Warrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Missouri

Morgan

Beautiful campus with a great focus on academics, community/campus involvement, and being a green community, also makes a great effort to make students feel at home.

I would warn myself about the time that it really takes to get all of your assignments done and done well. Also the amount of textbook reading that it requires, you have to read for almost every class that you take. I would recommend taking a lighter load your first semester or two to get the hand of college life. Getting involved your freshman year in campus organizations is a must because the longer your in school you get into your habits and you feel like as an older student you can't jump into an organization as well. Also plan to get highly involved to get things on your resume but to keep in mind that your number one priority should be your classes. Getting a job your first year may or may not be a good idea, if you have great time management it could work out just fine. Finances are a big worry to students so make sure that from the start you create a budget for yourself and stick to it throughout the year and make adjustments as needed for the future years, that way you can know what you can spend.

I find the size of the school the best thing about it, it's not a huge school but it's not itty bitty either; it's the perfect size to get to know others on campus and see them often, you get to see most people on campus, unlike a large school where you would only see those that were on the part of campus that you are at the most. The campus is also very beautiful.

Carrie

If I was to go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would not know where to start giving advice for the transition to college. I would say at first, to become employed and work part time on nights and weekends while asking your employer for overtime opportunities during the holiday seasons. Start a special savings account with the money that you earn from your hard work and ask your family if they would be willing to match the amounts you put in. Take out a small percent of your paycheck for your entertainment and put the rest in savings. You must have a nest egg of financial resources for the times of transition will require random expenses that accumulate quickly. Experience a taste of the world but do not get pulled into a life of partying, it is ok to be different and to do your own thing. Get on a sleep schedule that you can stick to and wake up early, no more sleeping in. Work out to get your circulation going and your brain stimulated, take a nutrition class so that you know what your body needs to perform its best.

Ebony

I would remind them that the college life has much to offer and it is very easy to get off track with all of the freedom and activities it has to offer but to rememeber that the school work should always come first. It is nice to have fun and meet new people but to always make sure they rememeber what they came to school for. College can be the best years of your life with many memories, but it is also a large step into paving the way for your future.

The worst thing about my school would be the location. The town of Warrensburg is very small and does not have much to offer for activities and other neccesities. The town can be a "ghost town" majority of the time which can make the down time very slow and boring.

Brian

UCM is known well for its abundance of law enforcement

UCM is known well for its abundance of law enforcement

Even though you think you know what you want to do, you will be opened up to a world of new opportunities and ideas through learning.

The town where the school is located is quaint.

Arriana

My classmates are very enthusiastic and eager to learn, and are polite and helpful.

I have gotten a sense of Independence and I've grown as a person. My experiences in college have shaped me and encouraged me to be very goal-oriented, and have also allowed me to be open-minded about other people from different walks of life, ranging from their views, religion preferences and so forth.

Someone who’s very eager to learn and to socialize with their peers should attend this school, and who is interested of being part of a community and giving back to the community as well.

Iris

So far, I've gotten experience in being on time and responsible, because I have realized no one really cares but your own self. No one is going to hold my hand through everything, or keep giving me more chances to make up for everything. Its either you do it or you don't. Sometimes we need that wake up call. I love college so far, I love the people, and I love how independent it makes me feel. It's nice to feel like you are doing your own thing, your own way.

Mollie

From my experience at UCM, I have gained some valuable knowledge. Firstly, I have learned a lot about myself. A small school environment is just not right for me, and I plan on soon going to a bigger school. I am extremely concerned with helping others, and the environment here does not exactly foster that. I think this is a good school for students who are not looking for a challenge. I would love the opportunity to challenge myself more, and scholarships would be a great opportunity for me to go to a bigger school and further expand my horizons. There is so much I want to do with my life, and I feel that this is not the best place for me to be. I've learned a lot about my relationships with other people. I really enjoy helping people, and I think it is easy for people to talk to me. I've started considering a degree in counseling. Everything that I want to do with my life really revolves around changing the world for the better, and attending this school has helped my solidify my goals and start taking steps to reach them.

The best thing about Central Missouri is the proximity of the classes to the dorms. Everything is easy to get to, and doesn't take more than 5 minutes walking time.

I brag about how cute the clothes from the bookstore are.

Eric

The thing I got the most out of my college experience was, everything I was taught in my classes could be used not only in the field of teaching but for any job I would want to apply for. This has been valuable to me because I recieved my degree in physical education but got a teaching job in the special education area.

The best thing about UCM is how dedicated the facilty and staff are to the university. They are this way because they believe in what the goals of the university are and do everything they can to help the students achieve.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend UCM is one that does not believe in hard work.

Terri

Returning back to school has given me confidence in all areas of my life. I have managed to accomplish a 4.0 GPA over the course of the two years I have attended college. Every semester I am closer to my goal of becoming a behavior specialist with foster children. I started out volunteering at a local group foster home, and this was the catalyst that prompted me to go back to school and finish the degree I started years before. I have stepped out of my comfort zone and I have tried new things. Recently I enrolled in a Spanish class, and now I am considering minoring in Spanish along with getting my human services degree. Being bilingual will benefit me once I am in the workforce because the area in which I live has a high concentration of hispanic people. I have enjoyed every minute of school since my return. I am focused, and I feel proud of my accomplishments. I look forward to transfering to a university next year, and really focusing on the classes for my major. It has been a long road, but I am half way there.

University of Central Missouri administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.