Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Natalie

Going to school in Chicago is great. Besides the depressing winter months (it really is depressing walking to class in the frigid cold staring up at a gray sky beyond the gothic architecture), living so close to the city provides so many things to do and places to explore. It is important to take advantage of the urban setting- you can take a bus, the metra train or the red line El downtown and even though it does get expensive since the UofC has not yet approved a UPass (every other Chicago school has a UPass that you pay for with tuition and consequently get free CTA transportation for the year), it's fun to get out of Hyde Park. I go to the movies a lot and like to try out restaurants in different parts of the city. Wicker Park is fun and trendy, Lincoln Park is yuppie but exciting, Logan Square is full of hipsters and some swank spots, Rogers Park has the best Indian food in the city, Pilsen has the best Mexican food, Bucktown has strips of thrift shops and the Magnificent mile is upscale and packed with all kinds of shoppers. I spend most of my time in coffee shops around campus and cafes in the city-I go in between classes and also to study and treat myself to cookies and cappuccinos. They make me feel collegiate and they are more social than the library!

Anti-social: If this means not knowing how to act in every-day social interactions, reluctant to forge actual friendships, and looking down at the ground when walking through the quad, then yes...unless you get involved. That is really key- there are many clubs, RSOs, intramural sports, and fraterities/sororities to get involved with. Nerdly: If this means spending so much time in the library that people bring toothbrushes and actually utilize the 24-hour library spaces, skip meals to study, and spend 4 years in Hyde Park without ever venturing out into the big city, then yes...but there still are certain things, like Bar Night every Wednesday (all you need is a UChicago ID), or the Pub in the basement of Ida Noyes (you actually need to be 21+) that might combat this stereotype. Intelligent: If this means going to your first discussion class and realizing that your peers have not only done the Spinoza reading, but have understood it too, then yes...of course there are also those students in your classes who just won't shut up and you know they are talking bull. Eccentric: If this means looking to the left of you and seeing a kid with dreadlocks searching advanced martial arts techniques, looking to the right and seeing a girl knitting in class with a bookstand, looking straight ahead and seeing a tiny girl in a mini skirt chowing on spicy beef jerky and reading a comic book in Arabic, then yes...there are a handful of interesting people to say the least. Diverse: If this means having most of the university's population coming to school bilingual, representing every continent but Antarctica, and having many cultural activities every quarter, then yes...sometimes I feel a little bit left out, being from the suburbs! Strange: If this means following the traditions of Scav Hunt (where someone has been known to eat his own umbilical cord) and Kuviasungerk/kangeiko (waking up at 45in the morning for a week for activities like yoga and ice skating)...then yes, but it sure makes the experience that much more exciting. Philosophizing: If this means that after a glass of wine on any given weekend night at least one person resorts to a discussion on happiness or intent or Descartes or Nietzche, or actually anything at all that can be argued for a few hours, then yes...but it doesn't mean that the discussion leads anywhere.

My favorite class was an English class on D.H.Lawrence. Taught by a graduate student, the teacher projected his enthusiasm unto the class and made us all appreciate the author through biographical anecdotes, personal opinions, dramatic readings and patient discussion. Of course, English classes tend to be laid back and open to interpretations, but this class was not intimidating while I still learned a lot. Other classes have tended toward the more competitive side, especially in the math and science fields. Grades are a fought for and if grading is on a curved scale then you don't have a chance unless you spend entire days and nights in the library. The pressure is so great that I am sometimes made to feel inferior, or at least lazy and not dedicated enough, if I find myself relaxing and watching a movie during midterm week. The fact that the university is so expensive also make s me feel guilty if I don't earn at least a B+ in a class that I could have worked harder for. Is it worth it? I think so, but I have worked hard to maintain a healthy balance between classwork, extracurriculars, a social life, keeping in touch with my family and friends from home, spending time with my boyfriend, babysitting and working for the university. When I read literature with subtle references to past novels or theories that I have actually read before, I can reflect and realize that I have learned a lot already. Not only have I learned in class, but I really do learn a lot from my classmates and friends here. They are always discussing current events and big issues; we all take such different course work that just speaking about our respective lessons contributes to my education. I have met so many people from other cultures that makes it interesting just to hear about their lives at home. So as long as I don't develop an ulcer or induce constant migraines from being in this environment for four years, I think it will be worth it.

