Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Chicago

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Phil

The U of C (it actually prefers to be called Chicago – but that’s a recent development) is a great place to learn. The U of C, as an institution and as a community, genuinely supports and encourages the “life of the mind.” If you’re honestly interested in getting a great education and really challenging yourself the U of C offers countless opportunities to do so. Great class selection. Great professors. Small classes (except for most of the entry level science classes). Beautiful gothic campus (some say all that grey stone and gargoyles are depressing – but I loved it). The one thing I’d change about the school is the location. The campus is located in Hyde Park in the south side of Chicago, and while the campus itself is relatively safe and clean, the surrounding neighborhood is not (though it is getting better). Now, don’t get me wrong, Chicago is a great city, and there are a lot of great things about Hyde Park (local dive bars and restaurants), but I did feel a little isolated living there (though some of this was self-inflicted). The class advisors were cool as was the rest of the administration. One experience I remember was getting grilled in class on a book I hadn't read (I joined the class late and didn't realize we had a reading assignment). I tried to fake my way through it but the professor wasn't buying it. He eventually left me off the hook only to come back to me the following week and grill me about another book. This time I was prepared and it went really well. Months later when I went to turn in my final exam he shook my hand and told me it was a pleasure having me in the class. Sort of a "Paper Chase" (it's a movie) type moment that led to a happy ending.

Lots of smart motivated and talented people go there. I have friends who I met there who are from all over the country and around the world. I’m not sure on the gender and ethnic breakdown, but it felt pretty diverse. The Core classes make sure that all types of students get to interact with eachother. Fairly liberal student body. The campus has a great divinity school and Rockefeller Church so religion isn't entirely absent from the school. The students are not cutthroat.

U of C has had a bad reputation for a while as being a cold, uncaring and depressing place. When I was thinking about attending, some of my father’s friends who had gone to U of C tried to warn me off. They had had a miserable time there and were worried I would hate it. Even nowadays I hear stories from people I know who had friends who went to U of C who found it too demanding and were chewed up and spit out. Now don’t get me wrong, the classes are demanding. You have to do the reading - and there is a lot of reading. And you have to go to classes and do the work - just like you expect. But I found that most professors were accommodating and friendly. I didn’t get fantastic grades but I managed to graduate with honors and I never really felt over-worked (well maybe my glasses a rose tinted - but honestly it wasn't all that bad). If it sounds unappealing, keep in mind that you don’t have to totally surrender yourself to the “life of the mind” to benefit from it (I’m living proof of that). I’ve already mentioned Hyde Park, and while it is getting better, there is still a problem with crime from the neighborhood leaking onto the campus. I never got mugged, but I know several people who were. The school has a competent private police force and Chicago P.D. is ever-present as well but there were definitely times when I felt unsafe walking home at night. Did I live in constant fear? Hardly. Frankly, it’s not all that bad and the neighborhood is constantly getting better, but it is a part of life out there, so it's something to think about.

Yes and no. As you might imagine, there are all types of people at the school - jocks, artists, pre-med, econ majors, classics majors ? not only that but the small undergrad student body shares the campus with the large graduate student population (which is just as diverse). On the other hand, because of the reputation of the school (it?s viewed as a pretty serious and intense place), the undergrad population at U of C is pretty self-selecting and so a good number of the students are fairly studious and introverted ? then again, that?s not entirely fair to the people I knew who were hardly as one dimensional as that sounds (heck, most of my friends weren?t even all that ugly).

Fantastic. Like I already wrote: Great class selection. Great professors. Small classes. One other thing you need to know about academics at U of C: the Core. The Core is a bunch of required classes that run the gamut from sciences to foreign language to humanities and art. You can test out of some of them upon entrance (or with AP credit for some, I think). I think it’s a great requirement but it is time consuming. Realistically your first two years at the school will be taken up with a majority of Core classes. The Core classes (with the exception of math) are all taught by real professors. Most majors require a require a final thesis paper (which is a great and worthwhile process). U of C is on the quarter system. Which means three ten week academic quarters. A very short reading period for studying for finals and then 2 weeks for finals. The up-shot is that we take more classes than students at schools with the semester system, and our holidays are scheduled a little differently.

