University of California-Santa Cruz

« See more reviews of University of California-Santa Cruz

Students with closed minds and an inability to accept different lifestyles and different types of people. UCSC is a diverse campus with a very wide range of students from all backgrounds, sexualities and majors. Students who are opposed to primarily outdoor environments, wildlife and hills should not attend this university as the campus is located within a nature reserve. Also, students looking for competative sports should not attend UCSC. Although UCSC has many sports teams, we only compete intermurally and have more of a reputation for our academics than our sports.

University of California Santa Cruz students are very accepting and I think that even if they share different views it does not keep them from being friends. My freshmen year I was the only Christian in my appartment and I am still friends and talk to all my housemates from my first year. Despite the fact that everyone is generally pretty accepting I feel like being environmentally concious and just a love for nature in general is a big part of the people at Santa Cruz and should be shared by attendees. Those academically focused might have a hard time.

I would not recommend this school for students who are much comfortable in the city and would like to experience a typical school life seen on television and in movies. In between classes and on the weekends, the campus is dead. Also, students who like to go places but do not have a car should not attend this school. The closest city is 40 minutes away, San Jose, and there is not much to do there. Students who would like racial diversity and career-focused individuials need to know that there are not many academic and social opportunities.

The type of person that shouldn't attend this school , is someone that isn't active or doesn't want to involve daily exercise in their life. The University of CA Santa Cruz, has many hills and most likely a student will be walking to and from classes from the base of campus up towards science hill. And a person that isn't educationally focused should not attend this schoo, from what I've expeienced from my science classes, they require a lot of studying and reading, as well as a considerable amount of effort.

Anyone very closed minded and/or very conservative I suppose... I would like to think anyone could attend UCSC, but since the question is posed... I found it easy to get along with everyone I have met, for people who don't respect alternative lifestyles, it could be an adjustment. I love the diversity of people at UCSC. If you aren't ready to do a lot of work and study hard for big, meaningful exams, on a fast paced quarterly system (vs. semesters), then UCSC could be very difficult.

If you're looking for a place of high academic competition, where every student is going crazy about grades, where your SAT score is going to matter to your fellow freshman, where you have a study group every night, and where you risk getting your labs sabotaged, Santa Cruz is not for you. Santa Cruz is about learning and life experiences, not about grades and prestige. It used to not even use the letter grading system, and that is reflected in the current philosophy.

It always amazes me to find people can be unhappy here in Santa Cruz, but I suppose there are a few things missing. Santa Cruz is a really laid back town, but the neighbors and cops regulate pretty hard with big loud parties. So if you really like to party big, I do not suggest looking into UCSC. We have very few options for Greek life and there are rarely any large parties worth going to that don't get rolled. We just like to kick back and take it easy.

If a person hopes to find a University with a huge Greek-esque party scene, Santa Cruz is not the place to go. Yes, there is a minor Greek presence on different parts of campus, but for the most part, it is widely ignored by students on campus. Social life at Santa Cruz is aimed more so towards students who enjoy relaxing with their friends in small groups rather than being in mobs of people listening to loud music and dancing the night away.

The social interactions at UCSC are not like those of other major universities. Don't go to UCSC expecting to find fraternity and sorority parties. Don't go to UCSC expecting a student body that rallies behind their sports teams. Students tend to mingle with others in their major, and mostly through other extra-curricular activities. So don't go if you expect the school to give you a social circle, you make it yourself there.

They type of person that shouldn't attend this school is definitely a person who does not want to be educated. This school is way too expensive to just be messing around all the time, if you want to attend this school, or any university, you should be a person who is looking to get an education, not a person who is just looking to party all the time.