University of Central Florida

« See more reviews of University of Central Florida

The online course curriculum is underdeveloped. My school is one of the up and coming public universities in America with great professors and unique courses molding students into a workforce of leaders with skills that are in high demand and in short supply. However, with the fast movement of technology, opportunites to implement non-traditional methods in every aspect of American life are now open. The local community college offers complete online degrees , broadening their student body. For a school that is being noticed, it is difficult to understand why UCF hasn't taken full advantage of these opportunities.

The worst thing about the University of Central Florida is the parking. There are five parking structures and many smaller parking lots littered throughout the campus, but combined they offer around ten-thousand parking spaces for fifty-thousand students. Chances are you will be late to many classes, even if you arrive to campus early, because you will be stuck circling the parking lots endlessly hoping to find someone leaving that will give you their spot. If you violate any ridiculous rule set by the parking services on campus, you will be issued over-priced tickets for any small infraction.

Costliness is the worst thing about my school. I find many of my peers struggling to afford education. While some students use student loans to help with financial aid, other students are not eligible. Class texts books are priced at ridiculous amounts. If the student can barely afford the class, forget buying the books. Affordable living is also hard to find. Even in today's devastated economy, people still cannot afford to live in off-campus housing (cheaper than on-campus). The cleanliness of such apartments, houses, and dorms are simply not well-matched for what comes out-of-pocket.

The worst thing about UCF is that many things are not explained to the students. There are over 48,000 undergraduates and many do not understand concepts such as registration or even checking grades online. The lack of communication from administration to students is very noticeable. I sometimes find myself confused around the time of enrollment and finals because the information is so difficult to obtain. I believe that many problems students encounter are caused by this issue. The school expects everyone to have a pre-existing knowledge of procedure without actually explaining it.

The worst thing about my school, is the increasing size of our student body. The enrollment is nearing 60,000 students and it creates problems in many areas of college life. For students, the class sizes grow larger, meaning less intimate settings and for certain learning styles this is not efficient for succeeding in academics. Additionally, if the class sizes do not grow larger, than the university often offers less classes available in a semester so you may not even be able to enroll in a needed class! Finally, for both students and faculty: parking is atrocious!

I think that the worst thing about University of Central Florida is the lack of quiet in the library. For a school with over 56,000 students, there should be more room and more stringent rules in place regarding the "quiet spaces." Although different floors are for different levels of study (group, private, quiet, loud), these are not usually adhered to. Quite often, one will be studying in peace and a group of four students sits at the table adjacent and begins talking. It's impossible to concentrate and asking them to quiet down only result in getting laughed at.

"Customer service" is a big issue. When asking a question, especially one involving finances, to dining services, financial aid, or other administrative offices, the employees never provide consistent information. Last semester for example, my parents, sister, and I were given false information about a meal plan during orientation before the fall semester. We are now having to lay out an extra $1500 even though they made a mistake. It feels that the only way to get the proper information is to yell at the person over the phone, and it is incredibly frustrating.

This school edges on the conservative side , so where there were pleny of judaic studies, most other religions got left by the wayside. Furthermore, because it is still growing, it is focused heavily on improving its 'practical' course offerings. So this means there isn't much variety in, say, what languages you can take, or what extracurriculars are available. The worst thing is definitely the fact that a lot of students feel lost, or like they're recieving bad advice (even fi they only ask friends!) Read the undergraduate handbook and command your own future.

UCF is a thriving institution. Though I encourage you to see the potential and all that we have accomplished in a fraction of the time compared to other universities in the state, other's look down on us for being a young institution. That attitude has brought student morale down in the past. Occasionally, the sentiment still lingers. Fortunately, this year I have seen a change in the UCF student attitude. In sum, I feel that the worst thing about UCF is that other's try to discredit what we have accomplished, when in fact work hard and have persevered.

The worst thing about UCF would probably be the requirement of upper level electives still imposed on transfer students. The college which I transfered from was a state college and labelled their courses different and thus I am having to stay an extra semester because the classes I transfered with don't read as upper level for UCF. I believe that for transfer students a forgiveness of a certain number of upper level courses should be granted otherwise it seemes as though students who transfer end up being penalized for doing so by having to stay longer.