University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

As an RA I realize how much this university stresses diversity. This diversity includes social economic status, religion, sexuality, race, gender, and so on. If you are a CCM major (music related) you will probably go to class dressed nice because you are constantly putting on performances, or practicing for one. As a DAAP student (art/architecture) major you will probably dress very expressive, and individualistic. Engineers usually dress very down to earth, and most other majors vary all over the place. People walk around campus in Camo, or Air force uniforms if they are in ROTC. There are many different organizations on campus that represent all different diversities—religious organizations. The RAAP program (Racial awareness program) covers racial, SES and sexuality issues—and is one of the largest organizations on campus. Most of the students are from Ohio, or Kentucky. But I have met students from almost anywhere—including many from India, Japan, or China.

There is such a variety of students that are at the University of Cincinnati. There are students who come from ten minutes away to students who are coming from half way across the world. Just by observing, you can kind of tell what students might feel out of place here, such as students who aren't fluent in English. They tend to hang with those who speak the same language as them so it is easier to communicate and talk about things. Even though one might not be fluent in English, students here definitely help one another out to feel welcomed whether it's in class or taking them out somewhere like a party. It seems like most students here are from Ohio since UC is one of the main campuses that people think of in Ohio. It doesn't seem like financial gain is a main topic at UC. All students are here for the major and jobs that they want to pursue whether it will get them a lot of money in the future or not.

We have a very large diversity in our school. You can see just about every culture. One of the best things is that there are not that many "clicks" within these groups. Asians hang out with Americans, Indians hang out with Africans, etc. when you look at a table in the dining area, you can see at least four to five different ethnic background. No racism, no discrimination or excluding certain individuals. They all care about their grades and graduation. they are involved in clubs, social activities, they care a lot about building their resumes and network while in college. There isn't a huge gap between the students as far as the financial background. You may not know that one of your team members is from a milionaire family. or one maybe from a very poor family. Even if you know, it doesn't change anything. They all look at eachother as same.

I've met people from all sorts of backgrounds, but so far, mostly what I've seen is a university that is primarily white, middle class, center-right students. I sometimes feel out of place just as a white, upper middle class, left-winger. However, this being the Midwest, most everyone is very friendly, which can almost be unsettling for someone coming from the uptight east coast like me.

My program is actually unique in that it is not only competitive, but selective. I am in class with the same 14 people for every course that is a core part of my programs curriculum. In that way, it is a very unique, almost grad-school, like program. I get to know these people really well and we all support eachother as we progress through the curriculum together.

The students on this campus represent culture; from the College Conservatory of Music students to the Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning sttudents, to the students of Criminal Justice, the vast array of students and student interests gives off a wonderful feeling of student diversity

My classmates are helpful and willing to do anything to make you feel comfortable in class. If you ever need help or assistance, it is easy to set up a time and date to have group studies. They are going through the same things you are so it is easy for them to relate to your needs.

They are, in general, either not very interested in school but merely what comes after, specifically careers, or they are interested in seeming as if they are top notch students at a prominent university when really they would never survive at one.

My classmates in CCM are already my family after only six weeks, and I've never met more adventurous, artistic, curious, friendly and vivacious people; the general UC population is also an incredibly diverse, talented and amazing group of people.

My classmates are spirited all the time, there is always something happening, whether there is a rally on the main street of campus, or live music on the steps of the university office, the people I attend UC with are full of life.