Warrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Missouri

Joseph

UCM is great because of the faculty, plain and simple. Most class sizes are small, but even in a lecture hall setting the teacher knew my name and cared about my progress in the class. There is lots of one-on-one time with faculty which means you will always have someone to seek advice from. Warrensburg isn't the biggest town, but there are plenty of things to do and the friends you make will ensure that no matter what you're doing you are having a good time.

The academics at UCM are top-notch. I can tell that each of my teachers are extremely knowledgeable in their respective field. For the most part classes are interesting and entertaining. I have plenty of one-on-one time with my teachers and I have even hung out with some of the teachers in my major outside of a school setting. I always know that there are teachers who care for me and who I can always turn to if I need advice.

I would say there is no one stereotype to describe the students at UCM. There are definitely members of any stereotype that you can think of, but the atmosphere is incredibly diverse and supportive of all interests.

The best thing about my school would surely be the school spirit. I rarely find a college student without it. When students get involved on campus they get more out of their college experience One thing that I would change about the University of Central Missouri is really nothing. I love this school. From the amazing price range to the wonderful teachers. I think that my school is just right. The class sizes are not too big and not too small, they are usually about 30 students. When I tell people that I go to this school, their reaction is excited. I have never had a bad reaction from telling people that I attend UCM. On campus, I spend most of my time studying in my room or hanging out with friends. When you are in college you have a responsibility to you education, and I surely take that seriously. UCM is a typical college town. My opinion of the school's administration is fairly good. If you have a question, it will be answered in a timely manner. However, I have had issues regarding the transfer of some files to UCM. This may have been a slight hiccup in their business handling.. There hasn't been any large controversy on campus. There is so much school pride here at UCM! The students here take their sports seriously. The unusual thing about the school is that there may be a ghost in Yeater. There hasn't been any experience here that is of any special quality. There hasn't been any frequent student complaints that I am aware of.

The stereotype of students at my school is all we do here is party. I whole heartedly don't believe that this stereotype is accurate.

The stereotype of students at my school is that all we do is party. Although partying is a sizable percentage of what the students do here, we are high achieving in academics and there is a lot more to UCM students than partying. Of course we have our jocks, frat kids, and nerds, but who doesn't!I think that people have the wrong idea about UCM. We are a great school with great students and professors.

My college is GREAT! I think that there is a little something for everyone here.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Some hot-button issues on campus are racial diversity and homosexuality. These issues are hot-button because nobody really feels comfortable discussing them. On one parade float, there were some rude things written about these two groups. I don't think these issues are that big of a deal to turn people away from UCM, because these issues are "hot-button" everywhere you go.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The most popular classes offered are the GenEd classes because everybody needs them and they are the first to go. Another popular class is sign language, people like this class because they can get out of the requirement for a foreign language (this may have changed). The most popular classes really depends on what you like, because chances are if you really like a class so will other people.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

I would say the best parts of the social scene is the opportunity to meet a diverse set of individuals. The worst part of this scene would be that people get into the wrong crowd and really mess their life up.

What do students complain about most?

Many students complain about the homework or out of class readings but you must realize that we are now in college and this is a part of our life. In my opinion the complaints are not justified.

Before starting at UCM. Every freshman should try not to be too consumed with partying. Make studying a habit. Make as many friends as you can. Get involved in an organization. Practice being on you own, because your mommy is not here to hold your hand. Know that college is a clean slate for you to start over if you have done wrong in the past.

What's the dating scene like?

I personally don't participate in the dating scene because i am currently in a relationship. Other than the parties held on the weekends, I have not seen a dating scene.

What's the Greek scene like?

The greek scene on campus is big big big. It seems like every other student you walk by is involved in some sort of fraternity or sorority. I don't have too much insight on these groups because I am currently not involved and do not wish to be involved at the moment. For more information about these organizations, you should look up GreekLife in the UCM website. There you will find useful information regarding their traditions and qualifications.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done is not on a freshman floor. These kids are typically loud and immature especially at night. You should probably go to the library which has awesome study rooms just waiting for you.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors here are excellent. I have not had a bad one yet. In order for your professors to get to know you, you MUST participate in class discussions. At UCM, the professors are hands on and reliable. If you have a question, the professor will email you in a timely manner or you can go see them during their office hours which are pretty flexible. In order to impress them you must complete the 3 P's, be present, prepared, and participate.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene here is pretty wild. EVERYONE has school spirit whether it be for the volleyball team, the basketball team, or the football team. I don't have much info on intermural sports, but i do hear that they are fun and a great way to make friends and get involved on campus.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes are small- except for the science classes that are usually in huge lecture halls. The classes here are pretty engaging because we have wonderful teachers here at UCM. Many of my classes are discussion based which may aid to your type of learning. In one word, our classes are fun.

