University of California-San Diego Top Questions

Fedra

UCSD, although rigorous in course content, is a laid-back campus. One might find STEM students who like to surf during the weekends and study vigorously during the weekdays. The student body is dedicated, as are the TA's and Professors, who pass on to their students sharp wisdoms due to the great graduate programs offered. In terms of student life, its location in San Diego allows access to tourisic sites (e.g. the beaches), as well as to the culturally vibrant neighborhoods (e.g. Hillcrest) where one may find local music, theatre, and great non-corporate restaurants.

Dolly

What makes my school unique is the school spirit everyone has here. There is so much pride that comes with being a Triton, so I am glad to call myself a part of this community. As you walk down the main path of the school, there are booths for different organizations on campus and people trying to get others involved, so there are so many opportunities for everyone. From clubs to greek life and more, you see it all. As a student, you are destined to find something that fits well with your interests and lifestyle.

Kayla

A unique feature of UCSD is its commitment to their science, technology, engineering, and mathematics programs. It is primarily a research-oriented school, and the students here are highly and single-mindedly motivated to pursue a career in these STEM fields. Apart from private research universities such as MIT, UCSD is possibly one of the largest hubs of STEM disciplines in the country.

The University of California, San Diego has a six college system in which each college occupies different area of the campus. Students are placed into each college based off their prefences indicated at the start of their application. Each college emboidies a different set of ideals in which allow students to get the feel of a smaller campus with individuals of like mindesets.

Macey

Our school has a distinctively unique culture and our campus promotes a high level of education. There are endless oppurtunities and so many ways to become involved within the school. There is a sense of adventure going to school, especially for how large our campus is. All other schools I considered didn't meet up to my expectations of where I pictured myself because they not only weren't as large for my major, but they didn't have the large community feeling. UC San Diego fit my dream perfectly.

The school is divided into 6 different colleges and each one has different General Education requirements. Thus, UCSD students get to pick which college they'd prefer to be in and what GE's are more appealing.

Kristina

UCSD seems like a pretty normal school to me. It's large but it can feel small if you take advantage of the opportunities available. For instance, I had a year long class my freshman year that was about 25 students big, involving hands on research experience. There are also freshman and senior seminars that are available to get some exposure to different areas of interest in a small classroom setting. You can have whatever experience you want to have, if you keep an open mind, a positive attitude, and you're willing to put in the effort.

Kristina

Amira

What makes UCSD highly acclaimed is that is heavily based on research. Although other universities focuses more on practical skills, UCSD puts forth theological considerations. This has helped in terms of giving students opportunities to develop independent research in what they are interested such as creating new projects and studying abroad. It also gives students opportunities to work with professors who are constantly doing their own research as well.

Jeffrey

The most unique aspect of this school is its extremely close proximity to the ocean. Because of this, many research insititutions such as scripps are dedicated to oceanography and other studies involving water. Almost all faculty is involved in their own research in which many undergraduates have the opportunity to particpate in and have the possibility to publish their own papers. The university is also a medical school, so many undergraudates can interact with medical students as well.

Carley

My school is separated into six different colleges, each with their own set of dorms/apartments, a dining hall, and a small market place with a coffee shop. UCSD in itself is a large university, but having each college allows its students to feel more at home in a large place, and are able to have a smaller community within a larger one.

Karen

AT UCSD, there are six different colleges within itself. Due to this seperation, students are able to easily access the staff in academic advising and other offices. Whenever there are problems or questions, one can easily meet up with one of the counselors for answers.

Jesse

UCSD is probably one of the few universities in the country which uses the multiple college system for undergraduates. While it can greatly help someone focus on their studies, it also can be a source of cultural and ideological segregation. Because each college emphasizes certain areas of study in their cirriculum, the people you are most likely to meet and spend time with will share much of your interests and course work. This can make mingling with them so much easier, but it also keeps people with different backgrounds apart. It's rare that you see humanities students hanging around with engineering students in this sense.

Olivia

My school has been pronouced the top research institution in the United States. For that, all of our professirs here complete research in their own field of study as well as teach. Most all of them are nationally acclaimed academics and professionals in their field of study.

BRENDA

Some people don't think UCSD is a big deal but we're pretty well ranked in different things.

Holly

My school is right next to the beach so that you can go surfing whenever you want. Also my school is very culturally diverse and really lets a person expand their worldview. The professors and students offer a huge variety of different life experiences and ideas that make you think about why things are how they are.

Araceli

The unique thing about UC San Diego is that they have a program known as the Academic Transition Program. They help students become familiar with the campus, provide students with resources and support, and help make the transition from high school to a university. This program is free for students who are accepted into the program.

Ingrid

We have a library shaped like a spaceship. Our gym is one of the fines/biggest ones in the whole nation.

