Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Hassan

If I could go back and warn myself about the transition to college I would tell myself to buckle down. I would tell myself that I have to change my high school state of mind in which everything is provided for you and you don't have to make any extra effort. College is about being an adult and nothing is provided for you. You must do everything for yourself, no one will do it for you. I would also warn myself to get rid of the carefree attitude. In college you should try to eceed your own expectation and just try to get by. Also I would tell myself not register for classes your friends tell you to sign up for, always go to an advisor. the advisor will know more about the classes you need for your field of study than your friends. This will help not waste time money on classes you don't need. You also need to be focused on what you want to and take steps to achieve your goals.

What I like best about UIC is all the resources that are provided. There is tutoring for Math, Science, and Writing. The library is a part of the I-share program which allows to borrow books from all the collegiate libraries in Illinois. The student support programs help in many things such as laptop and calculator renting. There is also the U-Pass which gives unlimited rides on the CTA so commuting is easier.

The kind of person that should not attend UIC is a lazy person. UIC is fast paced with big classes and you can fall behind very quickly. So to keep up with your professor and classmates you have to work very hard. A person who is a procrastinator also should not attend. There are fixed deadlines and they must met with no exceptions.

Adele

My classmates are the type of people that can be a little daunting because they are so determined to succed, but when one looks past that, they become the type of people who are intelligent, hardworking, and reasonable and who, because of their determination, will push a person to become competitive and driven when it comes to academics.

Dear Del-Rae, A person isn't smarter if they go to a prestigious university or are from a family full of doctors or lawyers or geniuses. It doesn't matter that you come from humble beginnings, it just means that you have to work a little harder than most. You can't feel insecure about where you come from because those events, those people have shaped you into who are. They've grounded you and made you able to empathize with others that are less fortunate. You are not less intelligent because of where your from so don't feel so insecure. As in high school, some of the smartest people may be hidden in those everyday people. The janitor with a history degree or a mother who knows you better than anyone. Education is the big equalizer, but there are different kinds of education, not one more profound than the other and you can find it almost anywhere. Don't forget that.

I think the one thing that I wished I had known before I came to this school was that Chicago really is cold.

Will

The University of Chicago is unique in that they expressed a sincere interest in understanding and connecting with my philosophy, rather than just that which showed up on my resume. The only essay that I wrote specifically tailored towards any of the schools that I applied to was the University of Chicago's. This was a function of the quirkiness of the essay questions and of the connection that I felt with the school and the city. This connection existed only with Chicago because only Chicago was communicate its unique features in ways that departed from the standard university boilerplate.

I would tell myself that my group of friends would change, but my relations with people and my fundamental social outlook did not have to change with it. I would tell myself that while the presentation of academics would change, my general academic interests need not. I would tell myself that though I would be leaving my family, this did not prevent me from having strong enough bonds with people that I could rely on them to provide the same level of support as my family. Having said all this, I would tell myself to abandon the expectations that I had about college, and not to adopt any new ones. I would emphasize living without specific expectations, but with confidence that the transition to college would bring me more happiness than I could possibly imagine. If my advice to myself could be boiled down to a single sentence, I would tell myself that making the transition from Florida to Chicago requires nothing more than a winter coat and an open mind.

Students who seek majors like "pre-law" or "pre-med," and who acquire knowledge through the prism of how it will serve them in professional school would have difficulty adapting to the University's classes. Students who would participate in and rise to leadership roles in extracurriculars with an eye towards their resume would be an anomaly in the University's organizations. By the same token, students who would not leave the confines of the study rooms to maintain their GPAs would neither fit in at the University nor achieve higher GPAs.

Ryan

I would advise myself not to be so set on a particular path for life, as things change during and throughout college. It's best to stay open-minded and explore new experiences and meet new people. This is an important part of the 'getting an education' deal that college provides.

Danielle

My school is known for its academics.

My school is known for its academics.

My class mates were very determined and unique.

I would tell myself to be a little more focused on my future goals. I would tell myself to be a little more trusting of my abilities. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stay true to God and to self.

Kirstie

I would advise not to think too highly of myself. High school is a fairly minor step and there is a long way to go before I'm grown up. Keep up with friends and family because they are always there for you. Stay grounded, and don't be afraid to work hard. Don't over do it though.

People who don't care where they are going in life.

Bernard

I would tell myself to be a little more outgoing as a freshmen. Making friends with other freshmen when you start college is a great way to make lasting friendships throughout college. Making friends with a peer in the same situation makes it easier to transition into college because you have a go-to person who is probably undergoing the same difficulties in terms of transitioning. Being involved in a univeristy is key to social networking that can potentially help you in the long run; i belive that a student should be as outgoing as possible as well as open-minded. If a student isn't interested in expanding their horizons, then college becomes a chore and it makes it feel much longer than it really is. Being open to change leads to new experiences and college is all about the experience.

Someone looking to meet new friends fast; unless the student plans to live on UIC through on-campus housing, i do not recommend UIC as a university where one would make quick friends. It requires effot and is considerably difficult if a student does not live on campus.

The most frustrating thing about UIC is the student body and friendliness; a lot of the student body seems to stick with their cliques. Although the school is very diverese, many people seem to be afraid to step out of their comfort zone; however, the school does promote diversity. It is just the students who do not practice trying new things very often.

Lyndsey

I think I would tell myself to stop worrying about all the wrong things. It's true that college is really different from high school, but that's the key word -- different. So many of our teachers in high school made it sound like college would be this frightening place where our instructor would be some distant scholar who handed our papers off to a TA to grade. Maybe it's like that at other colleges, but here, our professors are even more accessible and down-to-earth than our teachers were in high school. You have to function as an adult in college, sure, but functioning as an adult also means that a lot of the barriers that were there in high school have now melted away. You can discuss your papers with your professor over a cup of coffee -- I've even had professors who have given me a phone number to contact them, or granted me extentions on my papers when my courseload was getting rough. I can't say as much about anyone at my high school. It's a different world, but it's different in a good way.

Aramark's dining services are all less than satisfactory.

Sonia

"I would say, "Don't be shy. Act confident and your attitude will follow. Trust me, it makes the transition and the overall college experience much easier." That encompasses just about everything, but I would also add: "Don't worry about the long-distance thing, it will all work out." "Buy a U-lock for your bike, or at least don't tie it up outside with that cheap lock at night..." "Also, don't leave your new coat unattended at frat parties. Drunk people can't distinguish between your coat and their own..."

Someone who enjoys a challenge and wants to experience something new and different.

This school is academically challenging...in a good way. People here crave knowledge. Often, classroom discussions make their way to the dining tables! Yet, school doesn't consume our lives. Having a social life is also a part of the learning experience! From joining a campus organization, to simply making a new friend, the opportunities to socialize are endless. We have people from a wide variety of backgrounds here, and it's amazingly fun to learn about a language, a country, or even a culture through the connections we make. Plus, we have the entire city of Chicago to explore!

Jonathan

Don't take things so seriously! Relax, college will be here faster than you know, and you WILL be prepared. Don't disregard your classes now, but don't stress, either. Recognize that you don't have much time left with these people, so savor it; but when it's time to move, on, be prepared to move on. Don't try to make Facebook friends with everyone in your class before you even show up to campus. Above all, remember to just relax. You applied to the college because you think it'll be a fit, and you were accepted because admissions thinks you'll be a fit. You'll be fine!

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.