To someone who has never seen my college, they may view it as a typical college in a brochure. We have very old buildings and a lot of land. We have a newly improved recreational center equipped with a rock wall. The exercise equipment has tv's and ipads on it. All the buildings are a grey color- not too exciting but it is college.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend at UCM is what you make of it. If you like to party, you might consider it to be really fun and exciting, however; if you are not included in this crowd you might have a boring weekend studying, sleeping, and eating. I would encourage new students to make as many friends as you can on campus so that you are not lonely. Getting involved in activities on campus can also help you with having a "fun weekend". We have a lot of volunteer opportunities that arise on the weekend and it would behoove yourself and others if you participated.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day on campus I will never forget was fun before finals. It was like the most fun I have ever had. There was a bubble bar, dance dance revolution (which I love), play dough making, dog tag making, a photo booth, and one of those blow up things where you fight people with giant Q-tips. Along with these fun activities, they had a lot of free food and prizes that could be won. Fun before finals, was a good way to take the stress out of finals week.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

My school is quaint. There are really cool buildings designated by a certain study area. If you live on campus, there is not a long walk to the buildings that you are looking for. Everything is in walking distance. The teachers are awesome, and really care for each individual student. We have a lot of squires around campus, which at first seems bizarre, but in time you will get used to it. We have a very close knit community here, where it seems as if everyone knows everyone. I think you will like it here because UCM feels like a home away from home.

Our campus traditions include Home coming. For this event we have parades and a week of fun activities. Also, we have fun before finals. This event has been the most fun I have ever had on campus. It is about 4 hours and there are TONs of activities which include a bubble bar, dog tag making, bingo, play dough making, and much much more.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When I step off campus i see a small town. There isn't too much to do here off campus. There is a Walmart, Payless, Maurices, and a CATO. The local people here are pretty nice and they keep to themselves. I don't know of any popular places off campus.

The most unique thing about our campus is the diversity. Everybody seems to get along. What makes my school stand out are the amazing teachers.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are really nice. Most of them have new furniture. There is adequate storage space for both you and your roomate's needs. We have a lot of activities that go on in the dorms. It is a great place to meet new people and get involved on campus. In Fitz,where i live, all the plug-ins are on one side so you will need many extension cords.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend this college because it was very affordable and relatively close to my house. I also liked the small class sizes as they fit will with my learning style.

The most popular organizations on campus are the greek organizations. The groups I'm involved with are NSCS, the honors college, and psychology club. Students in dorms usually don't leave their doors open for obvious reasons.Stealing. The athletic events are insane, there is so much school spirit. The guest speakers get a lot of attention from students are residents along the campus. I haven't been to any theatre productions. I have not seen a dating scene especially because I am in a relationship. I met most of my friends either in class or in the dorms. I am NEVER awake at 2a.m. There is a home coming tradition that happens each year. People party quite a bit here. To me sororities and fraternities are not that important, to other people they are life. Last weekend i went home. On saturday night you can go a party and not drink haha. I don't do anything off campus.

I haven't had much experience with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, or any other groups on campus. I don't think any student would feel out of place here, it is pretty welcoming. Most students wear sweat pants, yoga pants, leggings, and hoodies to class. Different types of students interact all the time at UCM. We are a very diverse school. All the tables of students i the dining hall are all diverse, there is no set stereotype or such. A lot of the students are from St. Louis many other of them are from small towns around warrensburg. Most students here seem to be of middle class background. The students here don't seem to be too involved in politics. Students don't talk about how much they will earn one day. They are too concerned with their classes.

Professors only know your name if you speak up in class, and who knows, one day you might need them for a reference so it will be in your best interest for them to know who you are. My favorite class has been race,class, and gender with Miss Greer. My least favorite class is Geology. I spend about 40 percent of my time studying, and I know most students probably spend less. Students really get into and enjoy in depth class discussion, it is a time where you can really experience both sides of a subject. I hear all the time students having intellectual conversations outside of class. Here, students really get into their school work. My major is psychology I spend a lot of time with professors outside of class clarifying notes, and furthering discussion concepts. I feel great about the schools academic requirements. They aren't too tedious and they aren't too loose. I think that the education at this school geared more toward learning for its own sake.