Yeah, there’s fun stuff to do on campus. Apartment parties and frat parties. Dorm life is pretty active. Nightly screening of awesome movies at the school movie theater (old stuff, new stuff, main-stream stuff, independent stuff). Every year there is a big crazy scavenger hunt that involves wild stunts and road trips and other tomfoolery. There is also the annual Latke Vs. Hamentashen debate where prominent academics debate the merits of these two food items. While I was there I had did comics for one of the school papers – it was super easy to get into and fun. There are a couple of cool dive bars in the neighborhood. No real sports bars that I can remember, though that may have changed now that pretty much every bar I go to nowadays has 4 or 5 plasma TVs on the walls (there was one campus bar that you needed school ID to get into that was pretty nice). There are a couple of places on campus to play pool and foosball. I think maybe they built a bowling alley, but I’m not sure about that. The athletic facilities are pretty good and there is a healthy IM sports program. There are also some nice museums, restaurants and bookstores on campus. Sports isn't a huge part of campus life, but U of C does have a baseball, basketball, and football team (among others) There is a greek life and they have pretty nice houses, but it's not that big of a deal. There are sororities, but they are not allowed to have houses (at least that's what I was told). There were always pretty good guest speakers (I sat outside with Kurt Vonnegut while he smoked a cigarrette when he stopped in to give a talk). I did not drink at all in college and I managed to have a good time.

Nerdy, anti-social, unattractive.

Tristan

The University of Chicago is the best thing in the world if it's what you're looking for. The academics are rigorous and you're going to work a lot; at the same time, you meet people here that you simply wouldn't meet anywhere else (for better or, less commonly, for worse.) People are definitely proud, not only of the top-notch rankings but of the unique character. It also benefits hugely from the proximity to Chicago. For all the stereotypes of neckbeards in Star Trek t-shirts, campus is full of fashion-minded people, hipsters, clove-smoking intellectuals (who often have substantive things to say!) Campus is loaded with people of all races, backgrounds, orientations, etc... tight-knit communities of musicians, theater folks, film people. There are some real tensions between the admin and students, although it doesn't filter down to the undergrads so much as it does the graduate students, and it's the usual stuff - funding, housing etc.

Far less so than I expected, actually. Tons of people who simply want to get a high GPA and go to law/med/business school. There are also a ton of nerds, but there is an active party scene with drinking, frats, etc. It's definitely not on the level of a state school, but it's not like campus is dead on weekends.

You'll take great classes and bad classes - most of mine have been great, but the occasional stinker is inevitable. It's a nice surprise that some of the required gen-ed stuff (the "Core") is well-taught and thought-provoking, and disappointing when an exclusive class taught by a famous academic sucks. The education is *definitely* geared towards "learning for its own sake," no question about it. This ends up being fine for most people, because the majority of jobs (outside of specific industries like medicine) are going to care what your degree is in. The point of undergrad is really to get a well-rounded education and develop skills; you worry about applicable stuff when you go to grad or enter the job market.

The social life, much-maligned, is far more decent than people make it out to be. If hitting a keg and dancing until 3 to blasting music is your thing, the frats provide that nearly every weekend. At the same time, you might very well end up in the library on a Saturday night because of work; if that's a problem, grow up.

Extremely nerdy and academia-oriented; the saying is, "That's all well and good in practice, but how does it work in theory?" Active proponents of ivory-tower elitism. Limited social skills.

