University of Central Florida Top Questions

What should every freshman at University of Central Florida know before they start?

Ashleigh

I would tell myself to take more duel enrollment classes and less advanced placement classes because the credit isn't reliant on one test and I would have actually learned important information.

Jamie-Lauren

I would suggest reaching out to more people in my high school years, particularly the teachers. A good recommendation letter can be the difference between getting accepted or not making the cut. I would also encourage myself to get involved in extra curriculars, academics aren't everything contrary to what your teachers may tell you. I think the most important thing I would stress would be just to get out of my own comfort zone more often. Having new experiences will make you a more well-rounded person and mo\uch more prepared for college life.

santos

I would simply have begun my college experience earlier and gotten that out of the way. I have lost much income due to my meandering and eclectic style. I have learned from travel experiences and much reading on my own. Life has been the greatest of teachers; the real world requires a degree to establish the bona-fides. Nonetheless, I have no regrets. I have seen the world and lived a life of rich experiences which would not have been possible had I been bound to a university during my days of sowing wild oats.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell my to take it easy and learn how to balance things and not procrastinate. I would tell myself not to put scholarship aside and to find time to apply. I would also advise myself to do a little more research about the colleges that I applied for and truly examine and understand the tuition, so that I won't have to drop out of the college I wanted to go to the week before and basically miss an entire semester.

Laura

The advice I would give myself is, don't think you will be able to be the same person you are in high school. You may think that you have found yourself completely, but there is a lot more to learn about yourself. Your first year in college will be tough. A lot of changes will occur in your life. You will have to let go of a lot of things from the past, like hobbies, boyfriends, and ways of life. But trust me, through all the darkness there will come a rainbow. You will be better, you will have lived through a lot, traveled a lot, and met many new people. You will be stronger, healthier, and even more radiant than today. Brace yourself for a rollercoaster in these upcoming years, but also prepare yourself for greatness.

Jill

If I was to have the opportunity to speak wisdom to my high school self I would encourage me to make the most of my college experience. I would hope to take my academics more seriously. I would want to be more selective about my participation in campus events. I would also be more vigilant to myslef about continuing through to graduation, regardless of the obstacles that may arise. In my freshman year at college, I got pregnant and married. These turn of events delayed my finishing school for a full 20 years. I certainly do not regret starting a family, only the delay that I allowed for it to cause. I would encourage myself to finish school even through the hard-times.

Athena

Don't worry about making friends. Don't worry about the size of the campus, you will find your way around. People are friendly and will help you if you are lost.

Katherine

Don't give in. Hard times will come and you will feel defeated but as long as you keep getting up you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. Anything worth having is worth fighting for so keep fighting and don't EVER think that you can't. I would tell myself that I am smart and persistent and those qualities will help me overcome my future mountains. Never take no for an answer, especially when it is related to your goals and dreams. Keep working towards those goals until the answer is yes. And always, always, always stay true to yourself. Trust in yourself, you are capable of more than you think.

Charlie

Challenge yourself. Do not use your status as a senior to relax and await your enrollment into a college since you believe that you can 'change' yourself then. Trying your best now can create a steady path in the future so that you don't have to be worrying all the time. You will be better prepared and better rested when you aren't scrambling everything in one go after letting it stack in a pile until the time is right to pick it up again. In addition to this, I would recommend on becoming a more sociable person and take all the oppurtunities given to you, as it will make you a better person. Social interaction is a necessity of human nature, and the only way you will climb the ladder of society is if you put yourself out there. Open yourself to the world, and your perspective will change drastically. College is there as your guide, and you must be willing to follow it.

Jose

Finish school. Do not let friendships, marriage, family ,church or hobbies hinder you progress. Experience carries very little weight when you are applying for a high paying job. Your life will be financially easier with your degree. Many corporations seek employees who are educated and pay them accordingly. There are no short cuts. Its better to spend five years in school sharpening your axe to cut a tree instead of spending five years trying to cut the tree with a dull axe. I'm you in twenty years. Dont waist twenty years to start right back at this point. Focus and finish your school!