Chicago, IL
University of Chicago

Alanna

My school creates well rounded through our unique curriculum, The Core This was, at first, frustrating; why do I need physics when I am studying culture? However, I can now see how much The Core has benefited me. I can see philosophical arguments in my anthropology readings. The Core has helped me to connect all knowledge gained in all classes, enhancing my academic experience in school and ensuring a healthy mind and love for learning the future. The University of Chicago is a place where the educational experience is an odyssey of overlapping and correlating subjects, ideas, theories and concepts.

My transition from high school to college?from adolescent to adult?was, in all honesty, difficult. When I first stepped on campus, I was a determined pre-med with an 8-year plan mapped out before me, and, while I enjoyed all areas of learning, I was focused on medicine, biology, and The Plan.Imagine my surprise when I realized that, while biology was fun and interested me, I did not have the same passion that my professors had. I was interested, but not fascinated, and I refused to settle for anything less than fascination and passion.My plan disappeared and I was terrified; I felt as though I needed to know exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.This is when I discovered anthropology, spending a quarter intensively studying culture. I found a whole new perspective, curiosity, and passion?the passion I had been missing as a pre-med.From this experience emerges the advice I would share with myself: "Embrace and explore all avenues of knowledge and interest. Have goals, but don't be afraid if the plan changes. Most importantly, be open to change, because, after all, it is inevitable."

Erika

It's important to keep in mind that there's no such thing as the perfect college, and finding the right one for you requires some give and take. Location, financial aid, reputation, academics, social scene, athletics, it's a lot to consider. It's a bit of a gamble because no two college experiences are the same, but what makes it the right one for you is ultimately how you see yourself fitting in. Maybe you prefer a college with a strong athletic program but your parents are concerned about the financial aid, or maybe your parents are pushing for the more reputable college when you're more concerned with location. It's important to take in others' advice but remember that what matters is what's important to you. Trust your instincts and don't worry if you don't have that "ah-ha" moment the second you go on the college visit; it takes time and thought. Whatever you end up deciding know that what's going to make or break the experience is you. You might love it or end up transferring, but no matter what have a positive attitude and make the best of it.

I wish the dating and social scene were better.

Rebecca

Have at least some idea of what you want out of college before deciding where to go. You're allowed to take a year off to explore different things if you really don't know what you want. Don't forget about weather. Even if you can handle cold weather, that doesn't mean you won't want to play outside year round. Don't forget cost, because finances will be an issue eventually. And if the school isn't perfect, you will start to think about how much you're spending on imperfection. Keep in mind that much of what you get out of college is self-motivated; what you learn will depend more on you than it will on the college that you choose. Every school has the resources to help you become great. Reading the chapter before class is always helpful. If you do the reading and keep up with what you're supposed to know, everything makes a lot more sense and you don't feel like you've fallen behind. If you ever feel like you're falling behind, ask for help IMMEDIATELY. Asking questions you don't know the answer to is never dumb.

I wish I had known that so many people weren't happy with the school. I also wish I had known that there is a lot of self-teaching at this school. Professors expect you to read and get a pretty good understanding of stuff on your own.

There is sometimes an attitude that people don't seem to want to be going to this school, especially in the winter when it's really cold.

Steffi

Oddly enough, my philosophy on colleges is the same as my philosophy on clothes. Forget brand names; shop for style and fit. Which sweater, which school allows you to express exactly who you are and what you stand for? If the shoe fits, you've found your perfect university. Websites boast about college rankings and flaunt statistics, but their job is to tell you which schools are good, not which school is good for YOU. Only you can do that. Research and become an expert on the colleges you're interested in. Apply. Visit the schools who accept you as you are. Choose. Go. Thrive. Once I got there, I had to make some adjustments. I discovered people, joined thirteen different student organizations, encountered constant intellectual stimulation, and developed something called a "social life". Trying to balance that sometimes knocks you off your feet. Regaining (or even just establishing) your footing will take time... and sleep, no matter how many times we say we don't need it!

The worst things are things we cannot help: it being located on the South Side of Chicago and its winters.

The most frustrating thing about my school is also the best: Being constantly surrounded by the some of the most brilliant people of our generation. I'm intimidated at the worst of times, but I've never been more inspired.

Julia

I would tell students and parents to make sure that the school they choose is really the school that is right for the student. I chose a school that required a large financial investment, but I feel that it has already paid off with the caliber of education and the alumni connections I have received. In order to make the most of the college experience, students should seek out every possible opportunity on campus and connect with as many people as possible because the college experience can only be enriched by learning as much as possible and meeting as many interesting people as possible. Students should also visit the college campus and spend time talking to the current students, over taking a campus tour, to get to know whether or not the college is the right fit for them.

The passion of the students. It allows for really great and interesting classes that revolve around discussion or peer support.

Someone who is not extremely interested in academics and learning for learning's sake.

Sean

The University of Chicago is unique in that it is truly a haven for the academic thinker, a place where one is embraced for being a ?nerd.? It is a place where one can see any number of self deprecating t-shirts which take pride in the fact that we are not your typical university, one of the favorites displays the phrase, ?where fun comes to die.? You will often find students studying on the weekends rather than attending the nearest fraternity party. The University is unique in that there is a student culture unlike any other in the country.

The best advice that I can give to parents and students, regarding the college experience, is to keep everything in perspective, and realize that attending college is more than just a GPA, a football team, or a weekend party. The years spent in college are meant to prepare you for life after college, which includes not only what you learn in class, but also how to regulate your own life, manage your own time, work in a competitive and stressful environment, and even how socialize and relate with your peers; in sum, it is named the college experience for a reason, because it is truly the overall experience and not any individual aspect of the college that is the most important. As such, when picking a school, consider whether or not the school will provide you with the opportunity to grow, not only mentally, but also as an individual who will eventually be responsible for functioning in the ?real world.? If you are able to keep this scary and inevitable fact in mind, both when you are choosing a school and while you are attending school, then you should be able to truly get the most of the college experience.

Any student who cares more about their GPA than the actual material learned should not attend the University of Chicago, which is known for having one of the lowest average GPAs in the nation. Expect to spend large quantities of time in the library reading, studying, and preparing for all of your classes; there is no such thing as a ?slack class? at this school, and, as such, you will be assigned a healthy amount of work for every class. Any student who wants to specialize in a field of study immediately should not attend this university.

Casie

The most important thing when looking for a college is finding a college that fits you. In other words find a college that is offering you what you are looking for as far a programs for your major as well as activities and hobbies that you are interested in. Some people only live half the college experience. Some people do the work but don't enjoy the fun that college has to offer as well as some people have too much fun while they are struggling to pass classes. I feel like the ultimate college experience will definitely include time management. With time management, you are able to juggle fun and learning and being able to do it stress free. One of the "do nots" in looking for a college is definitely going to a college because your friend does because what may be a good college for your friend may be a terrible college for you. College holds the ticket to your future, you just have to make sure you hop on the right train.

The best thing about my school is the academics and the guarantee of receiving a good education as well as being well prepared for the future. This goes as far as careers and achieving life-long goals. I say this because the professors push us to do our best, and they have a low tolerance for failure.

The worst thing about my school is the feeling that sometimes we are not as diverse as we could be. I say this because sometimes it feels like people of different races seem uncomfortable around each other. It is really hard for me also because I am African American, and sometimes I feel the tension.

University of Chicago administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.