University of Chicago Top Questions

Abaris

To quote the writter, revolutionary Ram Dass, "Be Here Now". Which still today I havn't fully embodied this way of life, but I know its power. I don't regret my senor year in high, though I am a drop out. I was proposed a situation to summit or rebel, I rebeled. I was acussed of hacking into my high schools web site and posting pornografy to the home page, which I never did I'd like to add. At the time life seemed full of possibilities. I had life by the short and curly. I was working full time living on my own. Getting good grades, even taking Italian courses at the local community collage. I hastily made a grand scene in the principles office with curse words flying as well as books. I felt there was nothing I could say or do to change my path in life. So I left, dropped out as they call it. Since that day I have had to work twice or three times as hard to make my way. So I say to Abaris at any age, especially the one that recklasly abandanded his future at 17, be here now!

As a high school senior, I was excited about the opportunity ahead of me. I was looking forward to living on campus, taking classes with renowned professors, and making new friends. At the same time, I was feeling nostalgic. I was sad about leaving behind a school that had become home for four years, separating from great friends, and worried about the independence that comes with college. Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to open myself up to the possibilities and opportunities available. I would say to not be afraid to try new things and put yourself out there. Treasure the memories and experiences that you have every day and learn from them. Do not be afraid to leave a safe space and separate from friends because you can create a new space in college and friends will remain in touch if there is an effort on both parts. I would tell myself to join in on different activities and as tired as you are, get up early and exercise as it is a good start to the day. Lastly, because you have a big meal plan, treat more people to lunch.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself during my senior year, I would tell myself to cherish the time I have with my friends, family, and my little town. Going out of state for college has made me realize that we cannot take the people who love us for granted. I have a newfound appreciation for my quiet, little home town that I was constantly trying to break away from. I would tell myself, "things won't be the same when you leave this place. Love everyone as much as you can before you're far away." I would tell myself that college is the most exciting experience of my life, but also to take every opportunity to make memories with the people you grew up with before things change. I would tell myself as a senior that the people at this college will change your view of the world and to embrace that change. I would say above all, however, that no matter where you are going, remember where you come from and keep it in your heart.

If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself the importance of living a balanced college life. I eventually discovered this on my own, but if I had known this from the beginning, my transition to college life at the University of Chicago would have been a lot smoother. For one, make use of your time. Procrastination does not translate into college life. You have strict deadlines for multiple projects, exams, and papers. Therefore, budgeting your time will help you avoid extra stress, ensure that you do well on your assignments, and reward you with an understanding of the concepts you are studying. Of course, it is crucial to leave time for yourself and personal matters. However, you can still be productive academically outside of the classroom. Get involved in student organizations that are of interest to you. Explore fields of study that you have little prior knowledge on. Do not shy away from talking to different students or professors. Outside sources to learning are valuable. You will be surprised how much your interests and perspectives will develop once you open yourself up to something outside of your definition of normal.

Drew

Apply to a few schools - 4 at most. Don't apply to schools based on their ranking; GO to the campus and experience the people and then decide! Theres'a good chance if you get bad vibes from the students on campus during your visit, you won't end up loving your education there as much as you might. Don't discount a school just because it's not one of the top 10 in the nation. Don't get into a serious, long-term relationship, especially not with anyone who makes you feel inferior to them. It makes everything harder; especially when you then are faced with finals, a breakup and a flu. Don't ignore your social life; destressing is just as important as studying. Don't worry about taking the easier courses. No one is going to look to make sure you took all the honors courses that you could. Don't feel stupid in a class; if you're having trouble, everyone is probably having trouble, and that's the truth! And last but not least...don't worry about your GPA. College is different than high school. Take math courses, because you'll need them.

Mahjeed

Actually there is nothing. I feel my high school prepared me well for the academic world of The University of Chicago.

