University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

UC is very large which makes it an accessibility nightmare. Also, the school is surrounded by some fairly rough neighborhoods. This makes safety a growing concern. The campus police are great though. The department for disability services is very friendly but doesn't carry much authority. Some instructors refuse to recognize special accommodations for this population. In this situation, many students have left UC. Others struggle through the quarter. There is no clear line of authority in the college. That creates instructors that have more independence, but less management when there is a problem.

Location. The location of the school, while close to home, still sucks. The parking is expensive and limited. Downtown is dangerous and there are a lot of crimes happening. I constantly receive e-mails about robberies, assaults, etc. I do not feel comfortable going downtown at night time for class. Also, the advising is horrid along with trying to get into a class. Being on quarters, classes are strictly part 1, 2 or 3 and thus cannot take a part 1 during 2nd quarter if need be. It's hard to transfer credits as well.

The worst aspect of the University of Cincinnati is its status as "just another state school," that commuter school that will take anyone: not only is this untrue, but it highlights the feelings of many college prospectives in the community. UC started the first mandatory co-op program in the US; houses top engineering, design, performing arts, and medical schools; outreaches to the community continuously, and attains the feel of a much larger school at half the admission. The lackluster reputation is undeserved.

I love my school, but I would have to say that the worst thing about it is the size of the student population. Since UC is the second biggest public school in Ohio, there are certain activities, such as becoming a ROAR Tour Guide, or getting an on-campus job, that are extremely selective due to the amount of people that apply. While this does get frustrating at times, it helps me to push myself to improve since I need to beat out so many other people. So while it is the “worst thing,” it still makes me better.

One thing that I consider to be the worst thing about the University of Cincinnati is the fact that the cost of books average from $100 to $300. I consider this to be the worst thing about school because college is already very expensive, and buying books along with the study guides to go along with them can be very frustrating. It is frustrating because sometimes there is not enough money to buy all the books you need if you don't have grants and/or scholarships to help pay for them.

The worst thing about my school is that I believe there is no scholarships geared towards student who is not in financial need and came from a upper middle class family. These types of families are expected to pay for their children's college no matter what the circumstances are. I feel like I struggle more with paying for school than actually the work I do in school. I wanted to become more responsible so I took on all the loans for my schooling so I could be in charge of it.

The worst thing about the University of Cincinnati is the weather. For weeks in a row I will not see the sun. However, i could also see the sun for weeks in a row. The inconsistent weather and seemingly non-stop rain is extremely annoying. Walking across campus in the rain for two straight weeks begins to have an impact on me. My willingness to attend class is much lower than i expected it to be. Yet, when i do enter class the weather has no effect on the classroom atmosphere.

The worst thing about my school is the campus location. Everyday I hear about campus shootings or someone being robbed. I am scared to go out at night because of the crime rates. How is a student suppose to feel safe when everyday people are getting robbed and killed. The campus police pretty much does not do anything to keep students safe. All they do is take in a police report and email the students. They expect it to happen but don't do anything to prevent it.

The thing that I consider the worst about the University of Cincinnati is the lack of guidance. I didn't feel that the academic advisors were truly looking out for the students best interest. There were numerous times were I was told inaccurate information from the advisors which in turn caused me to essentially advise myself. I feel that every school should have proper advisors to guide and help students seeking help.

The worst thing about going to University of Cincinnati is that of every other college; you do not have your parent's there to push you to do your work so the first quarter you fall behind more than you thought you would. It is difficult because now you have acquired new freedom and do not know what exactly to do with yourself especially in Clifton where there are multiple things to do within walking distance.