Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Chicago

Fixed  rate loan

Danielle

My class mates were very determined and unique.

My class mates were very determined and unique.

My school is known for its academics.

I would tell myself to be a little more focused on my future goals. I would tell myself to be a little more trusting of my abilities. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stay true to God and to self.

Kirstie

I would advise not to think too highly of myself. High school is a fairly minor step and there is a long way to go before I'm grown up. Keep up with friends and family because they are always there for you. Stay grounded, and don't be afraid to work hard. Don't over do it though.

People who don't care where they are going in life.

Bernard

I would tell myself to be a little more outgoing as a freshmen. Making friends with other freshmen when you start college is a great way to make lasting friendships throughout college. Making friends with a peer in the same situation makes it easier to transition into college because you have a go-to person who is probably undergoing the same difficulties in terms of transitioning. Being involved in a univeristy is key to social networking that can potentially help you in the long run; i belive that a student should be as outgoing as possible as well as open-minded. If a student isn't interested in expanding their horizons, then college becomes a chore and it makes it feel much longer than it really is. Being open to change leads to new experiences and college is all about the experience.

Someone looking to meet new friends fast; unless the student plans to live on UIC through on-campus housing, i do not recommend UIC as a university where one would make quick friends. It requires effot and is considerably difficult if a student does not live on campus.

The most frustrating thing about UIC is the student body and friendliness; a lot of the student body seems to stick with their cliques. Although the school is very diverese, many people seem to be afraid to step out of their comfort zone; however, the school does promote diversity. It is just the students who do not practice trying new things very often.

Lyndsey

I think I would tell myself to stop worrying about all the wrong things. It's true that college is really different from high school, but that's the key word -- different. So many of our teachers in high school made it sound like college would be this frightening place where our instructor would be some distant scholar who handed our papers off to a TA to grade. Maybe it's like that at other colleges, but here, our professors are even more accessible and down-to-earth than our teachers were in high school. You have to function as an adult in college, sure, but functioning as an adult also means that a lot of the barriers that were there in high school have now melted away. You can discuss your papers with your professor over a cup of coffee -- I've even had professors who have given me a phone number to contact them, or granted me extentions on my papers when my courseload was getting rough. I can't say as much about anyone at my high school. It's a different world, but it's different in a good way.

Aramark's dining services are all less than satisfactory.

Sonia

"I would say, "Don't be shy. Act confident and your attitude will follow. Trust me, it makes the transition and the overall college experience much easier." That encompasses just about everything, but I would also add: "Don't worry about the long-distance thing, it will all work out." "Buy a U-lock for your bike, or at least don't tie it up outside with that cheap lock at night..." "Also, don't leave your new coat unattended at frat parties. Drunk people can't distinguish between your coat and their own..."

Someone who enjoys a challenge and wants to experience something new and different.

This school is academically challenging...in a good way. People here crave knowledge. Often, classroom discussions make their way to the dining tables! Yet, school doesn't consume our lives. Having a social life is also a part of the learning experience! From joining a campus organization, to simply making a new friend, the opportunities to socialize are endless. We have people from a wide variety of backgrounds here, and it's amazingly fun to learn about a language, a country, or even a culture through the connections we make. Plus, we have the entire city of Chicago to explore!

Jonathan

Don't take things so seriously! Relax, college will be here faster than you know, and you WILL be prepared. Don't disregard your classes now, but don't stress, either. Recognize that you don't have much time left with these people, so savor it; but when it's time to move, on, be prepared to move on. Don't try to make Facebook friends with everyone in your class before you even show up to campus. Above all, remember to just relax. You applied to the college because you think it'll be a fit, and you were accepted because admissions thinks you'll be a fit. You'll be fine!

Ido

Everyone here is really engaged with their learning , and you will a spectrum of students ranging from the laid back to the extremely studious with everything in between; regardless of the intensity with which they study though, almost everyone you'll meet at the University of Chicago is extremely nice, if not genuine.