Quinn

I've done a lot of thinking in the past months--not idle musing, but actual, deep, conscious thinking--because my studies are so interesting. My classes have required me to write a lot, which I don't love but I know is good for my intellectual development. I love being around so many intelligent people who are all so passionate about learning new things. The friends I have made here are so fabulous; I love the niche I've made for myself. I don't plan to go to graduate school (at least not immediately after graduation), but even still, if I don't use the specific knowledge I've gained here, I've gained valuable writing skills and developed unique ways of looking at problems that will be applicable, I am sure, to the rest of my life.

Mahjeed

So far,I have learn to live,eat and clean with others.

Jing

I haven't gotten to college yet as I'm an incoming freshman, but my college visit was valuable as I was able to experience the feeling of walking through the college campus and being able to imagine myself there in the fall as an attendee. I also got to find out more about what students at UChicago are like from the tour guide who seemed to be everything I admire in a person: successful, interesting, and strong. She also obviously had a thirst for knowledge as she told us about her research on UChicago and taught us some of the more quirky maybe-facts about the school (Indiana Jones was apparently based off of a UChic professor!) I loved the idea of going there from that visit, and that motivated me to apply and write a compelling essay.

Frank

I graduated High Scool in 1984, and I've had a great life since then, until 2006 when I was disabled due to an injury at work. Now it's 2010 and I am a second semester freshman, I am majoring in Information Management with an emphasis on Web Design/Library Sciences. In the two semesters I have attended school I've learned to again appreciate the basics of learning. In the short period that I have been back to school I realized that I should have done this 25 years ago, and not waited until a life altering event made me do it. Everyone at school has gone out of their way to make learning fun, I have gotten so excited about school I actually lead a study group for my Humanities class this semester, and was proud of the fact that I made Dean's List for my 1st semester. My life has been forever changed by going back to school, and even attending a simple community college like I am, once you start you'll truelly enjoy it.

From only one full quarter of classes at the University of Chicago, I have learned that it is not only acceptable to be a bit nerdy, but that everyone is kind of a dork in his or her own right. Like beauty, "weirdness" is also in the eye of the beholder. Throughout my four years of high school, I was always teased for doing my homework early, answering questions in class, and, God forbid, actually studying for exams. Now, at the University of Chicago, I am not teased for being a nerd, but for being a jock. My classmates, unless they are athletes here as well, do not even realize the University of Chicago has athletic teams, and hence mock me for being on one of said teams or claiming I didn't have to work as hard as they did to get in because my coach got me in. However, I know for a fact my Volleyball team could defeat any other student here in a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter trivia competition. The value of Chicago lies in the fact that, here, I am truly a student-athlete for the first time in my life.

The University of Chicago lives up to its reputation of being a school that steals the soul. It steals your soul, deprives you of wild frat parties, crazed sporting events and people with proper social skills. But after four years, you get your soul back and it's smarter, calmer, and more grounded. College for most people at Chicago feels like torture: endless hours of studying, brainstorming and working tirelessly to generate innovative ways of solving problems. Graduating, however, then bestows you with an unbelievable new strength. After surviving such a demanding place, your newly returned soul feels ready to conquer whatever life may throw at it and I guess I have to thank the University of Chicago for that feeling.

Jon

Through my college experience at the University of Chicago, I have killed any shred of fear I ever had with respect to pursuing and researching new ideas. Fear of failure is no longer an option. I wouldn't say that I was some sort of panphobic-personality before I came here, but I experienced so much success in High School that even the notion of failure by any means seemed foreign and completely taboo. UChicago quickly made the notion familiar as I competed as well as collaborated with some of the best minds in the world. UChicago's goal is not to belittle you, but to break down the arrogant shell people like me enter with--the shell that only accepts "right answers" and doesn't dare question their assumptions. Researchers here know full well that it is impossible to innovate if there is no significant risk of failure involved. A common sentiment around here is that "what is currently considered unpopular is often just that which is unexplored". UChicago has taught me to embrace this uncharted territory. Now, I am willing to take calculated risk in forming ideas--allowing me to take my first baby-steps into the unknown.