Last Friday after class I went to the Art Institute of Chicago and then spent some time with my best friend at the Descartex Cafe. We drank oatmeal lattes and then met up with some other friends in Lakeview because someone wanted to try out a restaurant called The Chicago Diner. It was a vegetarian/vegan joint that there was an hour long wait for. Every ingredient that would otherwise have been made of meat was in quotation marks. For example, the gyros contained "lamb" strips, the BLT had "bakon" and the stir fry had "chikkin" chunks. Then we went back to campus and found some boys in the dorm freestyle rapping on homeade beats...typical Friday night!

atni-social nerdly intelligent eccentric diverse strange philosophizing

UChicago runs on coffee. There are caffeine shops in literally the basement of every building (or the occasional second floor) and this is where the "life of the mind" UChicago is so proud of really flourishes. It's also where people catch up on their reading or their sleep while snagging some sugar-rich snack. As for the school's rep, it's really kind of funny: those who know about it, respect it, but half my family still thinks I attend UIC-University of Illinois at Chicago. They're always so impressed when I start quoting Marx...who you will read, along with Weber, Smith, Durkheim, Freud, Nietzsche, and other "greats". And the scary part is, you'll understand them. And probably agree, in some cases. This school enables you never to lose an argument again. Ever. Except possibly against other graduates ;^)

People don't really talk about money here, other than to say a. how they can't afford dinner and b. how much debt they'll be in after they graduate. Yet many wouldn't trade it for the world, because they're getting a college experience only possible at the U of C. Sitting down at dinner always yields interesting conversations, since houses (dorm divisions) typically sit with one another. This leads to a mixture of your typical labels, with jocks, frat boys, geeks, musicians, and raving lunatics all sharing the same breathing space, which makes the conversation rather frenetic, to say the least. For example: tonight, the concept of the turducken was expanded past all logical rational, and the mathematical and logistical implications of cooking it were analyzed, along with the proper side dishes. Let's just say that eating the sheep layer might not be the best bet. As for feeling out of place, it's hard, because everyone here is utterly bizarre in one regard or another-you just have to find it.

Hahahaha you think anyone would make it four years here if they were? Trust me, our suicide rate would be a lot higher as all the obsessed academics realized for the first time that there is someone SMARTER THAN THEM *gasp*. So no, not accurate in the least. This school makes you work hard, but it also forces you to do things other than academics, or you'll go crazy.

What kind of class do you want to take? Because it's here. It's not guaranteed to be practical, or even useful, but when else can you take a class called "Staging Terror" and get credit for it? I watched monster movies for class, and then wrote an academic paper on them, the same quarter I took a class in Catalan that was taught by comparing it to the other romance languages. The Core is both the most loved and most hated thing on campus. Roughly speaking, it's a set of required classes that will take up about a third of your time here. It's great because it saves first-years (what we call freshman) from actually having to decide what classes they want to take. It sucks because second year everyone is over having their decisions made for them. That being said, Core is a common experience for all undergrads-something you can talk about with whoever you meet. Not necessarily the case for advanced class discussion between a Chem major and an English major. The classes are hard. They demand your attention an respect. They will teach you how to prioritize and condense your work, or you will never sleep. That being said, you still won't sleep as much as you like. But the 3am conversations when everyone's trying to finish a 7pg paper before 8 in the morning are worth it. And the papers normally turn out okay, too.

