Conway, AR
University of Central Arkansas

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Arkansas

Kahlon

The way the campus is designed and the buildings that make it what it is.

The way the campus is designed and the buildings that make it what it is.

I would tell myself to start looking for scholarships ASAP and find someone who is looking for the same things in life that I am that is willing to help. I would also tell myself to find a group of people to sociate with that are helpful and are serious about achieving their goals and making their dreams a reality. I would tell my senior self to develop better study habits and even encourage myself to sit on the first row in class so I know I am taking quality notes and that I am understanding what the teacher is teaching us. I would also tell myself not to worry as much because college is not so different as high school and my senior self would eventually see why I told him that.

That it was going to be hard to find scholarships to pay for my schooling.

Sara

Perhaps the new purple and gray field over the football field? Not exactly economically smart, I would say.

Take the concurent classes. Breathe--you'll make it through. It helps you insanely when you are applying for schools and increases your GPA like you won't believe.

The feeling that there is too much to be dont beofre the end of the semester--a (good) paper per semester is one thing. Five per semester is completely different, especially when nearly each is completed with a different page requirement between 4 and 25 pages.

Kenya

My school has several aspects that make it a popular choice among Arkansas students, as well as those out-of-state and abroad. It has one of the leading southern U.S. medical programs. It is the only university in the state that offers Linguistics as a major. Its sports teams are well-trained and highly competitive. The buildings are often renovated to enable more room for prospective students. Nearly every other year there is a new area of study being added. Just last semester a committee was established to create a TESOL minor and Korean as a language option.

Don't rush the decision, but don't overthink it either. That's the first thing I would tell my senior self. There are hundreds of colleges and universities in the U.S. alone, and all of them are excellent institutions in their own ways. Find the one that really stands out to you, the one in which you immediately imagine already walking and living on that campus, knowing you truly belong and that it's meant to be. It's okay to be indecisive about the process, and it's okay to change your mind as soon as you arrive on campus, or even in the middle of your college career. The cool thing about colleges is that you never have to worry about finding a place for yourself. Colleges are so diverse and welcoming these days, that it's always possible to march to the own beat of your drum, and people will understand what you're about. When you go to college, it's like having a miniature version of the world at your disposal, in every fathomable way. Take advantage of this every single moment! I guarantee it will be an experience worth the money.

The University of Central Arkansas is a multicultural splash of diversity in a quaint but modern Arkansan city, a place of comfort where you are still taught the importance of getting out of your comfort zone, one of the few quality Arkansas universities that offers a variety of programs, an open-minded, innovative stronghold that always seeks for improvement for the sake of its students, a community that challenges, nurtures, prepares, entertains, and teaches all at once.

Twighla

There are all age ranges, sexes, and diverse groups of religious orrientation and culture.

I was such a dummy back then. I didn’t pay close enough attention in class, understand the importantance of a good education, and I didn’t have the desire to finish college. In thinking back as to high school, here are a few words of advice about starting school and finishing. Pay close attention. The basics are what carry you through school. Dig deep down within yourself to find the want and desire to have an education behind you. Your education is the root system of your life; it provides the strength to overcome adversity. You are a true individual when you strive towards your goals and you are no longer just a follower. If I had only realized back then how much my education would have been helpful now, I would have had a much easier time of it now. Being blind to the possibilities that would have been available to me, I am now struggling to complete my goal. I now know if we set our mind to the mission at hand and press forward, we can do anything, and that includes finishing our education at a higher level. Thanks high school self for listening

The worst thing about my school is that even though i love it's size, sometimes it's too big in the sense i don't always know about all the activities that are going on across campus that are free events set up for the students.

samantha

If I could tell my highschool self anything it would be, do not worry life and school get better. You will have to work harder, but it will be towards a life for your new baby girl and it will all be worth it. I would also like to say that the social life is better in college, there will be no more eating lunch and roaming around alone. Best of all, all of the stress you feel will all go away after you PASS each assignment.

I learned enough about it through the website and friends who have gone here, I was not blindsided by anything. I knew it would be hard and expensive, but a fun experience.

