Warrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Missouri

Do what you love. Don't be afraid to change your major. It's growth, not failure. And speaking of theater... No one's ever told you... but you're not a soprano. No amount of practice is going to change that. And really, you want to be an actress for all the wrong reasons. Acting isn't being someone else. It's being yourself. Loudly. Flamboyantly. Ridiculously. Where everyone can see you. Be brave enough to be yourself. Even if you haven't quite figured out who that is yet. It's okay to be impractical. Ask for help. It's okay not to know everything. Pay attention to which classes you enjoy. They're a good way to figure out your major, and a good place to make friends too. Friends are important. They're people you can listen to, talk to, and be silent with. They don't mind how weird you get on your off days. And they don't feel the need to always follow you into the bathroom – the conversation will keep till you get back. Most importantly – keep doing what you love.

Do what you love. Pay attention to which classes you enjoy. They're a good way to figure out your major and a good place to make friends too. Don't be afraid to change your major. It's growth, not failure. Be brave enough to be yourself, even if you haven't quite figured out who that is yet. It's okay to be impractical. Ask for help - it's okay not to know everything. Most importantly, keep doing what you love.

School doesn't prepare you for life on the outside. Its a closed ecosystem with minimal consequences for failure. You assimilate and regurgitate facts that have no meaning outside the context of school. But the papers are the worst. No one outside an academic setting wants to read academic writing. In real life you say what you need to say and then stop. You don't fill up the extra space with fluff and fancy words that no one knows the meaning of.

Ethan

Use KhanAcademy, develop a love for education and DON'T join the military.

Use KhanAcademy, develop a love for education and DON'T join the military.

Some people may not like it's location. Not being close to any large town there aren't a lot of jobs available and often it's hard to find housing.

UCM is great for anyone. It is located in a small town surrounded by farm land. The town has all the accomadations you could need. UCM's library is especially great, it's size and features are outmatched.

Robert

Place more emphasis on your school work now. The more you place on academics now, the less you will have to worry about it when your 10 years into your career in the military.

I loved the integration of other programs with the major sports programs on campus. This allowed virtually everyone to become involved with the major school events on campus.

Students were removed from the dorms when the electricity went out or extreme bad weather. Students living in the dorms had no other place to go.

UCM has great on-campus activities, and an amazing Rec Center. They pay their student athletes very well, and lots of scholarships are available for people who apply early (ie, almost a year before they intend to start), which I did not know when I transferred.

Forget about boys! Those men who are flattering you? They don't care about your future. I know 70% of your drive to move in with that guy is to get away from your Dad. Yeah, your dad sucks. Life will suck way worse when you get off track and miss your chance to go to college while it's still easy. What I wouldn't do to go to college straight from high school! When all the scholarship offers were still there, while my high school knowledge was still fresh and my health still at its peak. It's harder when you're older, married, have kids with expensive medical problems and are stuck working full-time. And if you'd have skipped moving in with McCain to go to school, you wouldn't be divorced twice by your 25th birthday for sure, and certainly wouldn't have had to file bankruptcy in 2010! Ditch the zeroes, make YOURSELF the hero, girl. Do it.

I wish I'd known the ins and outs of the transfer scholarships, I would have applied early and waited a few more months before transferring just so I could get the transfer scholarship.

Ryan

What I like most about the academics at UCM is the general class sizes. Most classes are 30 people or less, and the professors truly care about your success. They generally know your name and are determined to help you succeed in whatever you do. The best class I've had is my flying instruction. Being a Professional Pilot major, I have the opportunity to go out and learn to fly with quality instructors. The program is very concise and organized and is designed to push you through and succeed in your field.

In general, the students here are nice and very welcoming. As an incoming freshman, I did not know what to expect in going to college. However, some upperclassmen made my life easier than I expected so transitioning to college life was a breeze. I would say the main stereotype of students at UCM is definitely of the party type. Of course there are some exceptions, but a good majority of the students get out and party multiple times a week.

