University of Chicago

« See more reviews of University of Chicago

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Oh, where to begin. A typical UChicago student is: ugly, nerdy, socially awkward (as well as anti-social), quirky, and never stops studying. Whether you find these traits charming is somewhat subjective, but the real beauty of these stereotypes is that we embrace them on cloth. You'll find t-shirts all over campus that read, "The University of Chicago: Where the only thing that goes down on you is your GPA," "Where the squirrels are more aggressive than the guys," "Hell really does freeze over," and of course "Where fun goes to die." That's the general atmosphere of the college: while you are surrounded by ridiculously smart and inquisitive people, and are spending the better part of your youth in the library, no one really takes themselves that seriously.

First of all people who have never heard about UChicago tend to pass ignorant remarks about it being a state and all attach all sorts of mediocre stigmas to the school's name. On the other hand, those who do know consider this place to be academic torture or power-house. They think the students here are real snobs, spoilt, rich and very goofy/geeky.

i) That the students are socially inept. ii) That UChicago is an intellectual haven. iii) That the academics are amazing. iv) That life in UChicago is dull, dreary and no fun. v) That it is a hard school - hard on grading and hard on work.

Where fun goes to die. That all students here are nerdy and boring. "Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls and more aggressive than the guys." That it's super cutthroat and competitive here. That all students do homework all day long.

Nerdy, no fun, study all the time, can't party, ridiculously smart, all econ majors, read all the time, think too much, talk about Foucault at parties, can't play beer pong, rich, in short, don't have fun.

Stereotypes include: being too nerdy for fun, being confined to rooms/the dorm or apartment/the library/Hyde Park, unfashionable, social awkwardness, and general unattractiveness.

Hardcore academic school with socially reatarded people who do nothing but play chess and awkwardly push their glasses up on faces contorted in strange, awkward laughter.

People say that the University of Chicago is full of anti-social, awkward smart kids who know nothing about fun and would love nothing better than to sit inside all day.

Super dorky. Obsessed with their own intellectualism. Totally lacking in social skills. Quirky. Pretentious Indie kids who all tend to be Indie in the same direction.

That we are not social, awkward work all the time and are incapable of having a healthy conversation. In some capacity all of these stereotypes are true.