Max

The architecture is the best thing; I'd change the insane cost of tuition, the school is just right, people generally don't know what U Chicago is; the library; what college town, the administration is alright, the biggest recent controversy was keeping Coke on campus, there is not much school pride, its unusually cold at U Chicago, one experience I'll always remember is getting free food at the Medici for proxying for my friend who was in student government; the most frequent complaints are that the school is too hard

I dont know, I coudn't say, clothes, yes, huh?, from new york or boston, rich people, yes, right and left and center, no

No, favorite class was History of Philosophy I, least favorite 3rd quarter Hume, students study a lot, class participation varies, yes, yes, i dont know, i have no major, no, the science core sucks, learning for its own sake

I dont know, Euphony is an on campus literary publication, sometimes, not popular, I don't know much about the dating scene, from my house, getting WASTED!!!, the treasure hunt thing, 2 times a week, not very, I laid down some verses with some friends, study?, eat

That we are all nerds and do nothing except study and are antisocial and weird

Natalie

Going to school in Chicago is great. Besides the depressing winter months (it really is depressing walking to class in the frigid cold staring up at a gray sky beyond the gothic architecture), living so close to the city provides so many things to do and places to explore. It is important to take advantage of the urban setting- you can take a bus, the metra train or the red line El downtown and even though it does get expensive since the UofC has not yet approved a UPass (every other Chicago school has a UPass that you pay for with tuition and consequently get free CTA transportation for the year), it's fun to get out of Hyde Park. I go to the movies a lot and like to try out restaurants in different parts of the city. Wicker Park is fun and trendy, Lincoln Park is yuppie but exciting, Logan Square is full of hipsters and some swank spots, Rogers Park has the best Indian food in the city, Pilsen has the best Mexican food, Bucktown has strips of thrift shops and the Magnificent mile is upscale and packed with all kinds of shoppers. I spend most of my time in coffee shops around campus and cafes in the city-I go in between classes and also to study and treat myself to cookies and cappuccinos. They make me feel collegiate and they are more social than the library!

Anti-social: If this means not knowing how to act in every-day social interactions, reluctant to forge actual friendships, and looking down at the ground when walking through the quad, then yes...unless you get involved. That is really key- there are many clubs, RSOs, intramural sports, and fraterities/sororities to get involved with. Nerdly: If this means spending so much time in the library that people bring toothbrushes and actually utilize the 24-hour library spaces, skip meals to study, and spend 4 years in Hyde Park without ever venturing out into the big city, then yes...but there still are certain things, like Bar Night every Wednesday (all you need is a UChicago ID), or the Pub in the basement of Ida Noyes (you actually need to be 21+) that might combat this stereotype. Intelligent: If this means going to your first discussion class and realizing that your peers have not only done the Spinoza reading, but have understood it too, then yes...of course there are also those students in your classes who just won't shut up and you know they are talking bull. Eccentric: If this means looking to the left of you and seeing a kid with dreadlocks searching advanced martial arts techniques, looking to the right and seeing a girl knitting in class with a bookstand, looking straight ahead and seeing a tiny girl in a mini skirt chowing on spicy beef jerky and reading a comic book in Arabic, then yes...there are a handful of interesting people to say the least. Diverse: If this means having most of the university's population coming to school bilingual, representing every continent but Antarctica, and having many cultural activities every quarter, then yes...sometimes I feel a little bit left out, being from the suburbs! Strange: If this means following the traditions of Scav Hunt (where someone has been known to eat his own umbilical cord) and Kuviasungerk/kangeiko (waking up at 45in the morning for a week for activities like yoga and ice skating)...then yes, but it sure makes the experience that much more exciting. Philosophizing: If this means that after a glass of wine on any given weekend night at least one person resorts to a discussion on happiness or intent or Descartes or Nietzche, or actually anything at all that can be argued for a few hours, then yes...but it doesn't mean that the discussion leads anywhere.

