University of California-Riverside

« See more reviews of University of California-Riverside

I wish I would have known I couldnt afford this school, which is what resulted in me taking so many breaks inbetween. I would have liked to attend a school that is more concerned about students needs and is empathetic towards them. My previous major (psychology) was too impacted and my academic advisor at the time had been grandfathered in and had no educational background beyond high school. Therefore, I didnt recieve the support and instruction I needed. Thankfully, I changed my major to History and was able to get exceptional advice and leadership from my academic advisor, Christina Cuellar.

The advice I wish I would've have received is to explore different in options in a variety of classes before declaring a final major. Their are so many opportunities in every field that many individuals clearly miss to seek which explains the amount of individuals that switch their majors many times. My advice is to keep an open perspecitve to everything because college gives you the chance to explore and experience many different aspects that will uncover one's strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, as well as a guide toward a future career path.

At the University of California- Riverside, you will get as much out of the school as you put in. There is a plethora of available resources that ease the transition from high school to college, and can help ensure success. The large student to professor ratio makes obtaining direct help difficult, so you must often turn to other on campus sources. Although there are many resources at your disposal, the staff will not guide you through college. In order to succeed, you must be proactive, and your desire to learn must overpower your social life.

Without a job, license or a car, living at home, and paying for tuition with the reminants of my summer job money I would have wished to know many things before I came to UCR. How to survive, would probably be the best one. Or to prepare for how hard this "college" thing would be. I wonder, would I have chosen to come if I'd known? With my dreams at stake, even though I'm broke, and can't live the "fun" lifestyles of other college kids, I would have, undoubtly, just for the chance to achieve something greate.

I wish that I had known how much I would end up liking this school. At first, I dreaded the thought of going to this school because it was not my first choice and my parents had forced me to go here since it was closer to home. However, once I was here for a quarter, I ended up loving it. If i had known how much I would have liked it before, I would have prepared myself better financially to ensure that I would be able to afford to attend this school until I graduate.

I wish that I had known that the school was about over ten times the size of the school I was last in. This place is too big for me. It takes over half of hour for me to walk to my class. The dorms are up hill, which made it even more difficult to walk. There is also the situation with the weather here. The weather is unpredictable. It could rain and be really hot at the same time. Then the next day would be really cold and sunny at the same time. It is really weird.

Before coming to UC Riverside, I wish I had known the ammount of job opportunities available off campus to help pay for my educational expenses. There are not many here in the city of Riverside and it does not help me be able to afford expenses such as books, transportation, rent, and food while being a student here. Other than that, I love this school. It has provided a place for me to focus on my education and become a better person as I pursue higher education.

I should have known that it would be harder than I expected. I would have prepared myself more during high school. Choosing classes should be planned ahead of time according to major. There are learning centers which have tutors to help you. There is a thing called s and c which allows students to choose satisfactory instead of receiving the grade, it doesn't affect our GPA. Go to professors for guidance.

I wish that someone had told me that the "Freshman 15" actually exists! That, and I wish they had told me that trying to take on too much at once is definitely not a good idea, because I tried that, and it ended up not working out too well. I loved that everyone told me to get involved though, because the groups and orgs that I am a part of really help me get through the school work!

How to write a decent essay is one thing I wish I knew beforehand. You would think that high school would teach you how to write a paper that doesn't sound so erroneous and tedious, but nope, that's a job for college. Maybe I could have gotten more scholarships and aid to pay for tuition and such if I had written more convincing and eloquent essays for my college applications.