Dating here sucks, I'm not gonna lie. The same people seem to always be in a relationship, and make it look easy, while those who can't seem to get laid to save their soul look on jealously. One advantage I've noticed, though, is that the hookup culture seems to be less prevalent here than at other universities, and confined mainly to the after-frat-party crowd. GLBT dating is probably the most successful on campus, don't ask me why. Probably something about being less inhibited. Honestly, if the people here got out of their own way, there would be a lot more happy couples.

Just look at our t-shirts: "where fun comes to die", "where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA", "if I wanted an A I would have gone to Harvard". Basically, that we're all overly obsessed academics without any social skills whatsoever-a haven for the weird, the strange, and the unclassifiable. You know the kid who can't dress, answers every question in class, and screws up the curve? Yeah, that's EVERYONE at this school.

Andy

The campus architecture, design, landscaping are really impressive and look great in the spring and early fall. Winter is a frigid bitch and its hard to gauge the ways in which that makes so many other aspects of life worse. There is a lot of pride in the school's academic reputation, in some circles, but very little athletic spirit or pride, which doesnt bother me at all. A lot of people hang out in Reynolds Club and A-level of the library, which are pretty decent hang out spots for nerds.

Its hard to make a general ruling about the types of inter-culturals relationships that form or dont form at this school. On the south side fo Chicago, there is a pretty heavy divide between black people and white people, especially coupled with the fact that you are a university student. You arent targeted or bullied as a student, but most people in the community tend to look right past you or dismiss you as a tourist and a foreigner. A lot of the east asian students tend to band together, but it think this has a strong relationship to the econ program because some asian students are here for math classes and dont have a firm grasp of english, so they feel more comfortable staying with people from their part of the world. There are a lot of Indian student who, generally speaking, are pretty affluent and accustomed to the American lifestyle so they blend in nicely with other groups of upper class students. Within one's own house, however, I think you have the ability to cross a lot of barrier and get to know people from different cultures. The problems presented here though are 1) you have 30 people in your house, maybe. The chance of even 7 of those people being worth getting to know are pretty slim. and 2) People dont really freely associate outside of houses/activities/classes, so you just dont have a chance to meet some minority groups.

In many cases, yes. A lot of people have inflated egos and I think the creates a lot of social barriers. Either inflated egos or a crippling lack of social confidence, it wavers between the two.

Colonizations is the worst class ive ever taken. About 10% of students are what you might call "openly" competitive, meaning they will frequently stress about their grades and make subtle attempts to pry into other people's academic agenda. Professor office hours are generally a good experience.

Guest speakers are fun to see, but its hard to schedule ones you want to see. The girls at this school are hideous. All types of hideous. Grab bag, plain looking, nerdy girls.

That they are unsociable nerds that take themselves too seriously.

Laura

I think that UChicago tends to blend into the background of other colleges--we aren't known for boasting our greatest achievements to the world or grabbing to take credit for our accomplishments. I think that it's both good and bad; it's good that we aren't pompous and full of ourselves and egotistical, but at the same time, we deserve a lot more credit than we are getting in a lot of different fields. At the same time, I am really disheartened when I tell people in Ohio (where I'm from) that I go to the University of Chicago and they think it's a state school with a fancy name. It's not. When people say that, I feel like it's taking a shot at all I've worked so hard to accomplish and all that I'm still working so hard to do with my life. Where I come from, you never hear that you can get into a college as hard and impressive as UChicago, so just the fact that I'm here now is a big deal. To have that undermined by other people's lack of knowledge is pretty sad. And I think that makes the student population a little bitter about being the so-called little sister or brother of the "big deal" colleges like Harvard, Princeton, or Yale. I've heard it and seen it a million times from a bunch of really happy, really content UChicago students. Although, I feel that our biggest issue right now is the Alderman's re-routing the 171 Bus Stop away from 57th and University.

I feel like there are a million options for UChicago students to find their niches and that's fabulous. It leads to a whole variety of quality programming with tons of options. UChicago encompasses a host of all religions, nationalities, and styles of living. It's really fun and really fabulous. It's just sad that a great deal of people on campus aren't involved in anything or are involved in only one group and can't experience all the fun that comes with a group of people who are really different from what they are used to.