Thalia

The teachers at my school are great. Most of them know all their students names. My favorite teacher was my psychology teacher. For most of my classes class participation is key. The teachers like to get the students involved so the students will remember the information. I personally feel as though schooling is just to get a good job. If a good job did not come from getting a college degree I doubt many people would go to college.

At my school I would have to say the sterotypes are sorority girls, frat boys, sports people, foreign people, and then there is everyone else. Everyone seems to get along with one another though.

Kelsey

University of Central Missouri is the perfect size. It is located in Warrensburg, which is a small town, but the campus has over 11,000 students so it there are still a wide variety of opportunities. The best thing about UCM is the professors and classroom size. Most classes have 30-40 people and the professors are interested in their students. Unlike other colleges and universities, the kindness of our professors allow the transition from high school to college to be less stressful. When I talk about this school with my friends, they usually reply, "I heard it's a good school" or "It has anything that any other University in Missouri has to offer." Most of my time is spent in UTT music building because i am a music education major. UTT is where most of my friends have classes also and that's where we like to practice and catch up. The Administration doesn't reach out to students often, however the President is well seen around campus. There are no controversies going on right now. UCM prides their athletics, especially football. Every game the stands are always packed with UCM students and alumni. Every major takes pride in their major as well, so much so that there are designated halls for specific majors. The only unusual thing about UCM is that all parties occur during the week since hardly anyone stays on campus for weekends. An experience I'll always remember is at the beginning of the year and our hall had a "Pizza with the Professors" but the professors didn't show up. I got to meet so many cool people and i still hang out with them today. Students typically complain about the size of Warrensburg because typically students are from the Kansas City area and are not used to restaurants closing at 10 p.m.One thing I would change at UCM would be that i allow more restaurants to accept points that students get for the meal plan and have a Starbucks open every day of the week.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school because it wasn't too far away from home, but far enough so I couldn't always feel my parents breathing down my back. Being a music major, I saw the marching band and how devoted they were and I hadn't seen a college marching band who sounded and preformed as well as UCM's. UCM was not only my top choice for college, but after visiting campus for the first time it was my only choice. The huge thing that settled me on this school was when i met with the professors. They were excited to meet me and answered all of my questions even about different areas in college. And when i visited for a second time they remembered my name!

The most popular sport on campus is football. Other sports are talked about but not as much as football is talked about during football season. I am involved in the Vocal Jazz Ensemble. We sing popular jazz tunes and some pop music as well and we have lots of fun! Students always have their doors open, we have competitions to see how often we can keep our doors open. Athletic events seem to happen almost every night. Guest speakers come every once and awhile and we have tons of theater productions to go to all year around. There are lots of couples who have to the same major (like myself) but there are a few who venture out to find different people. My closest friends live on my hall or have my major as well. If i'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday i'm either studying or talking with my boyfriend. A tradition in marching band is the night before our last game lots of members get drunk and try and march the show at midnight. It's usually tradition that the cops get called as well. We also have ugly sweater days toward Christmas and for every holiday the cafeteria is decorated and serves different food for it. UCM is a party school, people typically party during the week and lots of people party on Thursday. The majority of people who are enrolled in UCM want to be in some type of sorority, however not everyone is. Last weekend i stayed on campus because Friday night I had a performance for Vocal Jazz at the Lake of the Ozarks and on Saturday my boyfriend was the D.J. for a rager in a different dorm. In Warrensburg you can go see a movie, go out to eat, check out what's going on on campus, or check out some games at every dorm help desk. Once again, off campus you can see a movie or go out to eat and even go to Wal-Mart! And if that isn't enough for ya Kansas City is only 45 min away.

There is a huge study abroad program at UCM so there is usually a student from a different country in every class. Religion isn't huge here but it also isn't uncommon. If someone is LGBT they just stay in the closet. Students looking for a big city experience would feel out of place here. Half of the students wear sweats to class, a quarter of students wear jeans and a somewhat nice t-shirt,and the other quarter wears really nice clothes (typically the sorority girls). Students here aren't judgmental and if someone thinks you are cool, they won't deny that they know you. If there are four lunch tables in the cafeteria then the first one is the frat boys and their brothers, the second is for the athletes and the people who like to work out all the time, the third is for people who have common interests like art and music, and the fourth is for people who like to eat alone and listen to their ipods. Most students are from Missouri, typically the Kansas City area, but some students are from Kansas as well. Students who attend UCM come from middle class or lower upper class families. I have never seen anything political on campus and I know lots of people who don't care about politics. Students don't talk about how much they'll earn one day and just worry about graduating.