The stereotype of the students at my school are stoners and low achievers. This stereotype is in fact not accurate. I have found that many of the students here care a lot about their future careers and they certainly strive for excellence. With college comes the typical jock, frat kids, stoners, and geeks, which is nothing new. The University of Central Missouri is fun and exciting and I encourage anyone to take an interest in this college!

Anna

UCMO is a very close knit community. The class sizes are typically small with professors that know you by name. Once you decide on a major you become very close to fellow students and professors. Students can always be found studying in the department computer labs on campus, in the library, or in the union. Typically classes are highlighted by interesting open discussion which gives every student an opportunity to participate. I am a psychology and sociology major at UCMO and plan on graduating in May of 2013. I work within the psychology department as a teaching assistant, offer tutoring to fellow students, and am working on undergraduate research.

Many of the students at UCMO are from small rural areas so I would say a common stereotype is that we are narrow minded or hicks. However, our campus is surprisingly diverse and welcoming.

Alison

The best thing about the University of Central Missouri is the campus feeling. The school is large enough that you don't necessarily see people you do not want to see on campus. However, the campus is small enough that you do not need a car to get around to the academic buildings and dorms. To change UCM, I would add some kind of fun attraction to the town where students can go and have fun. The size of UCM is just right. There is a lot of school pride, especially when it comes to basketball and football. It is a fun atmosphere on campus on days where those teams play. Something unusual about this school is that there is a bowling alley in the University Union. We also have a brand new student recreation center that is very environmentally friendly. I think the most frequent student complaints would be regarding the dining halls. Their hours are strange during the weekends and it is hard to go for four hours during the middle of the day without any food from them.

I have not had any experience with racial, religious, LGBT or other such groups on campus. Although, I know that there are groups like this. I don't think any student would feel out of place at this school. We have such a diverse population of international and exchange students, non traditional students, and students from all over the state and country. Most students are from Missouri. I would say middle class backgrounds are the most prevalent. Students do talk about how much they'll earn one day, but not in a way to degrade anyone else.

The most popular organizations are probably the fraternities and sororities. There is also a group called Spotlight which puts on tons of fun, free events for students each week. I am involved in the honors fraternity Phi Sigma Pi and I really enjoy being part of the group. I am also on the cross country and track teams. We have a small crowd who watches us compete when we're at home, but our sport isn't as popular as basketball or football. I would say athletic events are the most popular events besides some that Spotlight puts on. People party pretty much every weekend on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night. On a sober Saturday night, you could see a movie, go bowling, rent a movie to watch, get a group from your dorm together for a game night, or anything else you would want to do. Off campus, there is not very much to do here in Warrensburg.

The academics at UCM are great. Most of the professors take the time to learn your name even in a class as large as 50 students. They have office hours where you can go for individual help with homework or other questions regarding the course. Students study for a couple hours at least three times a week. Some study in the library or the union or in their dorms. Students can be competitive depending on the class and area of study. The most unique class that I have taken is Freshman Seminar. It was only one credit hour, but we learned about all the things that freshman need to know to be successful. My major is actuarial science and it is in the department of mathematics and computer science. The advisers in my department have always been very helpful and willing to meet with me when my schedule allows. I think the school's academic requirements provide students a chance to be well-rounded upon graduation. The education at UCM is geared toward both getting a job and learning for its own sake. They take their 92% job placement within 6 months of graduation very seriously, but teachers also provide information to enhance student learning.

The most common stereotype of students at the University of Central Missouri is Party Kids. This stereotype is fairly accurate. Although there are many students who party a lot of the time, there is still a good amount of students who do not party at all. If you don't look for parties, then you won't find any. Not everyone is involved in partying.

Tiffany

Here at UCM the whole town follows what is going on around campus. Warrensburg is most definitely a college town. Students support the sports teams and have strong school pride. The administration is great. The president of the university is very student driven; he wants the school to be centered around the students, our wants and needs. One complaint is the parking, sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough of it, and you have to fight for a spot, but if you live on/ close to campus you can just walk and avoid parking all together.

