University of Central Florida

« See more reviews of University of Central Florida

UCF has the second largest enrollment in the country with more than 50,000 students just this year, clearly indicating how large this school really is. A commendable quality about the university is how they know what to do in order to cater to their growing population. They're constantly adding to the infrastructure, for example new parking garages, extension to the recreation and wellness center, a possible second student union, etc. On the other hand, UCF is a relatively young school, less than 50years old, yet it is giving all the other competitor schools in Florida a run for their money. Since I am a student senator, I know a little more than the average student about my university. Whenever I talk about UCF to other people, I mention all the directions we are excelling in. Our hospitality program at Rosen is one of the best in the country. People are slowly getting on board with UCF since we have been able to produce amazing students with successful schooling and degrees just from our programs. The recent controversy at school has to do with state wide budget cuts, which has scared a lot of students and faculty. But the administration has been comforting and clear about what's going on, which helps somewhat in the sense that we know what to expect. Every thursday night we have our senate meetings from 7pm to 11pm. I feel like the proudest Knight one can be because I get to learn about student needs, achievements, complaints, suggestions, requests, and everything in between. It's such a learning experience and a great way to give back to my school. The University of Central Florida has so much to offer to each and every student. There is not one activity, one resource, or one part of campus where one cannot find information about all of its achievements. You can't walk around campus without seeing at least 10 students displaying their school pride with UCF Knight sports jerseys or t-shirts. So much pride and joy for the university as a whole is experienced by taking a mere few steps onto its beautiful campus.

I love University of Central Florida. Being in Orlando there is so much to do in your spare time. To the west 30 minutes are world class attractions such as Walt Disney World, Universal, and Sea World. Being so close to these makes really fun weekends with lots of great memories. To the east 45 minutes is the Atlantic coast line. At the end of a stressful week it is great to be able to go a chill out in the sun at the beach. The only thing I would change about the school is its transportation to all these opportunities for fun in the sun. For a student without a car it is really hard to get anywhere. There are buses that run to and from Waterford Lakes on the weekend which allows for shopping, dining out, or a movie. Other than that though there isn't really transportation anywhere else. UCF is relatively young school. It was founded in 1963 as Florida Technological University. Being such a young school there is definitely a more rejuvenating, alive, and excited vibe to the campus compared to other campuses I've visited. UCF is the second largest school in the nation but it certainly doesn't feel that way. The campus is small and intimate, you can get pretty much anywhere within about 15 minutes. It never feels crowded but you also have the chance to meet someone new everyday. When I tell people I go UCF it is a mixed response. I am originally from Colorado so some people are shocked at the distance. Most people actually don't know about UCF but when I tell them it is in Orlando they are pretty jealous. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm with my friends. I am part of a special learning community so we have the opportunity to take classes together and go to special events together. Besides my dorm I also spend a lot of my time just walking around campus. I love just watching and exploring because I see something new everyday. Everyone, including me, is proud of UCF and all our traditions.

Going in order of "Some things you may want to think about... The best thing about this school is that it is located in a very large market area that provides more intern and job opportunities while in college and after graduation, as opposed to Gainesville, which is strictly a college town. I would change the school's passion for school sports, such as football. I would also change the administration's negative view and restrictions on greek life. Seeing as greeks are the leaders on campus and do a majority of the community service and philanthropic events. MY SCHOOL IS TOO LARGE. Individual's reaction to me attending THE University of Central Florida is that it is gaining in reputation and that it is getting harder and harder to be accepted to. Considering I live in the Sigma Chi house and it is on campus, this is where a majority of my time studying or being social is spent. Other than my residence, my duties as Senator in SGA require me to be in the SGA Office in the Student Union. NOT A COLLEGE TOWN BUT GETTING THERE. The administration seems to not care about individual students, but seems to care more about the bigger picture. Due to the sheer size of the University, i cannot blame them. I'm not here to speak on controversy. The amount of school pride really depends on the student. I know I like to go crazy at the basketball games, but some enjoy rooting for our knights in the comfort of their dorm rooms. THE University of Central Florida is unusually located in the heart of the service industry, Orlando. Imagine attending college 20 minutes away from Disney World, Universal Studios, The Titanic Experience, and the largest McDonald's in the world. I'll always remember my initiation into Sigma Chi. Parking on campus is the biggest student complaint.

Many people may think that UCF is too large, I disagree. A community is only as large as you make it out to be. You may see yourself surrounded by thousands of people, but aren't there millions in the world anyways? Find your friendships, and root yourself in eachother, that way you will never be distracted by the chaos around you. UCF is conveniently located close to Cocoa beach, the Orlando International Airport, and all of the Orlando theme parks. Every kind of resturant you could think of is probably one mile within the UCF campus. Because Orlando is a tourist destination, it's extremely easy to find fun activities that allow you to take the necessary break from school work when stree starts to hit. There is a wide variety of individuals at UCF, so if you think you won't fit in, you're wrong. The number of clubs and organizations is outrageously high, for example, there's even a club dedicated to "chocolate lovers." I found it very easy to make friends and attend club meetings as a freshman, because most students are very friendly and welcoming! The campus is beautiful, and if you haven't seen the infamous Reflection Pond, I suggest you google it. There are amazing resources that are offered by the school that aid in career development, social development, and emotional help. The recreation center is huge and offers a variety of classes like yoga, spinning, zumba, and washboard abs. Overall, The University of Central Florida is wonderful. If you don't believe me, look at how fast the number of enrolled students is rising.

