Edmond, OK
University of Central Oklahoma

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Oklahoma

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would have a lot of advice. I would tell myself to look into more colleges, rather than just settling for a local community college. I would explain that I would be challenged more and that college is more than just an adacdemic experience. Now I have learned that it's important to find a college campus that fits one best. I would also tell myself to take my high school classes more seriously. As important as it is to make memories to look back on, taking one's studies seriously will help prepare for the future. One last thing, take the ACT as many times as possible, it will help open more doors every time you improve your score. Being proative towards one's future during high school is more important than students realize, as it will impact the rest of your life.

sara

we are known for the forensics program

we are known for the forensics program

I would tell my self that i would need to learn how to time manage when it comes to transitioning into college. Time is a big essence to college you have a lot of classes and work to do, so i think time management would be the only thing i would tell my self to work on and get it down to a 'T"

I wish I would have known more about the campus life before coming, its not bad but it could be more spirit.

Myles

They seem like very nice people. Many of them (as far as I know) hang around and do normal college kid things. I've only been in my new classes for a week and a half so far, so I don't really have that much of a grasp on many of them yet.

Assuming I go back to the very beginning of Senior year, I would tell myself to apply to more scholarships, and generally try and be more active in school activities. I would also tell myself to keep looking for other means of employment, as my job at the time was a little bit too stressful and low-paying for it to be worth it while I was in college. Most importantly, I'd tell myself to relax. College (so far) hasn't been anywhere NEAR as stressful and time-consuming as I imagined. In fact, the incresed freedom to choose my schedule and study things I'm actually interested in learning has actually improved my study habits and grades signifigantly. The amount of time and freedom you gain once you're out of the traditional school system is liberating, and the courses aren't a monolith of papers and all-nighters like some would have me to believe. You still have to WORK at it, of course, but you actually have some semblance of control over the matter.

It's kind of hard to find the clubs? One thing I've been meaning to do is find a club, in order to try to make more friends. I think the campus sets aside a couple of days during the first one-two weeks for clubs to hang around and interest folks, but its almost always during times I'm in class. The clubs themselves have their own websites, however, the only downside is that the ones I'm interested in don't post meetup information that much.

Sierra

UCO is mainly focused on the student success, its great.

UCO is mainly focused on the student success, its great.

Apply for scholarships, you need to take advantage of any "free" money that is out there. Also, be open minded about what you want to major in, don't waste your money on something that you don't even know you for sure want to do. Choose wisely on your major, you have to be happy with what you do the rest of your life.

The only frustrating thing would be parking, what campus doesn't have terrrible parking?

Alexis

Push for your dreams, do not let anyone or anything hold you back, you are completely capable of succeding at a large university. Do not be afraid of people. Get out there let your voice be heard and get involved. Everyone is looking for new friends, not just you. Things will work out, more people have gone before you and made it, now it is your turn to show the world what you are cappable of and you have it in you. Just let it out! Go get em'!

The best thing about UCO is the small class size, it really gives the students an opportunity to connect with the professors and get help whenever it is needed.

I wish that I would have known how small it actually is, I knew it was going to be small but who knew I would see the same faces on a daily basis. I went to a huge High school and am ready for the larger university feel of things.

Nismah

I remember vividly many moments during my time in high school in which I would ponder over the seemingly inexplicable environment I experienced daily. One thing was clear for me- I would not allow myself to get caught up with a "bad crowd," so to speak. I had good support from my mother and other family members, so I never struggled with drugs, alcohol or promiscuos behavior. I had good grades, wonderful friends and was achieveing great things for myself. At the time it seemed as if I was riding the perfect track to success. Looking back, I realize now that I was missing an imperative aspect of life that would have changed my own and many others'. See, it was not enough for me to simply stay away from the bad things and the difficult people. If I could give any bit of advice to my senior self, it would be to invest in the lives of others while I could. I had what I needed to truly succeed- but, alas, it is not just about myself. Reaching out to others and making a difference in their lives is what matters. It can change the future.

Guadalupe

If I had the opportunity to time travel, I would go back to the fond memories of my ninth grade year in high school. In that time period, I would tell myself who my “real” friends are, and ignore the “fakes.” I would motivate myself to study, work harder, and repeat to myself that everything is worth it. In doing this, I believe I could have excelled more in the high-school environment overall. Most importantly, if I had this opportunity I would have encouraged myself to obtain an AA degree before graduating high-school because afterwards, the worst is over, and all I would have to do is concentrate on what is important to me, such as my bachelor’s degree, what university I would be attending, and what major I choose. I feel that if I had the opportunity to talk to my “past-self” I could have eventually moved from my parents house and started living on my own long ago. However, I am happy with where I am at now in Polk State College, I am proud of being an eagle, and having the opportunity of attending this spectacular school.

My classmates can be describe as unique, each and everyone of them is different. They are all from a different back ground, and a lot of them from different countries and cultures.

Knowing what I know now about the college transition I would tell myself to take more concurrent classes so I could get more of my credits out of the way. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships because it is always smart to be prepared and have money for your schooling. I would tell myself to be as involved as I can and to make everything I do fun, because school is shcool and it is what you make of it.

The worst thing about the University of Central Oklahoma is that if you are not involved in greek life you basically don't exist.

Brandon

Do not wait until the last minute is one of the many phrases you'll be hearing and is undoubtedly the most accurate. Once you graduate things will only get harder, especially financial wise. You'll be presented with several oppotunities to apply for scholarship programs that will be beneficial towards paying for college. I told myself "oh, i have plenty of time to this before i graduate." now I'm struggling to pay for my first semester, this is not something that can be done with the snap of your fingers. Another thing would be not to hesistate, I had to re-take the ACT because I missed it by 1 point, but ultimately decided not to because I knew money was tight. If i had decided to pay, then I would probably not be in the situation I'm in right now. So what I'm trying to say is never let yourself waver because of money issues, always take the chance because by doing so it could potentially be one of your greatest assets. Always remember that by spending a little now, will lead to prosperity in the near future. Be wise in making your decisions.

University of Central Oklahoma administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.