Hamsini

The transition from high school to college is terrifying--academically and personally--but don't let that hold you back. Throw yourself into life at your new school, try everything that appeals to you, and take advantage of the rich opportunities afforded by college life. School is important, but what you do outside of it is just as important; instead of obsessively monitoring your GPA, find something you've never experienced before and go out and do it. College is a unique time for experimentation, inside and outside the lab. Take advantage of the diverse cultures you will no doubt encounter, the extracurricular lectures by people passionate about their subject, however obscure it might be, the myriad opportunities for self-expression through sport and art, and most importantly, your peers. I've discovered it, and so will you--you will get the most out of college when you stop worrying about what comes next and instead allow yourself to fully experience and learn from the present. Find a balance between the library and the frat party, your hobbies and your career plans. This is the time to explore.

Hassan

If I could go back and warn myself about the transition to college I would tell myself to buckle down. I would tell myself that I have to change my high school state of mind in which everything is provided for you and you don't have to make any extra effort. College is about being an adult and nothing is provided for you. You must do everything for yourself, no one will do it for you. I would also warn myself to get rid of the carefree attitude. In college you should try to eceed your own expectation and just try to get by. Also I would tell myself not register for classes your friends tell you to sign up for, always go to an advisor. the advisor will know more about the classes you need for your field of study than your friends. This will help not waste time money on classes you don't need. You also need to be focused on what you want to and take steps to achieve your goals.

Adele

Dear Del-Rae, A person isn't smarter if they go to a prestigious university or are from a family full of doctors or lawyers or geniuses. It doesn't matter that you come from humble beginnings, it just means that you have to work a little harder than most. You can't feel insecure about where you come from because those events, those people have shaped you into who are. They've grounded you and made you able to empathize with others that are less fortunate. You are not less intelligent because of where your from so don't feel so insecure. As in high school, some of the smartest people may be hidden in those everyday people. The janitor with a history degree or a mother who knows you better than anyone. Education is the big equalizer, but there are different kinds of education, not one more profound than the other and you can find it almost anywhere. Don't forget that.

Will

I would tell myself that my group of friends would change, but my relations with people and my fundamental social outlook did not have to change with it. I would tell myself that while the presentation of academics would change, my general academic interests need not. I would tell myself that though I would be leaving my family, this did not prevent me from having strong enough bonds with people that I could rely on them to provide the same level of support as my family. Having said all this, I would tell myself to abandon the expectations that I had about college, and not to adopt any new ones. I would emphasize living without specific expectations, but with confidence that the transition to college would bring me more happiness than I could possibly imagine. If my advice to myself could be boiled down to a single sentence, I would tell myself that making the transition from Florida to Chicago requires nothing more than a winter coat and an open mind.

I would advise myself not to be so set on a particular path for life, as things change during and throughout college. It's best to stay open-minded and explore new experiences and meet new people. This is an important part of the 'getting an education' deal that college provides.

I would tell myself to be a little more focused on my future goals. I would tell myself to be a little more trusting of my abilities. Most importantly, I would tell myself to stay true to God and to self.

Kirstie

I would advise not to think too highly of myself. High school is a fairly minor step and there is a long way to go before I'm grown up. Keep up with friends and family because they are always there for you. Stay grounded, and don't be afraid to work hard. Don't over do it though.

Bernard

I would tell myself to be a little more outgoing as a freshmen. Making friends with other freshmen when you start college is a great way to make lasting friendships throughout college. Making friends with a peer in the same situation makes it easier to transition into college because you have a go-to person who is probably undergoing the same difficulties in terms of transitioning. Being involved in a univeristy is key to social networking that can potentially help you in the long run; i belive that a student should be as outgoing as possible as well as open-minded. If a student isn't interested in expanding their horizons, then college becomes a chore and it makes it feel much longer than it really is. Being open to change leads to new experiences and college is all about the experience.

