University of Central Florida Top Questions

What should every freshman at University of Central Florida know before they start?

Being a high school senior was definitely a challenge. I did not apply to a college until the last minute. My advice to my past high school senior self would have been to apply to at least five colleges for early admission. Your chances of getting accepted and getting everything taken care of, would have released a burden off of your back. You could enjoy the rest of your senior year without worries. Also, filling out the FAFSA application is a must! It is better to do it ahead of time. Your chances of receiving more financial aid is greater than if you were to procrastinate until after the deadline. Besides, paying for college out of your own pocket is not that easy. Any type of financial aid, even taking the time to apply for scholarships will help. Use the time you would waste spending on social networks and put it towards filling out a few scholarships at a time. Take advantage. You'll never receive a scholarship, if you do not apply for them. The odds are in your favor. Do not let free money pass you by. Prepare for the best upcoming four years of your life.

Victoria

If I could go back in time as a high school senior I would try a lot harder in my AP classes. My teachers weren't the best so I never strived to my full potential in those classes. I would go back and pass all my AP exams so I could use the credits for college courses and save a lot of money.

Carolina

Dear Freshman Carolina, Lets pretend we are in a sorority and you are my little, I will be your big, yor mentor, your new best friend. If you take my advice you will get into top-tier colleges across the nation. This will sound corny and over-rated but take the classes you love at the level you realistically know you are capable of achieving. There are no make-up exams in life, therefore choose wisely. Colleges want you to chose one activity and be a leader, fully give yourself to that one activity. Its all about workign the system and how much of your energy you are willing to give for the long run. Take dual enrollment starting sophomore year, develop a relationship with your dream schools region admissions officer, prepare for the SAT/ACT starting freshmen year , develop a relationship with the brace advisor (he/she is key to a successful completion of the college applications and connections with admission officers aroud the nation), and lastly enjoy yourself. These are tips but they can be spread throughout high school. They are simple and clear cut. These are the tricks to success, take them. Best, Senior Carolina

John

Well at almost 60 years of age I would have to advise myself that going on to college is very rewarding and a great time in your life. You make many friends and memories from your college days and some last until the end. I would also recommend to me that I enlist in the military, complete the training & service, and then start my higher education. The military training has the ability to finish molding you into the person you are to become. It would also make me stronger and more confident in myself. I saw this transformation with my son with the Air Force. It would also have been so rewarding for me to complete college which something that no one in my family has done before me. I now know that you need a bachelor’s degree of some type in order to be considered for most jobs in today’s market. So my advice to me would be go get your degree, make great memories and live your life to the fullest. I left high school thinking I did not need a college degree, I was WRONG! Thank you for considering me for this scholarship.

Abigail

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice, it would be to learn more efficient study habits. I would also advise myself to explore more areas of volunteering and get a better sense of what I like to do and what I don't like to do. I would tell myself not to despair because college isn't as difficult as I thought it would be and try to work really hard to study and be more decisive in all that I do.

Tabitha

Focus on school and everything else will fall in place. You are going to have time for family, friends, and fun. Do not worry about money and how you are going to pay to get places or eat because options are available. Join the Glee Club at UCF, it will be the best decision you make in your entire college experience. There will be time to relax, go to the pool, see movies, and go out to dinner all while maintaining your grades in school. You are smart, you have worked hard your entire life especially through high school to get here. Do not give up ever, even when all hope seems lost.

Andrew

The advice I would give to my high school senior self is to put in 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} effort from day one. I have struggled for 3 years of college, even though my intelligence is quite high. I would tell myself to get help immediately when I start to feel anxious, depressed, or unable to focus. It has taken me this long to get help for my learning and mental health issues, but now that I have, it feels amazing. I regret not seeking help earlier, as I think I could have done so much better. If I could go back, I would do things so differently. I think that when high school students move on to college life, they often do not realize the importance that this short chapter has on the rest of their lives.

Don't take yourself too seriously. You don't have to know what you want to do going into school, thats what college is all about- finding out who you are and what you want to be.

Kelly

If I could talk to my high school senior self and give myself some advice, the first thing I would say would be something like, "Don't be an idiot." I was a bit foolish with my money, spending it on overpriced textbooks without looking at other stores and buying school-related souveniers that were too expensive for my liking. Making friends has always been difficult for me; I would tell my old self to actually go up to people and talk to them, rather than wallowing around in loneliness and homesickness. It hurts, but I got through it, and I ended up on the dean's list for the fall 2013 semester. I would say to not stress too much about academics, since I have always been fairly smart and hardworking, but to focus on the classes that teach the most. Always study for exams and put plenty of effort into the artwork done for class. In the end, what matters is whether or not my freshman year of college was worthwhile - and even though it was tough, I could've easily changed a few things to make it better.

Brodie

Dear Self, Are you ready? The next couple of years are going to be tough. You'll have your good times and your bad, but you are ready. Moving away isn't easy. You are used to mom and dad being there, taking care of everything, and now, it's just you. Just remember everything they taught you, and you'll be fine. Everything you heard about the parties is true. There are parties everywhere all of the time. But remember, there will always be another and you have to decide what's right for you. Remember Mom’s saying, “What’s popular isn’t always right, and what’s right isn’t always popular.” Studying and learning is what you're there for. A lot of sacrifices are being made for you. You will be pulled in different directions and you'll feel like giving up, but don’t. One of the best pieces of advice is to get involved. Get involved with a sorority. It is an instant family, instant friends, and an unlimited social life. Be open to let new friends in. Make decisions that push you to become a better person. Just believe in yourself!