University of California-Santa Barbara Top Questions

Describe a typical weekend.

Alaina

The typical UCSB student is interested in partying and getting decent grades. Weekends usually consist of going out into Isla Vista Friday or Saturday and studying all day Sunday. The amount that you party is totally dependent on you. Some people can go out every weekend and still get good grades while some people can't handle it and get placed on academic probation or even flunk out of school. My freshman year I partied a lot but by my last year I rarely went out. It's fun to be out of your parent's house and independent, so it can be easy to get caught up in partying at first. Parties in Isla Vista are really laid back as well and it's great to be able to walk down a street and hang out with people you may not even know. But there are so many events that don't involve drinking. There are comedy shows most weekends, free movies put on by the school, and lectures and speakers that you can go see. And of course you can start early on your homework on the weekend! Also, you can go hiking in the mountains, go shopping downtown or go exploring. Santa Barbara is beautiful and has so much to offer outside of school.