Lyndsey

I think I would tell myself to stop worrying about all the wrong things. It's true that college is really different from high school, but that's the key word -- different. So many of our teachers in high school made it sound like college would be this frightening place where our instructor would be some distant scholar who handed our papers off to a TA to grade. Maybe it's like that at other colleges, but here, our professors are even more accessible and down-to-earth than our teachers were in high school. You have to function as an adult in college, sure, but functioning as an adult also means that a lot of the barriers that were there in high school have now melted away. You can discuss your papers with your professor over a cup of coffee -- I've even had professors who have given me a phone number to contact them, or granted me extentions on my papers when my courseload was getting rough. I can't say as much about anyone at my high school. It's a different world, but it's different in a good way.

Sonia

"I would say, "Don't be shy. Act confident and your attitude will follow. Trust me, it makes the transition and the overall college experience much easier." That encompasses just about everything, but I would also add: "Don't worry about the long-distance thing, it will all work out." "Buy a U-lock for your bike, or at least don't tie it up outside with that cheap lock at night..." "Also, don't leave your new coat unattended at frat parties. Drunk people can't distinguish between your coat and their own..."

Don't take things so seriously! Relax, college will be here faster than you know, and you WILL be prepared. Don't disregard your classes now, but don't stress, either. Recognize that you don't have much time left with these people, so savor it; but when it's time to move, on, be prepared to move on. Don't try to make Facebook friends with everyone in your class before you even show up to campus. Above all, remember to just relax. You applied to the college because you think it'll be a fit, and you were accepted because admissions thinks you'll be a fit. You'll be fine!

Ido

If I could tell my high school senior self one thing, it would be to always remember that people are important. No matter how impatient you might become due to self-absorption or stress, a moment of patience never takes that much effort and goes a long way to make both the transition into college and the actual stay there a much more pleasant experience. Aside from being a basic rule of respect, remembering that other people are important and worth your attention will give you better friends and kinder acquaintances; it will more fully immerse you both into the college community and the lives of others who will become an increasingly big part of your own life as you live, study, and spend the next four years with them. Simply put, it makes life better?and easier?to know that you care about your friends and to act accordingly. So be kind and be patient, it is not that hard to do.

Alanna

My transition from high school to college?from adolescent to adult?was, in all honesty, difficult. When I first stepped on campus, I was a determined pre-med with an 8-year plan mapped out before me, and, while I enjoyed all areas of learning, I was focused on medicine, biology, and The Plan.Imagine my surprise when I realized that, while biology was fun and interested me, I did not have the same passion that my professors had. I was interested, but not fascinated, and I refused to settle for anything less than fascination and passion.My plan disappeared and I was terrified; I felt as though I needed to know exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.This is when I discovered anthropology, spending a quarter intensively studying culture. I found a whole new perspective, curiosity, and passion?the passion I had been missing as a pre-med.From this experience emerges the advice I would share with myself: "Embrace and explore all avenues of knowledge and interest. Have goals, but don't be afraid if the plan changes. Most importantly, be open to change, because, after all, it is inevitable."

It's important to keep in mind that there's no such thing as the perfect college, and finding the right one for you requires some give and take. Location, financial aid, reputation, academics, social scene, athletics, it's a lot to consider. It's a bit of a gamble because no two college experiences are the same, but what makes it the right one for you is ultimately how you see yourself fitting in. Maybe you prefer a college with a strong athletic program but your parents are concerned about the financial aid, or maybe your parents are pushing for the more reputable college when you're more concerned with location. It's important to take in others' advice but remember that what matters is what's important to you. Trust your instincts and don't worry if you don't have that "ah-ha" moment the second you go on the college visit; it takes time and thought. Whatever you end up deciding know that what's going to make or break the experience is you. You might love it or end up transferring, but no matter what have a positive attitude and make the best of it.