Athletics are big at UCM, they are very well support both by students and those associated with the university and by the community. Greek life is also a big deal on campus. Chances are you will either know at least one person involved in a sorority or fraternity. Warrensburg does not have the most exciting things to do on the weekends so people either hang out with friends or go to the city and surrounding towns for entertainment. We do have some shopping, a movie theater, a bowling alley on campus, and lots of resturants. Every year in October we have the homecoming parade and football game that the whole community gets involved in.

The students are diverse, there is a little bit of everything at UCM. I don't think anyone would feel out of place. Most of the students are aware of what is going on in the world, both politically and environmentally. Students wear a wide variety of things to class. Sweats are a definite favorite, along with casual jeans and a tee, and sometimes people are more dressed up and trendy.

Most professors take the time to learn your name, unless the class sizes are too big, but even then they usually have a pretty good idea of who you are. The largest class I have ever had was 100 students. I am a fashion merchandising major, and we are trying to become the only accredited fashion program in the U.S.The instructors get to know the students by name and they show genuine interest in your life. And they are very approachable by during class and outside of class. The most unique, and fun class I have taken would have to be either the apparel construction class or the professional image management class. At UCM education is important, but they also have a career services office that helps students find and prepare for a job. Everyone there genuinely wants students to succeed.

Many people may think that the students here are hicks or hillbillies, country kids with no cultural experience; simply because our school is located in Missouri. However, that stereotype is very inaccurate! We have tons of exchange students from different countries and cultures, students from the city, and yes even some from the country. There is a very nice mix of backgrounds and cultures here at UCM.

Preston

Anyone can say they know how to do something that they may have picked up through some kind of job experience, but those that can show a diploma or degree from an educational institution have the ammo to say they really learned the trade. I am very passionate about health and fitness and want to excel in it one way or another. Therefore, I am will to participate in whatever programs and activities which are needed to complete my goals in this institute. I am very committed to fulfilling my goals and I will be pushing my self to the limit in aspects to succeed and graduate if giving the opportunity that may fulfill my dream.

Morgan

Beautiful campus with a great focus on academics, community/campus involvement, and being a green community, also makes a great effort to make students feel at home.

I would warn myself about the time that it really takes to get all of your assignments done and done well. Also the amount of textbook reading that it requires, you have to read for almost every class that you take. I would recommend taking a lighter load your first semester or two to get the hand of college life. Getting involved your freshman year in campus organizations is a must because the longer your in school you get into your habits and you feel like as an older student you can't jump into an organization as well. Also plan to get highly involved to get things on your resume but to keep in mind that your number one priority should be your classes. Getting a job your first year may or may not be a good idea, if you have great time management it could work out just fine. Finances are a big worry to students so make sure that from the start you create a budget for yourself and stick to it throughout the year and make adjustments as needed for the future years, that way you can know what you can spend.

I find the size of the school the best thing about it, it's not a huge school but it's not itty bitty either; it's the perfect size to get to know others on campus and see them often, you get to see most people on campus, unlike a large school where you would only see those that were on the part of campus that you are at the most. The campus is also very beautiful.

Carrie

If I was to go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would not know where to start giving advice for the transition to college. I would say at first, to become employed and work part time on nights and weekends while asking your employer for overtime opportunities during the holiday seasons. Start a special savings account with the money that you earn from your hard work and ask your family if they would be willing to match the amounts you put in. Take out a small percent of your paycheck for your entertainment and put the rest in savings. You must have a nest egg of financial resources for the times of transition will require random expenses that accumulate quickly. Experience a taste of the world but do not get pulled into a life of partying, it is ok to be different and to do your own thing. Get on a sleep schedule that you can stick to and wake up early, no more sleeping in. Work out to get your circulation going and your brain stimulated, take a nutrition class so that you know what your body needs to perform its best.

Ebony

I would remind them that the college life has much to offer and it is very easy to get off track with all of the freedom and activities it has to offer but to rememeber that the school work should always come first. It is nice to have fun and meet new people but to always make sure they rememeber what they came to school for. College can be the best years of your life with many memories, but it is also a large step into paving the way for your future.

The worst thing about my school would be the location. The town of Warrensburg is very small and does not have much to offer for activities and other neccesities. The town can be a "ghost town" majority of the time which can make the down time very slow and boring.

Brian

UCM is known well for its abundance of law enforcement

UCM is known well for its abundance of law enforcement

Even though you think you know what you want to do, you will be opened up to a world of new opportunities and ideas through learning.

The town where the school is located is quaint.

University of Central Missouri administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.