University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

To the students i will say to make sure you apply to more than just that one college. Also go and visit the campus and see how you like it. I applied to many different colleges and got accepted into all of them. Do not slack on your work, set aside a time for your friends and school work. Make sure that you get involved in things going on around campus. I find that if your involved in things at school you will do better. Because when your happy you will have better grades. If your not happy where you are then you wont do as well. To the parents I will say let your child pick the college they would like to go to. Give them space so that they will be able to grow and become responsible young adults. Because my mom gave me space i am able to do more things on my own and make my own decisions. I do everything on my own and im more independent. Just be there when they need you the most and be understanding. And remember that no matter how old they become they will always be your child.

One of the first things I would tell myself as a senior in highschool is to make sure I put forth my best effort this whole school year, so I can have the right work ethic when I get to college. Also I would tell myself is to make sure that you stay focused in college because you can easily get distracted by everything that is going on, from the sporting events to the parties and even the girls. Dont get caught up in all of that. Make sure you remember what you are going to college for, and that's to get an education. Also I would tell myself that college is a clean slate to start over on your GPA, so all of the bad grades that you got in highschool wont matter here just make sure you dont make the same mistake that your did when you first entered highschool. Friends they could either make you or break you. Choose wisely because you want to be around the ones who are trying to reach the same goals as you. Those are a few things that i would tell my young self before I start college.

I wish everyone was given the opprotunity to attend college. College so far, has been the most challenging, rewarding, eye-opening, and fun expierence in my life thus far. I think college has helped me come out of my shell. When you start college, its overwhelming, exciting and nerve-racking. But ,if you just learn to breathe and take every opportunity as it is presented to you, and look for others you will find out that college is worth the now ridiculoious cost! College has allowed me to interact with people I normally wouldn't have. It has begun to prepare me for the real world. I strongly believe that there is not a hand-written book that maps out how to live your life, you just have to go out and try things. If you fall in the process, then its worth it because you see things in a new light. I have begun to find myself and develop confideince in my future . This would not have been possible if i wasn't given the opportunity to attend college, and for that I am very grateful!

If I could go back and advise myself I would tell myself not to take everything so seriously. Yes, schooling is important and I am the kind of student that will get all my work done, but by taking every little thing seriously college will manage to eat you alive. I would tell myself to start earlier on looking at where I specifically wanted to go to college so I knew more about the campus life. To help with the personal transition I would try to bring pictures or personal belongings that would help me feel more at home in my dorm room. While it isn't "Home sweet home", it is still where you live during your academic year. I would advise myself to get used to later nights and more reading, so thus trying to read more over the summer to prepare for the extra taskload. I always loved reading, but making sure you are used to it over the long summer break can sometimes cause you to slack off. Overall, I would tell myself to relax and take everything one step at a time. Do not freak out.

I graduated high school in 2006. I then attended community college that fall undecided on a major and paying out of pocket. I went on to drop all my classes due to my job and other social issues. I was stupid and I basically threw money out the window. The worse part of it it happened again the next semester. Two years later in the fall of 2009, i decided i needed to return to school for my own good. I knew it would be tough and very costly, already loosing a whole year of tuition because of my dullness. The period that I was out of school meant so much to me. Now I enjoy everyday I go to class. I have a 3.16 GPA and its getting higher every semester. I dont go to school to have fun, to party, nor to make new friends. I go to school to lean, and I now love doing so. In the past three semesters I have learned so much about business, history, economis, health, and i have improved my mathematical and analytical skills. Writing comes easy now, and im glad i chose to be in school again.

My advice to the parents of prospective college students is simple. First, it's okay if your child does not have a major in mind. They are young, and to expect them to make a choice coming out of high school of what they want to do for the rest of their life is pretty intimidating. Many schools assist in program placement based on your child's interests and strengths. For those who have an idea coming in, it is wonderful to be able to get a start on a career that you seem to enjoy. For this population, I would recommend looking into each school at the individual program to see if it is of any interest. If so, then look at the college as a whole including extracirricular activites, campus housing, tutoring services, social events, etc. Once in school, it is good to go in with an open mind. This is a time not only to learn and prosper, but to gain important bonds, create special memories, and most importantly, it is a time to grow and mature as an individual, so make the most of it!

To the parents let your kids decide where they want to go, but make sure you are a part of their decsion with financial support. Make sure it is within your budget to help them with little things. As for the students look at a few colleges not just one. Live on campus in the dorms and be active with fellow dormies, makes the year extremely fun. Make sure to try to include everyone and don't trash talk or leave anyone out. And if you want to succeed ask professors for help in your classes they are there for you. I have found out the hard way that all professors want to do is help never be affraid to ask how you can do better in the class early instead of later. I personally put things off until they are almost due, try not to do that if you know you have a big project do start working on it a little at a time it will relieve alot of stress. Don't Party every night you will fail faster then you think. Last but not least have some FUN, and you dont always need alchol to do that.

As a senior in high school way back in Ghana, West Africa, I had hopes and dreams of making it to the best colleges in the United States knowing I was going to move over to America. What I did not realize in all my days as a senior was that hard work, dedication and commitment not only to your education but aslo extra-curriculum activities paid off in the future. Not that I was a bad student, but I did not pay attention to any other activity apart from class activities. While others combined music and art or sports to their education, I just burried my head in books. Now, I'm in college and I'm grateful but college would have been better if I had an extra-curriculum activity that would make me a better student, influencing or adding to my school in a field that I enjoy very much. Not only my school but the people around me because it's not all about the GPA but how you can influence society. If i could go back, I would try an extra-curriculum activity and be good at it.

One of the most challenging aspects of college is the issue of dealing with time-management. It is a normal feeling in college to feel overwhelmed with schoolwork. Be sure to write everything down on a calendar or in a planner. Take a little time each day to work on something, so the work is spread out. Also, make time for breaks or else you will be too stressed for anything. Additionally, learn to accept the fact that you are not perfect and may not be great at everything you do in college, especially if you easily get A's in high school. There will be people who are better at you at certain things, but use them for motivation and advice. Don't be afraid to ask a professor for help, in fact, it is good to get to know the faculty. Make friends with people in your dorm and keep your door open. If you are interested in an activity on campus, go to it! You will have to do more things on your own in college so don't be afraid to put yourself out there and strive for greatness.

I would tell parents and graudating seniors that you should just pick whatever college feels right to them. If you aren't ready to move far away from Mom and Dad, then thats OK. Just moving across town is a good start. Also it's really important that as a freshmen you don't get trapped in a major that you think you want then years later realize you want to do something else. Even if you think you know what you want to do, you have tons of electives, so use them to find out what you are actually interested in. You might fall in love with something you've never even studied before. Visit your advisor on a regular basis: it's easy to waste a lot of money taking classes you think are required that you don't really need! Lastly don't get too caught up in the whole party scene. It's a lot of fun to experiment with alcohol but real life changing mistakes happen when you've had a few too many. Oh and don't get a credit card for a free t-shirt it's not worth it. Seriously.