Not always. These stereotypes may be true in some people, but it's not really true of the general populace. What stereotype you do or do not fit into depends solely on what you want to make of yourself here. Everyone is different and your experiences change how well or how poorly you fit into the UChicago stereotype.

Everyone studies all the time. Well, not all the time, but a good portion of it. I'm a big procrastinator, so it both helps to motivate me and makes me bored because there isn't anyone to just goof off with sometimes. The only complaint that I have is that students are highly competitive and the really hard workers are usually the only ones willing to help others out. The competitive ones tend to take help from other people and then ignore others when they ask for help. You really have to make friends in class that are reliable and helpful so that you don't miss anything, or you have to take classes with your friends. That's nice, except when you have to take a class where you don't know anyone and you are having trouble understanding the concepts fully.

I feel like you can pretty much go anywhere in our House in Max Central and find someone that's up for going to Bart Mart, talking, or hanging out. There's always someone to study with and always somebody to have fun with. We have a ton of special events from cultural shows to guest speakers to musical performances and celebrations. It's amazing programming. I'm involved with UCDems who hold about 2-3 nicely sized events every quarter and one amazingly huge progressive Gala with fabulous speakers and collaboration with other RSOs on campus. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or watching Arrested Development with the boys from down the hall in the Lounge. This weekend, a bunch of friends and I went to a really nice restaurant called "Wave" downtown and then went up to Belmont to smoke hookah with one of the guy's friends from Turkey. It was a really fun night on the town with a lot of cross-cultural awareness (it was 2 Americans, an Indian girl and boy, a Puerto Rican girl, a Turkish guy and all of his friends!). It was really fun.

Stereotypes include: being too nerdy for fun, being confined to rooms/the dorm or apartment/the library/Hyde Park, unfashionable, social awkwardness, and general unattractiveness.

I love the group of students who goes to this school. I have found my best friends here, because they understand my quirks and are here for the same reason: to learn. The school is a good size. It feels small at times, but this allows for us to be closer to classes and to each other. People react well usually when I tell them I go to UChicago. They think of it as in line with Harvard or Yale. A few issues I have are the new path the school is taking. I feel it is losing what makes it special, but moving to the common application. I also feel that some bad decisions were made in the science campus. The school does not respect plant research, and this is reflected in their decision to build the new Biomedical Center so that it blocks the school greenhouse. My favorite tradition is the bagpipe procession. I am looking forward to it at graduation.

I am not sure about race, religion or sex at Uchicago. I feel that everyone is supported and diversity is embraced. People respect one another for the most part. there are some economic divisions, but the students tend not to emphasize these. People hang out with people with the same interests, despite any other differences they might have, at least in my experience. Many students are politically aware, but not as much as I expected when I came here. Students do not usually talk about how much they will make, but it does come up at times, more so for economics majors usually.

Definitely not...except maybe the staring at the ground one. Many students do stay in their rooms, and are often doing work, but there are a lot of us who enjoy going out, going downtown, going out to dinner, and de-stressing by NOT doing work. We are not all ugly. In fact there are some very good looking people who go there. We all may be a bit on the nerdier side, but we are definitely not all ugly.

Professors know students names in most classes. Humanities are terrible, and there are very few art classes offered, but I really enjoy the art history classes, especially African Art. UChicago students are always talking about school, no matter where they are. Students can be competitive, but they are not bad towards their fellow students. They would not usually try to hurt someone else to get ahead. The Biological Sciences department is very well rounded with great teachers. There are a lot of courses, with great research and work opportunities. The only complaint I have is the lack of jobs available for science graduates through the advising office, as there is for other majors. The requirements are hefty and overwhelming at times, but they seem to prepare students very well for the future. The education is whatever you make of it. It can be for the sake of learning, or if you want, it can prepare you immensely for a career right after school.

