Conway, AR
University of Central Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Arkansas

Jacob

"Jacob, you are going to absolutely love college when you get there. You are just a senior right now, but be ready for the best times of your life. " If I could talk to my high school senior self, that is what I would say. Then, I would proceed to tell him, "Now, the transition you make from high school to college is about as big as when the first big step was made on the moon. It is going to be more difficult and challenging to make As and Bs in college courses. So, do not set your standards to above and beyond one hundred percent (bonus) cause that is just not happening in college. " "Oh, and another thing about college, it is seriously expensive. You are going to be told on the night of your graduation that you received $40,000 to attend UCA, but in reality, that was just an estimate. You are really going to be only receiving $10,000 to attend UCA, so be warned. Other than that, college life is so amazing! The faculty you will have are great! The residents and friends are wonderful! You'll get used to it! Good luck!

The best thing about my school at this moment is the simple fact that, no matter what the issue is, you can walk down the hall from your dorm and there is going to be at least three other people that are experiencing the exact same issue. Similarly, I love it that anyone on campus is willing to help you out with whatever you need help with; sometimes people will just stand up and offer you help instead of actually waiting for you to ask them for it. It made surviving my first year in college so much easier!

I wish I had known just how hard the transition from high school life to college life was going to be. I still catch myself thinking like high school student and it irks me sometimes because it is time to grow up and get on with a college life. Also, it would have been nice to know that some programs that you participated in high school (JROTC, for example) were not going to be just as easy to get into at college. I was in JROTC for four years and I don't qualify for it in college.

I am a freshman this year, and I have been here a little over a month, and I can say that so far it is a great school! Everyone is super nice, the campus always looks amazing and is easy to get around. The school feels very safe, and it's just a great environment to go to school in!

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The hot-button issues on the campus at UCA are like most colleges and universities. Stuff like politics, health care, Occupy movements, Kony. The normal stuff. A lot of things go on at the chapel steps. I remember one time on the way to class this group of people sat there and lectured like everyone about how they were going to hell because of all these things. That caused quite a stir with the student population for hours! It was weird to see it on the way to class, then get out of class and it still be happening.

I think the biggest stereotype of students at my school is that we are party a lot.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Finding your niche on campus is probably the hardest thing about freshman year. If you are like me and going to a college where you knew basically no one it is definitely hard. Luckily I have found a ton of people that I love dearly, and I found activities on campus that I love. Obviously it took a while, and it was hard because I came from a small school and i knew everyone in my grade and basically school for the most part. In high school it was easy to find activities to do, but in college it's a different ball game. I would say that finding my group of friends and the activities I wanted to join was the hardest part of my freshman year.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

It depends on the person. I phone home every once and a while, although I wish I did more. It just depends on the person. I know my roommate phones home most days. You can do that if you wish. Once you get to college you can decide how much you wish to phone home. When I first started college I had frequent phone calls home and a lot of skype conversations. After a while though I found my own and realized I didn't need to call home as much as I thought I'd have to. I also thought I'd phone home everyday but college makes you busy. Call home as much as you feel comfortable, and don't be afraid to adjust how much you call home as you get more into college.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Not really. But it also depends on how sociable you are. Most people aren't going to be drinking at the parties on campus (though some people practice pre-gaming) because UCAPD is really strict about alcohol in on campus parties. So if you are at least a little sociable you shouldn't have a hard time at parties because most of them don't offer alcohol.

It's not as hard as it seems. I think one of my major worries was that coming from a smaller school it'd be harder for me to make good grades. My first semester I managed a 3.4 and I had a lot of experiences and had a lot of fun. Now I am in a sorority and I am still managing good grades. It really doesn't matter what school you came from, you can still do well in college. I think the summer before UCA would have been a lot more carefree if I'd known this.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

So far the day on campus that I will never forget is my first Bid Night for Panhellenic Sororities here on campus. When I got my bid, it was pretty awesome, but the real unforgettable things was how loud that night was! You could hear screaming from basically every part of campus I am sure. People were screaming, running, crying, it was just an amazing emotional experience. I am so glad I got to go through that. It was the day (or night) on campus that I'll never forget!

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

I think the best part of the social scene on campus is that there are a vairety of activities that you can do. There are so many ways to get socially involved on campus. Everything isn't for everyone, so many clubs put on things so you can get socially involved, you can go to a greek sponsored party, or go to a show put on by the Theatre department, if you like sports you can get socially involved by cheering on the Bears or Sugar Bears. It just depends on what you want to do. I am not really sure what the worst parts of the social scene are. It really just depends on you, you have to be willing to go out and go to these events. Most events are advertised or you may hear about them from friends. If you are shy it might be hard to start getting involved. Just meet a few people at a time and soon you will be way socially involved!

