University of Central Florida Top Questions

What should every freshman at University of Central Florida know before they start?

Jamilette

College life can be amazing and it is different from high school; it is real life. I would advice myself to save as much money as I can and to start filling out as many scholarship applications as I can, to feel more relaxed when the college life arrives.

David

First I would tell myself not to get senioritis. I didn't think senioritis was real until it hit. My GPA could have been so much better if I didn't mess around that last year. Senioritis messed up alot for me and some of my goals weren't met. Overall I was kinda dissapointed. Also, you should never give up and if you think you can do something then do it! You have to believe in yourself because, I believe in the you who is me! If you're offered a good opportunity then take it! Don't waste your life.

Shomein

I would have given myself the advice to never give up and actually try. I did not take high school seriously and I regret not trying hard enough.

Danilo

I would tell myself to forget about what you accomplished in high school, but particularly the way that you learned. College is a different place with a different way of learning. You must learn to manage your time above all, and then you can succeed. It will be a difficult transition, and at times, you will feel alone. Keep busy and focused and you will see that time will pass by quickly. Have faith and be patient, and continue to be positive and you will achieve all of your goals.

Lindsey

In high school, I didn't think much about who I wanted to be. I chose my college based on proximity to my boyfriend (eventual husband) who was in the military. I chose my major (hospitality) because it was practical and portable for military life. Graduate school was unthinkable because I would need to be stationed wherever my husband went. I never considered choosing a major based on just me- my goals, passions and vision for the future. Now ten years later, that relationship is gone and my life has transitioned. I've always loved animals, had a mind for science, and enjoy community involvement. I'm excitedly on the path to become what I could've been from the start- a veterinarian! I'm earning another degree (biology) with plans to go to vet school in two years. If I could go back to high school, I'd tell myself to explore who you are- and follow that- before following anyone else. Choose your major based on your own passions and abilities, and don't understimate yourself. Set professional goals, and choose a school that will be a stepping stone for accomplishing them. College is all about you!

Forrest

In highschool I was almost entirely focused on academics and had a very limited social life because I was part of the IB program and although I graduated in the top 10 of my school while taking the most rigorous course work available I did not develop the social skills I feel I could have used when making the transition to university. So I would tell myself to make sure to develop some freindships and be more social because even though university is mostly about the academics its also very important to be social and have confidence or you will find yourself alienated and alone for no good reason. My first year I had a hard time making friends because I simply lacked the experience of dealing with large groups of people. Now I have the skills necessary but I could have developed them in highschool if I had only known how important they are in life.

Dylan

"Take your time and be diligent in everything you do." That is the best thing I could say to high school me. In high school I was a procrastinator and waited until the last second, rushing through every bit of schoolwork just before, sometimes even after the due date. This was a huge transitional problem when I arrived at UCF. I couldn't straighten out my priorities when it came to fun and classwork. It might be sometime before I can fully figure it out but I've started straightening up. "Listen to your parents" That is the next best thing I could advise my youger self. I wasn't too rough on my parents but when I wouldn't listen, it always bit me in the backside. They are usually right and it kills me to say that, but if I would've listened more, I would've been much more prepared for managing college the right way. Even still I am told "If only you listened to us more." But hey, not listening is part of being a kid right?

Andrea

Learn to live and let go. Not everything will come easy, but everything will be much easier to handle if you just let it happen and don't try to influence the events to benefit you. Making friends is not as hard or as scary as it can seem. Even though it's a big school and you might feel like just another student at times, remember that you matter, and you are important. Never lose sight of your goals, and never give up.

Sinclaire

Dear Sinclaire, Are you listening? Nod once for yes, and twice for no, because I know that back in highschool, you were afraid to speak. I know that you hid yourself away, even from help, in order to protect yourself from criticism. You swallowed your words as if letting them escape would expose and destroy your soul; make you into a lamb among wolves. Here's some advice from someone who's been where you're going - Straighten your posture and say what you want to say, loudly and clearly. You will learn that in the future, 'communication can control cities'. When you speak, people listen because your words are constructive and persuasive, carefully chosen and carrying powerful, charming subtext. In a university as big as the one you're headed to, that skill is not only necessary, but uncommon and even coveted. You'll understand when you finish SPC1000 (speech) with the highest grade in the class in your spring sophmore semester. Though you may eventually discover what I'm telling you in time, I'd like to give you confidence now - know that your well-placed words can place you well on your path into success. Sincerely, Sinclaire

Daniel

Hello Daniel, it's you from the future. Now look, there's something I need to say. I need you to listen to and follow each direction I give you to the word. You need to apply to those scholarships. Just because you don't technically qualify for them based on their criteria doesn't mean they won't give you the money if you apply. I'm telling you, you could seriously save us a lot of money. It is one of my biggest regrets right now and I need you to fix it. Also, stop slacking off in your classes and study for those AP exams. Again, it will save us money...and TIME! Just put in a little more effort. Life is okay, but it would be better if you try harder.