University of Chicago

« See more reviews of University of Chicago

Financial cost is becoming more difficult to work with. Often deadlines for financial submission s become a struggle in order to not incur late fees. Late fees are too high. Individuals to be contacted are really not made obvisous on the web-site as well as any other information given to students. Communications from the school seems to be more of a "buyer beware" philosophy. You as the student need to know who to contact and when but are not given this information. Several phone calls and pieces of information in each succeeding conversation help pull the pieces together eventually.

Financial aid is probably the worst thing about my school. They are unwilling to assist students going through tough financial situations and will make students borrow all of their tuition and go into debt (they expect students to borrow a considerable amount of money in order to pay tuition even though they have an endowment in the billion of dollars). Night life and the social scene on campus is kind of poor too; frat parties are only source of fun. The lack of majors is really frustrating. There isn't a fine arts major or any communication/advertising/marketing majors.

My school does really well at teaching professional students, but it does less well at maintaining an alumni network and preparing the students for the real professional world. Thus, people that don't want to go to grad school are not discouraged, per se, but they are certainly regarded by their friends as "selling out," and despite the career preparation office, they find themselves generally alone in looking at post-graduation plans.

The way students feed off of each other's stress. There is absolutely a culture of stress caused by the overwhelming number of students who are perfectionists. If you are not stressed by your workload, you stress because you are not stressed and feel like you should be stressed otherwise you are doing something wrong (really, people have said that). Fighting against that tide is frustrating and not a healthy way to approach life.

The worst thing about my school is the feeling that sometimes we are not as diverse as we could be. I say this because sometimes it feels like people of different races seem uncomfortable around each other. It is really hard for me also because I am African American, and sometimes I feel the tension.

This school may make you depressed, because you will realize (if you don't know this already) that you cannot possibly do and see and learn everything you want to. But I think that's a good thing, within reason. Honestly, for me, the worst thing about the U of C was having to leave it.

People can isolate themselves due to school work. I do think it's true that we don't have as great a social life as those at similarly ranked institutions, although that seems to be rapidly changing.

Sometimes the stress gets to the students. I don't think that the professors teach too much, but they demand a lot and at times it's overwhelming.

There is sometimes an attitude that people don't seem to want to be going to this school, especially in the winter when it's really cold.

Lack of tolerance for others with different economic backgrounds. Even the dorm-planned events are expensive.