What are the most popular classes offered?

I think one of the most popular classes offered is the Descriptive Astronomy. It seems like the class fills up extremely quickly whenever I try to take it. I'm not really an expert on popular classes, but other pretty popular classes are Film Appreciation, it filled up pretty quickly (but that might be because it is one of the better art appreciation classes you can take a UCA.). Those are a couple of really popular classes, but I am sure there are more, and it also depends on what you chose to major in!

I guess the biggest thing any freshman at my school should know before they start is that the campus is not as big as it seems at first. If you are like me, and possibly come from a small school in the middle of nowhere, when you first visit UCA the campus can feel daunting...but trust me navigating the UCA campus will become a cakewalk! Also if you go on a tour, or go during the warmer months, you will not do all that walking in a short amount of time on a regular basis. When I visited UCA it was in September, and it was a hot day, when I came back to register during the summer it was also hot. Don't let the heat of your visit fool you, the possibility of you doing that much walking and/or sweating is slim to none. Also other things Freshman will want to know is their living arrangements, and what building their classes are in. Simple stuff like that is very important to know. Just make sure all your financial aid, housing, etc stuff is all worked out before you get there or within Welcome Week.

Tell us about your professors.

So far I've had 5 professors and I have liked (even loved) them all. They have challenged me to be a better writer, reader, learner, and everything in between. I could say that I was lucky to have really good professors, because I am sure there are some out there that aren't so good. I was one of the lucky ones I suppose, but all my professors were nice and accessible during their office hours. You could tell that all my professors liked their jobs, and liked their subjects. I had really amazing professors the first semester of my freshman year!

University of Central Arkansas is the most unique, I think, because of the family atmosphere around campus. I always seem to see someone I know around campus even though we have thousands of students. Everyone is always really friendly and helpful, and I think that is a unique thing about UCA.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

University of Central Arkansas is an amazing public four year university located in the middle of Arkansas. UCA is in a nice suburban city, and has a big campus that still feels small. The classes at UCA are quite small with no class usually filling over a 100 or so (and those classes are usually Science classes.) UCA feels like a family, you'll never be short of a nice person. There are so many things to do on the UCA campus and in and around Conway that you will never be bored!

What's the Greek scene like?

If going Greek is one of the things you want to do, UCA has them for you! The Greek scene is very apparent on campus. UCA has an Interfraternity Council, Independent Greek Council, Panhellenic Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council on campus. They offer a total of 11 fraternities and 9 sororities. You will undoubtedly find something for you in the wide variety of choices offered. Not only are the members of these groups active in their fraternities and sororities, but Greek members also play huge roles in other groups on campus. The way that going Greek works at UCA is that they do deferred recruitment: meaning UCA gives you the opportunity to do a semester of college before you actually go through formal recruitment in the spring. This gives you a chance to get acquainted with college and get a strong academic base down before you go through recruitment. Because of this to go Greek you have to have 12 hours not including transitional classes to go through recruitment and at least a 2.3. Also because of this, you have the chance to get to know the fraternities and sororities through meet and greets held all through the fall semester.

When you step off campus what do you see?

UCA is set in a suburban setting, which is good. There are tons of things to do in Conway, but you can find even more in Little Rock which is a short 30 minute drive away. Conway is really nice and pretty. Conway itself is very young, but also older. I say this because it is sort of a college town considering there are three colleges in the area, but it is also an amazing town to settle down in and raise a family. I think it kind of has the best of both worlds. When I go out with my friends we typically watch movies, go out to eat, or shop around. If you are looking for a nice laid back town to go to school in Conway definitely has it for you, when I step off campus I see an amazing city filled with fun stuff to do.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done on campus is probably the library (when it's not finals week) They have a ton of spaces to study, including big tables, study rooms, and cubicles. They also have tons of computers and access to printing there. During finals week you might just want to stay in your dorm because most people will be gone to the library any way so it won't be that loud. Plus during finals week they have 23 hour quiet hours in the dorms so they shouldn't be loud, and if they are you can just talk to or report whoever is loud.

Describe a typical weekend.