Have at least some idea of what you want out of college before deciding where to go. You're allowed to take a year off to explore different things if you really don't know what you want. Don't forget about weather. Even if you can handle cold weather, that doesn't mean you won't want to play outside year round. Don't forget cost, because finances will be an issue eventually. And if the school isn't perfect, you will start to think about how much you're spending on imperfection. Keep in mind that much of what you get out of college is self-motivated; what you learn will depend more on you than it will on the college that you choose. Every school has the resources to help you become great. Reading the chapter before class is always helpful. If you do the reading and keep up with what you're supposed to know, everything makes a lot more sense and you don't feel like you've fallen behind. If you ever feel like you're falling behind, ask for help IMMEDIATELY. Asking questions you don't know the answer to is never dumb.

Visit the colleges first hand, it's the only way to find out for yourself...

Steffi

Oddly enough, my philosophy on colleges is the same as my philosophy on clothes. Forget brand names; shop for style and fit. Which sweater, which school allows you to express exactly who you are and what you stand for? If the shoe fits, you've found your perfect university. Websites boast about college rankings and flaunt statistics, but their job is to tell you which schools are good, not which school is good for YOU. Only you can do that. Research and become an expert on the colleges you're interested in. Apply. Visit the schools who accept you as you are. Choose. Go. Thrive. Once I got there, I had to make some adjustments. I discovered people, joined thirteen different student organizations, encountered constant intellectual stimulation, and developed something called a "social life". Trying to balance that sometimes knocks you off your feet. Regaining (or even just establishing) your footing will take time... and sleep, no matter how many times we say we don't need it!

stick with whatever you choose if you can

I would tell students and parents to make sure that the school they choose is really the school that is right for the student. I chose a school that required a large financial investment, but I feel that it has already paid off with the caliber of education and the alumni connections I have received. In order to make the most of the college experience, students should seek out every possible opportunity on campus and connect with as many people as possible because the college experience can only be enriched by learning as much as possible and meeting as many interesting people as possible. Students should also visit the college campus and spend time talking to the current students, over taking a campus tour, to get to know whether or not the college is the right fit for them.

The best advice that I can give to parents and students, regarding the college experience, is to keep everything in perspective, and realize that attending college is more than just a GPA, a football team, or a weekend party. The years spent in college are meant to prepare you for life after college, which includes not only what you learn in class, but also how to regulate your own life, manage your own time, work in a competitive and stressful environment, and even how socialize and relate with your peers; in sum, it is named the college experience for a reason, because it is truly the overall experience and not any individual aspect of the college that is the most important. As such, when picking a school, consider whether or not the school will provide you with the opportunity to grow, not only mentally, but also as an individual who will eventually be responsible for functioning in the ?real world.? If you are able to keep this scary and inevitable fact in mind, both when you are choosing a school and while you are attending school, then you should be able to truly get the most of the college experience.

Casie

The most important thing when looking for a college is finding a college that fits you. In other words find a college that is offering you what you are looking for as far a programs for your major as well as activities and hobbies that you are interested in. Some people only live half the college experience. Some people do the work but don't enjoy the fun that college has to offer as well as some people have too much fun while they are struggling to pass classes. I feel like the ultimate college experience will definitely include time management. With time management, you are able to juggle fun and learning and being able to do it stress free. One of the "do nots" in looking for a college is definitely going to a college because your friend does because what may be a good college for your friend may be a terrible college for you. College holds the ticket to your future, you just have to make sure you hop on the right train.

Dont look out cost. Just apply!

Jackie

Do not be afraid to attend a difficult school. Even if your GPA is not perfect, it is worth it for many reasons. It is ok to make mistakes as you adjust to college life, as long as you keep your priorities straight. There were times when I felt I had hit rock bottom because I was not doing well in my classes, but the pressure of dealing with the possibility of failure taught me important life lessons. Besides learning to cope with challenges, you appreciate how much you must love a subject before you commit to it and how much independent work is necessary to achieve your goals. Approaching professors and TAs, doing experiments on your own, and reading material beyond what is required for class is at least as important as doing your required classwork. As a college student, I have stayed up all night studying, wept over my grades, begged professors for extentions, and even temporarily dropped out of school, but all these experiences were necessary for me to figure out what I want out of life. Now, I know exactly what I want to do, and successfully on my way to a satisfying life.