My favorite class was an English class on D.H.Lawrence. Taught by a graduate student, the teacher projected his enthusiasm unto the class and made us all appreciate the author through biographical anecdotes, personal opinions, dramatic readings and patient discussion. Of course, English classes tend to be laid back and open to interpretations, but this class was not intimidating while I still learned a lot. Other classes have tended toward the more competitive side, especially in the math and science fields. Grades are a fought for and if grading is on a curved scale then you don't have a chance unless you spend entire days and nights in the library. The pressure is so great that I am sometimes made to feel inferior, or at least lazy and not dedicated enough, if I find myself relaxing and watching a movie during midterm week. The fact that the university is so expensive also make s me feel guilty if I don't earn at least a B+ in a class that I could have worked harder for. Is it worth it? I think so, but I have worked hard to maintain a healthy balance between classwork, extracurriculars, a social life, keeping in touch with my family and friends from home, spending time with my boyfriend, babysitting and working for the university. When I read literature with subtle references to past novels or theories that I have actually read before, I can reflect and realize that I have learned a lot already. Not only have I learned in class, but I really do learn a lot from my classmates and friends here. They are always discussing current events and big issues; we all take such different course work that just speaking about our respective lessons contributes to my education. I have met so many people from other cultures that makes it interesting just to hear about their lives at home. So as long as I don't develop an ulcer or induce constant migraines from being in this environment for four years, I think it will be worth it.

Last Friday after class I went to the Art Institute of Chicago and then spent some time with my best friend at the Descartex Cafe. We drank oatmeal lattes and then met up with some other friends in Lakeview because someone wanted to try out a restaurant called The Chicago Diner. It was a vegetarian/vegan joint that there was an hour long wait for. Every ingredient that would otherwise have been made of meat was in quotation marks. For example, the gyros contained "lamb" strips, the BLT had "bakon" and the stir fry had "chikkin" chunks. Then we went back to campus and found some boys in the dorm freestyle rapping on homeade beats...typical Friday night!

atni-social nerdly intelligent eccentric diverse strange philosophizing

UChicago runs on coffee. There are caffeine shops in literally the basement of every building (or the occasional second floor) and this is where the "life of the mind" UChicago is so proud of really flourishes. It's also where people catch up on their reading or their sleep while snagging some sugar-rich snack. As for the school's rep, it's really kind of funny: those who know about it, respect it, but half my family still thinks I attend UIC-University of Illinois at Chicago. They're always so impressed when I start quoting Marx...who you will read, along with Weber, Smith, Durkheim, Freud, Nietzsche, and other "greats". And the scary part is, you'll understand them. And probably agree, in some cases. This school enables you never to lose an argument again. Ever. Except possibly against other graduates ;^)

People don't really talk about money here, other than to say a. how they can't afford dinner and b. how much debt they'll be in after they graduate. Yet many wouldn't trade it for the world, because they're getting a college experience only possible at the U of C. Sitting down at dinner always yields interesting conversations, since houses (dorm divisions) typically sit with one another. This leads to a mixture of your typical labels, with jocks, frat boys, geeks, musicians, and raving lunatics all sharing the same breathing space, which makes the conversation rather frenetic, to say the least. For example: tonight, the concept of the turducken was expanded past all logical rational, and the mathematical and logistical implications of cooking it were analyzed, along with the proper side dishes. Let's just say that eating the sheep layer might not be the best bet. As for feeling out of place, it's hard, because everyone here is utterly bizarre in one regard or another-you just have to find it.

Hahahaha you think anyone would make it four years here if they were? Trust me, our suicide rate would be a lot higher as all the obsessed academics realized for the first time that there is someone SMARTER THAN THEM *gasp*. So no, not accurate in the least. This school makes you work hard, but it also forces you to do things other than academics, or you'll go crazy.

What kind of class do you want to take? Because it's here. It's not guaranteed to be practical, or even useful, but when else can you take a class called "Staging Terror" and get credit for it? I watched monster movies for class, and then wrote an academic paper on them, the same quarter I took a class in Catalan that was taught by comparing it to the other romance languages. The Core is both the most loved and most hated thing on campus. Roughly speaking, it's a set of required classes that will take up about a third of your time here. It's great because it saves first-years (what we call freshman) from actually having to decide what classes they want to take. It sucks because second year everyone is over having their decisions made for them. That being said, Core is a common experience for all undergrads-something you can talk about with whoever you meet. Not necessarily the case for advanced class discussion between a Chem major and an English major. The classes are hard. They demand your attention an respect. They will teach you how to prioritize and condense your work, or you will never sleep. That being said, you still won't sleep as much as you like. But the 3am conversations when everyone's trying to finish a 7pg paper before 8 in the morning are worth it. And the papers normally turn out okay, too.