Danielle

It is an incredibly academically rigorous school without the stifling academic pressure of the campus. The school is located in a beautiful setting, minutes from the beach, and has wonderful weather. The campus atmosphere is very comfortable and welcoming as well. We also have the prestige of a large research university that allows undergraduate students participate in research be a teacher's assistant for credit. Overall, the perfect school.

Tiffany

Biology/Biotechnology industry hub in the La Jolla/San Diego area increases the availability of internships, which is good if you're in that field.

Jordon

Everything

Diane

There are 6 colleges within the big university, gives you a small community feel even with a big school.

Bianca

Our science program is better than most schools.

Linda

UCSD is a campus where lab jobs and internships for research labs are readily accessible for application.

Sara

The science departments, especially biology are no comparison to other schools. The biology teachers, researchers, and discoveries coming out of UCSD are the best in CA, if not all of the USA.

Sylvia

UC San Diego is a great balance being an academically and athletically competitive school. It is the only NCAA Division II school in the nation that does not offer scholarships to athletes because the school wants to maintain its high academic standard. UC San Diego is the best fit for me in between an extremely competitive Division I athletic school and an extremely competitive Division III academic school.

It's location- in the heart of La Jolla on the beautiful Southern California beaches with beautiful weater!

Kathleen

Quarter system, weather, the studious atmosphere

cynthia

great tuturing facilites in Oasis, you should get tutoring it will help your grade

Lindsey

UCSD provides the opportunites that allow me to discover my strengths as an individual. Of course I would learn about myself at other colleges, but UCSD took me out of my comfort zone (i.e. childhood friends, familiarity with the area...). The focus on academics and the social awkwardness on campus has taught me how utilize the available resources and how to put myself out there, whether it's meeting new people, forming study groups, or working with professionals as an intern.

David

The university is known to be very tough to get into and the academics is really good.

Diana

Absolutely beautiful location.

Lauretta

It's mostly research based so the professors are great resources for those interested in the subject.

Alexandra

the location is unique because it's in beautiful la jolla and not too far from all the places in san diego.

Brian

Very good academic school, but without all the cut throat attitude of other prestigious schools. People here are really laid back, even when the stress pours on. Ive yet to meet someone who talked about how much work they have and feel extremely overwhelmed. Most of the time I hear people joke about it and get to work. No suicidal behavior and thats always nice.

Alina

UCSD is right next to the beach, making it easier for outdoor recreation, so a lot of people go outdoors to go running, biking, etc. At the same time, though, it maintains a very high academic standard, and is a great choice for people wanting to go further career-wise, even if they aren't planning on careers centered in the sciences.

Kelly

I don't know that there really is anything unique about UCSD. It was certainly the best option for me when I was deciding which university to attend, but I don't really think it has any unique attributes. I suppose some of the departments here make the school unique. The neuroscience program is number 1 in the country and there are a few other very highly ranked programs here. I suppose the level of academic excellence makes this school unique.

The location and the strength of the education I received.

Angelica

The trees.

The close proximity to the beautiful La Jolla beaches and the entertainment you can find off campus.

Margaret

UCSD is composed of 6 colleges within the university. Any major can be in any college, but the college is like your home base on campus. Students live within their college, have activities within their given college, as well as have college specific advisors. Even once you move off campus, you still feel tied to your college. This helps create a small college feel while still having all the perks of a large university.

Maureen

This school host many career competitive students, premeds, and such so there is a strong focus on biology and sciences. They are tough compared to other schools. Housing is expensive but somewhat worth it for the area. The area of San Diego is not very 18+friendly. only 21+. The school is just the righ t size and very safe. It is just as good as those big named schools without the big name.

Jonathan

It's located next to a beautiful coastline.

Kayla

our school is unique that we have little colleges whithin the university that promotes diff. kinds of teaching.

Berenise

It is huge...over 2,000 acres in land. Students have to plan classes accordingly...many times is hard to get from one end of the campus to another in 10 minutes, so a bike comes in handy. It is also divided into six colleges in order for students to feel a stronger sense of community. The architecture is unlike any other school...mostly abstract builindings that blend into the surroundings. The Giesel Library is unlike any other library...in the country!!! Seven floors high, resembling a spaceship...the Giesel library serves as the core of the campus.

Brian

UCSD offers many research/science related opportunities. Even though i am not of a science major, there are still opportunities to have a great education here.

Sasha

If you don't dorm your first year, you are not living the college experience... If you want to make friends fast, get involved or dorm!

Adrienne

... i think i said everything! :)

John

In hot weather, some people really need to leave their clothing on. Like, really.

Eric

Overall a good school. Don't come here just because it was the best academic school you got into; a lot of bitter rejects come here just to bitch and no body likes them. Great weather all the time, and there is a lot of fun if you are the right kind of person.