Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Not everyone knows where they want to end up in life, but everyone has something that they feel passionately about.

Pay attention to the people who pick the school - those are going to be the people you're surrounded with for four years, so if you get bad vibes from them, then that's probably not a good choice for you. On the other hand, it's not always a make or break deal if you don't mind the vibe you get from the people at that school - that just has to be considered with everything else.

I came here to be surrounded by smart people, essentially - to make a good learning and living environment - and I got what I came for. Everyone here can carry their own in really worthwhile conversations, but at the same time, people are silly enough to make fun of themselves and acknowledge and enjoy the silly things in life.

Stacy

Strong academics and a social life full of nerds. However, it's ok to be socially awkward here because everyone else is as well! Most people are really smart and interesting to talk to, and we do have lots of fun (we're known as the place where fun comes to die). There are cultural events, student clubs, and traditional college parties - but they all compete with a night of strong intellectual debate.

To parents: please let your child choose what's best for him/herself! You are at an important moment in each of your lives - know that whatever decision your child makes, it'll work out for the best. Have hope, and trust in their ability to make wise decisions. Even if they mess up a little at first, it's all part of the learning experience. To students: recognize that the decisions you make now will affect your future. You're out in the real world, trying to deal with so many things it can seem impossible: how do you manage to feed and bathe yourself when you have a 15-page paper to write and a job at the library? (Sometimes it's ok to not bathe and re-wear dirty clothes - hey, it's college.) However, remember to relax. You're not on your own. All your friends are in the same boat, and hopefully your college has a support system to catch you. We're all in this together. Have fun, work hard, love yourself, and call home occasionally.

The weather and the lack of breaks during the academic year.

Benjamin

Competetive and intellectual

Competetive and intellectual

Students must find a school that will enable them to grow just as much socially as they can academically. Most schools tend to market their class curricula without informing students and their parents of the diversity of social organizations on campus. By social organizations, I do not simply mean clubs, teams, and other RSOs (Registered Student Organizations), but, for example, the presence and intensity of Greek Life, or the availability of special interest dormitories. In addition, applicants need proper samplings of the interests and backgrounds of their classmates. They should know whether a particular school draws generally academic-minded students from upper-middle class backgrounds, or has established a pattern of increasing economic and racial diversity among the student body over recent years. Otherwise, students can feel seriously out of place at an institution they thought would be a perfect fit with their character. In my opinion, the more demographically and culturally diverse a student body is, the greater the number of opportunities for students to experience different social scenes, and perhaps settle on one in particular.

People can be very full of themselves.

Tova

I found that schools suggested by my high school were not necessarily schools that were right for me. Instead, I chose the University of Chicago through my own searching, using books such as The Princeton Review's books on colleges as guides. I read what students wrote about the colleges, as well as the requirements to get admitted, and started to narrow my search. My "top schools" only included ones that I had at least a slim chance to get into, which seemed to offer environments I wanted to live in. Finally, I visited the top schools on my list, and interviewed where I could. From the questions asked in the interviews and the atmosphere on campus, I tried to determine if what I read were accurate descriptions of the colleges and if I would enjoy the atmospheres I observed. Once I found out which colleges I was admitted to, I thought about why I applied to each of the schools and which reasons were the best ones. Finally, on campus in the Fall, I embraced the things that drew me to the U of C from the beginning, experiencing the reasons why it was the right college for me.

Sometimes the stress gets to the students. I don't think that the professors teach too much, but they demand a lot and at times it's overwhelming.

Someone really interested in learning for the sake of learning. Someone interested in the pursuit of truth and knowledge, and who is willing to work very hard searching for them.

Kyle

The right college is anywhere you choose to go, whether based on money, prestige, or any other reason you choose to go there. College is what you make of it. No matter where you go, you'll have the opportunity to do and seek out whatever you want to do. If the certain thing you are looking for doesn't exist, than create it. Colleges accommodate for most things as the students are what pay the colleges' bills. Be and do whatever you want, college is a time for trial and error.

The lack of support for sports. It should be better than it is.

Leave home. Get as far away from home as possible, either geographically or psychologically/emotionally. Forcibly remove yourself from your comfort zone. Chase down schools that will be most challenging for you where you still have a chance at getting in, and if you get accepted, go there. Remember that this is really the only time in your life when you will be allowed--encouraged, in fact--to try a variety of new things, and you will be protected, in a sense, while doing so. To this end, try out things that interest you, even if they're totally out in left field. Choose classes by professor reputation often. It will help you discover new things to love. Develop one skill or get involved in one new thing that would surprise your friends at home. Remember that in most cases, schoolwork is a matter of prioritization, not total completion. Learn as much as you can about anything and everything. Parents, don't worry or put unnecessary stress on your student; they are expanding their world.

I almost want to say nothing, because I was able to learn so much. But I do wish I had more experience reading well, writing academic papers, and engaging in discussion with my peers. Then I wouldn't have spent so much time catching up. It also was embarrassing sometimes just in casual conversation that I knew so little about our world's current geopolitical landscape, but this did not affect me academically.

This school may make you depressed, because you will realize (if you don't know this already) that you cannot possibly do and see and learn everything you want to. But I think that's a good thing, within reason. Honestly, for me, the worst thing about the U of C was having to leave it.

Samuel

Going to the University of Chicago is like going to graduate school four years early; it's an enormous workload and there's very little social life on campus.

Our school is most famous for research, strong academics, and winning Nobel Prizes.

College is often seen as simply the next logical step in one's life after high school. Because of this, too many people (myself included) go to college unprepared for what they are about to experience. I, personally, have struggled with academic performance, motivation, and direction while here, and have seen others do the same who rushed to go to college because it was the "thing to do" after high school. Do NOT make my mistake. If you need or want time to think about where your life is taking you after high school, take it. Know what you want out of college before you apply. Don't go to college because it looks fun on TV and all your friends are doing it. Think carefully about what you want those four or five years to be (and mean) to you. Why are you going to college? Please, know the answer to that before you go. And if the answer is "to have fun," then for heaven's sake don't go to the University of Chicago.

Raphael

University of Chicago is an academically rigorous and intellectually curious environment.

I thin that the University of Chicago is a great place. That being said, there are numerous excellent places out there. Recently, there's been an over-emphasis on finding a "fit" in terms of college. I sincerely believe that there are numerous places that would allow for a fantastic experience, and it's far more important to make the most of the opportunities at each place rather than find the perfect match.

Anyone who is very academic and interested in being challenged.

Adam

U of C is best known for being academically rigorous, and for have a lot of Nobel Prize winners associated with it.

I would strongly advise both parents and students to remain calm; the process is neither as painful nor as difficult as pricey, private counselors and tutors would have you believe. You can find a college that fits you, and if you make a mistake, you can always transfer. Just relax.

A person who is not at all interested in doing homework, studying, and thinking about the world theoretically and critically would have a hard time fitting in at U of C.

Margaret

My classmates are smart, academically competitive, and generally interesting.

My classmates are smart, academically competitive, and generally interesting.

Visit the school you want to attend several times on different days and during different seasons so that you get a better feel for what the college is like. When you get to school, really try to emerge yourself - don't think about your family or how much better you liked your friends from home; if you think like that then you are going to be miserable. Even if the school is way out of your budget, go anyway because there's always loans and school loans aren't all that bad; I'm going to be in debt at least $75,000 but I'll figure something out!

The best thing about my school is the interesting classes offered and the other students.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.