University of California-Santa Barbara Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of California-Santa Barbara

Amber

I love this environment. It has its ups and downs, but I really have made a home here. It’s easy to feel comfortable. The religious studies department is PHENOMENAL. I cannot say the same for the political science department as they are not nearly as warm and helpful, but regardless of the struggles this school is worth committing to.

Emmily

UCSB is a great well rounded school. Students here are intellectually driven and worked hard to get accepted here. Faculty members genuinely want to help students and always provide us with extra resources or career advice to help point us in the right decision. People may think of the party scene when they first hear about UCSB, but that image of us is overrated and rowdy parties have been mitigated down to casual kickbacks and smaller size social parties of friends getting together to celebrate after a midterm and what not. Also, one of the best points about UCSB is our location. We have our own private lagoon on campus and we're settled right next to the beach for an easy few minute walk to destress.

Honestly, Santa Barbara is a work hard play hard kind of school. Students are challenged more than adequately and take advantage of the many stress-relieving outlets available at this school: sports, surfing, going out to the town of Isla Vista. Everyone is friendly-students, custodians, faculty. As a freshman, it is very easy to find some sort of niche where you will belong. All the negative stereotypes that come wit college life are present, but in my opinion there is no better place to experience it than the beautiful campus of Santa Barbara surrounded by people that eagerly accept you (and respect you) into the college lifestyle

I love UCSB. It is my first year here, and there have been so many opportunities for me to develop academically and socially. I am able to ride the buses to Downtown Santa Barbara if I choose, I can walk the trails on campus between the beaches and the campus. My professors have been so open and willing to offer their assistance, and my Teaching Assistants are so easy to get in contact with. I'm so happy I made attending UCSB my final choice.

Thomas

UCSB is a pretty great school. There are a variety of opportunities in the academic and social world. There are many different social activism clubs and a million other ways to get involved. There is also IV which has all the night life you could ask for. O yea and you live right near the beach.

Alma

I definitely feel at home here. The classes are challenging but I have learned to figure out study methods that work for me. The campus has a very chill vibe and is very much a beach town. I like that UCSB is in its own little world and is not surrounded by big cities like other universities.

teresa

It's a great place to go to school. Everyone is really friendly, and if you get lost someone will definitely help you out. The professors and TAs hold regular office hours where you can go talk to them about class material, the major, and/or about their research (and if you can get involved).

Kevin

I think its a good campus but it has a reputation for its parties. The frats and sororities are really crazy. The on campus dining halls are really bland and repetitive. Some of the professors are definitely good at their job but some seem like they don't care about the students. Most of the classes are theoretical so there are not many hands on classes. If you are not part of a frat you should join a few clubs to keep your social life.

meeka

I Think UCSB is a good school to attend. Though since I am Black, I feel like it would be harder to get into . It Is the school that I would like to attend. I just hope that will not stop me from being able to attend University of California- Santa Barbara.

Meryn

UCSB is in a great place, right near the beach, but also in the mountains. It may not get all 4 seasons, but you usually can get partial change of seasons. Its usually a nice comfy, temperature from 60-70. When you have off time, the beach is right there. All the classes are really well taught and well staffed. There are tons of way to stay involved on campus as well.

Cassidy

I love the easy-going yet educated atmosphere on campus. It's clear that students are intelligent and are there to learn but we also know how to relax and enjoy ourselves at the same time. The location is incredible and it's very close to downtown Santa Barbara, which is great for whenever you need a change of scenery. Isla Vista is a really cool little town with a definite college-town feel where there is always something to do or see.

Ali

Its absolutly amazing here. Reading textbooks at the beach is the best way to study and theres always something to do and friends to hang out with. A very chill scene. 10/10 recommend.

Kalani

Any University takes some time getting used to, but UCSB has made that process not only much easier, but also a lot of fun! The campus is beautiful and the people are happy and kind. The staff and professors are there to help you and they make sure to tell you. The weather is almost always perfect and there is always something to do. I am so glad I chose UCSB.

Konrad

UCSB is rightly renowned for its academics and has the undue and outdated reputation as a "party school." Sure, partying is a prevalent and visible part of student life, but students play hard and work harder. UCSB a medium-sized campus with a secluded niche community in Isla Vista, so it can feel lively or a bit cramped -- really depends on your outlook. As for the faculty, the professors are from all over the world and are typically outstanding in their field. It's a good idea to get to know them outside of class and ask them about their work.

