Orlando, FL
University of Central Florida

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Florida

Fixed  rate loan

Jackie

UCF is growing really fast, and the school's doing its best to keep up. I've noticed the changes even after just two years of living here. The new stadium was a really big deal last year, and even people with no interest in football found themselves entering the lottery for free student tickets. Even with the growth, I like that nearly everything on campus is within walking distance. It's a nice setup for people who live on campus, but parking is always a huge problem, because most students have their own car that they drive to campus. No discussion of UCF can be complete without mentioning the fountain. It seems to be the unofficial symbol of UCF. High school kids see it on their college mail before they even know what UCF stands for. Anybody who drives a car or goes to the library passes it all the time. During Homecoming week, people swim in it. There's an annual symphony performance there, too. And it's just a nice place to lay on the grass and study (or nap).

People sometimes have problems getting all the specific credits they need to graduate with their major. There IS always construction. Constantly they're building more parking, more colleges, more housing, more little fast food places.

There's a nice little club on campus called the Fencing Knights, where you can learn how to swordfight the modern Olympic way. It's pretty fun and laid-back--although members attend tournaments around Florida, most of them aren't training year-round for Nationals in California. That's because the club is mainly for people who are learning about fencing for the first time, people who have had an interest in swords or fencing for a while but never had the opportunity to try it out. The coach has years of experience and volunteers his time with the club, organizing group lessons as well as lots of one-on-one instruction. It's harder than it looks: beginners get an unexpectedly intense workout, so attending the practices is a good way to avoid the famous "Freshman 15." New members often come in with their roommates or neighbors; trying out a unique sport such as fencing is a great way to meet new people (or at least impress your friends).

"UCF: U Can't Finish" "UCF: Under Construction Forever"

Michelle

The best thing about UCF is its location and dedication to academic excellence. It gives students an immense amount of job-opportunities and experice. On the down-side, its location takes away of a college centered life. Students are often persuaded to attend other events going on in Orlando. The professors typically have work-related experience and are able to bring that into the classroom. The school is too large, and you can get lost in the crowd. With work being a priority to many students at UCF, it sometimes takes away from the time they have to get involved. UCF's administration is professional, but like most other Universities it is best to be on top of your responsibilities and check on possible duties. UCF's school pride is growing tremendously, with the new stadium. One experience I will always remember is how Volunteer UCF brought my relationship with my boyfriend closer together.

Haha. If you feel out of place at UCF, you probably are like the majority who just don't care about trying to fit in with the 47,000 students at UCF. If you feel "in" you are probably no more "in" then the other group that sat next to you. Most of the students are from Florida though.

Because I talk a lot, professors know my name. My favorite class would actually have to be my Spanish courses I have taken with Dr. Thompson, despite it be my minor, he is challenging and always made me laugh. I always looked forward to his class. My major is exciting, I did encounter some dry courses, but everything I have learned has been useful, and I feel well prepared to take on law school.

The popular team on campus is of course the UCF football team. Students just come out to have a good time, watch some football, eat some burgers and drink some beer.

Patrick

UCF is young, very young, almost too young. I tell people all the time at my job in Disney that I attend UCF and they reply "wheres that?" I think if wait about 30 years we'll make a great name for ourselves. We need some alumni to go out there and say "Hey I went to UCF and look at me now." My grandma doesn't even know what college I go to! Could be Alzheimer's though, who knows? Theres a lot of white people here, which is weird I guess. I'm so accustom to South Florida and it's diversity, so coming onto campus and seeing a bunch of white kids was quite a culture shock. I think in terms of college pride, traditions, and academics UCF is actually pretty boring. Sure we have spirit splash, but jumping into a knee deep hole can only go so far. I think this is due to our adolescences as a university. Eventually something interesting will happen.

Students here don't really care about one another. They meet one another once let's say at a party, then add each other on Facebook, then fail to make any attempt at communicating with said person ever again. I also feel that A LOT of our student run organizations that are desperately trying to make a difference are just running in circles and going nowhere. Students throw away flyer's as soon as they get it, and the only way to get students to vote is with free food or t-shirts. That's really sad. But I can't really say anything because I voted for the yellow shirt people because they gave me a shirt, pizza, and ice cream. Overall students are lazy. They party, realize their fat, go to the gym, gain confidence in their mediocre appearance, go back to the sketchy bars, drink, then drink some more, get fat again, then go back to the gym. All of this and maintain a respectable 2.499 gpa. Oh what a lifestyle.

