University of Chicago

« See more reviews of University of Chicago

i) To a large extent it is accurate, although this is changing. There are many really cool people out there. Students are not the standard beer-chugging college students. Many have never been to a party before and many will not go to a party in their four years here. However, there are many simply cool people out there with whom you can have really great conversations with, even if they dont party. ii) Yes and no. If you are an intellectual, then some of the classes here will make you orgasm. The core is wonderful (except for physci and bio, ugh.) Sosc is the most amazing class you'll take ever. However, a lot of the students are way too goal-oriented. All they think about is that 80,000 dollar i-banking job and dont really care about the intellectual experience. So you might be underwhelmed. iii) They are. Except the Econ core. Which sucks. iv) It is dull, dreary and no fun. There are only 2 pubs, no good restaurants in Hyde park. Its a dull neighborhood, no doubt. v) It is hard. Very hard. But also very satisfying if you do well. Take up the challenge.

Yes and no. Yes, everyone who goes here is for the most ridiculously smart. But they also have fun. No, binge drinking is not a huge thing at this University, although it is true that those who party often party hard, and those who don't don't really at all. We do occasionally talk about Foucault at parties and dating is difficult -- there is a contingent of socially incapable males here and as a female I've had to modify my flirting techniques so as to send the wrong signals. But everyone is not an econ major, and those that are do have souls; we have fun, but that fun doesn't involve all that much beer pong; our parties, I am happy to say, are often themed (Eurotrash anyone?) so that conversation topics are huilt in to one's clothes; we can play beer pong, there are frats and frat parties if you want them, and I for one am not rich at all and that is not all that uncommon. We do read all the time and I have spent a few Saturday nights in the library, but college is as much about if not more about academics than beer anyway.

Not at all. I was worried about the same stereotypes before coming here, but after coming here as a student, I realize that these stereotypes aren't true at all. "Where fun goes to die"/"where the squirrels are cuter than the girls and more aggressive than the guys"/many other UChicago stereotypes were t-shirt slogans made up by the dorms here for fundraising purposes, but people that don't go to this school take them seriously. You will have fun if you want to have fun. The students here are amazing, really intelligent, and incredibly diverse. Of course, there are some nerdy, anti-social people here like there are at all great schools, but by no means are they the majority. In addition, classes here are rigorous, but by no means impossible or overwhelming. And despite common belief, there is a lot of time to do things other than homework at this school.

Yes and no. As you might imagine, there are all types of people at the school - jocks, artists, pre-med, econ majors, classics majors ? not only that but the small undergrad student body shares the campus with the large graduate student population (which is just as diverse). On the other hand, because of the reputation of the school (it?s viewed as a pretty serious and intense place), the undergrad population at U of C is pretty self-selecting and so a good number of the students are fairly studious and introverted ? then again, that?s not entirely fair to the people I knew who were hardly as one dimensional as that sounds (heck, most of my friends weren?t even all that ugly).

To an extent. There are plenty of people that definitely do not fit the mold, and even more people that are quirky and yet extremely social. I feel most people fit at least one the stereotypes, but in a good way; you never run out of new and interesting people to meet. Though I will admit, sometimes you catch a glance of some people and wonder how long it's been since they last saw the light of day. As for the work.. it's not as bad as you would think, and it's worse than you could imagine. It varies depending on your classes and what part of the quarter you're in.

To a certain degree they are true. It is a pretty nerdy student population, but not in a bad way necessarily. I mean, everyone in your classes is there because they want to, which makes for a great dynamic. There are some downsides. I'll never forget one of the first parties I went to where a fist fight almost broke out that was started by "Tolstoy's Christianity is anti-fundamentalist! Read War and Peace asshole!" So you get some really pretentious people, and a lot of "That-Kid"s, but overall we aren't as bad as we're made out to be.

Mostly, yes. I've spent more than one Friday night in doing a crossword puzzle, but when we stay in, it's largely due to the fact that our brains are sapped from all the work we do, and it's impossible to function without some sleep!! We don't sleep much here, and I think that's where the stereotypes come from. Yeah, there are some people who act like they've never seen a person of the opposite sex, let alone talked to one, but most of us, though nerdy, are perfectly capable of functioning on a social level.

See and ye shall find. You will find a segment of students who do little else but work, but my impression is that a) that workload is self-imposed (i.e. nobody's forcing you to take honors analysis!) and that b) sometimes work can act as a safety blanket for people who are a little afraid to socialize. I feel like on any given night, I can find people hanging out, watching TV, and playing midnight soccer, and I can also go to the Reg and find people working very hard. Which one is the "right" U of C?

Yes and no. There are some truly brilliant people here, and, as truly brilliant people tend to be, they are weird. But usually they're weird in the "hey I think we should get together and make a suspension bridge out of marshmallows and then see who can eat the most of it" kind of way, not in the cower-in-the-library kind of way. While those people do go here, I wouldn't say they make up the majority of the population. It's nice to go to a school where most kids are different from each other.

UChicago is definitely an academic power-house (torture for some) and I like it that way. it is good to be in a place where you are intellectually challenged and where knowledge and learning are the main priority of the school. As for the students, we are not all rich, though many are, but everyone is very warm and friendly though many are geniuses.