Charleston, WV

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Zaire

The university of Charleston is a very interesting college and when I say interesting I don't mean that in a good way. Charleston is a very small school with about 2,200 kids that go here. The classes are small the dining areas are small and so are the dormitories. This school is pretty much like a big high school. At normal colleges you'll see different faces everyday but not here. Now even thought this school is in the capitol of West Virginia it's very boring with not much to do at all except for going to the mall or seeing a movie. But one of the only perks we have is the views of the hills.

Victoria
University of Charleston

University of Charleston prepared the student for a life of productive work, enlightenment living and community involvement.

Woody

At the University of Charleston, we focus on making learning mean something real, tangible and useful.

the University of Charleston educate each student for a life of productive work, enlightened living, and community involvement. And the university also offering selected quality programs affording professional preparation in a liberal arts environment. Preparing students to live in an increasingly complex and changing society by helping them develop the knowledge, abilities, and character needed to be lifelong learners.

College is, for most of us, the first time we all truly venture out on our own and begin the work of deciding who we will become. It is a beautiful time of discovery and one that you won’t get to repeat. So if I may, can I ask one thing of you? Your grades are important, and parties are fun, but make sure you take some time for yourself once in a while, away from it all. For me, it has made all the difference. Remember that you’re not in high school anymore and that nobody cares what you were like in high school. It’s ok to take good memories from high school with you to college, but make sure not to get caught up in them. You’re going to want to make all new friends and have all new experiences in college and if you stay too attached to your high school experience, you won’t be open to everything that high school has to offer. And figure out what your mark in college is going to be and figure out with whom you’re going to make it.

Kate

Step back from the world that consumes your thoughts, the ACT score that just needs to be a little higher, the prom dress that needs to be fitted, and the drama. Collect moments as they happen. Put them away for safekeeping so you can pull them out in another time. Let the rare moments of perfection wash over you because life will never be as sweet as it is in these moments. The moments when you laugh with your friends around the lunch table. The moment when you receive your diploma and feel the love and approval pouring down on you from your family and your fellow classmates. This moment of perfection is one to be remembered, it marks the ending of a long journey and the beginning of a new one. The transition to college will not be effortless. It will be hard. Some days, you will be sad. If you are, pull the moments that you have carefully collected out of your pocket and revel in the happiness that they bring you. Know that you can make it through anything, and instead of seeing the sadness in an ending, see the beauty in a new beginning.

When I came to my college, I knew it was expensive, however I did not anticipate the $1,000 tuition increase that would come my way my Sophomore year. I am losing some of my scholarships because they were only for the first year, and now with the additional $1,000 increase, I have to come up with $3500 more than I anticipated. I don't know if the increase would have kept me from calling UC home, but I definitley would have considered the financial burden.

I would say that one of the most frustrating things about my school are the meal plans. As a Freshmen, you have to get 14-19 meals a week. I never eat breakfast, and sometimes not dinner, however I still have to pay. It is frustrating to me because I sometimes feel like I'm wasting money that I could be putting towards books or other things for school.

Britney

Students at the University of Charleston are very athletic, and socially and globally conscious. Many students attend the university on scholarships for athletics and the rest of the majority seems to come from an upper-class families. Students are extremely polite, and more than eager to help with any problem or situation going within the school or surrounding community. Students are very involved with the community, and are eager to help even on a global level.

Britney, A few years from now, you'll be studying education at a major University in West Virginia, but right now I just want you to slow down and take a deep breath. I want to tell you not to make a rushed decision based on the school that your family and friends have attended. Stop and take a closer look at the educational programs each of the schools you are considering offers, and how the schools tuition will affect you monetarily. The UC will raise your tuition your sophomore year and you will no longer be able to afford to go to school. Please consider how much that track scholarship you have been offered truly means to you, and how much less important that is compared to the type of education will receive. All of your life you have dreamed of becoming a teacher, and educating our worlds future. Choose a school that will benefit you educationally, and leave you less in debt. I wish you the best of luck in the remaining portion of your senior year. Enjoy high school, because college isn't nearly as much fun as high school was. Love, Your twenty year old self.

I wish I had known that my tuition rate wasn't annual, and would slowly begin increasing. I also wish I would have known that half way through my first semester at UC, that they were going to drop their secondary education program. The University of Charleston faculty is very caring, but oddly enough the school has a funny way of messing up their students educational pathways. I wish I would have taken into the consideration the amount of debt I would be in when I completed my education.

virginia

I would tell myself to open up your mind to always learning. Any experience can be learned from,even the bad ones. don't wait until you are more settled or work for awhile or have kids first. Go right to school and grab all the college and learning experiences you can. I would also tell myself to take a class that I wouls NEVER have thought of taking. Something that would be enjoyable ,along with what is required makes school even more fun. But most important is never stop willing to learn.

Jaimee

The classrooms are very small and there is a lt of hands on learning. Teachers are able to work with every students and most teachers know each of their students' weaknessses and strengths.

I would definitely tell yself to learn good time management strateies. One of the hardest part about first going to college and bein on your own is laring how to balance your schedule withou having a teracher or paretnt telling you when to do your homework and whnto study. It takes awhile to learn what system is best for you so that you can get the most fom your education.

Situations ivolving financial aid is usually very hard and confusing.

Nathan

Keep and eye on your money, make sure to keep your girlfriend happy, and keep in touch with your friends

The acedemics. This school prides itself on its ability to teach students and prepare them for the real world.

The activities. The school provides some activities for the students to do, but they aren't cutting the standard of what a typical person would call engaging.

Chelsey

My school is small, quaint, and it is the best fit for me.

My school is small, quaint, and it is the best fit for me.

Getting good grades isn't enough; you have to put yourself out there and sometimes ask for help. Apply for as many scholarships as possible and when you get in to a college go to class; dont blow it.

I wish I would have known that the new parking garage was going to be built.

Aralia

Set your priorities and don't overwork yourself. Always set aside some time for relaxtion. Take care of yourself. And in college act accordingly to your age. Last but not least, stay on top of things, homework, work schedule, your finances.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.