Dating here sucks, I'm not gonna lie. The same people seem to always be in a relationship, and make it look easy, while those who can't seem to get laid to save their soul look on jealously. One advantage I've noticed, though, is that the hookup culture seems to be less prevalent here than at other universities, and confined mainly to the after-frat-party crowd. GLBT dating is probably the most successful on campus, don't ask me why. Probably something about being less inhibited. Honestly, if the people here got out of their own way, there would be a lot more happy couples.

Just look at our t-shirts: "where fun comes to die", "where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA", "if I wanted an A I would have gone to Harvard". Basically, that we're all overly obsessed academics without any social skills whatsoever-a haven for the weird, the strange, and the unclassifiable. You know the kid who can't dress, answers every question in class, and screws up the curve? Yeah, that's EVERYONE at this school.

Andy

The campus architecture, design, landscaping are really impressive and look great in the spring and early fall. Winter is a frigid bitch and its hard to gauge the ways in which that makes so many other aspects of life worse. There is a lot of pride in the school's academic reputation, in some circles, but very little athletic spirit or pride, which doesnt bother me at all. A lot of people hang out in Reynolds Club and A-level of the library, which are pretty decent hang out spots for nerds.

Its hard to make a general ruling about the types of inter-culturals relationships that form or dont form at this school. On the south side fo Chicago, there is a pretty heavy divide between black people and white people, especially coupled with the fact that you are a university student. You arent targeted or bullied as a student, but most people in the community tend to look right past you or dismiss you as a tourist and a foreigner. A lot of the east asian students tend to band together, but it think this has a strong relationship to the econ program because some asian students are here for math classes and dont have a firm grasp of english, so they feel more comfortable staying with people from their part of the world. There are a lot of Indian student who, generally speaking, are pretty affluent and accustomed to the American lifestyle so they blend in nicely with other groups of upper class students. Within one's own house, however, I think you have the ability to cross a lot of barrier and get to know people from different cultures. The problems presented here though are 1) you have 30 people in your house, maybe. The chance of even 7 of those people being worth getting to know are pretty slim. and 2) People dont really freely associate outside of houses/activities/classes, so you just dont have a chance to meet some minority groups.

In many cases, yes. A lot of people have inflated egos and I think the creates a lot of social barriers. Either inflated egos or a crippling lack of social confidence, it wavers between the two.

Colonizations is the worst class ive ever taken. About 10% of students are what you might call "openly" competitive, meaning they will frequently stress about their grades and make subtle attempts to pry into other people's academic agenda. Professor office hours are generally a good experience.

Guest speakers are fun to see, but its hard to schedule ones you want to see. The girls at this school are hideous. All types of hideous. Grab bag, plain looking, nerdy girls.

That they are unsociable nerds that take themselves too seriously.

Laura

I think that UChicago tends to blend into the background of other colleges--we aren't known for boasting our greatest achievements to the world or grabbing to take credit for our accomplishments. I think that it's both good and bad; it's good that we aren't pompous and full of ourselves and egotistical, but at the same time, we deserve a lot more credit than we are getting in a lot of different fields. At the same time, I am really disheartened when I tell people in Ohio (where I'm from) that I go to the University of Chicago and they think it's a state school with a fancy name. It's not. When people say that, I feel like it's taking a shot at all I've worked so hard to accomplish and all that I'm still working so hard to do with my life. Where I come from, you never hear that you can get into a college as hard and impressive as UChicago, so just the fact that I'm here now is a big deal. To have that undermined by other people's lack of knowledge is pretty sad. And I think that makes the student population a little bitter about being the so-called little sister or brother of the "big deal" colleges like Harvard, Princeton, or Yale. I've heard it and seen it a million times from a bunch of really happy, really content UChicago students. Although, I feel that our biggest issue right now is the Alderman's re-routing the 171 Bus Stop away from 57th and University.