I know all of my professor's names and they know my name as well. My favorite class is a Music Class called Aural Training one because the teacher is outgoing, funny, and is very helpful when teaching his students new things. Students typically study a few hours a night, depending how far into the semester it is. Towards the beginning not very much, but when it gets to the last month and to finals week, that's when most people start hitting the books. Class participation is very common, in fact, if a student doesn't participate in class the instructor will probably ask the student to leave. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class, some don't. It really depends on what the student is into or what their major is. Students are competitive, in the classes that i am in the students are always striving to get the best grade possible. Music of the World's Cultures is the most unique class I've taken. This general education class exposes students to music from all around the world and integrates listening to music where most of it is not from the western side of the world. My major is Vocal Music Education. The department of music is extremely friendly and takes a great interest into all of their students. Being in the vocal program i get to work with voice professors who all have different backgrounds in vocal music and they have taught me so much already. I only spend a few minutes after class with professors if i have questions which is usually right after class or I make an appointment if i am concerned with something going on in the class. This school doesn't expect every student to be a straight A student, but if you fail a class, you'll be put on academic probation. I feel that UCM has pretty good academic requirements, but there are still a few people who get accepted that i wonder how they got in. UCM is very geared toward getting a job. UCM holds a job and career fair once a year and has a career service website with job postings and applications to help students use their degree or to get jobs while at school.

Football players don't come to class most of the time, but other sports players actually do well in class. Frat kids are very dedicated to their Fraternity (or for girls Sorority) and spend most of their time with their brothers or sisters. Stoners come to class smelling like weed but go off campus to get high. You'll find the geeks studying, but enjoying the board games and the table tennis that the dorms have to offer.

Adam

UCM is a great school that seems small when you are in the process of looking for the right school for you, but once you are here you love it. The residence hall life is great. The school offers many activities and events that are put on for the students. All of the sports teams are always in the top 5 in their division. If there is one thing that I would change would be the food that is offered here. I would say school pride is average, many people support the sports teams and wear their colors, but it's not as boasted as the bigger colleges. Most of my time is spent in the beautiful rec center, playing basketball or working out. If I'm not at the recreation center I would be studying in the library or my dorm's lounge doing homework/hanging out. When I tell people that I go to University of Central Missouri they usually have never heard of it, but I think the word is starting to get out of how great this middle of Missouri-school is.

The stereotype is that we are unintelligent small-town kids.

No, I have heard many people say that this school is for hoosiers and hicks. But that stereotype is not true at all because even though this school has many small town students, they are all very nice and welcoming.

I am very happy that I went here. Before I started I was freaking out because I did not know too many people that were going to this school because it is 4 hours away from my home, but I am so thankful that I went here. This has been the best decision of my life and I don't regret it at all

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Some hot-button issues on campus is what is the executive board going to do to make our school better. Things change here, but nothing too drastic. Other than that I do not know of any.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best part is that it is really fun. The worst part is that it is so easy to get caught up in the social scene. If you can't stand up and tell others that you don't feel like going out some night then you will have a tough time in college.

What do students complain about most?

Students here complain the most about the food, but that's really it.

Every freshman should know before they start school is that if you don't want to step out of your comfort zone to meet other people and get involved then college isn't really your scene. College is intended to build academic success and social success. Be yourself and you will meet some wonderful people.

What's the dating scene like?

