University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of Cincinnati-Main Campus

Growing up in Cincinnati, UC was always the "default" school--everyone went there--it wasn't anything particularly noteworthy. That was my naivety speaking. Hollywood, friends, and my imagination glorified the out-of-state school experience. The school had to be greater than 120 miles away, flaunt a picturesque campus, and not bear the name of a city or state. I wish I would have had greater perspective about the experience the University of Cincinnati would provide: sound educational, social, and professional opportunity. In short, I wish I would have known UC would provide me with unique, valuable experiences.

My school gave us a broad experience in the field of Industrial Design, that I took every advantage of through CO-OP and corporate sponsored design projects. From all the positive experiences I had during my five years at UC and the years after graduation that my current succesful career could be 10-fold if I knew what I currently know so I could of specifically niched my choosen specialty in Industrial Design. I am glad at my experiences and always am seeking what is coming around the corner in my career in the years to come!

I wish I had known how to be a leader before coming to UC. I am currently learning how, through the many great opportunities I have had since coming to college, but it would have been helpful to already have this skill previously. For instance, I am involved in a planning committee for the Society of Women Engineers at UC. Though I am slowly learning how to lead through my involvement in the group, I would be a much more efficient leader if I did not have to spend valuable time now learning to lead while on the job.

Two things I wish that I had known before I came to the University of Cincinnati are how really important it is to have time management skills in order to be the best student I could be as far as getting my work done in time so that I could relax, without worrying too much about approaching deadlines sneaking up on me. Another thing that I wish I had known before I came to this school is how important it is to fil;l out as many scholarships as you can because they do come in handy. Books are EXPENSIVE!!

I wish I had known what extra-academic acitivities that I should pursue in order to be competitive for post-graduate scholarships like the Rhodes and Marschall Fellowships. Thankfully, I was raised in a family that encouraged a balanced lifestyle so I fully emersed myself in a wide variety of extracurriculars in order to get the full college experience. I also wish that someone had educated me as the benefit of connecting with professors outside of the classroom.

Some of the great areas/experiences off-campus. I am roughly 450 miles from campus and I had know idea there was so much to do in Cincinnati. The Ohio River, Newport on the Levee, malls and shopping areas, Cincinnati Reds, Cincinnati Bengals, and tons more. Cincinnati is really better than most of the country gives credit for. I am glad I had the opportunity to experience some of these venues.

I wish I had learned how important time management would be before coming to college. I had no idea how much I would have to manage between classes, labs, study groups, work, and campus activity. Having a day planner and scheduling classes to minimize days on campus has really helped. Time management was a skill I really had to learn right along with my course material in college!

The main social network that occurs amongst freshman that live in dorms are parties every night of the week. Sometimes it felt like you had to go or else your friends would replace you with someone else. It doesn't matter who you were in high school or what you look like. People choose to be friends with people who have the same interests and it is very easy to make new friends.

What I wish I had known before I came to this school was how far each class was. For example the the same subject classes are in one area, like sciences classes are in one general area. The english classes are in a different area and the classes aren't that close to each other. So a lot of cardio is being done going between each classes trying to get there on time.

I had wish I had known a little more about the lack of safety around campus. Many students chose to live off-campus after their first year of school, and with a lack of saftey many individuals have been the victims or robbery and violence. As a student, you will often recieve messages and email from campus security describing the most recent crime.