Debra

Trust your instincts when looking for a college. The marketing materials an institution sends you are usually an accurate dipiction of its general environment and will help you begin your search by identifiying values of the community. Find your dream school and focus your resources on it; for example, visit overnight before you apply and complete an on-campus or alumni interview. Conversations with the students or faculty you meet while visiting will not only help you be sure that college is a good fit for you, but will also be useful to cite in making your case that you are a serious applicant and will be an asset to the school. Don't be afraid to apply to a school that you think might be a reach for you. Consider schools that accept early applications as long as admission is not binding. Once you arrive on campus, sample a variety of activities before becoming heavily involved in any one thing. You don't have to participate in the same activities that defined you in high school! Most importantly, don't let school get in the way of your education! Get involved off campus and attend lectures outside of class.

First and foremost, do not worry so much; it's an important decision, but if you don't choose the perfect college on your first try, just breath, it is not the end of the world. For me and my parents it was particularly difficult since neither of them had attended college and knew nothing about schooling in the states. The system is different in Poland, which is where my parents are from. There was a lot of stress, but it was unnecessary. Really what one needs to focus on is what you are interested in and where you'd like to spend at least 4 years of your life. If you've never been away from home for an extended period of time, like me, you may be tempted to stay close to your hometown, but I advise you to be at least an hour away and live on campus. I believe living on campus is essential to developing a sense of independence and really utilizing your school and its resources. Lastly, if you cannot visit every school you are applying to don't worry, but please do make plans to visit your top choices!

Chae

I would tell parents and/or students to simply consider these four things: their financial ability to pay for it, the location and surroundings of the college. the atmosphere, and the curriculum.

Catharine

Think of who you want to be on your campus. I decided to be the artsy, athletic person on an intellectual campus rather than the dorky person on an artsy, athletic campus, and I'm happy I did. Also, think of things you might want to do, and make sure the campus has a range of resources for your interests. Don't just go with the school that has the best program in what you're pretty sure you want to study, as it is very likely that will change.

Otto

This may be the only time you get to do this so make the most of your college experiance. Try different classes early on before you have settled on a major because you may be surprised by what excites you. If possible, live on campus for more than just your first year. The dorms are convenient and can introduce you to a lot of friends and study partners. Don't try to graduate early by powering through the mandatory classes for your major in order to start working early--you can work for the rest of your life but you can't always throw in a class on art history or a year of Norweigian language study. Most of all, be serious about your education but don't take your classes too seriously. Nobody tells you that every semester you are also taking a class on how to balance your busy life--4 years of stress is not worth an extra tenth of a point on a GPA.

Ariadne

Finding the right college may seem like a daunting task: it requires choosing the school with the best balance between academics, extracurriculars, location, and whatever other criteria the student thinks are important. But it's not even as simple as just that. Sometimes the student may not have any idea what he or she actually wants, and the schools in question require a deeper inspection in the form of a prospective student visit. When you find the right school, you will know. There may be one that the parents think is best for the student, but in the student's opinion, however unvoiced, there will be one or two schools that just feel "right". It may have been a particular quote in the prospective student mailings that really hit home, or perhaps the student made a personal and intellectual connection to other students during a "prospie" visit. But, in the back of that student's mind, all other schools will be compared to this school, and probably won't measure up in the end. It's important to tune in to that calling desire: many schools are self-selecting, and those students that believe they belong there probably do.

Definitely visit the college--talk to students and sit in on some classes--to see if you feel comfortable in this setting. Place yourself in the physical space. If that's not possible, talk to alum (do those optional interviews) and try to connect with students on campus. Read a campus publication or two. Try to get the real feel of the place and how you relate to it, instead of how the school presents itself. (Usually the two are similar, but they can be different in ways that are important to you). Finally, figure out why you are going to college, and try to mesh this idea with the focus of the univeristy or the university's programs.

