Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Connie

need more career things? not too much though. they probably do a better job now, from what i hear.

some racism, some cliques were formed that seemed to not allow everybody.

the life of the mind is way fun. hume and sosc were some of the most stimulating courses iv had here. enjoy them. rarely will you find time to get that kind of experience again later in life.

the professors remember you several years afterwards. students are not that competitive

Alex

The best thing is the quirky student body. It's the right size. People respect the name UChicago.

The student body is not nearly as diverse as it should be.

Although professors can be rather involved with their own research, once I got past intro-level courses, all my classes have been small enough that interactions with professors are personal. I love the breadth of the curriculum-studying the economics of Ancient Rome, Islamic Gardens, Ancient Greek, and cutting edge biology.

Eternally engaged in the life of the mind

Bobby

The educational lectures made outside of class as public events with big-name speakers are the best thing. I think everything is way to rushed here we need breaks just some down time to catch our breath--so I'd change the pace. When I tell people I go to UofC they act like I accomplished something wonderful. I spend most of my time in the library, reynolds club, and the dining halls. WE HAVE NO COLLEGE TOWN! The biggest recent controversy would have to have been when Amadou (May God have mercy on him) was shot and killed while walking from teh library to his dorm. No, not a lot of pride. I don't feel like very many people love this school, but most people come to like it. It grows on you. I would have to say the fact that UChicago doesn't believe in grade inflation is pretty unsual and strange. The days after Amadou's death and O-week. The most frequent complain I hear is that no matter how hard we try and study and push ourselves to do well our grades don't reflect our effort.

I'm in the Muslim Students Association and it truly gave me a belonging on campus from day one. I'm extremely grateful that this group is active on campus. The type of student who might feel out of place would be one with a weak work ethic who thinks college is a four-year long party. People wear whatever they want but I guess most people wear sweatshirts or t-shirts. Absolutely, I have friends from across America, across the globe and across all sorts of different socio-economic statuses. UofC students seem to think they're going to be rich most of the time but not always.

I don't know how dorky people in other schools are, or what exactly the definition of dorky is, but I realise that other schools seem to have more fun events going on ALLLLLL of the time, like non-stop. (picture reynold's club hosting an event daily, maybe we do have such events, if that's the case then I'm just uninformed--though I do like our educational events as well.) Also Hyde Park is DEAD it needs a mall or a target or a jewel-osco SOMETHING. ¥ea I basically study all of the time, so that's true. But I'm not a genius so I have to study all of the time if I actually want to get somewhere near okay grades in my classes.

Yes I know my professors names. My favorite class is Arabic there's a lot of action in that class. My least favorite class was Chemistry I don't think the teacher knew I existed even though I used to ask questions everyday. Students study daily, if not every other day. I study everyday then give myself a break on Friday and Saturday, unless I have something big going on. I believe most students participate in class. We have intellectual conversations in our dorms at times along with a whole lot of not so intellectual conversations, no one wants to be serious all of the time (well some people do, just not me). I think this is a competitive environment, but it hasn't been too intimidating yet. Reading Cultures I really enjoy all of the interesting topics in that class. I usually go to my teacher's office hours especially for calc and chem. It is not really geared toward getting its students jobs, because if it were there would be grade inflation.

1. I don't know most of the clubs tend to be small 2. MSA=amazing and accepting of people 3. Yes they sleep with their doors open sometimes as well, but that's not always smart 4. Not popular 5. Popular 6. Popular 7. I don't date for religious reasons 8. through the MSA and my classes 9. Homework or studying 10. Winter Festival and o-week 11. I'm not sure maybe once a week or once every two weeks 12. NOT important, except that they supply people with beer an parties-things im not interested in. 13. Last weekend I stayed at school to study then we celebrated my friend's birthday with some cake nothing big. 14. On a saturday night I'm sure there's some type of event going on somewhere on campus that might be somewhat intersting 15. I usually go into Chicago to restaurants and things

They're kind of dorky and they spend all of their time studying

Brett

I would say everyone on the campus is smart, yes, and there are always awkward people in any group, but there are plenty of normal people too...

My favorite class so far would be my introduction to linguistics class -- no surprise, since I'm a ling major! My least favorite would probably be Spanish, which is unfortunately structured like a high school class...lots of busywork and group projects.

Stereotypically we're all extremely smart but extremely awkward people.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.