University of Central Florida

« See more reviews of University of Central Florida

"Community" is another pillar of the UCF creed. It stands for respecting the rights and contributions of everyone in order to create a supportive environment on campus. It really is one of the most diverse schools I have ever seen, not just in terms of students, but also evident in faculty and administration members (since they practice an Equal Opportunity Employment system). Our student government body itself has all ethnicities represented, which shows every one gets an equal opportunity. Every religious student organization is welcome to table and advocate its literature, of course in a non-imposing way. So far I have seen Muslims, Catholics, Mormons, Hindus, Atheists, etc., all promoting their materials outside the student union. The same kind of freedom is also provided to political and LGBT organizations. A noteworthy aspect of our campus is the designated "free speech" areas including one located outside the library as well as in six other areas on campus. These spots are used for anyone to freely speak about, sometimes even scream, their opinions and concerns. In terms of the socio-economic status of students, theres diversity in that too. I consider myself someone who belongs to a middle class family, and I do just fine at school thanks to financial aid, bright futures' scholarship, and UCF's scholarship. Majority of students work and go to school to support themselves. So I would say, most students come from humble backgrounds and take care of themselves for the most part. This also means you see students in casual and comfortable outfits around school, further enhancing their images of every day college students. To help students out a little, University of Central Florida has a unique program called Knights Pantry. It's a medium sized storage place in the middle of campus where fellow knights donate canned food, clothes, and necessary items for those knights in need. All you must have is a valid student ID to get whatever is needed. UCF is as diverse as it gets, in terms of race, ethnicity, socio economic status, academic capabilities, interests, etc.

One of the things I love about UCF is the vast diversity that is there. From infancy onward I have always been around people who come from a variety of different backgrounds and cultures; for example, 80% of students that attended my high school were not Caucasian, with groups from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Vietnam, and Colombia. The same is true of UCF--it is nothing out of the ordinary to walk from the Student Union to the Library and see a group of Middle Eastern students, followed by a Latino organization with some black and European Americans scattered about. Thus, I feel right at home. The diversity at UCF stretches far beyond just ethnicity. Groups of Muslims, Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, atheists and other belief systems can easily be identified across campus, bearing thorough witness to the school's religious diversity. The same can be said of political matters--democrats, republicans, and other groups all exist on campus. Moreover, the punk, hip hop, cowboy, Gothic, and LGBT cultures are all present on campus, excluding virtually no one from a group that they feel they might "belong" to. Many students are from Florida, while sizable portions come from out-of-state. Understandably then, one would think that with all of these differing views, there must be a lot of discord and a lack of unity here at UCF, but instead the opposite is true--all of these different cultures blend together beautifully, much in the same way that the different instruments in an orchestra complement each other seamlessly to create a pleasant musical piece. This remarkable diversity has made me embrace UCF all the more so for its uniqueness.

There are students from every walk of life at UCF; Every nationality, religion and socioeconomic status, as well as people of all ages. Each of my classes were different and had different kinds of people in them. I don't think anyone would feel out of place, as there's so much diversity. As for attire, since there are so many different people, no one wears the same thing. Some people wear pajamas, others wear suits, some where sports wear and others wear shorts and t-shirts. It's basically an "anything goes" kind of policy. The actual students come from all over the US and abroad, so it's rare to find many people from the same place. That being said, the financial background of most students is likely middle class, or above, as it does cost a significant amount of money to go to school and not everyone can be on scholarship. I would say students, more than anyone, are the most politically active and aware, as there are always demonstrations and fliers being handed out daily. As for their views, I think the majority of students are left or center, as this generation is more liberal than the one before it.