I always tell them how efficient their financial aid and teachers are. I also love the fun atmosphere and the variety of choices on campus from food to the classes.

Leanne

During my freshman year, the typical telephone conversation with my mother progressed in the following format:Me: "Hi, Mom (tears)"Mom: "Have you gotten enough sleep?"According to the National Sleep Foundation, 63% of college students do not receive enough sleep. Sleep deprivation has been linked to a variety of physical, mental, and emotional health problems including depression, weight gain, irritability, and headaches. Although the amount of sleep needed for every person is different, it has been found that students who sleep 7-8 hours receive higher GPA's, have fewer emotional/mental issues, and have better memory retention.Looking back at the times when I was confronted with a problem and felt anxious or overwhelmed, the best solution was always to go to bed and "sleep on it." The morning always seemed to bring a sense of calm and clarity to the situation, and I was able to rationally evaluate or creatively solve my predicament. If I could give one piece of advice, it is that a good night's rest is priceless.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of interdisciplinary interaction. I would love to see the different departments and "majors" at the university collaborating and working on projects together. Ideas should not be confined to a "building" or department, and I believe more sharing and interaction between disciplines could bring about great things for the university, community, and world.

The University of Central Arkansas is ideal for a student that wants a well-rounded education; in addition to the rigorous courses of one's major field, the university offers a thorough general education compenent. It offers the practical student a stimulating and engaging education for a great price.

Cameron

I would tell myself to get involved in the community more. Find something that interests you and stick with it the entire year. Community service teaches you time management, discipline, goal-setting, and the value of helping others. In high school, I have always been very studious in my academics, taking a bunch of honors and AP classes and graduating with an over-4.0 GPA. But I never knew the great importance of being a well-rounded person when it came to showing yourself off to the college admissions committees. I had the mindset that my relatively high grades would get me into my top-choice univeristy. Establishing yourself as a well-rounded person shouldn't just be about getting into a prestigious university, it should be about finding what you love to do. Get involved in community service, clubs, or sports because you want to, not because it looks fantastic on your college application. Your own initiation, not your thinking solely about whether you will impress an admissions officer, will translate into a passionate story that will be sure to make you stand out in the selection process. So do what you love, and have fun doing it.

DwaLisa

Dear Younger me, Your not ready. Listen to the adults around you because you don't know it all. Those who are trying to help you, LET THEM. The friends you think you have are most likely aren't going to be there at the end of your journey. When you start working towards your career they're only going to get in the way. Your so ready to get out the house and be on your own, trust me your only getting your feet wet you still need help getting on your feet before you're able to walk alone. The transition to college is a great experience but dont get caught up in the partylife it will still be there. You think you can handle the night/early mornings when it's time for the a.m. classes you're going to regret it. GO TO CLASS your going to look at those days they give you and your going to hit that limit faster than you think. All that I am saying is that college is the start of a wonderful journey don't mess it up before you even starts. Love, Future You.

I feel that the University of Central Arkansas is the place for anyone who is comfortable enough to call this place home. I will say it's nothing like you would ex[ect. I've have many good and bad times here on campus. The home of University of Central Arkansas is definitely what you make it.

The most frustrating thing about my school to me is that just trying to satify each instructor. They are all different but its also helpful in learning to work with different people.

Jacob

"Jacob, you are going to absolutely love college when you get there. You are just a senior right now, but be ready for the best times of your life. " If I could talk to my high school senior self, that is what I would say. Then, I would proceed to tell him, "Now, the transition you make from high school to college is about as big as when the first big step was made on the moon. It is going to be more difficult and challenging to make As and Bs in college courses. So, do not set your standards to above and beyond one hundred percent (bonus) cause that is just not happening in college. " "Oh, and another thing about college, it is seriously expensive. You are going to be told on the night of your graduation that you received $40,000 to attend UCA, but in reality, that was just an estimate. You are really going to be only receiving $10,000 to attend UCA, so be warned. Other than that, college life is so amazing! The faculty you will have are great! The residents and friends are wonderful! You'll get used to it! Good luck!