Most Popular Groups: Fraternities/Sororities, Model United Nations, South Asian Students Association. Students leave their dorm doors open in Max Palevsky and Pierce mainly. Athletic events are NOT popular...its sad. Theatre and guest speakers get huge support though. I can't say much on the dating scene. I only dated a little my first year, then went into a long term relationship, long distance. The guys here always have some weird quirk, so I gave up. 2AM Tuesday: Leaving the Pub or finishing homework. Traditions: Senior Pub Night, Senior Week, Bag Pipe procession for graduation, Midnight Breakfasts, Major Spring Concert and festival. I party anywhere from 5 times a week to 1 time a month depending on how busy I am. I think fraternities and sororities keep the campus alive and helps keep people social. Saturday Night Options: Dinner, Movie, a play. Off Capus: Movies, Enchanted Castle, food, museums, shop.

We never have fun. We stare at the ground when we walk and won't look at people. We are ugly. They never leave the library or their rooms.

Jesse

Its a hard life, a hard school and you have to be very intellectually motivated. The people generally are not hardcore party-goers and you will definitely get frustrated by the lack of beautiful, promiscuous women. The winter will KILL you. Those 4 months are awful. Really. However, good conversation and nice people might make your day. As well as sosc and all the amazing classes you could take.

Student body improving, although still not amazing. Somewhat dull. But definitely improving.

All in all, its a great place, but sometimes depressing.

i) To a large extent it is accurate, although this is changing. There are many really cool people out there. Students are not the standard beer-chugging college students. Many have never been to a party before and many will not go to a party in their four years here. However, there are many simply cool people out there with whom you can have really great conversations with, even if they dont party. ii) Yes and no. If you are an intellectual, then some of the classes here will make you orgasm. The core is wonderful (except for physci and bio, ugh.) Sosc is the most amazing class you'll take ever. However, a lot of the students are way too goal-oriented. All they think about is that 80,000 dollar i-banking job and dont really care about the intellectual experience. So you might be underwhelmed. iii) They are. Except the Econ core. Which sucks. iv) It is dull, dreary and no fun. There are only 2 pubs, no good restaurants in Hyde park. Its a dull neighborhood, no doubt. v) It is hard. Very hard. But also very satisfying if you do well. Take up the challenge.

Generally great classes. Very competitive students. A lot of discussion based classes. Great stuff in general. Awesome especially if you love arguments. You can argue with your prof in class. However, things are leaning toward getting a job instead of learning for its own sake.

Model UN is great. Theater is great. Open people. Very friendly. Nice place overall.

i) That the students are socially inept. ii) That UChicago is an intellectual haven. iii) That the academics are amazing. iv) That life in UChicago is dull, dreary and no fun. v) That it is a hard school - hard on grading and hard on work.

michael

The best thing about UChicago is it teaches you how to think. Since I've been here, I've undergone a complete intellectual transformation. The core is probably the best academic workout in the world, and it will make you a better person in the end, even if it's painful. The school is a good size, but it's a shame the recognition isn't as high. People are rarely impressed when you tell them where you go.

Everyone is very open-minded and nice here, probably because students are forced to be by the administration. Almost everyone drinks and a ton of people smoke, but no one is ever ridiculed for not drinking and the atmosphere is always very casual. Parties here are way more fun than parties I go to in my hometown where it's just an excuse to play beer pong for 16 straight hours and the talking is limited to trash talking.

Of course not. The Core creates an atmosphere that fosters intellectualism because everyone is required to take the same classes. Beyond that, students are maybe slightly less attractive than normal people but I doubt that's actually true either.

The professors I've had have all been great, but I also get a lot of postdocs teaching me which isn't the best. They're pretty hit or miss but even when they hit I feel like a professor would still be better. People study all the time here--most people don't party except for the weekends and people frequently spend all weekend working anyway.

UChicago students are all albino, smelly, unhygienic, scav hunt-loving weirdos who only talk about kant and particle physics and despise those who take classes that prepare them for the real world. UChicago students are ugly.