If I could tell my high school senior self one thing, it would be to always remember that people are important. No matter how impatient you might become due to self-absorption or stress, a moment of patience never takes that much effort and goes a long way to make both the transition into college and the actual stay there a much more pleasant experience. Aside from being a basic rule of respect, remembering that other people are important and worth your attention will give you better friends and kinder acquaintances; it will more fully immerse you both into the college community and the lives of others who will become an increasingly big part of your own life as you live, study, and spend the next four years with them. Simply put, it makes life better?and easier?to know that you care about your friends and to act accordingly. So be kind and be patient, it is not that hard to do.

You should definitely care more about your learning than the other activities undergraduates are notorious for pursuing if you plan on enjoying the University of Chicago, but there are plenty of those activities too and, contrary to its reputation, plenty of fun to be had. Just be ready for the winter.

Alanna

My school creates well rounded through our unique curriculum, The Core This was, at first, frustrating; why do I need physics when I am studying culture? However, I can now see how much The Core has benefited me. I can see philosophical arguments in my anthropology readings. The Core has helped me to connect all knowledge gained in all classes, enhancing my academic experience in school and ensuring a healthy mind and love for learning the future. The University of Chicago is a place where the educational experience is an odyssey of overlapping and correlating subjects, ideas, theories and concepts.

My transition from high school to college?from adolescent to adult?was, in all honesty, difficult. When I first stepped on campus, I was a determined pre-med with an 8-year plan mapped out before me, and, while I enjoyed all areas of learning, I was focused on medicine, biology, and The Plan.Imagine my surprise when I realized that, while biology was fun and interested me, I did not have the same passion that my professors had. I was interested, but not fascinated, and I refused to settle for anything less than fascination and passion.My plan disappeared and I was terrified; I felt as though I needed to know exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.This is when I discovered anthropology, spending a quarter intensively studying culture. I found a whole new perspective, curiosity, and passion?the passion I had been missing as a pre-med.From this experience emerges the advice I would share with myself: "Embrace and explore all avenues of knowledge and interest. Have goals, but don't be afraid if the plan changes. Most importantly, be open to change, because, after all, it is inevitable."

Erika

It's important to keep in mind that there's no such thing as the perfect college, and finding the right one for you requires some give and take. Location, financial aid, reputation, academics, social scene, athletics, it's a lot to consider. It's a bit of a gamble because no two college experiences are the same, but what makes it the right one for you is ultimately how you see yourself fitting in. Maybe you prefer a college with a strong athletic program but your parents are concerned about the financial aid, or maybe your parents are pushing for the more reputable college when you're more concerned with location. It's important to take in others' advice but remember that what matters is what's important to you. Trust your instincts and don't worry if you don't have that "ah-ha" moment the second you go on the college visit; it takes time and thought. Whatever you end up deciding know that what's going to make or break the experience is you. You might love it or end up transferring, but no matter what have a positive attitude and make the best of it.

I wish the dating and social scene were better.

Rebecca

Have at least some idea of what you want out of college before deciding where to go. You're allowed to take a year off to explore different things if you really don't know what you want. Don't forget about weather. Even if you can handle cold weather, that doesn't mean you won't want to play outside year round. Don't forget cost, because finances will be an issue eventually. And if the school isn't perfect, you will start to think about how much you're spending on imperfection. Keep in mind that much of what you get out of college is self-motivated; what you learn will depend more on you than it will on the college that you choose. Every school has the resources to help you become great. Reading the chapter before class is always helpful. If you do the reading and keep up with what you're supposed to know, everything makes a lot more sense and you don't feel like you've fallen behind. If you ever feel like you're falling behind, ask for help IMMEDIATELY. Asking questions you don't know the answer to is never dumb.

I wish I had known that so many people weren't happy with the school. I also wish I had known that there is a lot of self-teaching at this school. Professors expect you to read and get a pretty good understanding of stuff on your own.

There is sometimes an attitude that people don't seem to want to be going to this school, especially in the winter when it's really cold.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.