The best thing about my school at this moment is the simple fact that, no matter what the issue is, you can walk down the hall from your dorm and there is going to be at least three other people that are experiencing the exact same issue. Similarly, I love it that anyone on campus is willing to help you out with whatever you need help with; sometimes people will just stand up and offer you help instead of actually waiting for you to ask them for it. It made surviving my first year in college so much easier!

I wish I had known just how hard the transition from high school life to college life was going to be. I still catch myself thinking like high school student and it irks me sometimes because it is time to grow up and get on with a college life. Also, it would have been nice to know that some programs that you participated in high school (JROTC, for example) were not going to be just as easy to get into at college. I was in JROTC for four years and I don't qualify for it in college.

I am a freshman this year, and I have been here a little over a month, and I can say that so far it is a great school! Everyone is super nice, the campus always looks amazing and is easy to get around. The school feels very safe, and it's just a great environment to go to school in!

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The hot-button issues on the campus at UCA are like most colleges and universities. Stuff like politics, health care, Occupy movements, Kony. The normal stuff. A lot of things go on at the chapel steps. I remember one time on the way to class this group of people sat there and lectured like everyone about how they were going to hell because of all these things. That caused quite a stir with the student population for hours! It was weird to see it on the way to class, then get out of class and it still be happening.

I think the biggest stereotype of students at my school is that we are party a lot.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Finding your niche on campus is probably the hardest thing about freshman year. If you are like me and going to a college where you knew basically no one it is definitely hard. Luckily I have found a ton of people that I love dearly, and I found activities on campus that I love. Obviously it took a while, and it was hard because I came from a small school and i knew everyone in my grade and basically school for the most part. In high school it was easy to find activities to do, but in college it's a different ball game. I would say that finding my group of friends and the activities I wanted to join was the hardest part of my freshman year.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

It depends on the person. I phone home every once and a while, although I wish I did more. It just depends on the person. I know my roommate phones home most days. You can do that if you wish. Once you get to college you can decide how much you wish to phone home. When I first started college I had frequent phone calls home and a lot of skype conversations. After a while though I found my own and realized I didn't need to call home as much as I thought I'd have to. I also thought I'd phone home everyday but college makes you busy. Call home as much as you feel comfortable, and don't be afraid to adjust how much you call home as you get more into college.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Not really. But it also depends on how sociable you are. Most people aren't going to be drinking at the parties on campus (though some people practice pre-gaming) because UCAPD is really strict about alcohol in on campus parties. So if you are at least a little sociable you shouldn't have a hard time at parties because most of them don't offer alcohol.

It's not as hard as it seems. I think one of my major worries was that coming from a smaller school it'd be harder for me to make good grades. My first semester I managed a 3.4 and I had a lot of experiences and had a lot of fun. Now I am in a sorority and I am still managing good grades. It really doesn't matter what school you came from, you can still do well in college. I think the summer before UCA would have been a lot more carefree if I'd known this.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

So far the day on campus that I will never forget is my first Bid Night for Panhellenic Sororities here on campus. When I got my bid, it was pretty awesome, but the real unforgettable things was how loud that night was! You could hear screaming from basically every part of campus I am sure. People were screaming, running, crying, it was just an amazing emotional experience. I am so glad I got to go through that. It was the day (or night) on campus that I'll never forget!

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

I think the best part of the social scene on campus is that there are a vairety of activities that you can do. There are so many ways to get socially involved on campus. Everything isn't for everyone, so many clubs put on things so you can get socially involved, you can go to a greek sponsored party, or go to a show put on by the Theatre department, if you like sports you can get socially involved by cheering on the Bears or Sugar Bears. It just depends on what you want to do. I am not really sure what the worst parts of the social scene are. It really just depends on you, you have to be willing to go out and go to these events. Most events are advertised or you may hear about them from friends. If you are shy it might be hard to start getting involved. Just meet a few people at a time and soon you will be way socially involved!

What are the most popular classes offered?

