University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

Our school is a fun-loving, extremely liberal, environmentally-consious, academically-focused school with a massively diverse student body (many of whom are hippies walking around campus playing the guitar and singing to random folk). We are located in the middle of a redwood forest, 10 min. from the ocean, and 30 min. from the mountains. We have a museum on campus (not for art but for herpatology/ornithology, entymology). Our bus drivers are super friendly. Our mascot is a banana slug. You can't get any more awesome than that. We love to work hard and play even harder!

School almost feels like summer camp. You are surrounded by the outdoors but have a cute downtown & the beach just 5 minutes away. It's a very spread out campus with an ecclectic group of students. You can kind find every kind of person at UCSC, not just hippies and potheads. Groups are usually tight knit and people will know if you are a usual of that scene. But people are always very open and welcome if you make the first move. Greek life made my college experience at UCSC.

Santa Cruz is full of academic challenges in a wide variety of subjects from the arts to the sciences, and has not only something for every different kind of mind, but for every different kind of person; the beautiful trees throughout the campus let us interract with nature, and yet all the different organizations allow for differing social situations as well.

The Quarry Plaza is considered the center of campus. It is where the bookstore, an express delivery store, Joe’s Pizza and Subs, and a general food store are located. The bookstore has everything a student would need for classes and even sells computers. Since the closest Staples is nowhere near campus the bookstore becomes your friend.

Oakes is stereotyped as being ghetto, and home to a lot of minorities. I don’t find this to be true at all. I have to admit that the school does look weird. All the buildings are made out of wood because they are supposed to resemble the forest around them, but the buildings are old and look dilapidated.

My school is a diverse place with an amazing atmosphere. I love my surroundings and the people are always friendly. I do not feel that I am at school when I am in the university of california, santa cruz. That is the best part of my school having such a fresh and clean environmnet.

Every freshman is Stevenson, and many from Cowell, hang out at the knoll. It has great ocean views and is located behind Stevenson and right above East Field. It is where everyone smokes pot, and bongs are a common site at anytime of the day. It’s a safe haven for smokers.

UC Santa Cruz is the university that can offer it all- gorgeous vistas, top teir research- and it does all this and still remains a down to earth, intellectual school, where students are encouraged to share their ideas and participate in research with university proffessors.

UC Santa Cruz is a combination of an impressive arts program, state of the art research facilities, and an ideal location, being nestled between the Santa Cruz mountains and California's coastline, producing one of the most diverse learning centres in our modern day.

UCSC has a large pool open to all UCSC students. The pool is located next to OPERS and the Fitness Center. On weekends students will break into the pool at night and go for a swim, it’s a popular pastime for freshmen, and totally illegal.