University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

My school is best known for it's beautiful campus which is surrounded by redwood trees, it's silly mascot (the banana slug), and it's friendly enviornment. Our school is highly ranked for pyschology and computer- gaming. Also marine biology is a popular major since our campus is very close to the coast. The people on campus are very friendly as well as the professors. We have a beautiful exercizing facility that looks out to the ocean. Our campus is very green. We use biodegradable utensils and plates and there are several other enviormentally aspects on campus.

There are two main areas of excellence/fame at UCSC. The excellence claim to notoriety is the genetics research that is unique to UCSC. The human genome project was comlpeted here and continues to be a source of ongoing research and discovery. The other area that UCSC is known for is a bit more contreversial. UCSC has a large hippie population. It is rather common to see people going to class barefoot and growing vegetables in their backyards. This mix of old hippie culture with new cutting-edge technological prestige is very interesting to partake in.

My school is a reflection of what we are surrounded by. Our campus lies on the periphery of a redwood forest, on top of a mountain overlooking Monterey Bay. It is one of the most beautiful college campuses in the states. Add a vintage hippie culture and new indie influence from the youth and you'll soon understand the mind of a banana slug. UCSC is best known for it's free spirit, it's open mindedness and creativity. Our beautiful beaches and groovy people are all key for inspiration and discovery. Our motto: KEEP SANTA CRUZ WEIRD!

I am proud to say, with it being my major, that the linguistics department of UC Santa Cruz is number one in North America. Let me say that again: # 1 in the WHOLE continent! We are also known for the naked run during the first rain of the season. We have a farm on campus that is completely sustainable on its own. My school is, as I have mentioned before, in a very geographically diverse area which leaves many things to do when the monotony of studying sets in. And again, everyone here is very outgoing and relaxed.

Regarding academics, I believe that the school is best known for its Marine Biology and Astronomy subjects. Marine Biology is almost a given because the campus is only a couple of miles from the Pacific Ocean. UC Santa Cruz is one of the universities in the country for the quality of its research in astronomy. Unlike other universities, UC Santa Cruz has close ties with an observatory, specifically the Lick Observatory. Therefore, the astronomy program will have benefits unlike any other astronomy-major student.

My school is best known for its academics. UCSC doesn't have many sports for students to participate in, but the academics are top notch; especially in the science area. I believe we are somewhat of a science-based school, we have an entire "Science Hill" dedicated to two physical science buildings, an entire building of laboratories, a science and technology library, natural science buildings, earth and marine science buildings, as well as a biomedical research building that is currently under construction.

Historically, the IUniversity of california at Santa Cruz has been well known for its environmental science program, although in recent years, the close working relationship UCSC has developed with Stanford has become much more known in the academic, research, and career fields. I am confident that these connections and the work I am doing at Stanford's CIBSR will serve me well in terms of getting into medical school, perhaps even at Stanford.

Our school is best known for two things: 4/20 and banana slugs. 4/20 is a day for those who smoke weed to gather in an area on campus and all smoke together. Our school has been ranked number 1 for its weed smoking. Unfortunately, this tends to take away from the fact that there are students who are more focused on education, myself included, than on doing drugs as frequently as they do homework.

My school is best known for its eco-friendly environment. Most students at UCSC are aware of the global warming issue and are eco-conscious. UCSC is one of few schools that take the extra effort to compost and recycle. My school is also best known for being very liberal. At one point or another, students are exposed to the ideas of Socialism and Marx, as these ideas run rampant on campus.

My school is best known for its excelling research in Biology, namely Marine Biology, and an exceptional Psychology department. My school is also known for being a "party" or "drug" school. And while there are quite a few drug users on campus, I have yet to see it take away from the seriousness of the academic environment, or the quality of my time at school.