I think one of the most popular classes offered is the Descriptive Astronomy. It seems like the class fills up extremely quickly whenever I try to take it. I'm not really an expert on popular classes, but other pretty popular classes are Film Appreciation, it filled up pretty quickly (but that might be because it is one of the better art appreciation classes you can take a UCA.). Those are a couple of really popular classes, but I am sure there are more, and it also depends on what you chose to major in!

I guess the biggest thing any freshman at my school should know before they start is that the campus is not as big as it seems at first. If you are like me, and possibly come from a small school in the middle of nowhere, when you first visit UCA the campus can feel daunting...but trust me navigating the UCA campus will become a cakewalk! Also if you go on a tour, or go during the warmer months, you will not do all that walking in a short amount of time on a regular basis. When I visited UCA it was in September, and it was a hot day, when I came back to register during the summer it was also hot. Don't let the heat of your visit fool you, the possibility of you doing that much walking and/or sweating is slim to none. Also other things Freshman will want to know is their living arrangements, and what building their classes are in. Simple stuff like that is very important to know. Just make sure all your financial aid, housing, etc stuff is all worked out before you get there or within Welcome Week.

Tell us about your professors.

So far I've had 5 professors and I have liked (even loved) them all. They have challenged me to be a better writer, reader, learner, and everything in between. I could say that I was lucky to have really good professors, because I am sure there are some out there that aren't so good. I was one of the lucky ones I suppose, but all my professors were nice and accessible during their office hours. You could tell that all my professors liked their jobs, and liked their subjects. I had really amazing professors the first semester of my freshman year!

University of Central Arkansas is the most unique, I think, because of the family atmosphere around campus. I always seem to see someone I know around campus even though we have thousands of students. Everyone is always really friendly and helpful, and I think that is a unique thing about UCA.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

University of Central Arkansas is an amazing public four year university located in the middle of Arkansas. UCA is in a nice suburban city, and has a big campus that still feels small. The classes at UCA are quite small with no class usually filling over a 100 or so (and those classes are usually Science classes.) UCA feels like a family, you'll never be short of a nice person. There are so many things to do on the UCA campus and in and around Conway that you will never be bored!

What's the Greek scene like?

If going Greek is one of the things you want to do, UCA has them for you! The Greek scene is very apparent on campus. UCA has an Interfraternity Council, Independent Greek Council, Panhellenic Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council on campus. They offer a total of 11 fraternities and 9 sororities. You will undoubtedly find something for you in the wide variety of choices offered. Not only are the members of these groups active in their fraternities and sororities, but Greek members also play huge roles in other groups on campus. The way that going Greek works at UCA is that they do deferred recruitment: meaning UCA gives you the opportunity to do a semester of college before you actually go through formal recruitment in the spring. This gives you a chance to get acquainted with college and get a strong academic base down before you go through recruitment. Because of this to go Greek you have to have 12 hours not including transitional classes to go through recruitment and at least a 2.3. Also because of this, you have the chance to get to know the fraternities and sororities through meet and greets held all through the fall semester.

When you step off campus what do you see?

UCA is set in a suburban setting, which is good. There are tons of things to do in Conway, but you can find even more in Little Rock which is a short 30 minute drive away. Conway is really nice and pretty. Conway itself is very young, but also older. I say this because it is sort of a college town considering there are three colleges in the area, but it is also an amazing town to settle down in and raise a family. I think it kind of has the best of both worlds. When I go out with my friends we typically watch movies, go out to eat, or shop around. If you are looking for a nice laid back town to go to school in Conway definitely has it for you, when I step off campus I see an amazing city filled with fun stuff to do.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done on campus is probably the library (when it's not finals week) They have a ton of spaces to study, including big tables, study rooms, and cubicles. They also have tons of computers and access to printing there. During finals week you might just want to stay in your dorm because most people will be gone to the library any way so it won't be that loud. Plus during finals week they have 23 hour quiet hours in the dorms so they shouldn't be loud, and if they are you can just talk to or report whoever is loud.

Describe a typical weekend.