I am actually not too sure about the "dating scene" on campus. I know many people who met on campus and some of the clubs host events intended for people to meet each other, but other than that I'm not too sure. I am taken, sorry ladies.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done for me is the giant library that we have on campus. It was just make about 3 or 4 years ago so it is very update with the newest technology. This library is always quite and there is always a table our chair open to study at. It also has rooms which you can rent if you would like to be alone or if you are in a study group you can rent this room for an hour.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports on this campus are a lot better than I thought coming into this school. Each sport's season the school sends teams to the national championship tournaments. All of the teams are in the top 5 of there division so we are a very competitive sports school. The local people always come to support the teams. I just went to a basketball game this weekend. We won the MIAA championship for the 5th year in a row.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Personally, I am not a fan of our dining halls. I think the food plans our way too over priced for the quality of food. They are working on changing that problem though. The food court on campus consists of Chinese food, Taco Bell, Burger King, and a place like Subway. This is my favorite spot to eat. There is a pretty diverse selection of restaurants of campus and the best part is most of the deliver!

What are your classes like?

Since I am only a freshman most of my classes are lecture based, but I am currently taking an ecology lab that is very hands on. I enjoy these classes more and I have heard that the farther you get in your major, the more hands on the courses become. So I am excited about that.

Our campus is very pretty. The grounds crew on campus makes sure that there isn't any litter or trash on the ground. They keep the walls painted and the grass cut. The buildings all have an older look to them which is nice. Our recreation center was just finished last year and it consists of 6 basketball courts, two work out areas, Einstein's bagels, and a rock climbing wall. the campus is very nice and if you don't believe me come look for yourself.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend here in Warrensburg consists of sleeping in the mornings after a fun Friday or Saturday night and homework on Sunday. Some of the things I do on weekends are go downtown to thrift stores, go out to dinner, see a sports game, hang out in the dorm, play board games, work out, pick up basketball games, etc.

What are the most popular classes offered?

I am not really sure which classes are the most popular. I have heard all of the psychology courses are very interesting. For me, the teaching courses are very popular, but I think it just depends on how far you are in your major and which major you are wanting.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

We played a campus wide scavenger hunt in my dorm. It was the first week I was here and even though my team didn't win, it was still a great time.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

You probably have never heard of the University of Central Missouri because it is in a very small town, Warrensburg MO, but the word is actually starting to spread about how much potential this school has. Even though we dominated in popularity by the bigger schools like MIZZOU, we have everything that they have. The only difference is that their sports teams get more exposure because they are a Division I school while we are Division II. The best part about this school compared to a school like University of Missouri is that it is cheaper! (Everybody loves to save)

My favorite tradition that I have witnessed here is homecoming weekend. Thousands of people come out to the campus to watch the parade, tailgate, get free food and t-shirts, and go to the football game. It was a great experience for me.

When you step off campus what do you see?

I see a small town consisting of mostly apartments, fast food restaurants, small houses, woods, open fields, and Wal-Mart.

Even though we are a small school, we have an excellent campus. It is nice not having to wake up for class and leave thirty minutes early because your class is a 25 minute walk across campus. The campus has great up keep and looks gorgeous in all the seasons of the year.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are older than most, but they have everything you will need; a lounge where you can escape from your room to study or hang out, full package cable, great wireless internet, the furniture is older in my dorm, but they are working to get the new furniture like the rest of the dorms on campus. Overall my experience at the dorms couldn't be better. It is a great way to meet people!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I personally don't like big schools and I felt this was the perfect sized school for me. When I toured here I felt that the people were very nice, the facilities were kept in great shape, and the campus was beautiful. They also have a well-known teaching program which was another draw for me.

The most popular groups to join are the fraternities and sororities here on campus, of course. These groups pretty much run the school, but if you don't feel comfortable joining one of these organizations there are plenty others that may fit nicely for you. I'm in a club called Spotlight, which hosts all of the activities around campus throughout the year. We do things like show movies for free, host bingo nights once a month, poker tournaments, bring in comedians, etc. Many students have gone to a Spotlight event because they are so prevalent. When I am off campus I will go out to dinner or go shopping at some of the stores in downtown Warrensburg. I met my closest friends on the hall that my room is located in. The weekends can be fun, but it depends on how many people you know go home or stay here. If there are a lot of people staying in town then the weekend can be really fun. People party here every weekend, but the good thing is if you want to party you can, but if not you don't have to. It is not the only thing to do on the weekends.