I feel like there are a million options for UChicago students to find their niches and that's fabulous. It leads to a whole variety of quality programming with tons of options. UChicago encompasses a host of all religions, nationalities, and styles of living. It's really fun and really fabulous. It's just sad that a great deal of people on campus aren't involved in anything or are involved in only one group and can't experience all the fun that comes with a group of people who are really different from what they are used to.

Not always. These stereotypes may be true in some people, but it's not really true of the general populace. What stereotype you do or do not fit into depends solely on what you want to make of yourself here. Everyone is different and your experiences change how well or how poorly you fit into the UChicago stereotype.

Everyone studies all the time. Well, not all the time, but a good portion of it. I'm a big procrastinator, so it both helps to motivate me and makes me bored because there isn't anyone to just goof off with sometimes. The only complaint that I have is that students are highly competitive and the really hard workers are usually the only ones willing to help others out. The competitive ones tend to take help from other people and then ignore others when they ask for help. You really have to make friends in class that are reliable and helpful so that you don't miss anything, or you have to take classes with your friends. That's nice, except when you have to take a class where you don't know anyone and you are having trouble understanding the concepts fully.

I feel like you can pretty much go anywhere in our House in Max Central and find someone that's up for going to Bart Mart, talking, or hanging out. There's always someone to study with and always somebody to have fun with. We have a ton of special events from cultural shows to guest speakers to musical performances and celebrations. It's amazing programming. I'm involved with UCDems who hold about 2-3 nicely sized events every quarter and one amazingly huge progressive Gala with fabulous speakers and collaboration with other RSOs on campus. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or watching Arrested Development with the boys from down the hall in the Lounge. This weekend, a bunch of friends and I went to a really nice restaurant called "Wave" downtown and then went up to Belmont to smoke hookah with one of the guy's friends from Turkey. It was a really fun night on the town with a lot of cross-cultural awareness (it was 2 Americans, an Indian girl and boy, a Puerto Rican girl, a Turkish guy and all of his friends!). It was really fun.

Stereotypes include: being too nerdy for fun, being confined to rooms/the dorm or apartment/the library/Hyde Park, unfashionable, social awkwardness, and general unattractiveness.

I love the group of students who goes to this school. I have found my best friends here, because they understand my quirks and are here for the same reason: to learn. The school is a good size. It feels small at times, but this allows for us to be closer to classes and to each other. People react well usually when I tell them I go to UChicago. They think of it as in line with Harvard or Yale. A few issues I have are the new path the school is taking. I feel it is losing what makes it special, but moving to the common application. I also feel that some bad decisions were made in the science campus. The school does not respect plant research, and this is reflected in their decision to build the new Biomedical Center so that it blocks the school greenhouse. My favorite tradition is the bagpipe procession. I am looking forward to it at graduation.

I am not sure about race, religion or sex at Uchicago. I feel that everyone is supported and diversity is embraced. People respect one another for the most part. there are some economic divisions, but the students tend not to emphasize these. People hang out with people with the same interests, despite any other differences they might have, at least in my experience. Many students are politically aware, but not as much as I expected when I came here. Students do not usually talk about how much they will make, but it does come up at times, more so for economics majors usually.

Definitely not...except maybe the staring at the ground one. Many students do stay in their rooms, and are often doing work, but there are a lot of us who enjoy going out, going downtown, going out to dinner, and de-stressing by NOT doing work. We are not all ugly. In fact there are some very good looking people who go there. We all may be a bit on the nerdier side, but we are definitely not all ugly.

Professors know students names in most classes. Humanities are terrible, and there are very few art classes offered, but I really enjoy the art history classes, especially African Art. UChicago students are always talking about school, no matter where they are. Students can be competitive, but they are not bad towards their fellow students. They would not usually try to hurt someone else to get ahead. The Biological Sciences department is very well rounded with great teachers. There are a lot of courses, with great research and work opportunities. The only complaint I have is the lack of jobs available for science graduates through the advising office, as there is for other majors. The requirements are hefty and overwhelming at times, but they seem to prepare students very well for the future. The education is whatever you make of it. It can be for the sake of learning, or if you want, it can prepare you immensely for a career right after school.