Michelle

I was extremely nervous about the "party school" reputation of UCSB when I confirmed my acceptance. It also has a very different demographic from my hometown as well as a different "vibe" (Bay Area versus Southern California). However, after almost the completion of my first year here, I can assure myself one year ago that I shouldn't worry. People say this all the time, but college really is what you make of it. If you want it to be a party school, you can find those type of people to hang out with. If you're more of a homebody, you can definitely do that, too. The rundown is this: UC Santa Barbara is an immensely competitive school filled with students who know how to both work hard and play hard. It recently climbed the ranks and became the #3 university in the University of California system. It has excellent programs for STEM majors, especially computer science and physics, and plenty of resources for the well-being of students. There is so much diversity in the population, with a spectrum of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and so on being covered far and wide. And a bonus? You live directly ON a beach. The ocean is always right beside you, providing some unbelievable views and weather. In addition, UCSB is located next to a college town called Isla Vista, and there's no place like it on Earth. It's a mix of a college student's utopia and an adult's idea of a wasteland, a lovely community that you can't find in any other place. It's a great place to spend four years.

Brianna

Most of the professors are really good in their field and many are also great at teaching. It is usually the other students that this stellar university that are the problem. How they manage to stay in the University is beyond me. They generally do not try hard. As a general rule, they are not highly dedicated. I guess they had good high school grades or good writing skills and decided to coast on that. The campus could stand to give their workers more money and more rights. THe workers keep striking, but the campus is always meticulously maintained??? So, if you’re looking for somewhere that is community-minded, take UCSB with a grain of salt. Finally, let’s discuss the bathroom situation on campus. Most of the areas with high traffic have decent public johns. However, the areas with less traffic, like the baseball field, the bathrooms are in desperate need of an upgrade. In the HSSB building, they keep closing the restroom for supposed maintenance, but the bathroom there is meh at best and the constant closure means that there is one less place to pee if you have to park behind the HSSB building. Do not even get me started on the bathrooms in South Hall. THey are a mess. However, despite all this, they do have genderless bathrooms on campus, so well done there. I guess, overall, do go to UCSB, but pee strategically, do your best for the workers, and be dedicated. You will then get the most out of your university education there.

Andrea

Great school, I used to be a student there. The only thing that wasn’t for me was the party scene. I’m not into partying as much and well if you go there it’s just expected that you do so. If you don’t you’re just kinda seen funny. Also the lack of diversity and lack of ethnic food!

Valerie

I loved the environment here. Everything from the students and staff to the school activities and how much school pride everyone had. I also loved how there was a well balance between fun time and getting down to business with school work. Ive met the most motivated and eager people at this campus. GO CHOS!

Damaris

UCSB is a highly ranked university but it has issues surrounding the campus community and it's surrounding community of Goleta. There has been several events that have made a large impact on the community, specifically those affected by mental health and those who are in financial need. The community has recently been affected by a student suicide and the anniversary of the shooting that occurred in 2014. There has also been a lot of student and community advocacy for the extension of Cal Grant for the summer to provide financial aid for summer classes. There has also been a big movement regarding campus staff because of the unfair wages and contract details for them.

Gabrielle

University of California-Santa Barbara has a beautiful campus located right next to the ocean. The sight seeing and recreational opportunities at this school are incredible. My professors and teacher's assistants have all been helpful and friendly so far. The only real problems I've had have been with the financial aid and billing office, which I suppose isn't related to the education and housing aspect of the school. The dining commons on campus have good days and not so good days. I really liked meatless Monday, which took place on my second week at school. As a vegetarian it was nice to have a variety of options to choose from, all of which were very good.

chiara

Great campus and an amazing environment with the staff/students. There are so many available facilities that are in great condition. You're also given so many opportunities to really thrive on this campus. They also do all they can to take care of everyone there.

Oscar

UCSB is one of the most well rounded universities that I know of. With beautiful views of the ocean along with year long summer weather to outstanding academics and friendly student body, UCSB is known for excellent academics while enjoying the youthful college scene.

Yoo-Jee

I was a little skeptical at first because of its reputation but there's a great sense of community at the school! Professors are always willing to help out students as long as you're willing to reach out to them. The school doesn't have a tense, competitive atmosphere. We're all here to succeed and help each other succeed!

Xarah

Overall I would say that I do love this school, it grows on you. When I first arrived on campus I didn't feel like it was my own, but as I spent more time here I started to feel more involved. The students on campus are fairly active and there is always something going on on campus that I want to be involved in.

