Conway, AR
University of Central Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Arkansas

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to prioritize my needs and wants more wisely. When I was in high school, I was sure that college would be nothing but a bigger school with more people. I soon figured out that I was surely wrong. Going to college is usually a "make it" or "break it" for students and if a person is not careful, it is very like to associate with the wrong crowd, forget about studying and eventually flunking out.

One thing that I would consider being the worst thing about my school is the social parties (although they are not affiliated with the campus itself) many people choose to not go to the University of Central Arkansas because they think of it as a party school. In actuality, the University of Central Arkansas is not a party school, it is all about the people and who they choose to associate with.

One thing that I brag about most when I tell my friends about my school is the professors and instructors. Unlike, many other colleges that I have heard about in Arkansas, the University of Central Arkansas is a college that is focused on two things, education and succeeding in life.

Courtney

UCA is a big campus and was made for people to commute on foot, meaning the parking lots are on the edges of campus. It has a great community feel but if you want convenience you won't find it in our parking lots. It has become very apparent to me that finding a parking spot is a big part of my day.This is a great college town so i love to get out and explore but coming back and having to search multiple parking lots just so you can go to your room can be exhausting. If you wanna come here get used to walking, but in my opinion it is worth it! The perks of UCA is that it is on the outskirts of Conway, Walmart is nearby, there are many places to eat on campus, and everyone here shows their bear pride, DO IT LIKE A BIG BEAR: GRRRRR

This Campus is truly beautiful. There are so many people on campus to take care of the buildings, plants, holiday decoration, and much more. When i first got here all the plants were so alive and the tall brick buildings are well kept and have large columns. We have a fountain that provides a nice place to study and a key role in Christmas decorations. During the holiday season it is lit with purple and white Christmas lights. The landscaping is beautiful with many types of flowers, grasses, and trees. When walking through campus it almost feels like your at a park. There is always wildlife on campus, I probably see at least one squirrel everyday, and some days i see many. This campus is well established and I love that even though it's in a large urban area it still has a rural feel to it!

Describe the dorms.

Living on campus is a great experience because of the social atmosphere, but the facilities are not five star. I live in Carmichael, an all girls dorm, so there is a lot of drama. But the worst part is the community bathrooms, some girls are really gross and keep the bathrooms disgustingly dirty, the maid that cleans it everyday is off on the weekends so the bathroom becomes a pig sty! Last year a girl in this building had a miscarriage and left it in the toilet and on the bathroom floor for someone else to find. The rooms are pretty small but you have the option to bunk beds giving you much more room. When choosing an apartment know that off campus apartments can sometimes be cheaper than "on campus" apartments and be the same distance from the main campus, the main difference is UCA's ownership of the apartments and the transportation to main campus is through shuttle for apartments such as Bear Village.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes have over 70 students, coming from a high school with 52 in our graduating class this was definitely a change. I'm taking General Education classes right now so i expect for my classes to decrease in size by junior year. My biology class has over 150 in a large lecture hall. With a class of that size it can be hard to concentrate so try to get a seat in the first three rows, because after that you lose focus and it's hard to hear most professors. Also there is a no attendance policy in most Gen Ed courses, but try to attend as many lectures as possible it will help your grade tremendously!

A lot of the students here are laid back, especially at 9 am! This campus has few problems based on race, ethnicity, religiosity, or sexual orientation. It seems that anyone from any background would fit in at UCA, our campus is like a huge melting pot. Most students do wear jeans and t-shirts, but there are a few who choose more comfort and wear PJ's or leggings and no one really comments on it as long as its not to scandalous. Almost anyone can be approached here and for my first three weeks of school I literally just sat down with strangers and had a conversation. This is the most expensive public University in Arkansas based on tuition so you need to be rich or on scholarship! There are many groups to join to be active in the community or with political affiliations. For instance there is the Young Democrats who meet around once a month. Many people are enthusiastic about their majors but few brag too much about how much better their major is than yours. Everyone is willing to tell you about their major if you need some help deciding on a career.

UCA is pretty challenging and a little overwhelming at first, but there are many people here to help. Every Professor I've had has been more than happy to help me understand their subject. There are also many opportunities for study sessions, and tutoring (which you have already paid for with tuition). A few of my classes have over 100 students but it seems like the professors remember you anyways, it's hard to learn everyone's name so i don't blame them, but they always try! If you plan to take Psychology I would recommend Dr. Brinegar. She has an interesting teaching method, that never bores me! There is a lot of competition here mainly because of the prestigious programs offered at this University, for instance my current department is Occupational Therapy, meaning you need good grades to get into the masters program. I like that this school gives you space to make errors but encourages your best outcomes.

There is a huge stereotype that UCA is a party school! The only parties here that are worth going to are parties at Hendrix College. UCA is more about academics than most people believe. There are many amazing Sororities and Fraternities here but their parties aren't exactly for those who just want to "have a good time" at college, UCA is a lot of fun don't get me wrong but if you want in just because of the fun you think you can have UCA may not be the school for you!

