University of California-San Diego Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Bob

...

Simon

Besides Triton Day where everyone is ridiculously spirited. There is not really any support for school teams. We don't have a football team either.

Simon

Whisper

In the first quarter the basketball games are always really fun. Usually the school holds a school spirit competition in the beginning of the season where everyone gets dressed up in our school colors and reps their gear from their specific college at UCSD (ERC, Marshall, Muir, Revelle, Warren, and Sixth). The judges then decide who has the most school spirit and the winner gets a trophy. I've never known the other sports on campus to be very popular, but most of our athletics department is top notch in the division. There are a good amount of students who try out for the teams too. Most of my friends are very active and athletic. People who don't make the team usually join a club team and try again next year. Intramural's are pretty popular too. Many of the sororities and fraternities make their own team and everyone else plays for fun.

Bob

Many people participate in recreational sports and workout, but then again there are a vast number more (the majority) who do not. As far as NCAA athletics go, there is almost no school spirit at UCSD and very few people (literally only a few) every attend any of the games for any given sport.