On a typical weekend, there isn't a ton of stuff to do on campus. There may be a few parties or sporting events to go to though. Especially during football season (tailgating anyone?) It depends on what you like to do though, because there are quite a few things to do in Conway and the surrounding area. I usually chill out on the weekends and go out more during the week days which is kind of backwards. When I do go out I like to go to movies, out to eat, or go shopping some place. There are tons of things to do in central arkansas, you won't get bored!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have a lot of really awesome teams here particularly football and women's basketball. We also have really good men's basketball and women's volleyball teams. We have really great sports facilities like our new purple and grey field in Estes Stadium, and a really nice court in the Farris Center. Everyone seems to be really supportive of our teams especially the Football team. It is always really awesome to go to games and show my bear pride!

I really love UCA. There are a lot of amazing people on campus, and if you are looking for a great four year public university you should consider applying to UCA. It's a great place for education, I feel challenged in all of my classes. I really like going to UCA.

Describe the dorms.

I am living in a residence hall, the only all girl freshman res hall. It's okay. I have enough space for the moment. The biggest res halls on campus are Bernard...but if you are a girl be wary because they don't have much space to put things, and plus a lot of people want Bernard and even if you submit your application early and it's your first choice you still may not get Bernard.

Whenever I walk around campus I can't help but notice how pretty it is. We have huge pretty brick buildings with nice columns, lots of well taken care of plants around, and nice places to hang out like the fountain. I like the way the classes are generally in one area, and res halls in another--with a few exceptions. It makes walking around and enjoying the atmosphere easier.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The first major reason I wanted to go here was because I liked the town of Conway (aka the town of colleges!) I toured campus in my Senior year during a Bear Facts Day and it sealed my love for the school. It's a huge campus, but I always find someone I know when walking to class. UCA is an amazing school, and I am so glad I made the choice.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are tons of dining options here on campus! Obviously there is the Christian Cafeteria, but there is also a whole lot of places to eat in the Student Center, a fully functioning Starbucks in the library, and a Java City in the business building (although I haven't checked out Java City yet). A little secret is that the best dining in the cafeteria is on the sidelines, we have a pasta and stir fry line where you can get your own individual pasta or stir fry dish, a sandwich and soup line, ice cream line, salad line, and and omelet line. There are a host of different places to eat in the Student Center including a new Einstein Brothers Bagels and a Chick-Fil-A! Plus if you ever get tired of eating on campus there are a lot of great restaurants a short drive away in Conway!

What do students complain about most?

If you can get past the fact that parking at UCA is horrid, you can get past the only really bad thing about UCA. It is a wonderful campus, and if you just ride a bike or walk around (which is very doable) then you are okay. Finding parking though, I'll admit, is a pain.

What are your classes like?

I enjoy all of my classes, the professors are really nice and make the classes interesting and you can tell they really like their subjects. I love going to all of my classes, and don't ever feel like skipping because of my classes--maybe because of the fact that I am tired but that's it. :)

The most popular student activities are Bear Den and Student Activities Board in my opinion. Athletic Events are really popular especially Football--you can tell this because of a little thing called the Bear's Den, which is like a little cheer group of students on campus! It is awesome. It is one of the most signed up for activities on campus. I also say SAB because they bring a lot of awesome things to campus such as movies, musicians, and comedians.

You will meet a ton of different people here at UCA! I love to meet new people so if you do you will see a lot of different people of different states, countries, races, religions, likes/dislikes. You will see people who believe things different from you, but that is with any college. A lot of students are from Arkansas, but we have students from all over the US and in different countries here. Most students were comfortable clothes to class (although I am usually a little dressy-casual) Most students just wear whatever makes them happy that day.

This year I am taking Intro to College Writing, College Algebra, Elementary Spanish I, Intro to Sociology, and World History I; and in all of my classes I am being challenged everyday, but I really like all of my professors. The biggest class I have is World History I which is 70, but it is an abnormally large History class--even for intro classes. I am learning new things everyday in class, and I definitely study a lot more in College than I did in High school; but academics are great at UCA.

I mean, there are parties and I've seen them advertised, but UCA isn't really a party school. Most of the kids in Conway go to Hendrix to party not UCA. And in my opinion a party school is only a party school if you make it that way.

