University of Central Florida Top Questions

What should every freshman at University of Central Florida know before they start?

Lindsey

Save as many quarters as you can. They come in handy as emergnecy money. Don't slack in your classes just because it's your senior year. The work might be super easy but you still have to do it. Keep your friends close and don't let petty drama come between you. You only have them for so much longer after all. Also, take lots of pictures because they're usually of the best memories you'll have. When it comes to transitioning to college, don't panic. It's easier than it seems. Once all the annoying paper work is over it's smooth sailing from then and all you'll have to worry about is what color you want your bed spread to be.

Kim

Stay away from waking up too early. Take better care of yourself. Be prompt and organized.

stephanie

Stephanie, as you embark on your college experience I have a few words of wisdom. Firstly, time management... While it's easy to get side tracked with the new found freedoms living on your own has to offer, school has to come first. If you get lazy and your grades suffer... it will be abundantly harder to get accepted to the graduate school of your choice. Believe me, grades are everything. If you manage your time properly, check out the schools clubs, meet new people, experience as many new things as possible. Be proactive and make an effort to meet your teachers during office hours, ask questions and ask for advice. Not only will that help you with your grades but when graduation comes, those teachers will be willing to write thorough letters of reccomendation! Lastly, ENJOY your time in college, it goes by faster than you think.

Lindsey

I would tell myself to study hard and to get myself out there as much as possible. I should have focused on my GPA a lot more than what I did. I didn't realize by having a great GPA I could have gotten a lot more scholarships during high school than what I did. Also, I would have pushed myself to dual enroll so that I could have gone to college for free for my first couple semesters of college. Now that I am "grown up" I am struggling to figure out a way to pay for school. Since it is so hard to have a full time job and to be a full time student, I am in need of funds for school. I hope you will consider me to be your scholarship recipient.

Hello, This is your college senior self. I want to tell you that you are embarking a journey of life that will impact your future. However, this period of your life is more than getting high grades and preparing for a career (although it is important so don't neglect doing your work!). It is about enjoying life, making friends, and creating memories. So don't get busy with only schoolwork and your jobs. Instead, go have fun! Join different extracurricular activities, student clubs, and school events. The next four years of your life is a special time so go make wonderful memories. Let this quote become your motivation. "It’s better to look back on life and say, “I can’t believe I did that,” than to look back and say, “I wish I did that.” Don't finish college and have regrets. Make sure that on graduation you feel a sense of satisfaction because you did everything you wanted to do! This is the time to enjoy life so live life without regrets!!!

Sharon

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell that me quite a few things. First of all, take college a little more seriously. Even though high school came easily to you, college is a completely new world where you can't do what you used to do and expect the same results. Your classes and studying should always come first and they will require a whole new level of commitment. Second, everything else is small and won't matter in the long run so don't let it stress you out. What matters now is school and doing well so you can achieve your ultimate goals. Third, you can have a social life and still be a great student but your social life shouldn't be your main focus. Lastly, don't worry about what others think; if they care about you they will be supportive and those who aren't supportive don't have your best interest in mind.

Christa

I want to advise you not to attend nursing school; you are not comfortable with many of the things required by nurses. Instead you should go for a medical laboratory sciences degree. Eventually you’ll be a single mother and have a beautiful, intelligent little girl just like yourself. Having her is the best decision I’ve made; however, I regret making the wrong career choice. I am struggling financially and school requires a great deal of my time, and it’s not fair to her. Also, I want to advise you that I struggled with chemistry. I started failing and dropped it on two separate occasions. Valencia College doesn’t have good chemistry teachers. For Chemistry I & II, you’ll need to go to Lake Sumter and take Dr. Katie Roles, and for Organic Chemistry I & II, you will need to go to Seminole State and take them with Professor Debra Mead. They are both very intelligent and know chemistry very well, however, the material is very difficult and you’ll have to put forth a great deal of effort to make the A’s that you’ll receive. Once you pass chemistry the worst is over. Good luck!

Joshua

I would tell myself that life is very hard without direction, without continuing education, and that high school is not the end for you. Figure out what you are passionate about and pursue it. Nothing good in life comes without some real work. Your scope of life is limited right now, but will be greatly expanded in the years to come. I know you've never been driven to or really influenced to attend college of any kind at all, but you'll learn through much strife and trials a many that it was more than just the right choice. It was the only choice for you to be a successful and well rounded person. I scraped my way through life for the past 9 years before attending The Vet Tech Institute of Houston. But you wont have to if you create a goal for yourself and go after it. I don't regret those years because they formed me into the ne'er back down person I am today. I've got a challenge in front of me, and I welcome it. You can be great if you try.

Aasim

Given this oppurtunity, I would tell my high school senior self not to take easy the first semester. In high school, I was the kid who never needed to study for any test and could easily get an A, but when I entered college, I had that same mentality and it hurt me. I walked in and began to struggle from the first test and had to work from behind to save my grade. If I could go back, I would tell myself to realize how different college is and to actually study, pay attention and get to know the professor so they can help you when it's neccessary.

Stacey

Among the many things that I would love to educate the girl with the giant blue eyes and the whimsical imagination and very gifted in high school; I would look her in the eyes and stress to her how important furthering her education really is. I would remind her of the struggles that her own mother faced as a single parent as she herself battled her way through nursing school. I would remind this "younger me" of the times that she tutored her own mother in Math, including teaching her foundations such as the multiplication table. I would then ask her if this is what she wants her higher education experience to mimic. I would offer her so many words of encouragement and much advice on focusing on the things that matter. I would tell her that no matter what, don't put your education on the back burner for a relationship. Never rest on the words of another that they will take care of you while they are devaluing your aspirations of achieving great things through higher education. Last, I would let her know that a great education is there for the ones who want it.