside you!

Arveen

Greek have parties now and then and they volunteer once in a while. Mostly, they just hang out.