University of Central Arkansas

« See more reviews of University of Central Arkansas

The worst, and perhaps best thing, about UCA is probably the emphasis on fraternity and sorority life. There is little to do for those of us who choose not to be invovled in those kind of social clubs. The strong emphasis and prospering greek life is really great, and, from what I can tell, a great way for those with the fiscal resources to reach out and meet new people. However, this leaves the rest of the student population without many choices to expand their social circles, form study groups, and create meaningful connections with one another.

The worst thing about UCA is that there are not enough resourses. As a result of bad management by our former president of the university, the classrooms struggle. In some of my classes the teachers require the students to print off their own handouts for the curriculum, this is a result of UCA's insufficient funds for paper. UCA also has metered parking, which I highly disagree with because there is not enough parking at the school for all the students anyways. These are all of my dislikes about UCA, overall I attend a very good university.

Overall the University of Central Arkansas is a great place to live and study. In my opinion there is really no bad thing about the college, but one of the few negatives is some of the rules the Housing department places upon students whos roommate moves out. I understand the reasoning behind some of the rules, but for example not being able to bunk the beds is an inconvience. In my situtation I would like to use the limited space in my drom room wisely and not being able to bunk the beds in a little annoying.

The only thing that I dont like that my school does is making you take courses all over again that you took in high school. Most of that stuff is fresh on my mind so why take it again in college. I know that University of Central Arkansas are not the only ones that have this but i believe that having to take these classes slows you down for what you are wanting to accomplish if your trying to get out of school on time or early. Maybe take some of the basics: biology, chemistry, and a math thats it.

There is honestly not very many bad things to say about UCA, but if i had to choose then parking would be the worst thing. For over 10,000 students there is very little parking on campus. Parking is not that bad if you live on campus, but for those who live off campus it is very hectic. Off campus students can only park in certain places which fill up very fast. Many students have to leave very early to find a parking spot and are often late to class because of this growing problem.

The only thing i can think of that I really don't like is that some of the technology seems to be lacking. For example, the computers in the library are very slow, and on most days there will be at least two of them not working. That gets pretty frustrating when you have a paper due and need to use the computers in the library to work on them. We also have an Academic Success Center, which is like a study hall, but the computers there are just as slow as the ones in the library.

When you want to get into a club, it's difficult to get in touch with the right person. A lot of times the administration doesn't even know who is over what club or any information about it. (i.e. where they meet, what time, what days, etc.) I would appreciate a list of clubs, because many of the student run organizations are not mentioned anywhere and they're basically promoted by word of mouth. I know there are several clubs you can join; you just have to find them.

University of Central Arkansa is an all around good school. This is my second semester and i have really enjoyed my experience here. We have awesome professors. They make you feel very comfortable in the class room and they also make sure they are always in their office to help in every possible way. The things i just hate are very minor. For example, the Residental dorm I live in fire alarms are very sensitive so they go off all times of the day and night.

The worst thing about my school, is that I have to have a certain ACT score to get the scholarship the school gives to students. You must have a 23 on the ACT, and a 3.2 cumulative G.P.A. I had a 21 on the ACT and a 3.6 cumulative G.P.A. The ACT score wasn't a good reflextion of my skills because I a m a poor test taker: I've taken five AP tests and failed all of them. The multiple choice part was difficult for me and I was good at writing.

The worst thing about UCA is that it is hard for students to get involved. There are plenty of opportunities, but they are not always advertised well and personally, there are still many organizations that I just do not know anything about! Living in the residential dorms and joining a sorority has helped me to become more involved. However, I think it is still somewhat difficult to become involved on campus, especially as a freshman.