Athena

Go and talk to the students.

Pay attention to the people who pick the school - those are going to be the people you're surrounded with for four years, so if you get bad vibes from them, then that's probably not a good choice for you. On the other hand, it's not always a make or break deal if you don't mind the vibe you get from the people at that school - that just has to be considered with everything else.

Stacy

To parents: please let your child choose what's best for him/herself! You are at an important moment in each of your lives - know that whatever decision your child makes, it'll work out for the best. Have hope, and trust in their ability to make wise decisions. Even if they mess up a little at first, it's all part of the learning experience. To students: recognize that the decisions you make now will affect your future. You're out in the real world, trying to deal with so many things it can seem impossible: how do you manage to feed and bathe yourself when you have a 15-page paper to write and a job at the library? (Sometimes it's ok to not bathe and re-wear dirty clothes - hey, it's college.) However, remember to relax. You're not on your own. All your friends are in the same boat, and hopefully your college has a support system to catch you. We're all in this together. Have fun, work hard, love yourself, and call home occasionally.

Students must find a school that will enable them to grow just as much socially as they can academically. Most schools tend to market their class curricula without informing students and their parents of the diversity of social organizations on campus. By social organizations, I do not simply mean clubs, teams, and other RSOs (Registered Student Organizations), but, for example, the presence and intensity of Greek Life, or the availability of special interest dormitories. In addition, applicants need proper samplings of the interests and backgrounds of their classmates. They should know whether a particular school draws generally academic-minded students from upper-middle class backgrounds, or has established a pattern of increasing economic and racial diversity among the student body over recent years. Otherwise, students can feel seriously out of place at an institution they thought would be a perfect fit with their character. In my opinion, the more demographically and culturally diverse a student body is, the greater the number of opportunities for students to experience different social scenes, and perhaps settle on one in particular.

Tova

I found that schools suggested by my high school were not necessarily schools that were right for me. Instead, I chose the University of Chicago through my own searching, using books such as The Princeton Review's books on colleges as guides. I read what students wrote about the colleges, as well as the requirements to get admitted, and started to narrow my search. My "top schools" only included ones that I had at least a slim chance to get into, which seemed to offer environments I wanted to live in. Finally, I visited the top schools on my list, and interviewed where I could. From the questions asked in the interviews and the atmosphere on campus, I tried to determine if what I read were accurate descriptions of the colleges and if I would enjoy the atmospheres I observed. Once I found out which colleges I was admitted to, I thought about why I applied to each of the schools and which reasons were the best ones. Finally, on campus in the Fall, I embraced the things that drew me to the U of C from the beginning, experiencing the reasons why it was the right college for me.

The right college is anywhere you choose to go, whether based on money, prestige, or any other reason you choose to go there. College is what you make of it. No matter where you go, you'll have the opportunity to do and seek out whatever you want to do. If the certain thing you are looking for doesn't exist, than create it. Colleges accommodate for most things as the students are what pay the colleges' bills. Be and do whatever you want, college is a time for trial and error.

Leave home. Get as far away from home as possible, either geographically or psychologically/emotionally. Forcibly remove yourself from your comfort zone. Chase down schools that will be most challenging for you where you still have a chance at getting in, and if you get accepted, go there. Remember that this is really the only time in your life when you will be allowed--encouraged, in fact--to try a variety of new things, and you will be protected, in a sense, while doing so. To this end, try out things that interest you, even if they're totally out in left field. Choose classes by professor reputation often. It will help you discover new things to love. Develop one skill or get involved in one new thing that would surprise your friends at home. Remember that in most cases, schoolwork is a matter of prioritization, not total completion. Learn as much as you can about anything and everything. Parents, don't worry or put unnecessary stress on your student; they are expanding their world.