On a typical weekend, there isn't a ton of stuff to do on campus. There may be a few parties or sporting events to go to though. Especially during football season (tailgating anyone?) It depends on what you like to do though, because there are quite a few things to do in Conway and the surrounding area. I usually chill out on the weekends and go out more during the week days which is kind of backwards. When I do go out I like to go to movies, out to eat, or go shopping some place. There are tons of things to do in central arkansas, you won't get bored!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have a lot of really awesome teams here particularly football and women's basketball. We also have really good men's basketball and women's volleyball teams. We have really great sports facilities like our new purple and grey field in Estes Stadium, and a really nice court in the Farris Center. Everyone seems to be really supportive of our teams especially the Football team. It is always really awesome to go to games and show my bear pride!

I really love UCA. There are a lot of amazing people on campus, and if you are looking for a great four year public university you should consider applying to UCA. It's a great place for education, I feel challenged in all of my classes. I really like going to UCA.

Describe the dorms.

I am living in a residence hall, the only all girl freshman res hall. It's okay. I have enough space for the moment. The biggest res halls on campus are Bernard...but if you are a girl be wary because they don't have much space to put things, and plus a lot of people want Bernard and even if you submit your application early and it's your first choice you still may not get Bernard.

Whenever I walk around campus I can't help but notice how pretty it is. We have huge pretty brick buildings with nice columns, lots of well taken care of plants around, and nice places to hang out like the fountain. I like the way the classes are generally in one area, and res halls in another--with a few exceptions. It makes walking around and enjoying the atmosphere easier.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The first major reason I wanted to go here was because I liked the town of Conway (aka the town of colleges!) I toured campus in my Senior year during a Bear Facts Day and it sealed my love for the school. It's a huge campus, but I always find someone I know when walking to class. UCA is an amazing school, and I am so glad I made the choice.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are tons of dining options here on campus! Obviously there is the Christian Cafeteria, but there is also a whole lot of places to eat in the Student Center, a fully functioning Starbucks in the library, and a Java City in the business building (although I haven't checked out Java City yet). A little secret is that the best dining in the cafeteria is on the sidelines, we have a pasta and stir fry line where you can get your own individual pasta or stir fry dish, a sandwich and soup line, ice cream line, salad line, and and omelet line. There are a host of different places to eat in the Student Center including a new Einstein Brothers Bagels and a Chick-Fil-A! Plus if you ever get tired of eating on campus there are a lot of great restaurants a short drive away in Conway!

What do students complain about most?

If you can get past the fact that parking at UCA is horrid, you can get past the only really bad thing about UCA. It is a wonderful campus, and if you just ride a bike or walk around (which is very doable) then you are okay. Finding parking though, I'll admit, is a pain.

What are your classes like?

I enjoy all of my classes, the professors are really nice and make the classes interesting and you can tell they really like their subjects. I love going to all of my classes, and don't ever feel like skipping because of my classes--maybe because of the fact that I am tired but that's it. :)

The most popular student activities are Bear Den and Student Activities Board in my opinion. Athletic Events are really popular especially Football--you can tell this because of a little thing called the Bear's Den, which is like a little cheer group of students on campus! It is awesome. It is one of the most signed up for activities on campus. I also say SAB because they bring a lot of awesome things to campus such as movies, musicians, and comedians.

You will meet a ton of different people here at UCA! I love to meet new people so if you do you will see a lot of different people of different states, countries, races, religions, likes/dislikes. You will see people who believe things different from you, but that is with any college. A lot of students are from Arkansas, but we have students from all over the US and in different countries here. Most students were comfortable clothes to class (although I am usually a little dressy-casual) Most students just wear whatever makes them happy that day.

This year I am taking Intro to College Writing, College Algebra, Elementary Spanish I, Intro to Sociology, and World History I; and in all of my classes I am being challenged everyday, but I really like all of my professors. The biggest class I have is World History I which is 70, but it is an abnormally large History class--even for intro classes. I am learning new things everyday in class, and I definitely study a lot more in College than I did in High school; but academics are great at UCA.

I mean, there are parties and I've seen them advertised, but UCA isn't really a party school. Most of the kids in Conway go to Hendrix to party not UCA. And in my opinion a party school is only a party school if you make it that way.

University of Central Arkansas administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.