My overall opinion of UCF is generally positive. For the most part, my experiences with instructors have been positive, with maybe one or two exceptions, but for the most part, instructors and members of the administration who I've interacted with have been nice people who've at least meant well even if they haven't always been able to help. The main reason I like UCF is the same reason I wound up selecting it over other schools that had accepted me--the UCF campus boasts almost countless amenities. There are bookstores, printing labs, two cafeterias and countless restaurants, and a full state of the art recreational gymnasium, just to name a few of the more major ones. However, there are a few aspects of UCF that some might be uncomfortable with. A lot of student business with the school is conducted via the MyUCF website, including signing up for classes, which could make it easy to forget to do something important. Also, a word of advice about living arrangements--if you can help it, avoid living in on-campus housing. None of the rooms I've seen on campus had even decent square footage in their bedrooms. Finally, you can expect to be extremely busy during the later parts of each semester--the workload tends to start out easy then increase dramatically as the semester marches on. Overall, UCF is a good school, with lots of good amenities both on campus and nearby, but it relies a lot on technology and probably isn't for people who are going to slack off.

Although I didn't want to go to UCF in the first place, I'm happy now that I did. I like the fact that it's in a city (although the traffic is terrible). UCF is very large, but I like it. The campus is constantly growing and expanding, which is sometimes frustrating (again - traffic) but they are adding things that make the campus more convenient for students. Faculty at UCF is great. I have genuinely liked almost all of the professors that I've had. But getting anything done concerning signing up for classes, financial matters, etc. is difficult. Because the school is so large, students are treated as a number. But usually things work out well. There is a ton of school spirit, especially with our new stadium and arena. I work for Knightline at UCF. It's a campaign that is part of the Annual Fund, which is part of the UCF Foundation. We call up alumni, parents, and friends of UCF, update them about the school and then ask for donations. The money we raise goes to providing scholarships to students, attracting faculty, and updating technology. While some of the alumni don't care about what's happening at UCF, most are excited to hear from a student and appreciate that we call. It's hard to get pledges, but there are people who will donate $1,000 in one shot. I think it's safe to say that overall, people have a good experience at UCF.

I cannot speak more highly of this school. Although we are a huge university and it can be overwhelming with the sheer number of students at the school and the size of the actual campus there is no better school to attend. I would definitely say that the only thing that could be changed about UCF would be the communication between departments, it can be at times confusing trying to schedule your classes for the upcoming semester between first year advising and your majors advising as well as school requirements outside your major to graduate. That being said the school offers as much as possible on campus ranging from a completely up to date student union, often referred to as the study union to a wide variety of restaurants to chose from to grab dinner at. The school gives ample space for students to spread out, create study groups and study material for class regardless of the building they are in or where on campus they want to be. The school offers more to its students than I have seen from many other schools and truly cares. Overall this school offers everything a college student could ask for. A wide variety of things to do on campus (including but not limited to kayaking or canoeing on Lake Claire), places to study and places to catch up with classmates and friends.

UCF is a great environment. With the size of the school, both in student count as well as campus size, there is always something to enjoy. The amount of student organizations is amazing and they cover so much ground. We are up-and-coming in in every way and people love to hear that I am attending UCF. And this is no college town, its a city in itself; that is run very well if you ask me. Although the campus is huge, there is always a map around and 100 students who are willing to give you directions. The administration is great, and a large amount of the employment on campus are actual students who are committed to helping out. Walking around campus, you will be sure to find yourself surrounded in black and gold and UCF all over. Unfortunately so many pluses, there is one minus: Parking. However even this "inconvenience" has become a part of our school culture as everyone jokes about how parking is such a difficulty. Teachers have noted the problem and usually give leniency when it comes to this as they do understand that with such a large volume of students, even the double digit parking lots that we have are sometimes not enough. The academics are great, the gym is great, the social life is great, and that makes the whole experience very worth while.

The University of Central Florida is a school that serves more than 50,000 students, and has among the largest student body of any other university. Although this means that all of the general education classes are taught in auditoriums of about 300 students, it also means that there is a lot of opportunity. With over 300 different clubs and the location of the main being less than an hour from Disney, it provides students with many opportunities to get involved or find a job. The hardest thing, in my opinion, for many people to cope with is the student body size. In your first two years of school, you have very little one-on-one interaction with your professors since class sizes are so large, the campus can be somewhat difficult to navigate sometimes, and you might feel a little lost in the crowd. However, UCF has many different degree programs and has a lot of really great professors with amazing accomplishments. In the end, it is truly up to the applicant, a large school can be a good thing if you have the initiative to go out and apply yourself in getting to know people, but if a small, intimate classroom is preferred, UCF might not be the best option.

The best thing about UCF is the beautiful campus. Many of our buildings are brand new and state of the art. Our Student Governemnt Association is top ranked in Florida. Our biggest problem at UCF is the faculty student ratio. Most of the classes are huge, and will stay large if the major is a popular major or doesn't have high academic standards to apply. I know that our school seems large, but I see the same people everyday and feel like I am still at a close-knit community. I spend most of my time on campus at the Student Union. The union contains a food court, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, The Student Government Association, Office of Student Involvement, Event Services, SGA Printing Lab, SGA Ticket Center, and little stores.I would say that the biggest controversy on Campus were the SGA elections for President and Vice-President of SGA. I causes a lot of comotion on campus and is a time when students really getting involved. UCF is starting to get more school pride because of our new on-campus stadium. This was the first year we had it. Tailgating started on campus as well and it unites the students and alumni.