I would tell myself that college is very different from high school so I should let go and open up more. I was not the most popular kid in high school and I let that hold me back when I got to college, but I've come to realize none of that matters here. I can loosen up. People are a lot less judgmental and you have the freedom to experiment and be yourself. I would tell myself not to pick a major like math or business just because you feel that is what is expected. I can just do what I love (art/theatre) and my friends and professors will support me. I know that now and I wish I had known it freshman year instead of wasting my first year and a half doing something I hated.

For my major, it was difficult for me to find out the exact requirements. It wasn't clear from the online degree requirements page, what was needed for a B.F.A. as oppossed to a B.A. and the confusion made it hard to plan my semester schedules accordingly. I am further behind in my program than I would have been if the online resources had been clearer.

The program my major in is tailored to give students the experience they need to help them succeed. There is a sophomore major advancement interview to weed out the students that don't care or don't have what it takes and an intership is required for my degree. It's a good program.

Latoya

If I were to back in time, and be able to talk to myself; the advice I would suggest: 1st.--Don't be hesitant in wanting things. Be bold and take charge, accept the skills, and talents you have within yourself in the career you know you have the desire for. 2nd--Contine to be fair and just; give a helping hand here and there to those whom in need, because you never know when its your turn to receive the blessings from another "Pay it Forward". 3rd--Keep truth and honest to yourself, stay away from the bad and runaway from the evil, but stay very close to the good...What an advice I would give myself, if I would be able to travel back in time.....

I would give myself the following advice - Show up at 8:00 a.m. at the latest for parking if you have a morning class. Around 12 for an afternoon class. - Keep a copy of your schedule in the car, backpack, and at home along with a campus map. - Unless you've won the lottery, pack a lunch, because school food is expensive. - Coffee is man's best friend, not dogs. - Don't worry if your present friends decide they hate you for going to school. College is a place for new friends. - Stay on birth control pills

The worst thing about the school is that when the college email goes down for students, faculty can still check their email and post things. Since the faculty member could access the website, but the student could not, it creates tension about assignments.

Anybody could attend this school. There are students from all over the world as well as local students, and everyone tends to get along fine. The campus is safe and friendly for its students, and the faculty are always very helpful.

Mara

What do you really want in life? What can you see yourself doing as a career choice? This is something that I'm still struggling with today. Sit down and think deeply about what you want to do after college. Once you found that resolution, keep it and never let go. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't do what you love. Going back in time, I would tell myself these wise words. I would also advise myself to branch out of my comfort zone. Meet more people, go places, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's going to happen regardless of how much you try to be the "perfect student". Making good grades and a good impression on professors is very important, but don't forget to have fun too. Find the balance between the social life and academic success. Learn to communicate with both students and professors, because you can learn a lot from them even outside of the classroom. People struggle with different aspects of college life, but this is advice that I wish I had received in high school.

I wish I had known more people before coming to this school. While the community at UCA is very friendly and helpful, people still tend to stay in their own groups. It's easy to make friends at first, but when you try to branch out it proves to be a little more difficult, because everyone already has their own friends that they hang out with. Meeting new people is easy, but becoming friends with them is another situation entirely.

When you want to get into a club, it's difficult to get in touch with the right person. A lot of times the administration doesn't even know who is over what club or any information about it. (i.e. where they meet, what time, what days, etc.) I would appreciate a list of clubs, because many of the student run organizations are not mentioned anywhere and they're basically promoted by word of mouth. I know there are several clubs you can join; you just have to find them.

Alicia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be concerned with what other people think of me. Do not be afraid to show your intelligence. Asking questions is always beneficial and will help you to feel more confident when you make the transition from high school to college. Perseverance is important when you are finishing your last few months of high school. When you feel like giving up imagine the liberty you will eventually have at college, getting to study the subjects you love and pursuing your future career. At fist, it may seem relieving not to attend the same class everyday, buy do not slack off on your studies. There are many ways to gain insight and knowledge; you will be surprised to know all of the exciting new things you will come across when you put all your effort into studying.

Brandi

My college experience has taught me that hard work is imperitive for success. Moving out of the house, away from my parents, I had complete freedom to do whatever I chose. Luckily, I knew that if I wanted to get a good education, and hopefully a good job in the future, I needed to focus on my education. I have worked extremely hard to stay on top of my classwork, and it paid off when I got a 4.0 last semester. College really teaches you how the real world works - it is all up to you. If you want to put in the work, you will get the results that you want. However, if you decide to take your education lightly and blow off your classes and work, then you will have to face the consequences in the long run. College has trained me to be the type of person who succeeds. I know that my work ethic and determination that I have gained in my first year of college will allow me to become the person that I want to become when I graduate.

Someone who does not have school spirit, and does not like to be involved in campus activities shouldn't attend UCA. The school is centered around participation and school spirit, and the people who do not enjoy that type of activity will probably not be very involved students.

I love the feeling of home that I get when I am here. The staff and faculty are extremely welcoming and kind. Everyone treats you like they have known you for years, and they make sure to make you feel right at home.

University of Central Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.