Angel

I love this school and do not picture myself elsewhere! I do wish there were improvement in policy and funding such as increasing funding to the RCSGD (aka LGBTQ Center) and increase in administration support for minorities. With a rise in white supremacy in the US and with Trump's election, there have been many situations where students, mainly minority students, do not feel safe, welcomed, or accepted on campus or in the greater area. But that is in many schools. My experiences at UCSB has changed my identity and whole life path. No one would have imagined that I would be the person I am today three years later, and I would not have gotten the passion I have to change the world if I did not come to this school. I now want to become a lawyer, whether criminal, immigration, or civil; this new path in which I will embark is something that UCSB as carved for me and I will always be grateful for.

Pam

Located right on the ocean, weather is amazing, bikes are #1 for transportation, great opportunity for social, sports, parties, outdoor life. Academics are great - on the quarter system which I love. So happy with my choice!!

Daijah

For the most part, everyone at UC Santa Barbara is chill and nice. The campus is beautiful. People literally come to vacation here in the summer. It's right by the beach and close to the mountains. Teachers are not hard to get a hold of. If you need help, professors are more than willing to take the time you need to clarify and explain. There's also office hours and small discussion classes they hold where students can get a more intimate setting to ask for help and get work done. Making friends isn't hard as long as you don't stay in your dorm and there's always some type of event going on in campus. They also have FREE counseling so if you need to talk to someone, they are their to help. I love my school and would highly recommend applying!!

Adilene

This is an amazing school! Having the beach nearby at all time helps on those stressful days where you want to relax out there and listen to some good music. People are generally pretty friendly and there are plenty of resources out there to help students out with anything they might need!

Chloe

I love it. The campus is beautiful and people are always willing to help you. The environment is calm but people still know have to have fun. It is amazing because everyone here knows what they love and aren't afraid of anyone else's opinions. I originally did not want to attend UCSB, but I am so grateful I did.

Winter

It definitely feels like a public school when you look at the quality of housing and dining halls. Additionally, the classes fill up really fast and it can be frustrating when you're trying to enroll in a class to satisfy your pre-major requirements but it's already full. The party culture is pretty prevalent, and it can kind of be a drag if you're not into it. However, the people here are so nice, and the location is great. Classes seem to have reasonable expectations of students, and there are lots of extracurriculars to join.

Melissa

I haven't yet started classes at Santa Barbara, but I have visited a couple of times now, and have made multiple friends who already go there, or are getting ready to start with me in the fall. From what I've seen on campus, there seems to be an endless list of things to do- from surfing to soccer to joining the radio program there is definitely something there for everybody! My only complaint so far is that I just happened to go to orientation on the weekend with the absolute worst weather- even the students running orientation said the weather was completely abnormal.

Carmiya

It's a top notch school on a beautiful campus. There are so many resources as it is a large school and everyone is more than willing to help. Students are extremely nice here and many are outgoing but introverts can definitely thrive here as well. If you're unsure about your college decision, remember that your dream school is just that- a dream. You can be happy and successful at any school as long as you put in the work.

Gloria

I have only gone through one year in this university, and opinions can change. In general, everything about UCSB is great. What makes it great is whether you get the most out of what UCSB offers. Clubs, sports, fraternities/sororities, working on campus, living on campus, you name it. Although I did not partake in much activity during my first year here aside from going to classes and joining a club, I did enjoy my time here and wish to see how much more I can take in.

Damani

UCSB not only is a great school with a beautiful campus, but it consists of so many diverse students from all over. At first I felt out of place but once I found friends and organizations I was interested in; Isla Vista became my home. One thing I especially love is the efforts people put in to voicing their opinion for social justice and other causes that affect students’ lives. Faculty are very supportive and willing to help with your needs if you utilize your resources. There are so many opportunities to get involved on this campus that you will eventually find a place that fits your needs. The atmosphere is very chill and inclusive so you will never feel like an outsider. Not only are the people cool but they are smart and study hard. Dedicate your Monday through Thursday studying and you can enjoy the beautiful sunny community on the weekends. This is a great school for all sectors of education and you are given so many resources to succeed.

Miles

The experience of attending UCSB is unparalleled; people not only become educated here but also find themselves. Being immersed in a small, home-town sort of environment (Isla Vista) where you at the very least have facial recognition and are always friendly on cliffs overlooking the ocean is unbeatable. In addition to education in the classroom, the social adaptability you learn is something that stays with you forever.

Areg

It's a great place pretty much for any major. I didn't think much of this place before attending here, but now after a year. I'm really glad that I'm part of UCSB. The community here is great, people are very nice there is a place for everyone. Go Gauchos!

Anna

I love it but they could work on offering more classes to fit all student needs. I love that the campus is so beautiful and offers such a vacation vibe to it. I am a liberal so I fit in perfectly and love talking to my classmates and friends about politics and things that we are passionate about.

