University of California-San Diego Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

I guess there are really two stereotypes about people at UCSD. If you ask the general population its probably that there's no social life (hence UC socially dead) but I think there's also another stereotype that comes from UCSD itself, that this is the ultimate safety school. That the majority of people come here when they don't get into Berkeley or UCLA or Stanford or basically any elite school you can think of.

Cary

all they do is study

Abra

That UCSD students are nerds, don't have type of social life, only go to the library and don't know how to have fun

nerdy, boring, no social life to balance out classwork

UCSD is considered an "academic school." Sports are extremely low key; I ran Track and field and couldn't ever get more than two or three friends to visit my meets! Sciences, Engineering, Economics, and Political science are top notch, but most other majors get the shaft. UCSD students are antisocial, awkward, asian, boring, nerdy science majors. Each subcollege has its own stereotypes: Revelle has awkward asian science majors, Muir is full of lazy potheads, Eleanor Roosevelt has superficial social science flakes, Warren has engineers.

The most common one is that we are nerds with no social lives and that the campus is socially dead.

We study all the time, there's nothing to do on campus.

Jerry

Nerdy, antisocial, fixated on getting As, asian, boring

Sasha

They are antisocial. It is a cold university. Some say it's a party school but I would have to disagree...

Adrienne

hmm.. i guess some stereotypes are like everyone's asian; no one ever parties and constantly studies. that's all i can think of for now. :/

Socially awkward and unattractive, bitter about not getting into UCLA or Berkeley.

Vick

they're either asian or white, really nerdy, don't know how to socialize (basically we're "socially awkward"), we have a dead campus, we go to the beach all the time, and we ALWAYS have nice weather

Dead campus on nights and weekends. Nerds that study too much.

Parker

It has no social life. Everyone majors in biological sciences, or engineering. Everyone is a nerd. Everyone is socially awkward.

That we are the nerds of the nerds and that there are no good looking people on campus. That the campus is very political.

Peter

There are many stereotypes about UCSD, the most prevalent of which is that all UCSD are nerds who just study all day and don't do anything fun. Another stereotype is that everyone at UCSD is a science or engineering major (i.e. Bio, Chem, Bioengineering, etc). A third stereotype is that you have to do to SDSU in order to have a good time, because that's were all the parties are at.

Bri

Boring U.C. Socially Dead Serious Studious

- UCSD student are the cream of the crop students that have been rejected by Berkeley and UCLA, so there is definetely a large pool if genius here. And the majority of student are asian immigrants, let alone the american born students.

Reese

Nerds, no social life or abilities. UCSD = UC Socially Disabled

Dondra

That the students are all really smart and that the atmosphere on campus is not very friendly. The only parties that go on are study-parties, and everyone is a grimy engineer.

Reese

No social life, all Asians.

Connie

science-orientated, beach-bums, we have it easy because we're on the quarter system

Toby

UCSD: seclusive, competitive, highly regarded, large classes, no school spirit, collegiate sports nonexistant, drunkards during SunGod, many science majors, great staff, lack of diversity,

Emmerson

If you're not Asian, you're in the minority.

UCSD is the "boring" UC. People here don't have a social life and only care about their schoolwork.

Owen

The major stereotype about UCSD is that it is boring. Everyone believes that most UCSD students are boring that just stay in their room studying or playing video games. There is no nightlife and students just go home on the weekends.

Russell

UCSD is a boring place because there's no real Greek system and the school is located in a snobby rich community of old white people. People talk about the "triton eye" or "triton vision" which means that so many people at UCSD aren't attractive and that one's standards of beauty are lowered. The other stereotype about UCSD is that it's full of nerds because there are more Asians than Caucasians in the school's population.

That we are all really smart and all we do is study.

UCSD is a boring school b/c we dont have a football team.

anne

UCSD students are generally thought to be studious but boring. People think UCSD doesn’t have an exciting social life for students and UCSD is notorious for being only a school geared toward sciences.

I hear that UCSD is an anti-social, lacking school spirit, don't party, and everybody goes home on the weekends.

That they are boring, that there is nothing to do, that people are to themselves, that they aren't spirited

1. The girls are ugly (false!) 2. Muir kids are slackoffs (true!) 3. Revelle kids are geeks (true!) 4. UCSD stands for University California Socially Dead. (true/false. You just have to know where to look)

Very smart students, lots of asians, usually science major, fairly conservative, hard studiers

Torry

unsocial

Anida

A lot of people stereotype us party-goers just because they hear "San Diego", but once you get to college you realize that we're the nerd school out of all the San Diego universities.

Kenny

Nerdy, boring, unattractive girls

Cassidy

Mainly, people think we're socially dead nerds. I feel like that image is starting to change as greek life and kind of sports become more popular, but no real progress is being made.

Maureen

I've heard of a couple mixed reviews. There's one that says UCSD is a nerd school. But a lot of people tend to mix up UCSD with SDSU, which is possibly one of the biggest party schools I know. Another is something called "UCSD beer goggles" or the fact that nobody at UCSD is hot.

nerds, studying all the time, parties consist of groups studying together at geisel library

that we are party alot... just the confusion with SDSU.. hahahah

We study on Fridays and Saturdays...and all other days of the week. We do not know how to party and enjoy ourselves (minus Sun God. We are extremely anti-social otherwise. There are a lot of underground druggies.

KC

UCSD is a nerdy school. Students study all the time since there are never any parties going on. UCSD is in La Jolla, which is known to be an old-person's town so they did not want to make a football team since it would be too rowdy in the town. They essentially want to take away the aspects that define college life. There is no frat row that every other college has. The students are thought to be boring as shit and only the cool ones rely on parties from SDSU since nothing ever goes down here. UCSD is boring, always out to steal your money (athletics referendum.. does it ring a bell?) and is full of ugly people.

Well, theres the fact that everyone is a nerd, and a Science Major. Also, everyone thinks that everyone here is ugly, that you need to wear UCSD goggles. Also, there is a stereotype that everyone is asian.

Bonnie

I haven't heard that many stereotypes about UCSD students, other than the one that states, "everyone at UCSD is majoring in something biology or chemistry-related."

They are all really nerdy. They basically have no lives and study all the time. Also, that there is no athletics scene because we have no football team.

we are geeks?? :)

that we are nerds and don't have social lives... seriously, i get that all the time.

Diane

That they're boring and unfriendly

robin

UCSD is a boring school with no social life and the only way to actually have a social life is to go Greek. UCSD students are anti-social and only interested in studying.