UCF has more student organizations then anyone can count, any given day many of them will have tables set up all around the central part of UCF known as the student union. No students will feel out of place, there are numerous organizations to choose from. Most students wear regular t shirts and shorts to school. Many students part of professional organizations wear business attire but more wear clothes suitable for the florida sun. All students interact well with each other even the democratic and republican student organizations. Most of the students are from the central florida area, but some are from as far down as the florida keys and as high up as new york. In fact we also have a lot of international students. Financial backgrounds range greatly, I myself come from a low income family but I have a friend that drives a 2011 mustang fully paid for by his parents. Students are usually in the center but some fluctuate either way. Students at UCF are always talking about how much they will make once they enter their prospective fields of study.

Students here don't really care about one another. They meet one another once let's say at a party, then add each other on Facebook, then fail to make any attempt at communicating with said person ever again. I also feel that A LOT of our student run organizations that are desperately trying to make a difference are just running in circles and going nowhere. Students throw away flyer's as soon as they get it, and the only way to get students to vote is with free food or t-shirts. That's really sad. But I can't really say anything because I voted for the yellow shirt people because they gave me a shirt, pizza, and ice cream. Overall students are lazy. They party, realize their fat, go to the gym, gain confidence in their mediocre appearance, go back to the sketchy bars, drink, then drink some more, get fat again, then go back to the gym. All of this and maintain a respectable 2.499 gpa. Oh what a lifestyle.

Everyone you come across on campus is here for one thing, and that is to learn. The classroom atmosphere ranges from comfortable in the lower level classes to more professional in the upper level courses. It all really depends on the professor. During the average day of class in the engineering department, you can find students casually sitting in either atrium hard at work. However, when it comes to presentations and demonstrations, you can bet that UCF's engineering students know it's time to be professional. You can also count on making friends that will be there to help you out with classes and are very interactive to the learning process. Everyone just wants to learn something, be they poor, rich, middle class, republican, democrat, independent, gay, straight, or transgender. I have yet to come across someone who won't put their differences aside to help some one out.

UCF is a very diverse school. You are going to be required to interact with diverse students in all of your courses. I personally love this because it opens my eyes to other cultures and views. I don't think any student would feel out of place at UCF. There are some students who like to look their best in class everyday and there are others, like myself, who most of the time like to be comfortable and wear sweats. It doesn't matter what you wear as long as you are happy with it. I think most students at this school are from middle class families. A lot of students rely on financial aid and their jobs to support themselves. There aren't many families who can support their children while in school. Students do discuss how much money they will make one day which is important and most professors will discuss this in their courses.

I believe that UCF really emphasizes diversity amongst their students. Of course, in a classroom, there is always that one person that everyone hates that always asks the teacher with one minute left what the homework assignment is, but despite that one person everyone is culturally diverse. I have learned about so many different types of cultures due to UCF. I had never even met a jewish person before coming to college, and sophomore year I lived with all jewish girls. I might even describe some activities, such as chabad, with them as a cultural shock not being brought up in the jewish faith. Also, in my french and spanish classes I am exposed to different types of religions and ideas from all over the world. I love going to UCF because I am able to learn about the world during an ordinary day on campus.

The students at UCF are diverse. That is really all there is to it. We have students from every state, numerous different countries, and all parts of the world. As far as my experiences have been, I have had nothing but pleasant encounters learning about new cultures and walks of life. The University has an office of Diversity Initiatives which sets out to create inclusion for all, regardless of your race, religion, or preference of any kind, and having worked on a project with them, they really know what they are doing and how to make anyone welcomed and comfortable at the school. Students usually keep to themselves about their financial situation, and as far as the future goes, everyone at UCF believes and wants the same thing, to be successful, however they define success, exactly the way we like it.

I have seen first hand that our campus is extremly diverse but that is also due to the size of the campus. Our school does not segregate and divide according to race, religion, or other possible divisions. The school comes together by students all from different walks of life who can share their experiences and change. This is ultimatley seen through out O-Team members who run rientation and other freshman events throughout the year. The team is made up of boys and girls, black and white, gay and straight, their is no division anyone can be apart of the team. Within a court yard outside of the student union groups have freedom of speech where they can set up polical booths to showcase their ideals and express themselves without being punished.