I show up high to my English class sometimes because it's the only way I can actually find that class moderately interesting. UCF has an awesome campus, I think we should keep expanding and become the largest school in the nation! Take that Ohio State! Spirit Splash is overrated Our football team will probably suck without Kevin Smith. The faculty in the Office of Student Involvement don't get paid enough. I know how much they earn. I tell people on my tours all the time to live off campus, it's WAY FREAKING CHEAPER! UCF wasn't my first choice school, but I'm really glad I go here and not where I wanted to go initially. The UCF police are quite nice. Students need to volunteer more often! This survey was longer then ten minutes.

Yes! At least the ones I mentioned.

I can't really speak in behalf of the students and the fact that I'm only a freshman but I really just do enough to get by. Sure we're competitive but for what goal? Our diploma doesn't have our gpa on it so why bother? As long as I keep my good ole' bright futures then my mother and I are happy. We need more intimate classroom settings, and a grading system like Emory university and Dartmouth where you just pass or fail, my friend there says it's great and so stress free.

UCF students are lazy! If their not in a Greek organization, Lead, or honors then they rarely volunteer I can assure you that! The dating scene sucks unless alcohol is involved. Then it sucks the next morning.

U Can't Finish, which might be true for some majors. I'm a double major in engineering so I know for sure I'll be out of here with my awesome piece of paper in five years. It doesn't bother me though, why rush into the real world so quickly? I'm not ready for a mortgage, or taxes, or kids and a dog. Students here need to chill out more often. Everyone says the girls here are total hotties. I have to agree to that one. Sorority girls are hot too. As for females in engineering I have to admit there are some cute ones there too, and their smart. I love smart cute girls! Especially if their smarter then me, which shouldn't be too hard. Yeah UCF!

Best thing about UCF is definitely the location. For example, event management majors have great resources because they are near amusement parks, high scale hotels, etc. Pre-med majors have numerous hospitals and medical professionals offices around as well. One thing I would change would be how people stereotype UCF. People always think that UCF stands for U Can't Finish, but I personally think that they are saying that because they know UCF is one of the largest schools in the country and its building its reputation every day. I think UCF is breaking down the negative assumption through our athletics, academics, and our new medical school. A lot of people react pleased and say good things when I tell them i got to UCF. The people around Orlando definitely support UCF and vice versa. On campus, I usually spend most of my time in the Student Union, various buildings for classes, the gym, and library.

I think ethnic students would feel out of place at UCF, but recently I say that perspective is changing. There are many ethnic organizations at UCF, promoting great events to try to make everyone feel included. most UCF students are from Florida, but not all from mainly Orlando. Just everywhere around Florida. There are organizations that are politically aware/active, and students that are interested are more than welcome to join to those organizations.

UCF is going to blow everyone's mind away, from outstanding academics to an interactive student body to victorious athletics. It is in a great location and has the best everything.

These stereotypes are not accurate. Yes there are people who party, but there is a majority that does not party as much. I personally do not party as much as most do, but I do go out every once and a while. I feel like these stereotypes are made upon inaccurate individual actions.

Some professors know my name, but only if its a small classroom setting. My favorite class varies, but currently it is Biology and my least favorite is Chemistry. Class participation is common in the classes, depending on what we're doing, but overall, the class participates and interacts with the teacher. Some students are competitive in the classes, but they're just looking out for themselves and wanting to get the best grade possible. Many students within the science classes that I am are very determined to get the best grade possible, but it helps for their GPA.

Greek life is popular on campus. I am involved with Chi Omega. I absolutely love this sorority and this group of girls. Everything that i have learned about it just makes me love it every day. I wear the Greek letters with pride and tell everyone that i'm a Chi Omega sister. I am also involved in the Chinese American Student Association (CASA). I am Chinese and it seems like a great group to join. I am active within both organizations and currently running for a position in CASA. Athletic events are VERY popular at UCF. Even if you don't like the sport, you go because you love to cheer for UCF. If I am awake at 2 Am on a Tuesday, I would be most likely up because of academics. Some other people would be up partying, but personally, I would be up studying and trying to get my homework done.