Most Popular Groups: Fraternities/Sororities, Model United Nations, South Asian Students Association. Students leave their dorm doors open in Max Palevsky and Pierce mainly. Athletic events are NOT popular...its sad. Theatre and guest speakers get huge support though. I can't say much on the dating scene. I only dated a little my first year, then went into a long term relationship, long distance. The guys here always have some weird quirk, so I gave up. 2AM Tuesday: Leaving the Pub or finishing homework. Traditions: Senior Pub Night, Senior Week, Bag Pipe procession for graduation, Midnight Breakfasts, Major Spring Concert and festival. I party anywhere from 5 times a week to 1 time a month depending on how busy I am. I think fraternities and sororities keep the campus alive and helps keep people social. Saturday Night Options: Dinner, Movie, a play. Off Capus: Movies, Enchanted Castle, food, museums, shop.

We never have fun. We stare at the ground when we walk and won't look at people. We are ugly. They never leave the library or their rooms.

Jesse

Its a hard life, a hard school and you have to be very intellectually motivated. The people generally are not hardcore party-goers and you will definitely get frustrated by the lack of beautiful, promiscuous women. The winter will KILL you. Those 4 months are awful. Really. However, good conversation and nice people might make your day. As well as sosc and all the amazing classes you could take.

Student body improving, although still not amazing. Somewhat dull. But definitely improving.

All in all, its a great place, but sometimes depressing.

i) To a large extent it is accurate, although this is changing. There are many really cool people out there. Students are not the standard beer-chugging college students. Many have never been to a party before and many will not go to a party in their four years here. However, there are many simply cool people out there with whom you can have really great conversations with, even if they dont party. ii) Yes and no. If you are an intellectual, then some of the classes here will make you orgasm. The core is wonderful (except for physci and bio, ugh.) Sosc is the most amazing class you'll take ever. However, a lot of the students are way too goal-oriented. All they think about is that 80,000 dollar i-banking job and dont really care about the intellectual experience. So you might be underwhelmed. iii) They are. Except the Econ core. Which sucks. iv) It is dull, dreary and no fun. There are only 2 pubs, no good restaurants in Hyde park. Its a dull neighborhood, no doubt. v) It is hard. Very hard. But also very satisfying if you do well. Take up the challenge.

Generally great classes. Very competitive students. A lot of discussion based classes. Great stuff in general. Awesome especially if you love arguments. You can argue with your prof in class. However, things are leaning toward getting a job instead of learning for its own sake.

Model UN is great. Theater is great. Open people. Very friendly. Nice place overall.

i) That the students are socially inept. ii) That UChicago is an intellectual haven. iii) That the academics are amazing. iv) That life in UChicago is dull, dreary and no fun. v) That it is a hard school - hard on grading and hard on work.

michael

The best thing about UChicago is it teaches you how to think. Since I've been here, I've undergone a complete intellectual transformation. The core is probably the best academic workout in the world, and it will make you a better person in the end, even if it's painful. The school is a good size, but it's a shame the recognition isn't as high. People are rarely impressed when you tell them where you go.

Everyone is very open-minded and nice here, probably because students are forced to be by the administration. Almost everyone drinks and a ton of people smoke, but no one is ever ridiculed for not drinking and the atmosphere is always very casual. Parties here are way more fun than parties I go to in my hometown where it's just an excuse to play beer pong for 16 straight hours and the talking is limited to trash talking.

Of course not. The Core creates an atmosphere that fosters intellectualism because everyone is required to take the same classes. Beyond that, students are maybe slightly less attractive than normal people but I doubt that's actually true either.

The professors I've had have all been great, but I also get a lot of postdocs teaching me which isn't the best. They're pretty hit or miss but even when they hit I feel like a professor would still be better. People study all the time here--most people don't party except for the weekends and people frequently spend all weekend working anyway.

UChicago students are all albino, smelly, unhygienic, scav hunt-loving weirdos who only talk about kant and particle physics and despise those who take classes that prepare them for the real world. UChicago students are ugly.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.