Connie

need more career things? not too much though. they probably do a better job now, from what i hear.

some racism, some cliques were formed that seemed to not allow everybody.

the life of the mind is way fun. hume and sosc were some of the most stimulating courses iv had here. enjoy them. rarely will you find time to get that kind of experience again later in life.

the professors remember you several years afterwards. students are not that competitive

Alex

The best thing is the quirky student body. It's the right size. People respect the name UChicago.

The student body is not nearly as diverse as it should be.

Although professors can be rather involved with their own research, once I got past intro-level courses, all my classes have been small enough that interactions with professors are personal. I love the breadth of the curriculum-studying the economics of Ancient Rome, Islamic Gardens, Ancient Greek, and cutting edge biology.

Eternally engaged in the life of the mind

Bobby

The educational lectures made outside of class as public events with big-name speakers are the best thing. I think everything is way to rushed here we need breaks just some down time to catch our breath--so I'd change the pace. When I tell people I go to UofC they act like I accomplished something wonderful. I spend most of my time in the library, reynolds club, and the dining halls. WE HAVE NO COLLEGE TOWN! The biggest recent controversy would have to have been when Amadou (May God have mercy on him) was shot and killed while walking from teh library to his dorm. No, not a lot of pride. I don't feel like very many people love this school, but most people come to like it. It grows on you. I would have to say the fact that UChicago doesn't believe in grade inflation is pretty unsual and strange. The days after Amadou's death and O-week. The most frequent complain I hear is that no matter how hard we try and study and push ourselves to do well our grades don't reflect our effort.

I'm in the Muslim Students Association and it truly gave me a belonging on campus from day one. I'm extremely grateful that this group is active on campus. The type of student who might feel out of place would be one with a weak work ethic who thinks college is a four-year long party. People wear whatever they want but I guess most people wear sweatshirts or t-shirts. Absolutely, I have friends from across America, across the globe and across all sorts of different socio-economic statuses. UofC students seem to think they're going to be rich most of the time but not always.

I don't know how dorky people in other schools are, or what exactly the definition of dorky is, but I realise that other schools seem to have more fun events going on ALLLLLL of the time, like non-stop. (picture reynold's club hosting an event daily, maybe we do have such events, if that's the case then I'm just uninformed--though I do like our educational events as well.) Also Hyde Park is DEAD it needs a mall or a target or a jewel-osco SOMETHING. ¥ea I basically study all of the time, so that's true. But I'm not a genius so I have to study all of the time if I actually want to get somewhere near okay grades in my classes.

Yes I know my professors names. My favorite class is Arabic there's a lot of action in that class. My least favorite class was Chemistry I don't think the teacher knew I existed even though I used to ask questions everyday. Students study daily, if not every other day. I study everyday then give myself a break on Friday and Saturday, unless I have something big going on. I believe most students participate in class. We have intellectual conversations in our dorms at times along with a whole lot of not so intellectual conversations, no one wants to be serious all of the time (well some people do, just not me). I think this is a competitive environment, but it hasn't been too intimidating yet. Reading Cultures I really enjoy all of the interesting topics in that class. I usually go to my teacher's office hours especially for calc and chem. It is not really geared toward getting its students jobs, because if it were there would be grade inflation.

1. I don't know most of the clubs tend to be small 2. MSA=amazing and accepting of people 3. Yes they sleep with their doors open sometimes as well, but that's not always smart 4. Not popular 5. Popular 6. Popular 7. I don't date for religious reasons 8. through the MSA and my classes 9. Homework or studying 10. Winter Festival and o-week 11. I'm not sure maybe once a week or once every two weeks 12. NOT important, except that they supply people with beer an parties-things im not interested in. 13. Last weekend I stayed at school to study then we celebrated my friend's birthday with some cake nothing big. 14. On a saturday night I'm sure there's some type of event going on somewhere on campus that might be somewhat intersting 15. I usually go into Chicago to restaurants and things

They're kind of dorky and they spend all of their time studying

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.