UCF has the stereotype of being an easy school to get into and the students are stereotyped as party kids. Every school has party kids, but it seems UCF students are automatically assumed to party every night, given the location of Orlando

Courtney

I love that UCF is finally growing into its shoes. With the new stadium on campus, the student body has alot more pride in the school. The school I feel is not to large or small. Most people ask where I go to school, and nothinf real negative is ever said about it, unless they go to USF. I do feel that the city where UCF is located, is not a "college town". There is only a small amount of people here that are college students. That I feel is where my college experience is lacking. The administration is not that bad. There has only been a few instances where I have had complaints.

I do interact with the other groups on campus. Being a member of the greek community, it allows me to interact with the campus moreso than I would have not being in a greek organization. I feel that some students are primarily here to come to class and leave. Those are the students I feel are left out of what the university has to offer its student body. Most UCF student I have met are from florida, primarily in South Florida. The backgrounds and political sides are at a greater variety than alot of schools are.

Not at all. We have many students who got into the top schools like UF, and chose to come to UCF.

Most of my Professors do know my name. There are only so many Legal Studies professors, and I have them multiple times. I do go meet with them as much as possible to develop a better teacher/student relationship. I believe majority of students do well, and do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Some of my best discussions have been sitting in the hallways of the school. My department I believe is an amazing programs with just wonderful professors. It is gearing me up for law school.

I would say that greeks are definitely the most active students on this campus. We dont make up a huge percent of the student population, but we are very much involved in every aspect of the school. The dating scene...can be tough. Its hard being from the south, and not many people here are. My closest friends are my sorority sisters. I do know that people do tend to go out alot here, but its college so I consider it a little bit normmal. Saturday nights do not always involve drinking. Im always with friends no matter where I go.

That UCF students are the rejects from schools like UF.

Alex

Sense of unity and school pride

Sense of unity and school pride

Large variety of clubs that let you interact with all different types of ppl

Professors are very helpful

Im in the Chi Omega Sorority. Best thing I have ever done!

Jill

No. UCF has very smart students, otherwise we wouldn't be wanting or needing the School of Medicine we are getting.

They we are stupid. Not as smart as UF or FSU. But somehow we still manage it stay in their group because of how big our school is.

Rebecca

I LOVED my time at UCF and I miss it tremendously. When I reflect on my time there and I hear other peoples story they don't even compare. UCF is unique because you have a "big town" avilability to events, but being right on the edge of Orange county allows you to really experience I close, college community. I remember orientation and the campus seemed so BIG but it really starts to feel like home after a semester (depending on how involve you become). I will ALWAYS remember the football games and especially spirit splash!!!

There was really I diversity amongst my classes. I have GenEd classes that had about 300 students and a class at the entire of my time that had at most about 9 students. I always feels this is really subjective because it depends on how involved I want to be with the professor. But overall I remember them being very open and easy to talk with.

Not too sure. I thought UCF was very diverse. Maxim rated us as one of the most attractive campuses and I would have to agree.

Kristen

The best thing about UCF is the beautiful campus. Many of our buildings are brand new and state of the art. Our Student Governemnt Association is top ranked in Florida. Our biggest problem at UCF is the faculty student ratio. Most of the classes are huge, and will stay large if the major is a popular major or doesn't have high academic standards to apply. I know that our school seems large, but I see the same people everyday and feel like I am still at a close-knit community. I spend most of my time on campus at the Student Union. The union contains a food court, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, The Student Government Association, Office of Student Involvement, Event Services, SGA Printing Lab, SGA Ticket Center, and little stores.I would say that the biggest controversy on Campus were the SGA elections for President and Vice-President of SGA. I causes a lot of comotion on campus and is a time when students really getting involved. UCF is starting to get more school pride because of our new on-campus stadium. This was the first year we had it. Tailgating started on campus as well and it unites the students and alumni.

Some major stereotypes are that we are party school and our main population of students are from Tampa, South Florida, and Jacksonville. Our undergrad business program is a top program at our school.

Cody

Complaints: There are not enough classes offered for certain marjors so students are forced to stay for 5 years. The school isn't too large for me. I like the big size. Allows for a diverse student body and diverse events and activities. I spend most of my time at the union. Biggest recent controversy was with the frat guys and their messed up initiation practices...that was actually last year maybe there was something more recent but I can't recall. Orlando is not a college town but the part of Orlando around UCF definitely feels like a college town. Amoung the majority of students there is zero school pride. People where other college's t-shirts on our campus.

Of a large majority but not all students at UCF

University of Central Florida administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.