Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Jing

They are quirky, funny, intellectual beyond belief, way smarter than me, and successful like I one day want to be.

Their essay questions were wacky and interesting to think about. They love to have fun and made sure to emphasize their awesome annual scavenger hunts and other interesting traditions. They emphasize growing as an intellectual and learning how to think intuitively instead of just learning how to memorize effectively.

I haven't gotten to college yet as I'm an incoming freshman, but my college visit was valuable as I was able to experience the feeling of walking through the college campus and being able to imagine myself there in the fall as an attendee. I also got to find out more about what students at UChicago are like from the tour guide who seemed to be everything I admire in a person: successful, interesting, and strong. She also obviously had a thirst for knowledge as she told us about her research on UChicago and taught us some of the more quirky maybe-facts about the school (Indiana Jones was apparently based off of a UChic professor!) I loved the idea of going there from that visit, and that motivated me to apply and write a compelling essay.

Frank

I graduated High Scool in 1984, and I've had a great life since then, until 2006 when I was disabled due to an injury at work. Now it's 2010 and I am a second semester freshman, I am majoring in Information Management with an emphasis on Web Design/Library Sciences. In the two semesters I have attended school I've learned to again appreciate the basics of learning. In the short period that I have been back to school I realized that I should have done this 25 years ago, and not waited until a life altering event made me do it. Everyone at school has gone out of their way to make learning fun, I have gotten so excited about school I actually lead a study group for my Humanities class this semester, and was proud of the fact that I made Dean's List for my 1st semester. My life has been forever changed by going back to school, and even attending a simple community college like I am, once you start you'll truelly enjoy it.

Kathryn

My classmates at the University of Chicago vary from extremely quiet to annoyingly outspoken, but they have all challenged me to take on perspectives I had never considered.

Its slogan: "Where fun comes to die."

From only one full quarter of classes at the University of Chicago, I have learned that it is not only acceptable to be a bit nerdy, but that everyone is kind of a dork in his or her own right. Like beauty, "weirdness" is also in the eye of the beholder. Throughout my four years of high school, I was always teased for doing my homework early, answering questions in class, and, God forbid, actually studying for exams. Now, at the University of Chicago, I am not teased for being a nerd, but for being a jock. My classmates, unless they are athletes here as well, do not even realize the University of Chicago has athletic teams, and hence mock me for being on one of said teams or claiming I didn't have to work as hard as they did to get in because my coach got me in. However, I know for a fact my Volleyball team could defeat any other student here in a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter trivia competition. The value of Chicago lies in the fact that, here, I am truly a student-athlete for the first time in my life.

Monica

The University of Chicago lives up to its reputation of being a school that steals the soul. It steals your soul, deprives you of wild frat parties, crazed sporting events and people with proper social skills. But after four years, you get your soul back and it's smarter, calmer, and more grounded. College for most people at Chicago feels like torture: endless hours of studying, brainstorming and working tirelessly to generate innovative ways of solving problems. Graduating, however, then bestows you with an unbelievable new strength. After surviving such a demanding place, your newly returned soul feels ready to conquer whatever life may throw at it and I guess I have to thank the University of Chicago for that feeling.

The best thing about the University of Chicago is that it allows you to express your inner nerd, to learn new and interesting ways of looking at the world and to brag about your intellectual curiousities.

You will learn more at the University of Chicago than you could have imagined and after you graduate, you feel prepared for whatever life may throw at you.

Jon

Through my college experience at the University of Chicago, I have killed any shred of fear I ever had with respect to pursuing and researching new ideas. Fear of failure is no longer an option. I wouldn't say that I was some sort of panphobic-personality before I came here, but I experienced so much success in High School that even the notion of failure by any means seemed foreign and completely taboo. UChicago quickly made the notion familiar as I competed as well as collaborated with some of the best minds in the world. UChicago's goal is not to belittle you, but to break down the arrogant shell people like me enter with--the shell that only accepts "right answers" and doesn't dare question their assumptions. Researchers here know full well that it is impossible to innovate if there is no significant risk of failure involved. A common sentiment around here is that "what is currently considered unpopular is often just that which is unexplored". UChicago has taught me to embrace this uncharted territory. Now, I am willing to take calculated risk in forming ideas--allowing me to take my first baby-steps into the unknown.

The research and coursework opportunities for undergraduates are incredible given the large graduate student population. This allows undergraduates to immediately get their hands on cutting edge work to determine if they really are interested in and excited by their chosen field of study. This is a huge advantage over other schools that are mostly undergraduate institutions and, thus, focus more on teaching the basics rather than truly expanding the boundaries of human knowledge.

University of Chicago affiliates have earned 85 Nobel prizes and counting--pretty much every year, another one or two more Nobel prizes are added. This is an intense academic institution and the people it produces and/or incubates are immediately ready to enter into academia and many other fields. The constant academic discussion and idea-sharing with the greatest minds in the world kills all sense of fear associated with presenting and researching ideas. This leads to leads to greater illumination as well as excellence, no matter what the field.