UCM students are usually pretty nice. No matter what background a person comes from they seem to fit in really nice some where at this school. There are some divisions within the school students that are common in most schools because of race or status, but the students are still well mannered and accepting. Most students wear regular clothes like jeans, sweatshirts, UGG boots, tennis shoes, baseball hats, etc. In the dining hall certain people sit with certain people like the black people sit in the same place, some people enjoy eating by themselves, while others enjoy eating with a big group, it is a regular cafeteria. Most students at this school are from small towns in Missouri or Kansas City. There are a handful of students from St. Louis (like me) or from other states.

Yes most of my professors try to remember my name, but it's hard to do when the professor teaches 2 or 3 classes on the same subject matter. All of my teachers so far have been great at their jobs. My favorite class so far has been History from 1877 to Present. This class contained a large amount of students, but it was taught by the Dean of the History & Anthropology Department so it was very informative. Class participation is very common at UCM because almost all of the teachers take roll before each class begins. They use this to give extra points sometimes or just to see if you are trying hard in the class. I live in the Honors Dorm. It provides a great place to have conversations with other students about class matters or just talk about things going on in the world. I always to meet with my professors when I am having troubles. If I am unable to meet with them they always reply to my emails right away. I am in the secondary education program and I love it. My advisers are very helpful with whatever needs and concerns I may have. Overall I would have to say that the academics at UCM are great.

As I was thinking about coming to UCM, I was told that there are a lot of small town hillbilly students, but when I came here and got to know everyone this stereotype is completely wrong.

Evan

Commonly in America, those of African, Asian, Indigenous, and basically anything except European decent are viewed as minorities. As far as my observations go, the minority percentage at UCM is much more balanced with the other races and ethnicities. We have a large number of exchange students as well. Many of them come from Southeast Asia, while others come from Western European countries. When it comes to social interaction, UCM does a fine job sponsoring organizations that promote diversity. For example, this year I was a part of UCM's Marching Mules, our university's marching band. Just in our 180 member marching band, more than seventy different majors were present, and less than half were music majors! Being involved in marching band exposed me to a variety of different people that I would never have met.

Heather

There are better schools out there; I won't deny that. However, I still think that this one has some very good qualities. They have great scholarship programs for freshmen, and there are more than a few opportunities to get involved on campus. Their treatment of transfer students leaves a lot to be desired, but once you get into your classes, the professors and advisers are all very helpful. The college is small enough that the class size doesn't often go over 25, but at the same time the college is large enough to have state accreditation and recognition. Despite the small campus, there is enough diversity that you never feel like you're going to a small school. Not to mention, the tuition is very reasonable, especially compared to some other state universities.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Education. I don't mean in the sense that you're getting an education - I mean anything circulating around teaching, especially in public schools. Training teachers is one of the biggest, if not the single largest, thing that UCM does. So, everything from curriculum to teaching techniques to changes in education legislation are always being talked about.

I think that the Discover UCM tours are always a good thing, especially when they are held during the day when actual students are wandering around. That way, the prospective students can have the chance to interact with enrolled students, not just overdose on PR stuff.

Once again, it depends on what exactly you're looking at. If you're looking at the stereotypes of those that actually attend UCM like I described, then yeah. They are bound to be right because the students that came up with them are actually there to see them. If you're looking at outsiders' stereotypes, they are probably not as true.

I think this depends on who you're asking. For the students that actually go there, the stereotype is lots of people in sweatpants and sweatshirts doing one of two things: freaking out and drinking lots of coffee trying to pass, or just there for the social experience and not caring.