Rhiannon

Dear past self, This year you start college, and with it a new chapter in your life. It is an exciting time, and do not take a single moment of it for granted. I implore you to soak up every morsel of knowledge that a professor or fellow student throws your way, but do not be fooled by fancy degrees or a confident air; people are imperfect. Research what you are learning, and confirm its validity. The effect will be two fold; you will have a greater understanding of the subject and thus be better prepared, and you can know for certainty whether or not the information you are recieving is to be trusted. Information recieved will inevitably been doled out again, and it would be disasterous to lead others astray. Also, participate in more than classes. Get out of your own head, and engage with other students and professors. Many great minds, sensibilities, and personalities saturate UCA's campus. It can only be to your advantage to mingle your own with them. But most of all, do not forget to have fun. Academics is most important, but don't let the rest of the college experience pass you by.

I wish that I would have known not to be solely focused on the details of my school work EVERY hour of EVERY day. Though my work load has increased and I still maintain my GPA, I have managed to be more relaxed, sleep more soundly, and be overall more content in my second year at the university. A valuable skill for any new college student is to learn to put down their school worries when appropriate and leave them there to be picked back up when prudent. Quality of life is increased as one puts their mind at ease.

The worst, and perhaps best thing, about UCA is probably the emphasis on fraternity and sorority life. There is little to do for those of us who choose not to be invovled in those kind of social clubs. The strong emphasis and prospering greek life is really great, and, from what I can tell, a great way for those with the fiscal resources to reach out and meet new people. However, this leaves the rest of the student population without many choices to expand their social circles, form study groups, and create meaningful connections with one another.

Katelyn

College is hard work. In high school, I just kind of floated by. This is the real world and you have to work hard. The past couple of years have been hard for me because I haven't worked as hard as I can/should. I got slapped in the face recently with the fact that if I don't start stepping it up, my future career will not exist. Don't think college is all fun and games. While you can still have fun, you have to set your priorites straight and stick with them.

Someone who doesn't like working hard. This is not a school where you can just do the minimum to get by. You have to actually work, attend class, and study. Something I am still learning how to do. This can be a challenging place academically but because of that, it has made me a better student.

Jaime

The best advice I would give myself is to listen to your mentors. The month I graduated from high school, I got a job in a hospital. My emergency department manager encouraged me to get on the waiting list for the nursing program. I was young and nieve and did not want anything to do with nursing, I wanted to become a paramedic. Not listening to her, I continued on and got my paramedic license. I've been a paramedic for 13 years and have not enjoyed one day of it. It was truly not the field for me. I just spent the last five years, going to school part-time trying to get pre-requisites for a nursing program. I completed everything this last spring and went and talked to the academic advisor, only to be disappointed that they changed the program requirements and I was told I would need to complete three more pre-requisites. Frustrated, I gave up. I was tired of the politics and competition trying to get a spot in the nursing program and changed my major. To this day, I wish I would have taken my mangers advice, and tried for nursing in 1994.

Make sure you meet all deadlines and keep up with turning things in to colleges. You want to have to the best opportunity to be accepted and to go to your choice college. Also, don't worry about making new friends. You're going to find two amazing people to hang around with, and they will be your best friends. It doesn't necessarily get easier or less busy, but you do have more freedom.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prioritize my needs and wants more wisely. When I was in high school, I was sure that college would be nothing but a bigger school with more people. I soon figured out that I was surely wrong. Going to college is usually a "make it" or "break it" for students and if a person is not careful, it is very like to associate with the wrong crowd, forget about studying and eventually flunking out.

One thing that I would consider being the worst thing about my school is the social parties (although they are not affiliated with the campus itself) many people choose to not go to the University of Central Arkansas because they think of it as a party school. In actuality, the University of Central Arkansas is not a party school, it is all about the people and who they choose to associate with.

One thing that I brag about most when I tell my friends about my school is the professors and instructors. Unlike, many other colleges that I have heard about in Arkansas, the University of Central Arkansas is a college that is focused on two things, education and succeeding in life.

Courtney

UCA is a big campus and was made for people to commute on foot, meaning the parking lots are on the edges of campus. It has a great community feel but if you want convenience you won't find it in our parking lots. It has become very apparent to me that finding a parking spot is a big part of my day.This is a great college town so i love to get out and explore but coming back and having to search multiple parking lots just so you can go to your room can be exhausting. If you wanna come here get used to walking, but in my opinion it is worth it! The perks of UCA is that it is on the outskirts of Conway, Walmart is nearby, there are many places to eat on campus, and everyone here shows their bear pride, DO IT LIKE A BIG BEAR: GRRRRR

This Campus is truly beautiful. There are so many people on campus to take care of the buildings, plants, holiday decoration, and much more. When i first got here all the plants were so alive and the tall brick buildings are well kept and have large columns. We have a fountain that provides a nice place to study and a key role in Christmas decorations. During the holiday season it is lit with purple and white Christmas lights. The landscaping is beautiful with many types of flowers, grasses, and trees. When walking through campus it almost feels like your at a park. There is always wildlife on campus, I probably see at least one squirrel everyday, and some days i see many. This campus is well established and I love that even though it's in a large urban area it still has a rural feel to it!