Hamsini

UChicago provides a haven for academic and intellectual pursuit, and instills a love of learning while exposing students to the rich complexity and diversity of the world and so fostering civic engagement and community involvement.

Students here pursue knowledge for its own sake, but are saved from being classified as intellectual eggheads by a quirky sense of humor and a high level of involvement in extracurricular activities.

The transition from high school to college is terrifying--academically and personally--but don't let that hold you back. Throw yourself into life at your new school, try everything that appeals to you, and take advantage of the rich opportunities afforded by college life. School is important, but what you do outside of it is just as important; instead of obsessively monitoring your GPA, find something you've never experienced before and go out and do it. College is a unique time for experimentation, inside and outside the lab. Take advantage of the diverse cultures you will no doubt encounter, the extracurricular lectures by people passionate about their subject, however obscure it might be, the myriad opportunities for self-expression through sport and art, and most importantly, your peers. I've discovered it, and so will you--you will get the most out of college when you stop worrying about what comes next and instead allow yourself to fully experience and learn from the present. Find a balance between the library and the frat party, your hobbies and your career plans. This is the time to explore.

Hassan

If I could go back and warn myself about the transition to college I would tell myself to buckle down. I would tell myself that I have to change my high school state of mind in which everything is provided for you and you don't have to make any extra effort. College is about being an adult and nothing is provided for you. You must do everything for yourself, no one will do it for you. I would also warn myself to get rid of the carefree attitude. In college you should try to eceed your own expectation and just try to get by. Also I would tell myself not register for classes your friends tell you to sign up for, always go to an advisor. the advisor will know more about the classes you need for your field of study than your friends. This will help not waste time money on classes you don't need. You also need to be focused on what you want to and take steps to achieve your goals.

What I like best about UIC is all the resources that are provided. There is tutoring for Math, Science, and Writing. The library is a part of the I-share program which allows to borrow books from all the collegiate libraries in Illinois. The student support programs help in many things such as laptop and calculator renting. There is also the U-Pass which gives unlimited rides on the CTA so commuting is easier.

The kind of person that should not attend UIC is a lazy person. UIC is fast paced with big classes and you can fall behind very quickly. So to keep up with your professor and classmates you have to work very hard. A person who is a procrastinator also should not attend. There are fixed deadlines and they must met with no exceptions.

Adele

My classmates are the type of people that can be a little daunting because they are so determined to succed, but when one looks past that, they become the type of people who are intelligent, hardworking, and reasonable and who, because of their determination, will push a person to become competitive and driven when it comes to academics.

Dear Del-Rae, A person isn't smarter if they go to a prestigious university or are from a family full of doctors or lawyers or geniuses. It doesn't matter that you come from humble beginnings, it just means that you have to work a little harder than most. You can't feel insecure about where you come from because those events, those people have shaped you into who are. They've grounded you and made you able to empathize with others that are less fortunate. You are not less intelligent because of where your from so don't feel so insecure. As in high school, some of the smartest people may be hidden in those everyday people. The janitor with a history degree or a mother who knows you better than anyone. Education is the big equalizer, but there are different kinds of education, not one more profound than the other and you can find it almost anywhere. Don't forget that.

I think the one thing that I wished I had known before I came to this school was that Chicago really is cold.

Will

The University of Chicago is unique in that they expressed a sincere interest in understanding and connecting with my philosophy, rather than just that which showed up on my resume. The only essay that I wrote specifically tailored towards any of the schools that I applied to was the University of Chicago's. This was a function of the quirkiness of the essay questions and of the connection that I felt with the school and the city. This connection existed only with Chicago because only Chicago was communicate its unique features in ways that departed from the standard university boilerplate.

I would tell myself that my group of friends would change, but my relations with people and my fundamental social outlook did not have to change with it. I would tell myself that while the presentation of academics would change, my general academic interests need not. I would tell myself that though I would be leaving my family, this did not prevent me from having strong enough bonds with people that I could rely on them to provide the same level of support as my family. Having said all this, I would tell myself to abandon the expectations that I had about college, and not to adopt any new ones. I would emphasize living without specific expectations, but with confidence that the transition to college would bring me more happiness than I could possibly imagine. If my advice to myself could be boiled down to a single sentence, I would tell myself that making the transition from Florida to Chicago requires nothing more than a winter coat and an open mind.

Students who seek majors like "pre-law" or "pre-med," and who acquire knowledge through the prism of how it will serve them in professional school would have difficulty adapting to the University's classes. Students who would participate in and rise to leadership roles in extracurriculars with an eye towards their resume would be an anomaly in the University's organizations. By the same token, students who would not leave the confines of the study rooms to maintain their GPAs would neither fit in at the University nor achieve higher GPAs.

Ryan

I would advise myself not to be so set on a particular path for life, as things change during and throughout college. It's best to stay open-minded and explore new experiences and meet new people. This is an important part of the 'getting an education' deal that college provides.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.