University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

I love UC Santa Cruz. College, whether you're going to an Ivy or a community college, is what you make of it. If you lock yourself in your room and only emerge for class and bathroom breaks, you're not going to get the most out of it. If you sincerely make an effort to get know the people on your floor, in your classes, all around you - your college experience will be a good one. Santa Cruz is perfect if you want a wide variety of people in a laid-back atmosphere. In my experience, the people here know how to party and have fun, but also when it's time to buckle down and study. And you will never find a campus so breathtakingly gorgeous as this one! And you'll be surprised at the swell of pride you begin to feel every time you see a mighty banana slug on your way to class.

When people step onto the UCSC campus it is almost as if they?ve stepped into a time machine instead. Everyone here invokes the spirit of the sixties by expressing love and tolerance of one another, and none are singled out for their oddities but are rather embraced. Though some might find this social behavior backwards, our campus boasts some of the most forward thinkers of our generation. By stressing the importance of being environmentally conscious and by pushing social boundaries to form a more unprejudiced community, UCSC fosters academically driven individuals who take action in that which they believe.

My school contains many support systems that help students with issues beit school, work, social issues, and even family issues. Many professors try their best to help students comprehend the materials they present in the class. There are many retention programs within the school that supports the student in any way possible that may help them stay in school. Another unique thing about my school is the fantastic housing they have. Since the school is somewhat isolated from the city of Santa Cruz, the school has tried to provide every type of housing possibly for every student in the school.

Compared to other universities, Santa Cruz isn't as competitive, which I believe works in this school's favor because students are more willing to work with each other. By not creating this cut-throat tension, I feel welcomed here and that students are always willing to share their knowledge and time to help me. This sense of support gives the campus a positive vibe along with its serene location. The lucious forests of trees that surround students adds to the more peaceful envrionment that remains focused academically, but maintains perspective of keeping this a beautiful place to study.

The University of California, Santa Cruz, is unique in that it is located in the same community where my grandmother lives. Being raised on the East Coast, Massachusetts, I only visited with my maternal grandmother once a year during summer vacations. Once I graduated high school, I began my journey west towards California. After nearly ten years of travelling around the country and living in Colorado, I finally decided to enroll in college at UCSC. I chose to live with my grandmother, and I partially credit her support and friendship in inspiring me to succeed at the university.

Psychological services are lacking severely. If you need psyc help, seek it off-campus through your insurance. Health center is a JOKE. Do not expect to get well with their help. Seek help off-campus as well. Dominican Hospital has excellent care, with several walk in clinics around the city. Great emergency response time for UCSC Fire Department and Santa Cruz ambulances. Planned Parenthood downtown. Great city bus transportation (and free with current student ID). Bike shuttle that takes you and your bike up to campus in the morning so you can ride back down after class.

It's the largest campus in the nation. You live in the middle of the redwood forest, but still have the opportunity to go to the beach and participate in some city fun. We're very environmentally friendly; there are recycling bins galore. Students here tend to be very liberal, but open to different perspectives. There is a special residence system where there is a large university community, but you get to live in a specific college. This makes adapting to the school and making friends a lot easier. It has one of the top linguistics programs in the nation.

The most unique part of UCSC is that even though it is a well-respected research university with 16,000 students, its location still manages to provide students with a sort of calm serenity. It?s nestled in some of the most beautiful California forest, with a view of the Monterey Bay to the south, and hiking trails to the North. Deer frequent the pathways students take to class, and raccoons play at night. It?s impossible to come here and not learn about the best ways to maintain a ?green? lifestyle, and equally as impossible not to want to.

UCSC is a fascinating mix of academics and some of the most beautiful places in California, possibly the world. This isn't a commercial but if it were; buried like a diamond deep beneath the surface, Santa Cruz is a well kept secret full of great places to eat and recreational purposes. The school reflects this in its kind people willing to do anything in their power to help you succeed. That's what makes it so unique, despite everything that goes around here and amidst all the clutter people will remember you and pay attention.

UCSC is absolutely beautiful. Yes, the campus is huge and the buildings are spread out. You will have to walk on trails to get to some of your classes and it does get cold during the winter. The buses get full when it rains and there are not a lot of places to park when your up on campus. But besides that, the campus is environment friendly. The fresh air, the hiking trails, the fields, and the view of the ocean makes it all worth it. I recommend this college to anyone that has an open-mind and loves beautiful scenery.