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends are packed with opportunities. There's Greek stuff, sports, plays (I really like that part), and other stuff. Not to mention, you can hang out with your friends if you like, or you can go home for the weekend.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

I've never lived in the dorms because I've always been a commuter student, so I can't vouch for the dining hall. However, the Union has tons of options for food. There's Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Chic-Fil-A, a sushi place, a sub place, and some random general foodstuffs. I really like the sub place, but if none of that appeals to you, you can always step off campus, and find just about any kind of food you want to eat in town.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The most awesome part is definitely the variety of people that you get to meet - students from all over the world, literally! It's really cool to meet all of the great academics and to experience their views, especially the overseas students, who bring their culture with them. However, Fridays are definitely the worst part. Those that do drink, tend to do so on Thursday nights, so Friday mornings tend to be very... sober, if you pardon the pun.

What's the dating scene like?

There's plenty of socialization to be had if that's what you're looking for. You can always find something to do with a person or other couples, depending on your preference.

What's the Greek scene like?

It's everywhere! All the time, there is Greek stuff going on. They are running drives, recruiting, and stuff. There are so many letters all over the place that I've almost memorized the Greek alphabet, even though I didn't go Greek myself.

What are your classes like?

Classes in my major are pretty hard now, but that's because I'm up in the upper-level courses. It's a lot of work and paper writing, but it's okay by me. I love my major and what I do, so it's kind of fun. My other classes are a piece of cake. I've got most electives left, so I just take what I want.

Tell us about your professors.

I love my professors! They are all very helpful, and they all love what they do. Then again, I've been there long enough that I know which ones to take and which ones to avoid under penalty of death. If you're looking for advice on which ones to pick, you can go to ratemyprofessors.com, but you'll actually get better recommendations if you talk to the students in that major. The ones that go on Rate My Professor tend to be ones that either love the class or hate it, so it can be a little difficult to get a fair idea.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Our games are always a pretty big deal. You see the red and black out everywhere. At the same time, it's really cool to have those athletes in your classes with you. It's not uncommon to have brief little discussions or congratulations regarding how they did.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The Kirkpatrick Library, for sure. They have a ton of books that you can reference for your research and they even have a whole computer lab downstairs.

You need to know your adviser. Look up their name, meet with them, and make friends with them. They will be critical to you making it to graduation.

When you step off campus what do you see?

There is not much to Warrensburg except for the campus itself. It's your pretty typical town: some residential areas, fast food restaurants, and a Walmart.

I really like how centralized everything is. It's easy to find everything that you're looking for. I think that can be a big problem with the bigger campuses - it's too easy to get lost there.

Describe the dorms.

I actually never stayed in the dorms. I've been a commuter student my entire career. However, I have been inside of a couple of them. There are too many people for my tastes.

Greek Life is probably the biggest involvement. You see t-shirts and sweaters with the letters everywhere!

One really interesting thing that I have realized about college is that it's unique in that this is probably the only time in your life that it doesn't matter where you came from or where you're going. A brand new freshman from a wealthy family could be in the same class as a person who is one month away from finishing their masters, and they are all treated the same. They are all on an even playing field, trying to do the same thing. The demographic tends to be slightly more white than ethnic, and it tends to be students from middle-class families in Missouri. However, there is a pretty wide variety, and there are definitely peers to be found.

I'm an English major, and I absolutely love the department! The professors know and remember my name: I'll never forget the one time that I was sitting in a hallway waiting for another class to start during the summer. A professor walked by that I had taken only for one semester a year prior. However, he stopped and walked back to me. He called me by name and then mentioned that he noticed my name on his roster for one of his classes in the fall. He proceeded to inform me that if I sent him an email, he would send me a copy of the fall syllabus in advance. The advisers are incredibly helpful. There have been instances where they met with me for anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour in order to help me figure out what I was doing. They do everything that they can to help you succeed. The environment is very friendly and familiar. It's not uncommon to find a group of English majors in the lounge studying for exams together. We all collaborate to try and do the best that we can.

People say that college students are simply a bunch kids that just got out of their parents house and are going to have their stomach pumped for alcohol poisoning when they aren't busy gaining the freshman fifteen. This is absolutely not true! There are tons of students that are here because they want to be, including a large portion of non-traditional students and students that are studying abroad. You're sure to find plenty of people that not only care about what they are doing, but actually have a passion for it.

University of Central Missouri administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.