Edmond, OK
University of Central Oklahoma

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Central Oklahoma

Faith

The best college for students is one where they can enhance their learning, focuses on diversity, and one that focuses on one's particular interests.

The best thing about this school is the academic program. This school allows individuals to learn the necessary principles that will help them in their career.

Individuals that should attend this school should be self-motivated and interested in gain knowledge that will help them in their careers.

James

My classmates are to diverse to summarize in one sentence.

My classmates are to diverse to summarize in one sentence.

Just go to several campuses and feel them out. Forget about the statistics. When you find a place where you feel comfortable, you'll know. If I would've done that my first year of college, I would've ended up in a much better school than I did. Because I let statistics and scholarships guide me, I had the stress of hating the first university I attended, as well as the stress of trying to transfer to UCO during finals of my second term. Let your feelings guide through the school selection process. You have to deal with it for at least four years.

The cost. It is far cheaper than surrounding schools for an education that is almost as good.

Josephine

Finding the right college and making the best of the college experience is a difficult but rewarding process. I am one of the lucky ones, my college choice was easy, and to date the experience has been rewarding. To find the right college, I stared with identifying those things that were important to me. What degree programs did the college offer, did the college offer the sport I wanted to play, was the college not too big, yet not to small. I wrote these items down and ranked them, keeping me on track with my pending decision. I spent many hours with high school counselors, coaches and college advisors. I made a list of schools and did some internet research on my own. Once I was down to a short list, I began to reach out to those schools for additional information. After some onsite visits, I made my final decision. Making the best of the college experience is easy. I suggest everyone live in a dorm for at least the first year; this allows you to meet many of your fellow college students. Participate in school events and volunteer as often as time allows.

UCO is best known for their community service. There seems to be opportunity weekly to donate time and energy giving back to the community. I have participated in many events and find the majority of students do as well.

UCO has that small town feeling, everyone seems to know everyone. I like to brag about all the new friends I have found, being from out of state, I worried about making friends. UCO has provided me with a school that feels more like a home.

Cody

My advice for picking the right college for parents and students is easy. Do the research. Research living situations, the majors offered, and most importantly the professors. In my experience the teaching staff makes all the difference. A good professor is not one that is necessarily easy or fun, but one that has a real teaching plan. I look for a professor who knows the topic in and out and comes to class with a purpose. Some teachers are content with teaching straight out of the textbook, but that is not enough for me. After you find the right professors, then comes the college experience part. And, my advice for that is to not fill your plate with too much. Extra-curricular activities and career oriented activities are important, but it is easy to get overwhelmed. You get at least four years at a university, it is okay to stretch out your involvment around campus. To have a good college experience it is important to keep the stress level as low as possible. Nobody wants to burn out after freshman year, so have a good time while still taking the time to get a good education.

The best thing about my school is how easy a lot of the classes are. It is only necessary to have a 2.5 GPA to graduate, and it is easy to get admitted to the college. It is a good school for people who still have to work to pay bills.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of adjunct teachers. They are usually working on a degree for themselves and are not as focused on teaching as a tenured professor. They are not as experienced and it shows.

Dustin

Don't get caught up with the name and reputation of a school. Many people feel that they have to attend the most prestigous college in order to get a decent job after graduation. Why take out $50,000 or more in loans when you are getting a degree in English, Political Science, History or some other liberal arts or fine arts program? If money is not an issue, by all means major in English Literature at an Ivy League school. But for most middle class families, attending a prestigous univeristy will require massive student loans that will require a lifetime to repay or may require defaulting. This might make sense if majoring in a business degree but most middle class families should look into more affordable colleges. These schools actually may offer a better program since many of the professors spend more time in the classroom rather than conducting research.

There are several different opportunities to get involved outside of campus and take on leadership roles on campus. Edmond is only ten miles from downtown Oklahoma City and the state capitol, which makes it easier for students to take internships. Since the campus is not as big as OU or OSU, students have a better opportunity to take on leadership roles in student organizations.

Most people consider UCO to be a commuter school, which results in little campus involvment. Many of the clubs and organizations have very few memebers. Being involved in various activities on campus adds to the college experience. The university is working on this issue in some ways such as getting more students to live on campus. But in other ways the university is dragging its heels such as not allowing a 24 hour library. Much of the resistance comes from the city of Edmond which does not want to be considered a college town.

April

Do a lot of research and make the choice yourself. Don't conform to the thoughts of others. Do what you want to do.

Music program is the best. Many ways to express yourself

Try and ask students not administration. They act like they don't want to talk to you or answer your questions or even know what you are talking about.

Richard

Find a college that will support your dreams. It does not matter how much it cost, where there is a will there is a way. Open your eyes to new experences, and do not over look a school because you feel it is to far away from your home.

The size, with a smaller school there are smaller class. Smaller classes give the profesores a better chance to get to know each of the students. Helping the students with grades and actauly help them learn what is most needed in there major.

People who love to learn, and care more about helping others then just making the grade in a group.

Emerald

I did not know what to expect when I decided to attend UCO, but I've learned that I can expect a good education, good teachers, and good opportunities and never be disappointed.

I would advise students to spend some time thinking introspectivally, and to really decide what they want for their long and short term goals. What do they want from the next 4 years of their lives? Where do they want to be in 10 years? After that, they need to decide what career path most suits their desires, and then look at schools which excell in that area. When looking at schools, the students should try to spend time with the some students who attend that college or university. They should discover whether or not they fit in with the general student body. They should also consider the environment, becacuse that will have an incredible effect on the students enjoyment of the school. Before deciding on a school, the student should take a realistic look at the location of the school in relation to family residences. If a person needs to spend a great amount of time with family, going to school across the country will be incredibly difficult. Finally, a student should trust his or her gut instinct. If he/she feels good at the school, chances are high that the college experience will be a good one.

The best things about UCO are the students and faculty. The students are incredibly down to earth, unlike students at some different schools, and the faculty seem to truly have the interest of the students at heart. Also, most faculty members will do anything and everything they can to help students.

Elisa

Perhaps, they should look around and study the different schools before deciding to jump right in. College is usually 4, or more, years long and that is where you will be spending the majority of the time. Choose wisely.

University of Central Oklahoma administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.