University of Chicago Top Questions

The most frustrating thing about the University of Chicago is the lack of non-work-study job opportunities available to undergraduate students. Most jobs only pay students that are qualified for work-study, while others are required to work just as much but are only considered as "volunteers." Despite the fact that some students have a family income above the set amount to be considered work-study, the majority job opportunities on campus neglect to provide some monetary income regardless of whether or not the student is receiving financial aid.

Bernard

The most frustrating thing about UIC is the student body and friendliness; a lot of the student body seems to stick with their cliques. Although the school is very diverese, many people seem to be afraid to step out of their comfort zone; however, the school does promote diversity. It is just the students who do not practice trying new things very often.

I wish the dating and social scene were better.

Sometimes can feel socially awkward.

Steffi

The most frustrating thing about my school is also the best: Being constantly surrounded by the some of the most brilliant people of our generation. I'm intimidated at the worst of times, but I've never been more inspired.

Dating doesn't happen. Most people go from hanging out as friends to practically married.

Athena

Too theorectical.

People can be very full of themselves.

Lily

I am often frustrated by Chicago's hands-off, abstract approach - "that's all well and good in practice, but how does it work in theory?" is a running joke and the defining attitude here, and as a straightforward, earthbound person, I'm sometimes annoyed by my professors' and classmates' refusal to deal with things in any concrete, reasonable way.

Ksenia

There are too many people who think they know everything and who constantly are trying to show it to everybody else, which is very irritating. There are way too many pretentious and cut-throat competitive people, and most classes are curved, so it hurts the "middle-class" people who do well but have no desire to overachieve.

Priya

The disturbingly large douchebag population.

This school provides an education that can be far too impractical at times, which it takes pride in. People here are so obsessed with core curriculum and reading entire canons that they forget to look out the window sometimes and appreciate what is going on and what is important in the world today.

Banke

Most people at the university, students as well as professors, are extremely pompous and pretentious. It's just frustrating at times because I don't feel that smart and sometimes feel as if I don't deserve to be at such a prestigious institution. Also, the lack of diversity in terms of social activities and things to do around campus and majors and extra-curricular activities makes me feel a little closeted in sometimes.

Students tend to get stuck in Hyde Park and not make good use of resources in downtown Chicago.

The manner in which many of the students act among others; they are quick to judge someone harshly.