Albert

Santa Barbara is a great school with an abundance of opportunities that can help students succeed. I know that there are several resources that, if used appropriately, can help students achieve anything they desire as far as goals and aspirations go. They are culturally diverse and demonstrate acceptance for people from all communities, and they encourage all their students to strive for success. From what I have seen this school truly prioritizes it's student population.

Adelaide

UCSB has a great environment of people which is super encouraging as a young student. Not only do I feel that I am gaining the desired social college experience, I'm also receiving one of the best educations that one can get. I know that once I graduate from UCSB, I will be proud to be a Gaucho.

When I told people I would be attending UCSB, their first response always tended to be: "Oh,,,It's a party school, right?" It would be a lie to say those words and their reaction to my choice of school didn't hurt. Luckily, I had the chance to visit the campus multiple times at open house, orientation, and multiple visits with family. There's no doubt that the school has a beautiful campus and environment around it, but there is no school in the world that is one hundred percent crime proof. However, the atmosphere and the liveliness of the students who had greeted me and provided assistance to me, truly made me admire the school for what its unique attribute of being named the one of the happiest colleges in the nation. Of course there are aspects to the school that are merely satisfactory, but the amount of student involvement and care provided to the students shows no doubt that I have chosen the perfect school for me.

Maria

As a first year coming into college, it was such a huge step for me as a first generation student. The idea of moving out from home was both exciting yet terrifying to take as a young adult. Attending such a prestigious and wonderful school, I am so glad I decided to attend University of California Santa Bárbara. I am proud and honored to be part of such an amazing campus were many are enthusiastic in learning and making this experience an unforgettable one. The staff and programs offered here to help students academically, physically and mentally are what makes the environment safe and prepared. I can say that I do not regret choosing UCSB and love the gorgeous colors this campus has to offer.

Nidhi

I came to this school not knowing what it looked like or hearing anything about it; it was very random. To this day I absolutely do not regret my decision. The beach being nearby is always a place to go when you want to get away from the stress, Isla Vista has great food and sense of community, and generally people are really nice on campus. Everything is beautiful here and the weather is also pretty amazing.

Leslee

UCSB sets itself apart from other schools in the UC system by having its' very own beach. While this is amazing, it is not the only thing the school has to offer. The campus promotes healthy and green living, which creates a very laidback atmosphere. Students find a way to balance this chill lifestyle with intense academics, and it is that that earns UCSB its' title as a top research university.

Emigdio

At this particular University, I believe the overall environment is completely second to none. The student life here at this university is certainly one of genuine compassion and open-mindedness, as the diversity among my peers is quite significant. The professors here truly carry along a passion for what they do and I find it truly inspiring and motivational, in regards of pursuing my education. As a whole, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this university to anyone who is interested in truly making the absolute most of their college experience.

Damian

This place sucks. The classes are okay, but everyone's a tool and will side-eye you if you're not white. I, the dunce I am, was fooled by the posters they threw at me in high school. Choose anywhere else. Of course, there probably aren't a lot of places that'll be a receptacle for all the UCLA rejects. K bye.

Josselyne

I love it here! The campus is so full of life. There's beautiful scenery everywhere, from mountains to beaches and even fields. Of course because I'm currently enrolled it's stressful; I'm learning how to balance out my social life and academic life. The dining food is okay, nothing compares to home cooked meals. There's Isla Vista which has the fast food within walking distance. To get anywhere farther either bike it or bus it, unless you have a car but most students don't. Everything aside I'm glad I came.

Jordan

A fantastic place to study and grow! I have nothing but praise to say about UCSB. In terms of academics, I felt that the classes were very engaging and thought provoking. And the living experience with the extracurriculars is second to non. Couldn't have asked for a better place to live and attend school.

Scarlette

I love this university. The weather is always great which is a plus; however, the people on this campus are very enthuastic and attentive which makes UCSB even greater. It's very difficult to explain, but the flow and vibe of UCSB is very relaxed. Campus is also right next to the beach which is amazing. Classes offered are very dynamic yet specialized to most people's interests. Overall, I am very glad I chose UCSB for my undergraduate studies.

Morgan

I love UCSB! We have it all: academics, social scene, and the best location on the west coast (the beach cannot be beat!). Community is HUGE here, you'll find your place on campus. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out. There are always events going on on campus every week, be sure to check them out. We are definitely the epitome of "work hard, play hard".

Helen

This is a great school to discover yourself and learn how to network with others. People here study hard but also know how to relax! Our academics are top knotch and there are always research opportunities if you go and represent yourself to the professors.