University of California-Santa Cruz Top Questions

Our school is best known for two things: 4/20 and banana slugs. 4/20 is a day for those who smoke weed to gather in an area on campus and all smoke together. Our school has been ranked number 1 for its weed smoking. Unfortunately, this tends to take away from the fact that there are students who are more focused on education, myself included, than on doing drugs as frequently as they do homework.

Gladys

I do not have one yet, I am an incoming freshman. But I guess the first rain tradition sounds fun. When it pours the first time of every school year, students run naked on campus and then jump in the pool.

Yvette

The University of California Santa Cruz is best known for heavy research contributions to science and engineering. Although the sciences are best known, the social sciences are equally important and have produced research that is recognized as being a part of highest academic calliber in the U.S. and abroad.

Aneshia

My school is best known for its excelling research in Biology, namely Marine Biology, and an exceptional Psychology department. My school is also known for being a "party" or "drug" school. And while there are quite a few drug users on campus, I have yet to see it take away from the seriousness of the academic environment, or the quality of my time at school.

Historically, the IUniversity of california at Santa Cruz has been well known for its environmental science program, although in recent years, the close working relationship UCSC has developed with Stanford has become much more known in the academic, research, and career fields. I am confident that these connections and the work I am doing at Stanford's CIBSR will serve me well in terms of getting into medical school, perhaps even at Stanford.

UC Santa Cruz is best known for its large campus and for its ability to accept people of every different orientation and mindset without judging.

Selena

Having a relaxed and welcomig environment.

Hippies. It resembles the very liberal laid back aspect of northern california. The diversity and different (often perceived as odd) lifestyle opens people up to all sorts of different "normals". The unique environment gently forces students to accept beliefs and lifestyles out of their ordinary.

My school is a reflection of what we are surrounded by. Our campus lies on the periphery of a redwood forest, on top of a mountain overlooking Monterey Bay. It is one of the most beautiful college campuses in the states. Add a vintage hippie culture and new indie influence from the youth and you'll soon understand the mind of a banana slug. UCSC is best known for it's free spirit, it's open mindedness and creativity. Our beautiful beaches and groovy people are all key for inspiration and discovery. Our motto: KEEP SANTA CRUZ WEIRD!

Sawyer

Being liberal, being 'out there,' and having a diverse range of people. Community Studies major, which is actually going to be shut down if something isn't done.

My school is best known for its eco-friendly environment. Most students at UCSC are aware of the global warming issue and are eco-conscious. UCSC is one of few schools that take the extra effort to compost and recycle. My school is also best known for being very liberal. At one point or another, students are exposed to the ideas of Socialism and Marx, as these ideas run rampant on campus.

Regarding academics, I believe that the school is best known for its Marine Biology and Astronomy subjects. Marine Biology is almost a given because the campus is only a couple of miles from the Pacific Ocean. UC Santa Cruz is one of the universities in the country for the quality of its research in astronomy. Unlike other universities, UC Santa Cruz has close ties with an observatory, specifically the Lick Observatory. Therefore, the astronomy program will have benefits unlike any other astronomy-major student.

UC Santa Cruz is partially known for its huge size and gorgeous landscapes as well as its arts, unique group of studdents and academics.

Dianna

My school is best known for its academics. UCSC doesn't have many sports for students to participate in, but the academics are top notch; especially in the science area. I believe we are somewhat of a science-based school, we have an entire "Science Hill" dedicated to two physical science buildings, an entire building of laboratories, a science and technology library, natural science buildings, earth and marine science buildings, as well as a biomedical research building that is currently under construction.

Hana

My school is known for their research in the sciences, more specifically space sciences and physics. It is also known for its economics program, and the "marijuana culture."

Artistic students, crazy parties, and legal things that aren't legal elsewhere. Also, a very strong Marine Biology program, as well as Astronomy and sciences

Sciences. Especially Astrophysics. Also for hippies, its not as hippie as its reputation, but it is very liberal, and if you have interests that would normally be conisdered hippie like it is easy to find orgs and clubs and things like that are for your interests. Would not recommend this school to someone who does not like a liberal atmosphere.

My school is best known for it's beautiful campus which is surrounded by redwood trees, it's silly mascot (the banana slug), and it's friendly enviornment. Our school is highly ranked for pyschology and computer- gaming. Also marine biology is a popular major since our campus is very close to the coast. The people on campus are very friendly as well as the professors. We have a beautiful exercizing facility that looks out to the ocean. Our campus is very green. We use biodegradable utensils and plates and there are several other enviormentally aspects on campus.

Santa Cruz is best known for the mascot: We are the Bannana Slugs...... Made famous by John Travolta in the movie Pulp Fiction. Santa Cruz is also known as a hippie school - There is a big event on campus on 4/20 and the majority of smoke marijuana

Justine

Our Science departments, specifically the Marine Bio program. Also known for being a very liberal campus.

Vivian

It is best known for the physics and marine biology programs. It is very well known for the beautiful campus with red wood trees and the very friendly environment and great weather.

Vadim

There are two main areas of excellence/fame at UCSC. The excellence claim to notoriety is the genetics research that is unique to UCSC. The human genome project was comlpeted here and continues to be a source of ongoing research and discovery. The other area that UCSC is known for is a bit more contreversial. UCSC has a large hippie population. It is rather common to see people going to class barefoot and growing vegetables in their backyards. This mix of old hippie culture with new cutting-edge technological prestige is very interesting to partake in.

Beautiful environment, liberal attitudes, environmental awareness, diversity, beach town, redwoods.

Charlotte

I am proud to say, with it being my major, that the linguistics department of UC Santa Cruz is number one in North America. Let me say that again: # 1 in the WHOLE continent! We are also known for the naked run during the first rain of the season. We have a farm on campus that is completely sustainable on its own. My school is, as I have mentioned before, in a very geographically diverse area which leaves many things to do when the monotony of studying sets in. And again, everyone here is very outgoing and relaxed.

adam

UCSC is known for their research in biology and astro physics

Marina

A beautiful campus, great research opportunities in the sciences, and driven students who go beyond the classroom experience to exceed in life.

Chieu-An

Science.

To the outside world- probably drugs and parties. But what stands out to me about Santa Cruz the most is people's dedication to education. That doesn't mean being top in your class, but rather a much more intellectual dedication to learning for learning's sake.

The beauty of the campus and the environmental awareness.

Its mascot, the banana slug.

A very liberal, large research university. Santa Cruz is strongly associated with its origins, even though it in most respects does not resemble what it was anymore. The campus is also the most beautiful of all time. Any UC is probably the best deal on an education in this country, given what you get for the price paid.

Danny

unfortunately smoking pot