Describe the dorms.

Living on campus is a great experience because of the social atmosphere, but the facilities are not five star. I live in Carmichael, an all girls dorm, so there is a lot of drama. But the worst part is the community bathrooms, some girls are really gross and keep the bathrooms disgustingly dirty, the maid that cleans it everyday is off on the weekends so the bathroom becomes a pig sty! Last year a girl in this building had a miscarriage and left it in the toilet and on the bathroom floor for someone else to find. The rooms are pretty small but you have the option to bunk beds giving you much more room. When choosing an apartment know that off campus apartments can sometimes be cheaper than "on campus" apartments and be the same distance from the main campus, the main difference is UCA's ownership of the apartments and the transportation to main campus is through shuttle for apartments such as Bear Village.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes have over 70 students, coming from a high school with 52 in our graduating class this was definitely a change. I'm taking General Education classes right now so i expect for my classes to decrease in size by junior year. My biology class has over 150 in a large lecture hall. With a class of that size it can be hard to concentrate so try to get a seat in the first three rows, because after that you lose focus and it's hard to hear most professors. Also there is a no attendance policy in most Gen Ed courses, but try to attend as many lectures as possible it will help your grade tremendously!

A lot of the students here are laid back, especially at 9 am! This campus has few problems based on race, ethnicity, religiosity, or sexual orientation. It seems that anyone from any background would fit in at UCA, our campus is like a huge melting pot. Most students do wear jeans and t-shirts, but there are a few who choose more comfort and wear PJ's or leggings and no one really comments on it as long as its not to scandalous. Almost anyone can be approached here and for my first three weeks of school I literally just sat down with strangers and had a conversation. This is the most expensive public University in Arkansas based on tuition so you need to be rich or on scholarship! There are many groups to join to be active in the community or with political affiliations. For instance there is the Young Democrats who meet around once a month. Many people are enthusiastic about their majors but few brag too much about how much better their major is than yours. Everyone is willing to tell you about their major if you need some help deciding on a career.

UCA is pretty challenging and a little overwhelming at first, but there are many people here to help. Every Professor I've had has been more than happy to help me understand their subject. There are also many opportunities for study sessions, and tutoring (which you have already paid for with tuition). A few of my classes have over 100 students but it seems like the professors remember you anyways, it's hard to learn everyone's name so i don't blame them, but they always try! If you plan to take Psychology I would recommend Dr. Brinegar. She has an interesting teaching method, that never bores me! There is a lot of competition here mainly because of the prestigious programs offered at this University, for instance my current department is Occupational Therapy, meaning you need good grades to get into the masters program. I like that this school gives you space to make errors but encourages your best outcomes.

There is a huge stereotype that UCA is a party school! The only parties here that are worth going to are parties at Hendrix College. UCA is more about academics than most people believe. There are many amazing Sororities and Fraternities here but their parties aren't exactly for those who just want to "have a good time" at college, UCA is a lot of fun don't get me wrong but if you want in just because of the fun you think you can have UCA may not be the school for you!

I would tell myself that college is very different from high school so I should let go and open up more. I was not the most popular kid in high school and I let that hold me back when I got to college, but I've come to realize none of that matters here. I can loosen up. People are a lot less judgmental and you have the freedom to experiment and be yourself. I would tell myself not to pick a major like math or business just because you feel that is what is expected. I can just do what I love (art/theatre) and my friends and professors will support me. I know that now and I wish I had known it freshman year instead of wasting my first year and a half doing something I hated.

For my major, it was difficult for me to find out the exact requirements. It wasn't clear from the online degree requirements page, what was needed for a B.F.A. as oppossed to a B.A. and the confusion made it hard to plan my semester schedules accordingly. I am further behind in my program than I would have been if the online resources had been clearer.

The program my major in is tailored to give students the experience they need to help them succeed. There is a sophomore major advancement interview to weed out the students that don't care or don't have what it takes and an intership is required for my degree. It's a good program.

University of Central Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.